Wendy's to make large automation push in response to bernie sanders

investors.com/politics/policy/wendys-serves-up-kiosks-as-wages-rise-hits-fast-food-group/

>This is the problem with Bernie Sanders, and Hillary Clinton, and progressives who push very hard to raise the minimum wage," says Puzder CEO of Carl's Jr/Hardees. "Does it really help if Sally makes $3 more an hour if Suzie has no job?"

Bernie Sanders and liberals have pushed Wendy's into deploying automated kiosks to over 6,000 stores by the end of the year.

The company cites the coming rise of minimum wage as the main impetus to invest more heavily into automation. The higher wages make it more appealing to switch to fully automated stores.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FmXLqImT1wE
youtube.com/watch?v=iQ_fSP3LGw8
youtu.be/7Pq-S557XQU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So bernie pushes innovation and gives society as a whole more resources to work with?
good.

What's the point of this thread? Fuck off

It'll be okay.

Those people who are out of work can just be placed on welfare.

See? Problem solved!

Good, why jobs like that even exist anymore is pretty baffling.

The democratic way

they'll actually be able to reeducate to an industry that isn't being artificially kept alive because it's momentarily cheaper to employ borderline slavelabor, because the system will support education of those that aren't wealthy.

So technology evolves making some jobs obsolete? Yeah, that's never happened before, right?

>No more humans working the counters.
>No one to fuck up your order.
>No one for some moron being "served" to yell at.

Nothing of value will be lost.

DEATH TO THE BLUE COLLARS

Someone's still gotta prepare the orders. There are no robots to grill those burgers and squirt their sauce into them yet.

jesus fuck that article is much longer than it needs to be.

DEATH TO SOME OF THE BLUE COLLARS BUT NOT ALL

>OPEN THE GATE JUST A LITTLE

Most fast food work could be automated, probably all

The Sonic Drive-in in my small little town of Nowhereville rolled out touch screens. If we're (of all places) getting it, then it's only a matter of time before you see this everywhere. Just think how quick they were to roll-out the new drink machines. They've been getting customers used to touch screens for awhile now. Smartphones and self-checkouts at the grocery store have everyone very comfortable with the technology.

Right now, they still take your order at Sonic by voice, but I'm pretty sure they're going to update the software to do this eventually. I've thought for years that they should do this.

It's strange to think that McDonald's could potentially be getting drive-ins again. Or maybe they'll go out of business, and Sonic will take over because they already have the infrastructure. That would be a weird future, and not the one the prophecies foretold of in the greatest movie ever made, Demolition Man. The Fast Food Wars are upon us, men!

Stealth /pol/ thread disguised as a Veeky Forums thread by dressing it up as something many fast food places have been thinking about doing for a while anyway.

This isn't news, it's capitalism at work.

we can probably do order automation on an industrial scale right now

we might be able to make a few robots that can do some level of order preparation but definitely not on an industry wide level.

flipping burgers isn't blue collar work

>Wendy's to make large automation push in response to bernie sanders

Sanders isn't even going to win the democratic primary. The "threat" of Sanders is non existent and this is purely a publicity thing. Wendy's was switching to automation regardless of minimum wage.

Jesus fuck they are either going to have to institute universal basic income or the ruling class is going to be gutted and eaten in the fucking streets. These are like the last jobs left in a lot of the US. People do realize there need to be some jobs, right? How is anyone going to be able to afford their fucking frosty?

Grocery stores have had self-checkout for the last 10 years, at least. I'm 30, and when I moved out of the 'burbs into the city, I was 19 and I want to say that it wasn't but a year of living there until all the Krogers had them.

You still need someone to load, clean and repair the machines. Until they automate that. Then maybe worry.

FUCK, YOU'RE RIGHT. REGARDLESS MY DECLARATION STILL STANDS.

They won't when they have armies of combat drones to suppress the rabble.

Several places have tried to do that here in San Francisco.

