Torta milenesa

I have found my new sandwich of choice Veeky Forums

>went to a "hole in the wall"
Mexican restaurant today with my buddy
>literally family owned place where only the daughter speaks english
>ask her what's good
>torta with steak milenesa
>muh God

Add a little bit of salsa verde and this is a game changer. The meat was cooked perfectly and the sandwich is loaded with fresh veggies

Who /tortas/ here??

Chicken Milenesa is also worth trying. This is my go to Mexican sandwich.

Jesus, is this going to be the new banh mi? Uncultured whitebreads owning torta shops selling breaded boars head steak on a Kaiser roll, for $9, and the milk-shitters lap it up and brag on Facebook how much tapatio they managed to slather on it?

10/10

White ''''''people''''' ruin everything they touch with their moist, quivering hands

>using the Australian quotes
Why do people do this?

friends are friends
pals are pals
buddies sleep together

t. white person that likes to exclude himself from white people

the latest in hipster technology

I'm not white

>create post telling a story
>include friend
>get called faggot
>Veeky Forums 2016

Fuck you

So you've never had a torta or something?

I've never had what you think of as a torta

I ate my first torta (which bore no resemblance to your Kaiser roll crap) in 1996, in Puebla. That's a city (and a state) in Mexico. Now scream about diarrhea or some shit. It's all you know how to do when faced with actual culture.

It's Milanesa you uncultured faggot

But they are really good. Add some good red gravy on top and they are even better, but that's more Cuban not Mexican

It's ok user, they'll be bred out of existence in another generation, and nothing of value was lost.

Pretty sure the current meme for scary foreigners is poo in loo

no that's only applicable to indians

There's no stopping this man

Can white people actually tell the difference though? You guys arrest Italian economists for writing Arabic numbers, how are you able to distinguish a cemita from an uttapam? Just stick to your recombinant Campbell's can-based cuisine

i am not the guy you were replying to and have no dog in the torta fight, just a friendly /int/ poster here to defend our memes

w e w

Oooh my name is user and i had some food in mexico therefore it was the best version of that food and i liked it before you did so i'm better.
> hip
Get rekt fagoot.

OP here. I don't care if what I had was authentic or just another meme. All I know was it was delicious and I can't wait to try it again.

I always try to guess the BMI of a person who posts a Chris Evans meme. My guess is 38.7

>sandwich is loaded with fresh veggies
sounds like a shitty sandwich
A goo sandwich wouldn't need filler like that

OP, you're the Sunset Park dude aren't you

The taco truck I go to has a torta milanesa and a torta cubana, I wanna try them both. I asked the chick who works there what her favorite thing was, she said the Torta (not sure which one she was referring to, though).

I'm glad you enjoy the milanesa, now I will definitely try it at some point.

"I'm not like those HIPSTER TRANSPLANT white people! I'm a real New Yorker!"

what a faggot

Most people who are into Mexican food know what Puebla is, especially in NYC

>mfw the Mexican place near me makes bangin tortas and is actually run by Mexicans
>lengua tortas all day erryday

OP is not me. I am Sunset Park user. His story is very similar to the story I posted a couple weeks ago about going out for tortas. But coincidentally I did go to Puebla de los Angeles with that same buddy tonight for tortas. We ordered a Cubana (built around a chicken milanesa) and an Espagnola (built around a pork cutlet and sliced fried hot dogs). Then we ate half of each sandwich. I've already come to the opinion that salchicas make the torta. I am well aware of the trashiness of this opinion, but will not back away from it just because it's trashy. So while I enjoyed the Cubana the Espagnola was the clear winner for me.

Funny to come home from a night drinking at Freddy's and see this thread, though.

Mexicans are white though

They both sound good, I'll take your word on it. I'm not sure if the place I go to does the salchicha, though. But I can always just take the trip to Sunset Park.

and is Freddy's a bar or is that your friend's name?

Also, you should convince some of your Mexican neighbors to open up business out on Long Island, we have a SERIOUS drought of authentic Mexican food. The nearest place there's any concentration of real Mexican food is Corona, Queens.
The Mexicans in NYC are like straight up indigenous, most of them at least

I'm Mexican and I love torta de milanesa too, especially with a lot of avocado.

Nothing better than 'cado on my Torta pham

>"hole in the wall" Mexican restaurant

oh shit we better patch it

>and is Freddy's a bar or is that your friend's name?
Freddy's is a weird cultural institution of a bar. Used to be where the Barclay's center is now. Former cop bar that got taken over by writers and musicians. Relocated to South Slope years ago and still going strong. Some very good music gets played there, and drinks are cheap during happy hour before the music starts. Place has been a part of my life for over 20 years.

>happy hour

It might be because I'm young, but I usually don't even roll into the bars until 11 PM-midnight, so sadly I've never benefited from any happy hour.

