Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums,

I'll be turning 21 pretty soon and I'm thinking the first thing I'll do to celebrate will be to mix myself an old fashioned, since I'm a big fan of them and I've never been able to acquire the ingredients.

My quandary is this: as far as whiskey is concerned I only have any real experience with scotch. I've never tried using scotch in a cocktail, (that stuff is precious) but I've also heard that you shouldn't try to do this kind of thing with scotch anyway, as a rule.

I'm aware that the whiskey of choice here is rye, but I have never even tasted the stuff. (Apart from as part of the aforementioned cocktail.) I'm hoping one of you guys can recommend me something good. It's a special occasion, after all.

Other urls found in this thread:

ediblemilwaukee.com/mke-mixology/wisconsins-unofficial-state-cocktail/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

rye whiskey? try to find some whistle pig since you sound like a richfag.

First off, where do you live so I can get an idea of prices and how much do you want to spend on a bottle?

I'll look for it, thanks a lot

You could do it the Wisconsin way and use brandy instead.

Here's the history of it with a recipe at the end: ediblemilwaukee.com/mke-mixology/wisconsins-unofficial-state-cocktail/

I'm in Seattle, and high limit would probably be like $150 for something really special. That said once you get past a certain point you won't be able to tell the difference unless you have a lot of experience, so for all intents and purposes money isn't a concern. Believe me, I'm not expecting to dish out that much on something that I've never tasted before.

Still want the good stuff though.

>isn't a concern
*shouldn't be

>Seattle
That's what I was afraid of. Highest liquor taxes in the country.

Look for Four Roses Single Barrel if you want a great sipping bourbon instead of rye.

>Highest liquor taxes in the country
Fuck, I thought everything seemed more expensive here.

Well, I'll be in California for a while around the time I need it. Or I might just eat the cost. Thanks though.

stay mad

bit too late for that fag

>that """clever""" line took him 3 minutes to come up with

>rye
>old fashioned

No. It's a sweet drink and it requires sweet whiskey. Bourbon is the default, but you could experiment with some fruity Lowlands scotches if you really wanted to.

No, rye IS the traditional whiskey for traditional cocktails, including the Old Fashioned. You're adding sugar, so you don't need an especially sweet whiskey. You can use bourbon, and bourbon has been used in Old Fashioned cocktails for a very long time, but I would choose one with a sufficient rye kick, rather than a sweet wheater like Maker's Mark.

>I've never been able to acquire the ingredients.
Do you have no friends with older siblings or enough money to bribe someone to buy you some stuff?

Hey not trying to hijack your thread, OP, just didn't feel like this deserved its own thread and this seemed like the most relevant place to ask:

Can any of you anons reccomend a good brand of rum for a pleb with a limited budget? I wanted to make a few zombies with my friends and Ive only had rum once or twice. Seemed smart to stick to one brand for the ~3 types of rum used in the recipe. Is Bacardi any good?

Cruzan

Also gonna hijack this thread.
Turning 21 in a few hours and I'm probably gonna grab something to eat later with my pals. Never really had beer before, but it's not my first time with alcohol. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks user

kill yourself, sodomy-enjoying faggot

I have a lot of expreience with going out drinking at various bars and I feel that I have some obligation to warn you that if you take too long to decide what type of beer to get, people will start chucking apples at you until you choose a Redd's Apple Ale. Choose whatever drink you want, but have one in mind beforehand. You've been warned.

what's so great about whiskey anyway? I've been drinking gin for 2 years

no one cares

sorry, i forgot most people on Veeky Forums are on the spectrum and can't carry a real conversation.

the emphasis is on this first question. which can be translated to "why do you like whisky?". the second piece, which is a statement, can be translated to, "i drink gin so I'd like to know why you like whisky."

I never use anything but Mount Gay

Stout is the shit. I was first introduced to it with guinness but there's plenty of stuff that's made closer to home

autists btfo

I'm really into the smoky-peaty taste of scotch, especially Islay. Gin's good but I've never found the taste that interesting

Bacardi is literally High School Badass: The Drink

If your rum is clear, then it's shit and you should throw it away immediately. Rum should be golden brown, just like in the old days

that's cool. I've always wanted to try scotch whisky but i see that bottles at the liquor store and see that they go from $35 to $100 and find myself wondering, "i don't even know if I'd like this and i don't want to waste money and i already have cocktail ingredients for gin drinks.", so i buy the gin bottle which goes for $15 - $30. I've had the Jim beam bourbon at parties and it wasn't to my liking, i don't suppose this is a good representation whiskies, as it's only one brand?

Jim Beam and Jack Daniels are underage dorm party meme drinks, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Somebody else more knowledgeable on bourbon here can surely point you in the right direction.

Order some Laphroaig at a bar some time. It's the first scotch I ever had, one of the best, and still my favorite. It's also not for everyone, (lots of peat) so don't be discouraged if you don't like it and just ask for something from the highlands.

A 10 year bottle of this stuff will run you around $50. It's worth it in my opinion, but by all means don't jump straight in, that's what bars are for.

that's good to hear that the jim beam is not the end of bourbon. now to find a bar that not only stocks that brand of scotch but also a variety of drinks that you can find outside of rite aid and serves a decent cocktail and doesn't contain my high-school dropout friends

>now to find a bar that not only stocks that brand of scotch but also a variety of drinks that you can find outside of rite aid and serves a decent cocktail and doesn't contain my high-school dropout friends

OP: get a bottle of Rittenhouse bonded rye.

Rum guy: get some Diplomatico.

I have to know: is this jap shit just a meme spread by weeaboos? Is it actually new and interesting? Is it actually good?

I've heard anons on here say it's not better than scotch around the same price.

I wouldn't expect it to be, but if it's as good then that's enough reason for me to try it. Scotch is delicious.

I never rated it when it was readily available and a thrid of the price, pretty tame, easy drinking and boring DESU

I had some suntor hibiki 17 the other day, it's excellent, definitely worth a try