It never works. Most people hate using them. Even the smaller places who started off with an automatic machine using some app on an iPad, they usually have someone right next to it. It's not even just old people, it's just much much easier and faster to order and say whatever you had on your mind rather than it is to scroll through a bunch of menus and you can't even tell them if you want to change something, remove something, or add something.

It's already in most large grocery stores. I stop in once a day and only buy a day or two worth of food at a time and I always check myself out.

Good, now I wont feel ashamed for ordering 3 10pc nuggets and two baconators for lunch

>tried to do that here in San Francisco
>Most people hate using them.

The "people" in San Francisco are "special".

this guy knows

Someone still prepares the food, hands you the bag and sees that you're a tubby slob.

>replace everything with robots
while I support this
in the end this will just cause nothing but problems in the end
especially with stupid people who don't know how to operate them

hell, even those coca-cola frestyle machine still give alot of people a hard time
and people here still struggles with self checkouts

But at least now I don't have to admit it outloud.

That problem will mostly solve itself with time.

Earthquake when?

It's a generational thing. This new generation is being raised on touchscreen smartphones. It won't be a problem forever. Companies can work on longer scales of time. You bet your ass they've got a roadmap for the next 20 years.

Thanks God
I'm so sick and tired of going to Wendy's and having the cashier not know what burger I just ordered

>say the burger name
>say the number
>still have a hard time knowing what I just said

You should lose some weight. It will make less of your speech slurred and filled with "b" sounds.

>yet.
youtube.com/watch?v=FmXLqImT1wE
youtube.com/watch?v=iQ_fSP3LGw8

It's hard to bargle nawdle zouss with all those marbles in your mouth.

>b-word fat
Why hello, Mr. Oswald. I love your voiceover work on The Goldbergs.

I love shit like this. The Taco Bell app lets me order my food though it before I even get there, just walk in grab it and go.

Less room for error, fewer employees so we keep the cost down, more efficient. Nothing but positives.

Fast food automation is going to de-employ a lot of black people.

Just fuck those high school and college kids trying to earn some spending money and gain some experience doing shit like showing up on time, wearing the appropriate uniform / safety equipment, and doing a job to a standard.

Heaven forbid we have businesses that provide low skill services to people for reasonable prices. Why, every fucking thing should be 9 times as expensive as it is so that every job that exists can provide a "living wage". That little nigger boy that mows my lawn for $10? He should get $50.

Fucking dumb as liberals should all be gassed...

How many people work in the fast food industry right now in america? If all those jobs are phased out, there won't be enough work to employ them all, because fast food is the lowest of the low work.

But what will happen, they'll all go on welfare. And when the robots take more and more jobs, till 50% of the population will need to need to sustain 100% what will happen?

They will get other jobs. There is almost never a shortage of manual labor and other trade jobs.

No dude, in the west the vast majority of low paying jobs are service jobs, not labor. And if the many of the service workers lose their jobs, I garuntee you there isn't enough labor work available to sustain them all

to the factories and mines with them

A CEO is against paying people more. Color me surprised.

About fucking time. No one laments the loss of farm work to the invention of the tractor or the loss of math work to the calculator. And nobody wants to stand around for 8 hours taking orders from fat fucks and children. Really, it's win-win.

>But what about the lost jobs? America loves jobs!
Make-work jobs help nobody. Put em on welfare for all I care — or even better, create a negative income tax. Subtract the poverty line from your income and if it's negative (i.e. you are below the poverty line), you get a percentage of that amount from the government.

There will be new labor projects. Expand the infrastructure, work on new projects.

I'm not going to pass laws outlawing automobiles just because it's going to put the buggywhip maker out of business.

The WaWa has had this system for a long time. Even Sheetz. So on a national level, they should be able to handle it. The orders are gonna still be read off the monitor, the cooks are still cooking, and there will still be someone calling out finished orders.

