Cryptocurrency Miners Are Apparently Hampering The Search For Extraterrestrial Life

Look at what you've done, Veeky Forums

>RT is reporting The SETI@Home Project, which is hosted by UC Berkeley and uses "public resource computing" to analyze radio telescope signals, recently said "their plans to expand operations have been scuppered by the short supply of crucial computer components."
>When interviewed by the BBC, Dan Werthimer, a chief scientist at Berkeley's SETI Research Center, commented, "That's limiting our search for extraterrestrials, to try to answer the question, 'Are we alone? Is there anybody out there?'"
>Per RT's article:
>GPUs (graphics processing units) are high-performance chips used by radio astronomers, video gamers and, most recently, Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency miners. This has reportedly caused an increase in demand and a shortage of supply.
>"This is a new problem, it's only happened on orders we've been trying to make in the last couple of months," Werthimer added.
>The cost of high-end GPUs purchased by the group has doubled in the midst of cryptocurrency fever, from $1,000 to $2,000, Werthimer told RT.

newsmediawatchdog.com/single-post/2018/02/14/Cryptocurrency-Miners-Are-Apparently-Hampering-Search-For-Extraterrestrial-Life

Other urls found in this thread:

citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download;jsessionid=DDA581A541931E57EFF8B5D3C797DBB7?doi=10.1.1.548.8184&rep=rep1&type=pdf
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wow!_signal
archive.org/details/TheCometaReport
youtu.be/6E7aqCaekDA
experiment.com
seti.org/node/3280
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Now we'll never find the ayylmaos

I'm not in favour of mining but why don't these scientists get it factory made?

when we overturn the old (((financial system))) we can devote 100x the resources to space exploration

Well they could integrate mining for AlienCoins as a solution to their issues as well.

They didn't adapt.

doesn't their network of volunteer computers make up almost all their searching power?

SETI@Home is a bit like mining for free, you donate your processing power to them, they will be pissed because people will be choosing to get paid instead of finding aliens for them.

Because that's probably more expensive than buying video cards at high markup

Pretty sure anyone could make an ERC20 token for this. Just have to work with them to point miners to their SETI at home project.

setiathome.berkeley.edu/

What’s even the point in doing this? We’re too far away to make meaningful contact. I’ll await your reply in 100 years

Maybe they should create a coin instead of complaining

Faggot Xenos better stay away from my stash of LINK bah Gawd

LOL Dude. SETIcoin confirmed 2018 ICO.

STEP RIGHT UP SIRS LISTEN UP FOLKS FOR THE PRICE OF 10 CUPS OF COFFEE YOU TOO COULD BE OWNER OF SETICOIN THE NEWEST BLOCKCHAIN TECHNOLOGY THAT INSTEAD OF ARTIFICIALLY LOWERING THE REWARD RATE BY MAKING A DIFFICULT HASH REQUIREMENT, AND THUS NEEDLESSLY EXPENDING PROCESSOR POWER, THAT PROCESSING COULD INSTEAD BE USED TO CRUCH SETI DATA.

WHY BUY OUR COIN? SIMPLE!! BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE WILL BUY IT TOO!! WHAT ARE YOU, A NOCOINER?? BUY LOW SELL HIGH YOU FUCKING PEASANTS! WHEN THE ALIENS LAND, THEY JUST MIGHT MAKE SETICOIN HOLDERS THE NEWEST BRANCH OF THEIR GALACTIC PONZI SCHEME.

STEP RIGHT UP!!

gee yeah if only that existed

Brilliant idea.

>tfw you realize that aliens created crypto to hinder humans from finding them

/x/fags cucked into oblivion lmao

3deep5me

aliens BTFO

imo we shouldn't find aliens we should be the aliens and let something else find us. these SETI faggots are painting a target on earth for a race that may or may not be godlike compared to us

Shit the alien hunters can wait 25 years for quantum computing, crypto is in its infancy and and the opportunity won’t last forever, aliens will be around forever.

SETI is a fucking joke. Here's why:
>Radio Leakage: Is anybody listening?
>Brian von Konsky
PDF warning:
citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download;jsessionid=DDA581A541931E57EFF8B5D3C797DBB7?doi=10.1.1.548.8184&rep=rep1&type=pdf

The bottom line is that the current SETI projects are a waste of time. Even at the nearest start you'd need a dish the size of a continent to pick up TV and radio from Earth.

You'd need an intense directional beam to detect anything at interstellar distances. So someone would have to be beaming right at us on full power for us to ever have a chance. They act like we're going to pick the alien version of "I love Lucy" from Rigel or Procyon but that's silly and unrealistic.

Maybe if a powerful radar sweep or directional message just happened by coincidence to be aimed right at Earth we could see it. But that would only happen like once a century on accident......... en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wow!_signal

So what's the point of SETI? It's so useless nerds can jack off about Fermi's paradox.

