So you're having a small dinner party or you're having a date over for dinner, what kind of music do you play?

So you're having a small dinner party or you're having a date over for dinner, what kind of music do you play?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jwjNY2WGUjw
youtube.com/watch?v=QU8T7oY0iO8
soundcloud.com/larshorntveth/kaleidoscopic-1
youtube.com/watch?v=qCAQxoFDs20
youtu.be/MJk61r6iUX8
youtube.com/watch?v=lJryz2ADAUw&app=desktop
youtube.com/watch?v=wWLhrHVySgA
youtube.com/watch?v=QQT3JNvYPR0
youtube.com/watch?v=yM9QRbTg6ZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=WtbgirBSH40
youtube.com/watch?v=P6u2vqGO6_o
youtube.com/watch?v=aGLeBGUmBOE
youtu.be/VRWplROIqfc
youtube.com/watch?v=Faqqs_148i8
itun.es/us/guvmV?i=791762213
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Kind of Blue

Cannibal Corpse

Warrants greatest gits

Dane Cook

traditional music from the food's country of origin

The bad dragon blast radius CD

10/10 choice, user.

either instrumental guitar or hard bop

Ratt, Out of the Cellar

YMH Podcast

probably some early garth brooks

No music. Why would I want to be distracted from the food?

(chew chew chew chew chew chew chew chew chew chew chew swallow)

so how are the kids?

youtube.com/watch?v=jwjNY2WGUjw

dido

Probably Mozart since he's among the greatest, if not the greatest composer. Your prompt isn't specific at all.

The sounds of eating are very important in certain cultures, they indicate enjoyment, etc.

To be fair, some "music" is intended to avoid distraction. Ambient music for example, read up on Erik Satie. That might even be totally essential to people living in noisy areas with weak walls.

Bill Evans is the superior choice, the lack of distinct solo instruments makes for better accompaniment and ambience. Even the famous recordings have diners talking over his music!

>literal plebeian music
Give your guests my condolences.

Bizarre coupling. Are they supposed to be for different scenarios? Bop in general is very excitable and distracting. The advantages of solo guitar are the opposite.

shit.

well not at the SAME TIME nigger

if theyre a jazz crowd, bop. if theyre not, geetar. jazz is definitely more fun, i put that on for a party. guitar for just having a couple or family over, usually

how is indigenous music for plebs? i've never once heard that opinion.

opera
fiona apple
chill trip-hop

MELT BANANA

Didn't mean same time. Just that they seem to have completely opposing rationales.

The majority of those musics are literally for the plebs. A bit like western "folk" music. The folk are the plebs.

Histrionic.

Depends on the type of food

Assuming I'm friends with everyone I invited, whatever the fuck I want. We all have similar interests, hence being friends...

Dream-pop.

Call me a fgt, I don't even care, I love that shit. It's chill enough to be background music.

Check out podcasts of Dinner Party Download from NPR. Good tips on food/music/drink match-ups.

V A P O R W A V E

bluegrass. I live in rural VA.

I really enjoy bluegrass. It's great listening for grilling with whiskey and friends.

speaking as a professional musician

anyone who responds sincerely to this thread warrants unlimited scorn

especially you are hopelessly tasteless

I hire mariachi band

Depends on the person / people.
For actual real dinner parties, I break out an old record set I have called "Mood Music for Dining". Otherwise, I try to tailor the music to suit the people and the food, like different mixes for bbqs, mexican food, holidays, etc.

I generally open pandora and start with Air if I'm having co-workers or people I don't know well over; it generally produces a pretty mellow mix. With friends/family, I generally just choose an album and go from there.

This is a super solid choice for all parties, especially if it's a plebeian who you want to impress, but you know that they have no music background. Mingus is good too.

If the face of music today is any indication of the taste of the average contemporary musician, I have little faith in your opinion, tbqh.

Unless you are first violin, your opinion is invalid. Music during a dinner party can tie together the guests and food together.

>Unless you are first violin, your opinion is invalid.

oh lawd keep digging that hole of hardcore poseurship user

what does that even mean

'hurr durr music today is worse than it used to be'

what metric are you even using

you don't think that aristocrats listened to music? there's a shit ton of music written for consumption by all classes of people of all ethnicities

either way it is a terrible argument. it's like saying that eating lobster is for plebs because it used to be commoner food for poor people.

i don't think you're understanding what hye's saying. he's just saying that 'traditional music' is generally of the non-ruling classes.

Opinion; same as you or anyone else in a thread about music.

