I'm proud of this plate/dish

i'm proud of this plate/dish.

>discuss

Whose fat fucking crab hands are those?

same dish, different plate..

>rock fish crudo (picked up w nice finishing olive oil/maldon salt)
>buttermilk/ramp dressing
>radish puree
>cara cara orange
>serrano peppers
>kumquat
>seabean
>fennel frond
>watermelon radish

how am i supposed to eat that cluttered mess

lmao..

those are the hands of a server. characteristically doughy/bloated and soft looking from never having had to actually work for their money

I call it "Some fucking slugs crawled into my vegetable garden. Then died."

forgot the lightly pickled cucumber and hearts of palm..

shit was tedious to plate

however you want, m8. make your own bites/flavor combos.

thats why u gay

it looks like you're trying too hard to fuse Noma with California sushi restaurants.
6/10 for plating, too complicated with too many components otherwise.

beet salad

Im not sure i get. It looks like a food network game show product that would be laughed at as trying to hard with too little substance. I feel like a soil, flower or other substance that takes it into not feeling like food might have been a way to go, albeit thats all somewhat played out.

Break it down for us, what is it and why does it work together? Do we eat it with chop sticks?

Nigger did you just steal someone's rose garden?

It's poorly spaced, and the saucing/garnish isn't as well executed as the ambition of the plating.

The fish also looks like the leftover bits after the dishwasher did a hack job prepping the fillets.

where's the beet

the main flavors are the rockfish, buttermilk/ramp dressing, radish puree, and pickled cucumber/hearts of palm.

the rest is just garnish that looks nice and works with the flavor profile.

half the ingredients are garnish.. they could be omitted without throwing the dish off. i like making food that the customer is gonna look at and be like "what the fuck is this?"

So did you just grab a handful of sauce and ingredients and throw them at the plate?

>the main flavors are the rockfish, buttermilk/ramp dressing, radish puree, and pickled cucumber/hearts of palm.
>How can I literally kill as many organisms as possible for the least amount of food
Ah modernity. Slaanesh can't come and wipe it all away fast enough for my liking.

for the garnishes? yeah, basically

the rockfish came in the form of filets, we just had to pull the pin bones out. they weren't like, nice immaculate salmon or tuna filets.

pls elaborate

>implying all of these organisms were slain for the sole purpose of creating this dish

nah man

vegetarian version w grilled asparagus for a tasting course

Well you better have divided them up pretty damn good because this dish cost:

- At least one rockfish
- Several ramps
- Several radishes
- Cucumbers, which are fruits so don't really count
- And A FUCKING TREE

Heart of palm is one of the most wasteful foods on the planet. It's killing a fucking tree for a cabbage. DEGENERATE AS FUCK.

last one.. charred octopus, carrot puree, cumin yogurt, tobirashi honey

Garnish is a lack of cleverness and depth here. It is literally made for a photo, and not to surprise the consumer. Remove the garnish, and try to replicate the visual elements you liked about it but with food of real substance. You are doing high school level abstract art, you need to step it up.

that's so retarded..

it took a handful of ramps to make the quart of dressing of which there's like two tbsp on the dish, several radishes to make the whole quart of puree of which theres a tbsp or two on the dish, HoP is wasteful but who cares it took like a fraction of a palm heart to slice thin and pickle enough to fill half a quart.

as for the fish, it's half a filet sooo 4 orders per fish.

The heart of palm alone required the felling of a TREE for that puny dish.

ordinarily i'd agree with you, but for a crudo?

nah. i stand by the garnishing of raw fish with raw fruits and veg

You sure thats not a salad? I like it visually, but where is the octopus? If you were going to go all artsy, you couldnt use the unique appearance of a tentacle? Is carrot and octopus good? Ive never had it, but I suppose it could work as grill octopus is relatively neutral.

Vegetarians are such losers.

>heart of palm is one of the most wasteful foods on the planet

Palm trees are basically giant weeds. Just wait until you learn about micro greens.

If they make sense to create a number of combinations within the plate, you are right. But you really look like much of what is there is only for visual impact. I guess the only real way to know would be to taste it. It is nice to see someone who knows what they are doing posting, so keep it up.

for that, we did the octopus in a pot of water/white wine/mire poix/lemon/herbs and simmered it for an hour. then, we pulled the octopus and wrapped the tentacles tightly in saran wrap after sprinkling with salt/lemon zest/meat glue, then smashed them into terrine molds.

then, because of the natural gelatin/collagen in the cooked puss, it will bind together into a rectangular form where we sliced off slices and charred them on the grill.

It looks like everything is covered up by old basil stems where the leaves have turned black and mushy.