>Math scares Americans

Here's how I did it tonight. Met friends at 6:30 and got two rounds in before happy hour prices ended at 7. Walked the four blocks to the torta place because the food there is much better than the bar food kitchen at Freddy's (and cheaper). Walked back to catch the 8PM set some friends of mine played - pretty fucking good. Then hung out catching up with friends, wishing one a happy 50th. Then caught a couple song by the headlining act just after 11. Wife and I hopped on our bikes and casually rode the 20-some blocks home.

Sipping a Tecate with lime at home as a nightcap, and tomorrow will hardly even be damaged by the evening's activities. Ate a wicked sandwich (or halves of two wicked sandwiches), saw some good music and had a few drinks. Not too bad for a Saturday when you're home before 1AM and barely ventured 20 blocks from your place.

>Tecate

I love Tecate, it tastes better than Corona and isn't overpriced for no reason other than trendiness.

I can't believe you're in your late 40s though, I'm 21 and my dad is about your age and I can never picture him going on Veeky Forums lol.

But isn't that Brooklyn life great, if you were out in the middle of nowhere your night might consist of drinking Budweiser, hanging out in your house, and eating Taco Bell or Domino's pizza.

For some reason I don't even end up going out on Weekend nights until very late, I think it's because one time last year I nearly got laid randomly talking to a chick after 3AM, so I like being out from midnight to at least 3. But I'm sure I'll slow down eventually, maybe not though.

When I was in my 20's I lived in the EV and never even went out on weekends. But I'd easily be out on weekdays until 4am.

As for hanging on Veeky Forums in my late 40's what can I say? I always thought atrocity tourism was part of what the internet was created for. My son is older than you, and I bought him a pass for Something Awful when their forums went pay. He definitely was not 18 at the time, I can tell you that. He laughed at be for being a /b/-tard from 2005 until about 2011. But when /b/ finally went to shit for the last time I could stand (it was never good) I was so used to checking into Veeky Forums every day I needed a new home board. And my hobbies are food, cooking and wine, so Veeky Forums seemed a reasonable fit. It's proven to be so.

But I'll tell you flat out if my professional life were to undergo a slowdown around the time Robert Sietsema retires you wouldn't see me here, because I'd be busting my ass to get on the Eater NY staff. Until that unlikely scenario I'll keep posting here.

That's odd to me, I'll hang out late any night I don't have obligations the next day, but I find the weekends to be way more lively, and the only time it's worth it for me to commute out from Long Island.

I don't think there's anything wrong with you being your age and going on Veeky Forums, I just think it's interesting. Veeky Forums is a good board but there are still a bunch of retards here.

And out of curiosity, are you and your wife both white Americans?

>but there are still a bunch of retards here
The same could be said for anything on the Internet.

If you lived in the EV back in the day you didn't go out on the weekends because that's when everybody who didn't live in your neighborhood came there to act like jerks. So you hunkered down, then partied with your friends on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights. The weekend crowd was a foreign thing, and kinda ugly, taking over your neighborhood every five days like clockwork.
>Veeky Forums is a good board but there are still a bunch of retards here.
How is that odd? Retards are everywhere.
>are you and your wife both white Americans?
Yes, though we don't eat like we are!

I have hung out in the EV and LES on Tuesday nights (back when I was working I had Wednesday off), but I didn't find it to be as fun. And I've met plenty of locals on the weekend, including a chick from the Jacob Riis houses.

I never said it was odd, it's expected if anything.

And that's good, it's nice to try different things.

>the Jacob Riis houses.
Home of Sabu, a great man who was a little too careless, caught by the feds and forced to bring down some other greats with him. Those were some days, sounding the alert that the internet was no longer the wild west. Really the beginning of the end.

As for the EV back in the day let me just say when you lived in a neighborhood that was a weekend destination you tended to prefer it on the days when it wasn't.

Well yeah if I lived there at the time, or maybe even now, I might have felt different.

But there are so many different bars in the EV/Alphabet City nowadays, with varying vibes.

I remember reading about Sabu, I didn't realize he became an informant for the FBI though. What a sellout.

It's funny to me though, I would have never expected an expert hacker to live in NYCHA housing. Speaking of those projects though, they seemed pretty tame as far as projects go, I was there at like 4 AM and wasn't sketched out.

milanesa is not a mexican sandwich is italian

Stop being triggered by this in every thread goddamn

>babbys first torta
There are plenty of tortas better than that. carne asada tortas from tortas mobile wash and countless ahogadas in the us and mexico to starrt

>Not going to mexican hole-in-the-walls
>Not understand they have the best food for cheap

torta milanesa is GOAT

and actually I can _totally_ see this as a hipster food thing made with local/sustainable-type ingredients

Fuck off

tfw remember the east village when it was still too scary for most people to go there on weekends (moved to 2nd between A and B in 1990, still a dope block)

Save The Robots, Gas Station, Gargoyle Mechanique

>hole in the wall
I bet this hipster thinks this isn't incredibly racist

Let me guess, if it's dirty it's more authentic? Because that's the way brown folk naturally are?

50 year old detected
Post the dancing baby from ally McBeal next

>Because that's the way brown folk naturally are?