>thinks he knows what sincerity is or isn't
>calls Mozart fans tasteless
Sorry but you are literally a band-camp degenerate.

and i'm saying that that isn't true. having access to music is a sign of being an aristocrat. just take the western musical canon for example, since that is what most of you are probably familiar with. almost all famous composers were completely funded by royalty. name a country who had a court culture, and they had music of their own guaranteed.

my second point was that enjoying music for peasants doesnt mean you have pleb taste. user is confusing the traditional use of the word plebeian to be equivalent to the way that Veeky Forums has adopted it, which is to mean unrefined taste. if you are eating a dish that was traditionally eaten by commoners, then it makes sense that you would listen to common traditional music of the time. it is still often good music, just more sparsely orchestrated due to the fact that common people couldn't afford to hire an orchestra for their events.

i didn't call 'mozart fans' tasteless, i called that 'mozart fan' tasteless. do you think you get a free pass in taste because you say mozart makes for good dinner party tunage? just thinking that is a sign of poor taste.

>and i'm saying that that isn't true. having access to music is a sign of being an aristocrat.

patently incorrect

>almost all famous composers were completely funded by royalty

we aren't talking about famous composers

>my second point was that enjoying music for peasants doesnt mean you have pleb taste.

you're just conflating the derogatory meaning of 'pleb' reflecting on the taste of the consumer, with the actual meaning of 'pleb' reflecting on the class in which the music originated. the guy who said 'pleb' in the first place was playing on this conflation and you fell for it.

before recording technology was available, listening to music was a privilege of the wealthy. being able to accompany an event with music was a considerable challenge because it always had to be done live. i don't even know how to argue this further because it is evident in every culture worldwide, from europe to the middle east to asia and to indonesia. all have a tradition of court music as well as a tradition of music of common people. i will not argue this point any further and just urge anyone who disagrees to either try to find a counterexample to stump me (you won't) or pick up a book on ethnomusicology.

i gave the example of western composers to show you that the canon music of most cultures is usually that which was made for the ruling class.

the guy who said 'pleb' in the first place was implying that because world music was for "plebs by class", that it made you a "pleb by taste" for listening to it. i, frankly, think that is a "pleb by taste" opinion.

Why did you think people would care about your opinion?

>before recording technology was available, listening to music was a privilege of the wealthy

no it wasn't

> being able to accompany an event with music was a considerable challenge because it always had to be done live.

everyone has a fucking voice dog

>all have a tradition of court music as well as a tradition of music of common people.

sure. the fact that there is a 'music of common people' kind of undermines your previous point though doesn't it

>i gave the example of western composers to show you that the canon music of most cultures is usually that which was made for the ruling class.

'canon music' is an extremely loaded term

>the guy who said 'pleb' in the first place was implying that because world music was for "plebs by class", that it made you a "pleb by taste" for listening to it.

he was patently doing that facetiously and you went full retard in response.

prior to recording technology, the vast majority of people would never have been able to hear anything that had been composed outside of their community. how do you even dispute this? and you think those people had the same access to music compared to aristocrats, who could afford to house and train professional musicians?

>prior to recording technology, the vast majority of people would never have been able to hear anything that had been composed outside of their community.

all it took was for them to travel outside of their community or for members of another community to travel to theirs. there are manifold historical examples of either scenario. in any case though, it just seems like you're moving the goalposts all over the place and i'm not sure what actual point you're trying to drive at. people in the non-ruling classes had 'access' to music since music began. you've started talking about 'the same' access to music, which is a very different thing. obviously no, it's almost inherently true that two social groups will not have the same access to music as each other. but how you're quantifying that the ruling classes, as a general rule, have *more* access than the non-ruling classes i do not know. there are forms of exclusivity related to wealth and other forms related to culture.

yeah it's because i don't really know what i'm arguing about since we both seem to agree on the fact that there are traditional musics associated with people of all nationalities and social classes. my original point was that i like to choose the appropriate music for the type of food i was eating at dinner. i next took issue with the idea that "most" traditional music is from poor people. i don't think there's a good way to assess which there is "more" of, and i was just trying to show that music for non-plebs has always existed just as music for plebs has always existed. that's really all i have to say, and i've just been doing a bad job of saying it because i've been trying to address every single attack of yours separately.

we /mu/ now

youtube.com/watch?v=QU8T7oY0iO8

A mix of Green Day, Rancid and local ska band music.

Whatever she likes.

