/bg/ - Beer General

Seeing a lot of unrelated threads going on at once, and thought a general would help. What beer are you drinking today, Veeky Forums? Having myself a variety of Belgians. Just finished a Maredsous Bruin Dubbel and a Chimay White Tripel. About to start a Moinette Blonde.

Nice choice op. I've had them al except the blond moinette. Seems good tho.

>can someone recommend some good cream ales?

I'm currently brewing one now. Gonna add fresh peach to it a "peaches and cream ale" sounds retardedly tasty. But I've only seen and had a few cream ales and wanna broaden. Had genesse (amazing ) and cali creaming by mother earth.

Also I give this thread 4 posts before it. Gets blueberried.

>peaches and cream ale
Sounds delicious actually. Might pursue something similar after I finish my maple and brown sugar stout. All grain or extract?

Honestly it's a rice extract. I wanted to start with some ting that wouldn't add to much flavor. I'm going to do it again with actual grain added to the malt for more flavor and a darker color. Nothing to heavy tho. I want a transparent beer for a change

When did you add your maple and brown sugar to the wort? During fermentation or in the boil? Caise I'm going to add peach and vanilla the last 3 days to the fermentation via muselin bag.. a friend tried brewing a honey porter, added an entire thing of honey bear to his boil. The yeast tripped the fuck out flooded his air stop with beer before blowing it off. So when adding sugar to flavor, I'm curious when you did it..

Added brown sugar near the end of the boil. Waiting until bottling to add the maple.

As soon as I get home from work later I'm gonna crack one of these open

Can't go wrong with Founders. Only had their porter and breakfast stout, but god damn do they know how to work those coffee flavors.

>unrelated
It's nearly all one incredibly butthurt false flag shitposter spamming threads. Please report.

Evan Williams and a cigar

Whiskey gets the job done faster

God damn I need to pick up a good cigar. Any recommendations that would most likely be purchase-able at a wild bills tobacco shop? That's the best selection around me

Cigars international dot com

What dis nigga said. Order online while you can, before the FDAs new nanny state regulations go into effect.

As for beer, I am about to crack open a Dirty Bastard.

Running out of the the last of my KBS, which is unfortunate.

Also tried Firestone's Double Jack for the first time. Pretty nice double IPA.

>inb4 IPA meme
I like just about all beers. IPA's are nice. Imperial Stouts are nice. Lambic are nice. Belgians are nice. Not liking all types of beers means you suck.

IPA's are about the only beer I don't like. Hoppy beers just taste like grass to me. To each their own though

IPAs are nothing compared to sours. what a ridiculous meme.
>oops we accidentally brewed our beer wrong and it's downright fucking foul
>wait a sec guys
>what if we sell it like it is and act like it was totally intentional

Like I said, all beers are nice. I can appreciate things from all of them. Sours are great too.

IPA's are far from my personal favorite. Stouts and maltier beers take the cake there. I just know how to appreciate everything else anyways.

I just thought Firestone did an okay job with Double Jack. You can tell a purposeful and OK IPA from a "oh fuck senpai, call it an IPA" beer.

this meme again

>Stouts and maltier beers take the cake there.
This desu

I love stouts. I love Imperial Stouts. I love Russian Imperial Stouts. Bourbon Barrel Stouts. Malty beer is just too delicious.

And say what you want about American brewing, IPA memes and all, we do good stouts and porters. I'm okay with that.

recently I bought loads of belge beer and drink one each day.
it was (not in any order)
Chimay, Duvel, Kwak, 4 different Leffs and Hoegaarden.

all were very very good beer,
tonight I'll have a Leff ruby

Chimay is probably my favorite out of all of those.

But to be honest, I stopped buying it. A 4-pack of Chimay at my local place is like $23.

I can get Ommegang/Allagash/etc Belgian 4-packs for like $10-12.

Still, I like to get imported beers once in a while for the novelty, despite the costs.

that's horribly expensive.
I bought a 750ml bottle for 4€
a small one did cost me 1,60€,

You live in the US?

Was really surprised by this; one of the best IPA's I've had in recent memory. Definitely would recommend any time you're in southern CA

I beg to differ. The "Curmudgeon" is god awful.

