What are they drinking?

What are they drinking?

Other urls found in this thread:

messynessychic.com/2014/03/21/art-students-1960s-paris/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The last vestiges of their collective youth.

spirits

Liquid sorrow

Ouzo in celebration of a captured, homosexual poltergeist.

Dihydrogen Monoxide in its liquid form

>feigning sublimation

>not observing the contrapasso

Absinthe

An alcoholic beverage.

Judging by the way the gentlemen on the left holds his cigarette, I'm going to guess some Eastern Yoorapean delicacy like yodka, or uzo.

Hard to tell.

Coffee and grappa.

>absinthe
definitively not

could be raki, ouzo, grappa, slivovitz, obstler, schnaps...

the picture is from LIFE magazine... so find the place where they are

I'd have guessed schnapps or sambuca judging by the shape of the glasses.

The sign in the top right looks like it could have "et MEL HOWARD" ("and MEL HOWARD" in French), "de" or "du" before "FANDOS" (also French), and "LES" near the bottom (French). The style of clothing (man at back wearing cravat?), hair (unkempt), cigarettes etc. has a bit of a French atmosphere as well.

I'm gonna say a French city (probably Paris) and the drinks are sambuca and coffee, since that looks like coffee, and sambuca and coffee go very well together.

Now how do I find out if I was right?

Found it (ctrl+f "pastis"):
messynessychic.com/2014/03/21/art-students-1960s-paris/

It was Paris, but the drink is Pastis, not Sambuca.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastis

maybe do a Google image search to find out where this picture is from?

normally pastis is drink in bigger Glaser on ice and you add water to dilute it... never saw that people drink pastis in little glasses and pure...

I agree, Pastis is not drank neat, it's served with ice and water which gives it a cloudy appearance.

The reporter or source (who was probably foreign), might not have known what they were drinking and just guessed at pastis because it's the local anise spirit, as opposed to sambuca which is Italian.

Or maybe the art students were pleb enough to drink their pastis as though it were sambuca. The guy in the cravat looks like he knows what he's doing though, and from what I've heard, Parisians tend to have enough good taste to get this sort of thing right.

pastis is yellowish .. the liquid in the glass is clear... sambuca is the better option ( or raki and ouzo, in the 60's - 70' s Greece was popular in the student communes )

Like said, it could be grappa as well. That is often drank with coffee.

I don't think it's sambuca or they'd be slamming it, not have half finished glasses.

Wild Blue

shery or schnapps

opium

why is a girl half their age hanging with a bunch of old dudes?

That's what French kids look like at 15.

Pernod

They would be drinking espresso with grappa.