Cu/ck/

last time i put this on

soundcloud.com/larshorntveth/kaleidoscopic-1

and then

youtube.com/watch?v=qCAQxoFDs20

Carpenter Brut.

something metal, or prog rock.

youtu.be/MJk61r6iUX8
> link related
if he doesn't enjoy thins kind of stuff while I'm cooking for him, he'd better not waste my time and go home.

Herb Alpert and the Brazil 66. good background music.

No music. I've got Netflix going. Music can be creepy. Netflix also gives you a go-to just in case the conversation gets stale.

vaporwave
a
p
o
r
w
a
vaporwave
e

youtube.com/watch?v=lJryz2ADAUw&app=desktop

Hi me 14 years ago.

Depends on the guests, usually I'll just hire a small violin concerto or have one of the help choose something atmospheric, honestly choosing the wine is what terrifies me, all those bottles in the cellar, mocking me . . .

My nigga

>playing netflix during dinner on a date
Dude that is so fucking wierd. You're putting this barrier between you that is distracting and confusing. Why/how the fuck do you even put yourself through a date if you're too autistic to have a conversation??

Theory of a Deadman

... people in my home?

I'd probably just hide under my bed and cry. They can play whatever they want if they find my CDs.

I\d come to one of your dinner parties any day. I'd even bring my own keg.

youtube.com/watch?v=wWLhrHVySgA

There was a trade in sheet music, and it was very common to learn an instrument.

come forth my brother, your keg is welcome. let us rock.

youtube.com/watch?v=QQT3JNvYPR0

lambert is pretty chill

I never got into Manowar. When I needed a power metal fix, I'd just listen to Blind Guardian.

not him, but Blind Guardian is GOAT, you're good in my book

comfy weeb jazz or perfume

I'd hang out with you.

can you give me some recommendations?
I mainly just listen to beach house.

Agreed. Probably one of my favorite albums is pic related. Though my all time favorite album has to go with Angra - temple of shadows. That's what I'd play anyway.

Beach House is pretty GOAT, man. Try out James Blake, his new album is pretty good. Also Made In Heights is SUPER great to listen to. Enjoy.

thanks senpai.
not entirely the same boat, but some of the stuff by some slow metal bands like the warlocks and dead meadow feels like dream pop but grungier.
Also, if you're looking for new stuff that's a bit different, try Temples - Sun structures. I love it almost as much as beach house.

my life just got more comfy by several orders of magnitude

A date and small dinner party is a big difference.
I have been liking esperanza spalding lately so probably that. John Fahey is good for rustic meals.

Spring
youtube.com/watch?v=yM9QRbTg6ZQ

Summer
youtube.com/watch?v=WtbgirBSH40

Fall
youtube.com/watch?v=P6u2vqGO6_o

Winter
youtube.com/watch?v=aGLeBGUmBOE

And this is how I found really nice music on a cooking board
Thanks anons

As for the topic at hand, my easiest/laziest go-to music for guests is bosa nova
Girl from Ipanema and such works nice
Some lighter jazz that I like (The modern jazz quartet for example)
If I know what they like a bit I'll figure out something more specific

damn this is post is corny even for Veeky Forums

youtu.be/VRWplROIqfc

this is legitimately a 10/10 album but i wouldn't play it at dinner
have some more NOISE for the glory of slaanesh
youtube.com/watch?v=Faqqs_148i8

I like, I like.

Also yeah, I know it's pretty different. I've been listening to a lot of produced stuff recently.

Sad to see the thread hasn't improved beyond the initial assessment here

>i don't think there's a good way to assess which there is "more" of, and i was just trying to show that music for non-plebs has always existed just as music for plebs has always existed
I am the OP that set you off. I didn't reply until this point because I was enjoying your stupidity too much. For example, here you claim "i don't think there's a good way to assess which there is "more" of", and again the pure simplicity of the definitions of folk and aristocratic refute you: one is the masses, the other the elites. I haven't needed to argue with you ITT because instead you refute yourself with poor semantics.

>I've got Netflix going. Music can be creepy
LOW IQ LOW IQ LOW IQ LOW IQ LOW IQ

underrated

You're naive and obtuse.

>sad to see that no one has tried to outponce my poncey post

Renai Circulation

>projecting

>misapplying vague freudian concepts

But it was textbook. That poster was sad that his own poncey posts didn't affect the thread, so he projected that onto a post that in fact had the most replies.

i was responding to someone who said he was sad to see the thread hadn't 'improved' beyond his own post, which was poncey.

at any rate that is very far from 'textbook projection'

Kill yourself faggot.

itun.es/us/guvmV?i=791762213
This. On loop.