Curmudgeon is different but I definitely don't think it's bad. I dont mind barleywine style beers but I can certainly understand why people might not like them. Pic related is similar, I actually rather enjoyed it.

I chugged 4 tallboys of Steel Reserve 211 in the past half hour and it was delicious

My local liquor stores are definitely riding the belgian revival hype train to full effect. 750mL bottles of Chimay, Rochefort, and Orval have gone from ~7 dollars to ~12-15 in the past year or two. Pretty much impossible to get reasonably priced trappist beer around here nowadays. Luckily there's a lot of american copycats that are very similar for reasonable prices though. Even pic related is a relatively good substitute.

A buddy of mine would say that shit takes the hair off your nuts and puts it right on yo chest.

Didn't really start liking IPAs till I tried this one. Opened up a whole new world for me.

I tried this the other day and thought it was very good. It isn't a stout like the other Founders coffee beers though so in my opinion the coffee was way stronger here than in FBS or KBS. The beer's taste is not strong enough to compete with the big coffee flavor. It's good.

french fag

it cost 1.56 € around here.

Pic related and DUDE WEED are a great way to prepare for a hot/NEET summer

Drinking one of these tonight

enjoying an old favorite

Is Blue Moon a pleb beer?

Shiner Bock

Probably, but I'll still order one if I'm at a restaurant with a limited selection and want a beer.

I'm sipping on a Founders porter after half-heatedly studying for a final I have tomorrow. First time trying it - pretty good. Earlier in the week I tried pic related, which I honestly decided on mostly because the art was similar to a book I'd just finished. I really liked it a lot. I rarely drink beer because of the calories, but it's a nice treat and a comfy buzz.

its a mom beer

its entry level but its a good beer

This. It's a once craft beer that is now mass-produced and distributed, but is still decent quality beer for the price. It's the same style as shock top but better.

Blue Moon was never a craft beer. It was created by Coors to combat craft beer from the beginning

The only people I see drinking it here (Ireland) are hipsters and girls who like it because barstaff usually add a slice of lemon to it.

>craft beer is defined by production scale and distribution
worst meme in the world

It's the most entry level wheat beer around. Try paulaner hefeweizen if you want a better and closely priced wheat. More alcohol too I think

Anyone outside of Russia/ex-USSR tried Zhigulevskoye beer?

Its literally mom tier in America. Definitely better than like Bud Light or something though

Gross. Russia.

My local brewery recently released a "single hop series" - essentially a box of four different beers brewed with only one variety of hop. This is the Chinook Pale Ale. 6/10

i got one of these a couple of weeks ago, but i guess that they switched gears and are putting out the beer run ipa now. this is by far the best citrus ipa ive ever had

I'm pretty comfy having a Brooklyn East IPA and vinegar chips to go with, despite it being €2.50 a bottle here (and entry-tier). Living close to Belgium I can have a lot of good thick beers at a decent price but very few hoppy lighter ones.

Duvel and Kwak are bretty gud, but I can't have more than two Leffes, it's really too "dense" (if you see what i mean?), and their recent attempts at marketing all sorts of new beer are not to my taste (I mean honey beer, really?)

this was the best beer ever brewed when it had the red label. now it's total shit. rip
blue moon is below pleb

NC got da DANK

Is that one of them growler can things? I've been seeing them spring up around my area

Heist sucks go to mob or sugar creek wooden robot is good too.

>live in chicagoland
>Alpha King is everywhere
>Can't find Zombie Dust

God damnit

Got a 12 pack of this. It's good. Not too overwhelming so I had 4 of them and felt decent. Pretty hoppy for a "pale ale" though.

Love Chimay white, easily one of my favourite beers.
Really liking pic related right now. Bit hard to get in Germany and expensive as fuck tho

Paulaner Salvator...so strong

Entry level, but respectable entry level. A decent go-to when all your alternatives are bud or shock top or some shit, but you can definitely do better for a similar price point if you shop local.

>Importing IPAs because the Krauts won't make them

You have my sympathy, bro.