Do you not understand? This will cause more people to be laid off so others can have their meme wage they have been crying and moaning about.

but no user, everyone has to work to create a surplus of worked hours beyond what is actually needed to sustain a happy and healthy living standard.

There are 3.5 million fast food workers in the united states. And there are 4.5 million transportation workers who will soon be replaced by self driving technology.

Obviously this labor saving tech should not be banned, but you cannot possibly create 8 million new jobs. There must be another solution

Working in fast food does not sustain a happy and healthy living standard for the worker, or most people

I agree. While I figure fast food worker should be ideal for say, a high school student I recognize the majority of minimum wage workers are adults.

My post was sarcastic but I see how that isn't conveyed well online.

Those jobs go, and by not needing to pay those wages the money instead reaches the company selling the tech and the company using the tech. So long as taxes on them are sufficient to improve the social safety net enough to sustain those 8 million, there's no problem.

Oh. We gutted the social safety net so businessmen could live in luxury? Well shit.

>There are 3.5 million fast food workers in the united states

which in turn drives prices up with more disposable income, thus keeping the bottom tier proportionally the same in their purchasing power

>give people more money and expect prices to stay the same
did you even study for ECON final?

technology is available, but maintenance costs make it unrealistic for now

Haha you must be joking user. I was thinking something along the lines of forced sterilization to reduce population size of workers.

Obviously just letting those people live out their lives without working is preferable, but isn't it that there are no free lunches. Maybe we can have them build a bunch of cool gigantic monument or something

Dude I'm not lying. Type "number of fast food workers in the USA" in google

>minimum wage push leads to technological breakthrough, increasing productivity and creating more jobs with higher wages

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm everything went pretty well??????????

More robots means longer logistics chains.

No fuck you, kill'em all. If you can't contribute you should die.

>he said while enjoying a cup of coffee at his cushy white collar job

I am literally betting on the slow eradication of service workers and part of the blue collar class. My Amazon holdings have been doing fucking great of late.

OK, no need to be rude. I'm just having a hard time believing 80 million could stop working and have no effect on quality of life

Inflation is not influenced by how much you pay the workers.

I understand your sentiments, greed has always been a blight on humanity. But these guys aren't running a charity. If they don't operate at optimum efficiency then the next guy will, and will kill them in the market. Then there will be no jobs for anyone at the company, it won't exist.

Besides, the CEO has an obligation to the shareholders. Suppose you bought a few hundred dollars worth of shares in a company, only to find the guy in charge was handing your money out to the homeless instead of putting it to work.

>there are 4.5 million transportation workers who will soon be replaced by self driving technology
This fact hit me like a ton of bricks a couple of weeks ago as I was reading about those self-driving cars. My friend's dad is a taxi driver. Hopefully he'll have retired before he's made redundant.

On the bright side, pic related.

soon

>re-educate
>really believing this

Yeah, a lot of people try to re-educate and never find shit. Hell some people are still searching for jobs since the recession. The economy is shit and the number of people we have in the world cannot produce enough gainful jobs for themselves.

It is just a matter of time until our world takes on a different economic system were not everyone works, just because there are not enough jobs and regulation has made it impossible for people to start up new businesses without a hundred grand in start up money just to pay the government.

This. I'm not sure why we are discussing the politics of this shit instead of how we feel about the quality of the food that we'll be getting from fast food.

Pros
>perfect burgers every time
>no mexican bitches getting your order wrong even though you fucking told them like 10 times what you wanted
>never having to worry about faggots spitting or jizzing in you food
Cons
>If you had a friend working there they can't hook you up anymore
>Even less human interaction as the world become more automated

Let's make the thread food/cook related rather than the political or business side.

>Bernie Sanders and liberals have pushed Wendy's into deploying automated
They were doing that anyways since there has been a push for automation in the industry. I don't think Tyrone and Ladasha should get more money but they were going to be out of a job soon anyways and it is good riddance.

I'm against raising the minimum wage, but I'm okay with kiosks instead of wage slaves taking my fast food order.

