So the whole gimmick is putting name brand dry cereal onto donuts?

So the whole gimmick is putting name brand dry cereal onto donuts?
How the fuck is this so popular?
Its the worst idea I have ever heard of.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UFctQMCs3k4
youtube.com/watch?v=K5i-sbh7UCw
youtube.com/watch?v=7tWL5xHVAGQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why is sugar and fat so popular

That's not the WHOLE gimmick, that's just one of their many, many gimmicks. They also do weird flavors (bacon donuts) or name their donuts after celebrities.

I'm honestly surprised the place is so popular, considering it has much more of a "Gen X" style.

how do these taste?

Compared to the regular donuts you get at Dunkin Donuts or Tim Hortons, these donuts are flashy and make good instagram photos. That's why they're so popular.

clearly some genius at Kellogg logged a dank meme down in the minds of these donuts sluts and a deal was made and a donut's hole was cream filled of hot coffee what a fucking player

why is asking why obvious things are popular popular

*over

>86▶
>
>why is asking why obvious things are popular popular
Objective observation posting is a plateau of postings that must boldly be crossed and experienced for the intellect to grow. youtube.com/watch?v=UFctQMCs3k4

>Its the worst idea I have ever heard of.
Obviously not if it is selling well.

there used to be a cupcake place near my home back when cupcakes where a thing, their most famout cupcake was filled with half a jar of nutella and toped with very dense chocolate. It was really cheap too, the place would have been extremely succesful if it opened for more than 4 hours a day.
I never bothered to follow another dumb trend again, people eating that shit are petty and the ones handeling the buisness too stupid to handle a buisness in the first place

youtube.com/watch?v=K5i-sbh7UCw

typos won't make me post nasty things. Sorry satan. You don't even get a capitalized first name. I disrespect you and reject you.

How to have a successful restaurant in the year 2016.

1. Suck yelper's dicks.

2. repeat.

Their maple donut is honestly one of the best donuts I've ever had. Also they are ridiculously cheap, like $1.50.

because they taste nice.

that's like asking why I put tomato ketchup on my hotdog

IT

JUST

WORKS

I like fruit loops, and I like a donut..

There's answer you cuck school pleb. Shouldn't you be making some duck liver pate to put on some truffles you fat greasy fuck.

Hipsters are too young to know that.

No, I think the entire gimmick is having donuts reflect treats and popular foods. For example, the bacon donut. It makes sense someone would make one with maple icing since it reflects what you would see in a breakfast meal.

I don't think it is a bad thing but at least try come up with a more creative way of making a donut rather than just having a reese's donut, oreo donut, and the millions of varieties of cereal donuts.

not even good

toppings are always stale and the donuts themselves just really uninteresting to eat

Is that a bacon stapler?

I had a donut place near me that did shit like this. Decided to go in and buy a box one day, see what the hype was about.

Turned out to be literally store-bought donuts with peanut butter or whatever other topping smeared on them, sprinkled with cereal, pretzels, candy, or whatever else. The donuts were actually stale, probably day olds.

Dunno if Voodoo does this, but all these hipster donut places seem to be very questionable.

went to the one in denver a couple times, overhyped and overpriced sure but they were pretty good. I stuck with a boring cruller both times, though

It is a straigtening iron. If you have ever dated a female, you should know this.

I went to college in Portland 15 years ago and Voodoo Doughnut's was a tiny hole in the wall shop across from where the homeless people hung out; apparently it's finally caught on, because the OP pic looks pretty much the same as I remember (the box wasn't as fancy).

Pok Pok was also a tiny shed in a parking lot that had 6 items on the menu.

what anime is that?

The last time I was in Portland there was a giant line around it. The one in Eugene gets a ton of business too but that's because it's the only thing in that area.

I will say this for Voodoo: their prices are reasonable and their donuts are always fresh. Yeah, it's all gimmick and hype and there's nothing special about what they have but they are fresh and relatively cheap.