Otherwise it's ambitious, and the colors are nice, it just seems like you're overshooting your ability and falling flat on the execution. Looks like the talented kid in first year culinary school trying to copy the pictures from his Michelin cookbooks.

>ohh let me cram all this shit onto one plate
>sprinkle sprinkle
>garnish it up
>looks like a cluttered mess

might as well scoop it into a bowl and eat it like cereal..

your dish needs a focus.

it's watercress, m8.

how was it not executed properly?

everything is there first and foremost for the flavor profile.. aside from the fennel fronds, everything on the plate is there because it jives with the other flavors and scope of the dish

>however you want, m8. make your own bites/flavor combos.
Wrong answer. If the customer looks at a plate and doesn't know how they're supposed to eat it, then you played it incorrectly.

that's not even valid criticism.. that's pure conjecture on your part.

>flavor profile
>l
>a
>v
>o
>r

>p
>r
>o
>f
>i
>l
>e

what the fuck are those hideous green tentacle antler things in the center. looks like pipe cleaners

sea beanz

i mean dude, when you're trying to present a food of some sort, you try to make a profile of flavors. it's like writing a piece of music, same shit.

>it's watercress

Maybe it's the lighting, but it still looks really dark for watercress.

>how was it not executed properly

Aside from the heavy watercress with those heavy stems bogging down the entire thing, the line of honey looks sloppy. It honestly might just be an optical illusion caused by the combination of the distracting design on the plate (which really doesn't compliment the dish, color wise), and the staggered yogurt poofs. It would also be nice to be able to see the octopus.

valid points, thanks for the criticism.. i agree with everything but the plate not complimenting the dish

It looks like Jackson Pollock's bathroom floor after a particularly nasty bender. Holy shit are those confusing and unappetizing.

This one's much better. There's an actual idea here, trying to manifest itself. Keep at it.

Very nice plate, you should clean it and serve a meal there tho

>but the plate not complimenting the dish

It just seems to over-complicate the presentation, and make the dish look overly busy. The lone yogurt dots on the bottom half also seem to disappear into it.

>beet salad
>no beets

wtf bro?

>no beets
>can't see the black shapes amongst the lettuce

cmon

honestly, that's what i was going for. busy and kinda confusing, w the solid dots and opposing colors against the pattern on the plate

Hey, if that's what you were going for.

I'm honestly just nitpicking since you asked. I'm a bigger critic of myself than anyone else.

>that's what i was going for. busy and kinda confusing
Oh, so you want to give diners a headache and make them want to go lie down? Fuck you, you don't know what you're doing.

This. Try-harding without the requisite skill to pull it off.

it looked the way i wanted it to, overall. stop being so dramatic.

word, i appreciate the nit picking.. thanks

Wtf is this?

The whole idea of a deconstructed plate is to understand what you're doing in the first place. Doesn't help if you don't even know how to eat it. The plating should very clearly direct you.

Let's just throw stuff at the plate and smear some shit. It'll look like cool and the customers will be like, I'm too pleb to understand.

that dish has like half the components as the OP.. i totally disagree with your main point of your post desu.

food can be interprative and i don't think you always need to lead the diner by the hand in order for them to eat your food

It looks like shit. Why did you intend for it to look like shit? Imagine if you took an art class and your professor offered some criticism and you responded with, "No, I MEANT it to look like an overzealous first year's attempt! Nothing to work on here!" You'd look like an idiot.

Plating isnt about, lets make it look cool just to look cool. Everything should have a reason to be there

i intentionally used that plate and plated it that way to be as busy as possible. if it didn't work, it didn't work.. but it wasn't an accident that it looked that way.

that's all i'm saying

i feel it.. i love a nice, refined plating as much as the next guy and i'm adequate at plating in that style. i think the OP looks neat, and im proud of it

>pic related
>minimalist, clean as fuck

This one actually looks halfway decent, if a little prententious.

A fair arguement. The main point of my arguement is that you should, as a chef and a professional, have a reason for every item that's on the plate. Basic principles of not only design, but cooking. Do I need paprika in my mac and cheese? Do I need to add saffron to my steak? Do I have a reason to try it or am I just doing it cuz why the fuck not?

This doesn't mean you can't. It means if you don't know why something is there, you won't be able to utilize it properly.

>It's there for garnish
Everything on a plate is a garnish. Even a steak is just a garnish.

So you attacked the diner. Fuck you. Take up boxing, or video games if you just want to fuck people's shit up.

What was your train of thought that lead to you thinking, Crudo should look crazy busy. Help us understand where you were coming from and what you were trying to accomplish.

i think it's rad to do things just cuz why the fuck not.. for example, earlier we were doing fried pig ear tossed in guatillo ketchup, sauerkraut, and a coconut/lime espuma in mini squid ink hard shell tacos as an amuse because why the fuck not

but i get what you're saying.