What do you mean? I have had plenty of European and German IPAs. My favourites would have to be Mikkeller Green Gold and Progusta.
I also enjoy the tropical fruitiness of pic related a great deal, of which they also make a Weizen variant. Top stuff.

Had this tonight, was so good - was surprised to see it in Britbongland

Had this a few days ago. Was OK, but nothing special - their double IPA was much nicer.

Is this Sierra Nevada beer camp thing worth going to?

you were pretty lucky to find that. Its very pretty tough to find in the US outside Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota
Also, it is fucking amazing

I used to post in the /BeerGenerals/ a lot last year before I started redoing my bar. I've been keeping a beer review blog for the past few weeks as a university project.

Anyone interested in giving me some feedback?

this stuff is god tier, too bad they only sell it in a "winter sampler" case

Had this at a hotel restaurant and it was really good so I bought a six to take home with me. If you're ever in the Canadian prairies you can probably find it somewhere.

Have it with an orange slice you fucking pussy

IPAs are fucking disgusting

stop drinking shitty west coast style IPA

Great meme opinion.

Meme opinion?
West coast IPA is ok, but its kind of outdated now that so many tastier hop strains are around. Hard to beat the midwest style stuff in the vein of Zombie Dust/PseudoSue. Tropically hops are so much better than west coast style hop

Oops.

Meant to quote East Coast/New England/New York IPAs are fucking amazing.

oh, that makes a lot more sense

you clearly haven't been to heist in a while. they're one of the best breweries in the world now. that isn't a exaggeration either. and yeah wooden robot is fucking great

/bg/ you need to drink dark beer more.

Drinking this right now. Pretty good, I love coolship/spontaneous fermentation beers, and between the funky sourness, the oak, and the pears, this beer is nicely balanced, not too sour or one note. This is super local, and I like that. Too expensive though.

Good.

I'm drunk. Not quoting/posting very well right now.

Not in the summer

great beers, i find the ruby one foul tho

where is mob brewery? not seeing anything online

idk about the festivals, but the beers they made last year for beercamp were on point

I just bought one of the 12 packs the other day. Tried 3 of them so far, the Patriot one was fucking good

i didnt even know there was a 12 pack available yet. Im gonna have to check that out this weekend

I saw it at 3 or so different stores in the last week. Seemed to have a lot of it. Its fucking expensive though, I almost didn't get it

what region are you in? hopefully ill be able to find it

I think it must be an SAB Miller product because I've seen it pushed in Australia after the Foster's takeover. Never tried it though and never seen anybody with one either.

Milwaukee

Blue Moon was created by Coors, which is now affiliated with Miller. Not bad for a macro beer I guess

Maybe in the US if it sells for domestic prices, I think it gets dressed up as a premium here, IDK. There's always better looking options, even if that's a Cooper's Sparkling stubby from the fridge.

In the US it occupies the high end shit beer tier. More expensive than the cheap beer, but less than nice beer. Favorite beer of middle aged mothers across the country, also often teenage girls' favorite beer.
I'd take one over a Coors or Bud Light, but I am almost never faced with such an awful choice

>Chimay

top tier, last belgian haul was chimay bleue, delirium tremens, duvel, orval, and rochefort 10, all fantastic

i got u senpai

Just drank a bottle of maudite. There are lot of better options in Quebec, but it's a bit cheaper than the rest of the Belgian-inspired stuff you'll find. If I want an affordable buzz with a good enough taste I'll always go for a unibroue.

>move to east coast
>finally i can try this yuengling stuff i've been hearing so much about
>its shit

goddam i'm mad. it literally tastes like regular budweiser. is yuengling the In-N-Out of the north east?

It doesn't taste like regular budweiser. Yuengling is as cheap as the big AAL's but much better so it gets a good reputation. Lots of regular people drink it in Pennsylvania just like they drink Coors/Miller/AB. I think Yuengling is the best in its price range but it's not what I'd typically drink.

i've been drinking old rasputin a lot lately and want to branch out. imperial ipa or imperial stouts are my favorite right now but i don't know many good ones.

>drinking the blonde last

Congratulations, you wont be able to fully taste that blonde.