>Ooohh it's just so fucking mysterious guys!! If the aliens are out there why can't we hear them?? What a big mystery!? It's just so exciting. Now excuse me while I drink my soy milk and watch Bill Nye.

The aliens are too far away and normal signals are too weak. That's the god damn answer. All this Fermi's paradox and "great filter" stuff is complete and total bullshit.

The whole time they're looking in the wrong place they're adamant about ignoring any real hints about alien life:

archive.org/details/TheCometaReport

*nearest star

>make coin that uses SETI computations as PoW
>advertise it as an alternative to "wasteful" crypto like btc
>??????
>billions in crypto funding and find aliens
Brainlet ""scientists""

Confirmation that someone else is out there. But yeah, Discovering alien life wouldn't be quite like what most people imagine. The most likely scenarios are probably:

>find some shitty bacteria on a moon
>hear radio signals from someone light years away
>nothing because the universe is just way too big

I actually thought bitcoin might be an alien in nature given to us at the exact right time.

SETI is the biggest waste of money I’ve ever heard of.

who gives a fuck honestly? I need to make money, aliens can come visit if they're so smart

You forgot
>1000 years later 100 kinetic impactors moving at relativistic speed blast the earth into dust

>>find some shitty bacteria on a moon
Already happened and the brilliant idiot ivy league types decided to ignore it like they ignore everything significant: youtu.be/6E7aqCaekDA

kek

The real questions here is why can't they make any more fucking GPUs, how are they not fucking aware of the exponential demand in the next decade?

>please keep giving us free processing power for no return

Are scientists the ultimate cucks?

just think, you typed that

> whaaaa it’s other people fault I don’t get my way.

My ID got trips and confirmed I will have countless hookers in 2018

May the gods and the ayylmaos smile upon you user.

You have no idea how discoupled they are from reality, and especially economics. Letting the government handle sciences was a huge mistake.

They'll all have to turn to crowd funding after the government is too broke for gibs, I mean, grants experiment.com

looking for them and analyzing data is fine, but we should not let them know where we are

Unless their radio emissions were 10^100 times as powerful as ours. They're probably never going to find anything but it's still important to look. They might find something else such as a steller phenomena we're currently unaware of, one that may even help us develop new technologies.

The point is we don't know so we should be looking.

Please tell me you don't take Russia Today serious as a news source?

How many high-end gfx cards do you need to analyze radio signals? Let's be generous and say 1K, so the additional $300 will be $300K if they ever replaced all cards at once, which is not going to happen. That's not going to break the bank. Probably the interview went like this

Scientist: "Well, we had this nasty surprise when we bought another 10 cards we had to wait two weeks and pay $3k plus because some miner kids are all buying them by the plane load. Not a show-stopper, but goes to show blah blah".

RT: "OK, so you are saying this is a deadly blow to your plans on expanding the facility's analysis capabilities? Thanks for the interview"

Just make ETcoin or something and payout people to rent their GPUS

Basically DBC for ayylmao searching

>most recently bitcoin miners

Yeah they don't know what the fuck they are even saying. Who gives a shit.

SO BUILD MORE COMPUTERS YOU STUPID FAGGOTS

OH GEE WHIZ MAYBE IT WAS A BAD IDEA TO LET CHINA MONOPOLIZE MANUFACTURING OF CRITICAL TECHNOLOGY???!!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

seti.org/node/3280

You guys realize Seti is chilling Gridcoin right?

seti is fake, signals will not penetrate the dome

You're not wrong, it's really the dishonest presentation that I find so offensive. The mainstream types act like if there were other civilizations we would have heard their broadcasts. Not so!

But they will just not drop the tired old Fermi's paradox trope.

On top of that they act like ETs couldn't get here. Also not true!

Von Neumann probes and nuclear propulsion are good enough even if FTL is impossible. Earth has had an oxygen rich atmosphere for enough time that sufficiently large optical telescopes would be able to see that and clue them in to come here as well.

So the lack of FTL is not sufficient to dismiss UFO data.

But the line we hear Shill Nye and Seth Shostak types is:
> HURR DURR UFOS COULDN'T BE ETS SPACE IS JUST TOO DARN VAST . LOL WHY CANT HEAR ALIUM RADIO ?? ITS SO WIERD HAHA

seti is TRASH, it's just another way for (((them))) to get money for their fake ass space science that's not really looking for anything.

>But the line we hear Shill Nye and Seth Shostak types is:
>> HURR DURR UFOS COULDN'T BE ETS SPACE IS JUST TOO DARN VAST . LOL WHY CANT HEAR ALIUM RADIO ?? ITS SO WIERD HAHA
This. All our space research is run by a bunch of phoneys.

good. i dont want to be giving foreign aid to some space niggers. spend my tax dollars on population reduction operations in africa, not on space niggers.