Their have been automated kiosks in my state at CJ's since at least 2006. Who are they kidding that this is in response to Sanders?

>There must be another solution

Maybe a..final solution?

They would have done it anyway. This is just an excuse.

Automation is possibly cheaper to maintain and doesn't require a wage.
And there a fucking ton of jobs out there if these lazy niggers would try to fucking look.
Factory pays more than food service and some cannot automate.

>Even less human interaction as the world become more automated
>con

In a way it does push innovation. All these people who wanted to respected for their intellect, but no longer have jobs, will have to put that intellect to use
What a beautiful example of "be careful what you wish for"

The self-checkouts in my city always have one or two staff hovering around to step in when some mouth-breathing Luddite gets it wrong. Doesn't help that those systems are designed to assume nefarious intent.

McDonald's rolled out ordering kiosks here too, but parallel to human cashiers for the same reason. It's nowhere near as overtly hostile to the user, but it's still a little slower than just speaking your order. Maybe once voice recognition is somewhat better.

The Yoshinoyas here are in a class of their own - the menu on the kiosk, and the menu at the human cashier aren't even the same. I literally can't order "just a beef bowl" at the kiosk.

Long story short: automation's coming, but not as fast as the doomsayers would have it, due to sheer pigheaded stupidity from users and designers alike. There'll be time to adjust.

Here in the UK every single supermarket has some self checkouts. Many McDonalds have an express lane where you order on a kiosk. The technology is there to purge millions of low level workers.

youtu.be/7Pq-S557XQU

Seems like a lot of people ITT need to watch this video if they think automation will only effect minimum wage jobs.

I love technology and all but all these people are gonna become bored liberals

fucking love those machines.

2lbs of fillet steak
>ring it up as bananas
1 litre of scotch
>scan a litre bottle of water, put it back in your basket and bag the scotch

Mouth-breathing Luddite here, those things fuck up more often than not when I use them, and I really do follow every instruction to the letter.

>successfully scan item ("beep!")
>successfully put item in bag on weighing shelf
>"UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA"

OMG you guys! Quit bursting ppls bubbles! So rude!

I really don't understand how people can have such stupid opinions on this subject.

If you look back at history there are plenty of examples of jobs that turn obsolete due to technological advancement. And it was never a problem except sometimes in the very short term.

So you agree with me.

I just quoted the entire back-and-fourth for readabilities sake.

Assuming you are then yes, I agree with you.

You quoted me three for three. Spot on.

>MFW they start to break
>MFW they pay for electricity bill the same amount they paid for workers
>MFW they start losing money cause ppl will boycott them.

I don't see any reason for any of those things to happen.

None of that is going to happen.

>wendy's closes
>fast-food "workers" get canned
>hilarious posts on social media from people thinking they are doing god's work from boycotting a shitty restaurant

there was never anything of value to be lost you know

As long as people without jobs are kept clothed, fed, with a roof over their head there's nothing wrong with it.

You can't expect basic labor to support you and future generations forever, nor should you want it to. Freeing people from these jobs potentially gives them an opportunity for advancement. We just need to make it easier to go to trade schools/colleges for more useful education.

Also, if these people aren't spending most of their day, every day, working in a fast food restaurant they can potentially focus on more important things.

Have you ever met anyone that works in fast food over the age of 16? The only thing they'll spend time on now that they're not working is smoking weed and playing video games.

Here too? Goddamn poltards infesting /k/, /tv/, even Veeky Forums and now Veeky Forums? Is there no place free from poltard faggotry?

oh no, well lose all those great jobs. All this efficency, sounds like someone can afford more taxes.

>be careful what you wish for
Yes, assuming that people actually wished to be able to rest on their laurels and get paid fat stacks, which is just an absurd strawman
Except the bottom tier will have more tools to remove themselves from the bottom tier.
Also isn't it the logic of the right that cheaper workers will give cheaper products? Machinery WILL be cheaper than laborers in the long run.
good