What're your guys' thoughts on SPAM?

What're your guys' thoughts on SPAM?
Do you enjoy it?
Hate it?
Think it's just alright?
Why?
How do you prepare it?
What do you put it in?
I just SPAM musubi tonight and I'm curious on what you guys think about it.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_inflammatory_neuropathy
motherjones.com/politics/2011/06/hormel-spam-pig-brains-disease
nytimes.com/2008/02/05/health/05pork.html
youtube.com/watch?v=PQe9hnkCDTQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Spam is alright in moderation and the right application of it.

Hormel is a shitty company and it's employees have been getting sick from the processing/slaughtering for it.

Not a huge fan. But I grew up in Hawaii where the shit was all over, so maybe it was oversaturated for me and ruined the stuff. Or maybe it's just disgusting pig-food.

Its nasty tasting.

no, i'm vegan

For what it is, spam is too expensive to be poor food anymore and the "people in hawaii eat spam" meme is real. That said, every once in a blue moon it's nice to have a BLT (slice of pan fried spam instead of bacon).

>sick from the processing/slaughtering for it?
Hm, what's that about?
Any sources?
You've piqued my interest.

My sister grew up in Hawaii as well, and she won't eat it because it was everywhere, unlike myself, who grew up on the mainland.
It was just in a can in the store and I was curious.

What exactly about it do you think is nasty?

Alright.

Well I'm not Hawaiian, but u was in the army. It's purdygurd.

Ooooh, I haven't tried the BLT thing.
Will do sometime.
And yeah, it is crazy-expensive, innit?

Ah, yeah it is a non-perishable.
Probably second only to twinkies, haha.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_inflammatory_neuropathy

motherjones.com/politics/2011/06/hormel-spam-pig-brains-disease

Yea. I mean it's still cheap, just saying for what you're getting it's expensive.

You wanna slice it thin (little over 1/4") and get it crispy but be sure to use plenty of oil in the skillet cause it quickly goes from heated-up to burnt.

I bought some to try after seeing all the islanders on here say how great it was, what a mistake. Smells like a cross between dog and cat food, undercooked it feels like a soft foamy mush and even when fried crispy is still like a shitty bacon in flavour with a few hints of animal food and the texture of what I imagine mattress rubber to be like. For the cost I could get a few rashers of really nice bacon, what's the point?

Interesting.
I'll try to find another news source that ties it to Hormel, because motherjones isn't exactly what I'd call credible, but it seems there are other sources!
Thanks for the info, mate.
Will look deeper into it.
Apparently that's also not relevant anymore, given that the main cause (aerosolizing of pig brains) was ceased at all pork processing factories.

I'm down with that burnt, usually.
Tastes like shitty bacon, like this guy said: Either way, it tastes alright but it could be better. I did make a sort of 'marinade' for it. Didn't quite soak in, but soaked in enough, you know?

During WWII everything was rationed. In HI meat was prohibitively expensive and spam was pretty much the only affordable meat there. People grew up with it and so it just turned into one of those things that "it's shit, but it's our shit" that every part of the world has.

There's cdc links etc in the biblo of the wiki and as well as new york times article from when it was happening in 2008.

nytimes.com/2008/02/05/health/05pork.html

Also a USDA investigation into animal abuse in 2015 with the pigs at QPP.

Are you in the US? They do make different flavors. Off the top of my head there's bacon, teriyaki, and I think I remember seeing turkey.

Also so i'm not just posting health bullshit. the eggslut spam breakfast sandwich is pretty great.

youtube.com/watch?v=PQe9hnkCDTQ

Currently on Oahu...

Spam Masubi & a beer on the beach muh shit

Is it really worth a visit?

>is it really worth visiting hawaii

What the fuck?

In any case, it's a waste to just stay on Oahu.

Good with a whole lot of things ham is.
Good with eggs, good with mayonaise and relish on a sandwich, great with [spoiler]peanut butter[/spoiler], pretty good with mac and cheese but wouldn't choose over beef, etc.
I couldn't live off of only spam, but I try to keep some in the pantry.

Spam is expensive, whenever I go camping I'd take a few tins of bacon grill and beans, it's great stuff because it's filling and delicious and you don't need oil to fry it.

Uh you don't need oil to fry spam either

>I couldn't live off of only spam
What does he mean by this?

I like SPAM but my wife doesn't and one can is too much for me at one sitting.

Would it keep in the fridge?

Yeah. Slice off what you want and put it in an airtight container and it will be just fine for up to a week or so, but best within 3-4 days.

You could probably also freeze it, but that sounds kind of dumb.

I don't like double tap and I prefer the wider availability of shimano parts.

Oh sorry I thought you said SRAM