Here's the trick, don't get the ones with the cereal on them. Those are for out of towners.

The last time I was in Portland the second location in SE had just opened, and they weren't yet all over the Travel channel.

While their doughnuts are homemade and fresh, I almost always got a Voodoo dozen, which was 14 random doughnuts left over from a batch made earlier in the day for dirt cheap.

It just seems silly that people complain about this new fad of adding cereal and kool aid to doughnuts when I was eating them over a decade ago out of this little quirky hole in the wall shop and then walking home over the Burnside bridge and not thinking twice about it pretentious or gimmicky. It was just ridiculous drunk food to pick up on the way home.

what purpose does avatarfagging on Veeky Forums serve

>I went to college in portland and went to this place that is popular now, but before it was popular
>apparently it's finally caught on
>apparently
Really all you needed to say was "I'm a huge hipster"

yes

That's the funny thing. I love Portland and hope to move back there someday, but I was not at all a hipster, despite everyone around me being hipsters. Going to college in a particular city you just end up at certain places, and I think it's funny that I used to go to places that are now huge, nationwide franchises. The fact that it was in the hipster capital of the world is just incidental. I'm completely out of touch with everything now, but I think that's just because I'm getting old.

>I was not at all a hipster
>But I went to the extremely popular donut place before it was popular
>And now I'm going to go on a huge spiel about how I'm not actually a hipster
Like I said

My friend wants to open a doughnut truck in CA and have me as his baker. I was thinking animal themed doughnuts like cat and giraffe and so forth. Is this entirely too hipster and doomed to fail? I'm a great baker but I've not had a ton of practice with doughnuts.

I've also been eating avocados, sushi, and sriracha for decades and make fun of flyovers who just discovered them and idiotically call them meme/fad foods because they just showed up on the Subway menu. I was just relating how I happened to go to a very popular doughnut shop in a city I lived in before it gained national attention.

Maybe I am a hipster compared to most people here, but I frequently see people claiming that hipsters don't really exist. I've also lived in Brooklyn and the East Side (Brown neighborhood) of Providence, and can assure you that hipsters do exist, and I'm really not one of them, despite wearing thick rimmed glasses and having a beard that goes down to my third nipple.

>I was thinking animal themed doughnuts like cat and giraffe and so forth.
That sounds pointless as fuck, just make good doughnuts.

people with bad taste love novelties for novelty's sake

I mean adding designs is more of a signature thing. Taste is obviously way more important but in a populated area you have to have something eye catching to. I just don't want something that interferes with taste and that's one of the few things I thought of.

unless she got the good hair

those are pretty much for whores

Since when did fucking doughnuts become something you fuss over like you would steak or wine? They're only doughnuts!

Fuck off contrarian trash

Not an anime. American cartoon.
This.

You must be one of the waifu weebs from /b/, get that shit outta here

What's the matter, don't like crunchiness with your soft pastry? Are you some sort of old person with no teeth? A newborn perhaps? Or did you get your braces tightened?

Maybe he just thinks sugary cereals are for plebs.
Froot loops suck and I do not want

Bakers enjoy decorating pastries and cakes with candy and sweet things just so they can look interesting. But donuts are breakfast food, so you can't just put generic candy stuff on it. So when people want to add frilly things, they add breakfast cereal to it.

There. That simple.

>donuts are breakfast food

Disgusting.