>as an amuse because why the fuck not
Is totally different from "i'm proud of this"

the comment you quoted was referencing the octopus.. but anyway, i thought the pastel colors looked pretty on the plate and once the fish was down i just garnished with complimentary ingredients until i felt it looked right

>Everything should have a reason to be there
then why would you smear the condiment on the edge of the plate you're just asking for a mess or flipping over the dish

you know what, man? you have a valid point..

thanks, i hadn't looked at it like this before.

I've been trying to find the photo of a veg plate a buddy of mine did a year or two ago that was crazy busy but still looked great, but I have been unable to locate it.

I keep looking at the crudo plate and it bothers me.

i mean i'd love to see it!

here's a busy plate from a few months ago that i think works

That dish in particular is a deconstructed sandwich. The smear is some kind of mustard, I forgot what it was(not my plate).

The idea is what OP is suggesting. To move things around the plate. The positioning of the smear itself is to balance the plate visually. If it was underneath, then the big empty space would look weird, and the plate would look more empty. Because the smear is to the side, it encourages movement. Most people eating this kind of food aren't wildly lunging around their plate. The plate itself has a steep lip as well to keep the condiments inside.

Most of these look like lawn trimmings and semen . Are you trying to see what you can get away with before someone tells you it's stupid to your face?

rabbi vacation

Dirty mermaid pussy

Poverty line

Things that bounced off the dumpster(on a fucking plank)

Grass taco snowstorm

Bear vomit

So you just throw shit on a plate?

Cajun crawfish boils have better presentation than that. And flavor, from your description

Twigs all over the plate

>no thanks

You need some restraint. You're trying too hard

All this food is awful.

It feels very amateurish, and a very bad attempt at Trying to look fancy. A cleaner, tighter presentation with fewer elements would have been better. Dishes with over 4 core tastes or ingredients are often confusing and undirected

this is your only freehand plate that looks ok

the sauces in particular look absolutely awful in the OP, but fuck everything about it is terrible. if you're putting multiple pieces of the same thing on a big rectangular plate why the fuck would you do it in a way that is so haphazardly organised. the colours could look perfectly attractive but the way it's all in rubble and drips just makes it look like it's been wiped on an apron

Is that salsify rolled in lime zest?

pretty much this, I'd start looking for a new job, whatever restaurant you work for isn't going to be around for very long. I'd never visit it just based on the images.

>Dishes with over 4 core tastes or ingredients are often confusing and undirected

that's really restrictive.

looks [spoiler]delish[/spoiler]

4 core tastes does not mean you can't use other things. However when I see

>rock fish crudo (picked up w nice finishing olive oil/maldon salt)
>buttermilk/ramp dressing
>radish puree
>cara cara orange
>serrano peppers
>kumquat
>seabean
>fennel frond
>watermelon radish

I can tell that they are all very individual flavours, and half of them are redundant because of the other half.

You have to look at every dish you create and think "why is this particular ingredient there. What does it add?"

"Just because I can lol" is not a reason. You will get laughed at by your peers (this thread case in point) for failing to understand the value of simplicity.

you nailed the decor, but where is the food?
Happens to the best in a dinner rush, so no worrys.

Literal same fag trying to save his thread

Tbh I would request chopsticks

OP I fuckin appreciate your dishes, they look delicious and they're beautiful

Can you stop op, this is pathetic

it looks like shit.
probably tastes nice but looks terrible.
should make it all more central and less scattered

what gives it away, the nail polish? Retard

very inefficient use of space

0/10 see me after class

those are horrible. they look horrible.

it's prolly good but i really dislike this type of serving, splattering it all over the plate

Looks messy, but then again I don't know shit about plating a fish.

Just stop, it's obvious what you're trying to mimic but it just looks horrible, everything from how everything is cut to the sauce/puree looks like shit and on top of that it's all over the place and looks like some fancy bum made a platter of garbage for himself to down his moonshine easier.

>maximum damage control

I had a little respect for you OP, you know for actually trying. Let this be a reminder that women can't take criticism and will go as far as pulling insane mental gymnastics to make themselves feel good.

Ok I'm going to give you some real advice, and I'm going to ignore the fact that you're trying way to hard to do the whole scattered plate bullshit to do it.

If you're going to do 'artsy' blobs and smears of sauces, you have to at least MAKE THEM LOOK GOOD. Smears should have a nice consistent curve, and blobs should have as clean and even an edge as possible.

Even for the type of pretentious presentation you were going for, this looks like shit.

simpler = better

That is a goddamned disaster. Stop it

OP, get two more sources of light.
The sauce looks like painted with fingers.