Insect Dishes

What is Veeky Forums's favourite bug or insect meat dish?

How do you flavour or prepare?

Is it a sin to eat bugs?

Check the kosher laws in the old testament. They might fall under the same proscription as shellfish, but it was common to eat locusts in biblical times so idk

escamoles are GOAT. literally ant eggs but it pops in your mouth like rice krispies

Most snack insects are disappointingly light. Is there a way to get more bang for your buck with insects as meat goes?

grind into a paste with cooked black beans and make into patties. pretty good with the right seasonings.

Mmm, kosher!

On a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 as the strongest, what's the best insect meat you've tried? Most are in the middle - good texture, zero flavor.

hot and sour crickets, wasabi crickets, bbq flavor crickets. lots of places flavor them like they do potato chips so lots of options

Thanks. The packaged and store bought ones lie about flavoring though.

Jumping off from this. Does anybody know if pet store crickets are of the edible variety? I was thinking of buying some for raising.

Salted deep fried grasshopper / crickets is the greatest fucking thing to have with warm rich.

Not imposible, but I heard their flavor can be quite disgusting if you don't use appropriate feed for them.

Also they stink to high heaven; raising them in any large quantity can get stessful

They should be safe to eat. I don't eat bugs but from feeding my tarantula I know that the reason you should use pet store crickets instead of wild crickets is because you know the pet store crickets won't have pesticides or any other poison on them.

sea cockroach alfredo

The species they sell are edible if that's what you mean. Acheta domesticus (one of the species you're likely to find in a pet store) are supposedly very popular in Thailand even over native species.

gross

>eating animal protein is gross

Go find a vegan thread. This is not for you.

Has anyone tried the snack crickets they sell at Hot Topic? How are they?

They're okay. A little too dry for my taste. Expensive as fuck too.

I really hate how insects in the US are either an overpriced novelty or an overpriced "superfood".

Best tasting insects I've tried were mealworms. I raised a small colony when I kept hermit crabs and would munch on one every once in a while.

That's true for almost any food in the US that isn't based on a comfortably familiar diet. Reptile meat has the same problem. Even gator tail, which is an American food through and through.

80% of all species on earth are arthropods, if anything you're the gross one for not sampling them.

Gator tail is expensive due to limited supply. There aren't a lot of gator hunters and the gators only live in the South.

nice shrimp fiddler, where'd you get yours?

you people are strange

I don't eat much outside of roasted earthworms, which taste like crunchy cocktail sausages

>trying new foods is strange

What are you even doing on Veeky Forums if you're not at least a little bit of a gourmet?

Silkworms stir-fried in chili oil. Damn good.

Is this like Veeky Forums's version of /TV/'s crab legs at the movie theater meme???

Nearly half of the threads on Veeky Forums are related to fast food nonsense. I'd guess that a depressingly large percentage of Veeky Forumsers have basically 0 interest in food.

There are kosher locust, no problem

No, because insects are edible and cookable if you can find them.

Who knows though, crab legs at the movie theater might be a thing in some cultures. Sunflower seeds take the place of popcorn in some places. It's not a long shot to think about.

this is good too.

Tried the crickets. These are next on my list.

what did you think?

Packaging lied about the flavor. Shell was a little harder to chew than expected.

>I really hate how insects in the US are either an overpriced novelty or an overpriced "superfood".
You should hang out with more SEA people. I remember several years back going to a graduation party for a Vietnamese friend. There were trays full of crickets and some kind of insect larvae as well as a ton of other amazing dishes. I took a little of everything, and I don't regret it at all. I don't know where they source their bugs from but I can't imagine they'd spend novelty prices for stuff like that. I'd go to more Viet gatherings if the food's as good as that was.

You need to be put down.

Bugs are fucking gross. I don't want to be near them when they're alive, I definitely don't want to eat them.

Only negroes, squints, aboriginals, toads, and total fags eat fucking bugs. Disgusting.

One of my biggest food regrets is not picking up the package of silkworms I saw at an Asian grocery store while out of town.

bought these for halloween to slip into my friend's drink like an asshole, ended up just eating one when i was drunk. not bad. i have the crickets still but don't have the balls to eat one lmao