If anything doughnuts are drunk/stoned food, or just a dessert, which is why Voodoo Doughnuts is busiest late at night.

oregonfag reporting

portland was always full of hippies. back when admittedly they were actually succeeding in pissing off the government & getting attention, they were infesting the place.

people like to look different. at least millennials do. so the millennials copied their look. couple that with an empty search for 'authenticity' because nothing in their life matters in they slightest, & you get hipster pukes.

now, of course, these people are as soulless & as empty as you can get. the only thing that can even hope to penetrate the fog of their twilight existence is other people saying 'good job'!!!!!

so they search for approval. thanks to social media, they get it if they hang on to trends. (beards/IPAS/knitting/whatever) so the moment somebody finds something even REMOTELY new, everybody hypes it up to no end.

in portland, decent things (voodoo donuts/food carts/IPAs) get hyped up to be THE BEST VERSION OF WHATEVER THERE IS.

yall think you hate hipsters? move to the damn willamette valley & put up with their idiot, spineless, useless lives.

tl;dr, its good but overhyped, like everything in portland

if it's making a lot of money, i don't know how you think it's the worst idea you've ever heard

gross things are gross, simple as that

i will admit it's funny how riled up you just got though

it's steven universe and it is an anime and a good one at that. youtube.com/watch?v=7tWL5xHVAGQ

It's not an anime, just so you know.

yah it is

>tfw a dude with long hair and use a straightener

>ridiculously cheap
>$1.50 for a donut

How is that not cheap for a freshly baked doughnut you could literally split with someone and be full off of?

Donut shops have been opening in Indy.

Generally they are breddy good.

General American Donut Company is pretty good. They have strange donuts but not like the kind in OPs pic.

My favorite they had was a french toast donut.

Another is Rocket Donuts. They are "gluten free/vegan" or some shit. I've had some of their stuff, even the non-gluten stuff and it tastes like a fucking donut so I don't understand the moniker.

Had Jack's - which has been a staple in the area for decades. It sucked. It was boring and like a Krispy Kreme.

Had Long's which is the ghetto donut place and they are great. Best plain cake in indy.

>eat a doughnut
>be full

pick 1

do you seriously count eating a doughnut a meal?

Not full as in satisfied. Full as in, "there's a fucking brick in my stomach, I was just hit with a sugar bomb, and it would be unpleasant to eat anything else right now".

Maybe it would be different if I were a fatass.

he's right user, my wife and I split half a doghnut and still feel bloated :(

That's fine and dandy but dont jack up prices on everything you sell to justify the cost of you going all Willy Wonka on shit I'm never going to order.

>what anime is that?
hue

>$1.50 is cheap for a donut
I can literally go down the street to a donut shop run by a Pollock I live by and get a donut that tastes 10x better and a coffee for $1.

>get a donut that tastes 10x better

Of course it does, because it's not a meme, right?

>my wife
cuck

pussy

Start with animal prints on standard doughnuts, and work your way up to animal shapes once you have more practice.

Just curious, do they make ketchups that aren't tomato based?

Ah yeah this is mostly what i meant other then maybe putting triangle ears on the cat then doing the coloring on top. Pic related. I've never seen them in the US before.

Voodoo Donuts hasn't even been around for 15 years though..

Nigga that's kawaii.

Mushroom ketchup is a thing, if that's what you mean.

Well if you live in SoCal next year I'll probably be making these out of a truck

what the fuck?

It would have opened while they where living there.

He makes its sound like it was there 15 years ago.

Sounds absolutely disgusting.

I will!

>fat
>popular
I wish. There's nothing wrong with it

having lived in portland for several years yeah, it's overhyped, but it's got a few decent choices. What're your thoughts on blue star? i think that's a good god damn ass doughnut if i've ever encountered one.

can never compare

go away NOLA scum

Relax user, it's not as noggy anymore

those make me angry

>freshly baked

Sure thing pal.

The only time I've ever had these was in a hospital while I was with some close friends whose kid just died.

They were pretty good.

I like mayonnaise and I like ketchup but when they are put together they are absolute shit.
because two things are good doesn't mean they are good together

Literally nothing wrong with a coffee and a pastry for breakfast you mong

I'm not sure if you're going for a parody thing at this point or not.

>a coffee and a pastry

One of these doughnuts is like eating a quarter pound slice of birthday cake for breakfast. It's not like having a croissant or some filo dough stuffed with fruit and honey.