Dirty AND smelly. And they often have a cloud of flies around them. Does this trigger you?

Quite the contrary, the point was to call out hypocrisy. As long as you admit you're racist, we have no problems. Thank you.

>you're racist
>you're racist
>you're racist

So you are triggered. Good to know, thank you.

Whatever makes you feel special. I guess that's why you're here and not on /b/. Better quality (You)s. You're welcome.

You don't feel special? Maybe that's part of the problem? Even the most special snowflakes have to melt sometimes.

Have you tried going outside? I mean away from your safe spaces?

OOGA CHAKA OOGA CHAKA

(You) feeling lonely today?
It pissed me off when normies learned about that

I trying to help you.

Top tier mexican torta is the ahogada. Extremely regional food. Only ever found good representation of it in santa ana ca. In food trucks that have been operating more than 15 years(way before hipsters took over food trucks with their shit fusion food).

The torta itself is confit of pork(carnitas) on a hard roll. The whole sandwich is then dipped in a tomato sauce, then in a sauce made of chile de arbol. If you order it make sure to specifically tell them how spicy you want it. Sin chile (no hot sauce), media (half as spicy as a fully dipped sandwich) and bien ahogada (fully dipped in the hot sauce. The torta can be dressed with refried beans, but will always be served with pickled onions. The bread itself will be hard as fuck, so spoon the sauce on top of it so that it will soften.

>Only ever found good representation of it in santa ana ca.

The best ahogada (outside of Mexico) I've ever had was in El Centro, CA. I forgot the name of the place, but it was a house that was converted into a tiny restaurant that only served lunch.

All four of my grandparents are from Guadalajara and I ate tons of these growing up.

>But when /b/ finally went to shit for the last time I could stand (it was never good)

accurate

Based Mexibro

>What a sellout.
He was part of a brilliant and very high profile hack. Even Steven Colbert did a bit on it. Then he was on Twitter brazenly taking requests for his next targets, which included fucking with Congress' website!. When thee FBI came to his door they basically told him he was going away for a really long time if he didn't help out. Like it wasn't obvious that was coming...

As for general levels of sketch, even the projects are nowhere nearly as sketch today as previous decades in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Of course that goes hand in hand with a massive rise in property values - the apartment I used to rent in the EV for under $1k a month now rents for $3500. I had to buy a place in South Bklyn to get my monthly expenses back to that level.

I don't know whether I'd consider it hipster food, but it's cheap and delicious like a banh mi, and increasingly available in places where it didn't used to be, so a new group of white kids are going to get into them. I don't think that makes them hipster though. Hipster seems a bit more precious to me, like making a BEC on a brioche bun with arugula, artisan bacon and cheese. It's pretty hard to make a precious torta - the sandwich is fundamentally messy and lowbrow.Hipsters will eat it, but I can't see how they'd tart it up.

Downtown Beirut, Village Idiot and when Coyote Ugly was still good. I remember it, though my time was really more mid 90's to mid 2000's.

Tortas already cost as much as a big burrito around here. I miss when I could get them for $5.

Where I live they're $6.50 - $10 depending on where you go and how much stuff you want piled on them. The bigger ones are really a meal for two though. The torta I had last night for $7 weighed over 2lbs, and eating a whole one pretty much wrecks me - they're easily as much food as a big burrito.

Were you born this pretentious, or did it take practice?

>lying about food is "fun"
>accurate terminology is pretentious
you are the problem

"Hole in the wall" has nothing do with dace and doesn't imply the place is dirty, you retard

I remember eating a different version in Guadalajara, with mayo and mustard sauce as well as the tomato sauce. r5y

>has nothing do with dace

this guy gets it

>messy sandwich covered in sauce so the buns can become soggy and a bunch of stuff you have to pick up with a fork
this is so retarded, you might as well just omit the bun and have the meat with rice or something with the sauce over it.

torta cubana is one of my favorite foods in the world. God bless mexicans.

Its not the first time there has been a sandiwich dipped/covered in a sauce. Get over yourself uncultured pleb

agreed. I like a sloppy torta but that's just too much.

I'm not uncultured, I eat as much kinds of food as I can get my hands on, that is just a retarded idea for a sandwich and defeats the entire point of one. a beef dip is not even close to the same thing, because you choose how much sauce you get and it doesn't have the chance to become soggy, you just dip and eat the part you dipped, putting a healthy amount of sauce IN THE ACTUAL SANDWICH is also different and completely fine.

>chance to become soggy
Except it doesn't become soggy. The bread is a different kind of bread from the typical bollio bread.

every bread becomes soggy, it doesn't matter if it's the crispiest of the crispy french bread, it will become soggy if covered in liquid sauce. also I prefer not to get my hands absolutely covered in sauce when I eat something, it just seems like a mess, put the sauce in a cup on the side.

Meant to say "race"

last time I had chicken milanesa I got food poisoning

Ok fucks, Uruguay here. Milanesa is god tier here. It's what you ask your grandma to make for your birthday. Is what you get want to put and end to a shitty day. Milanesa is love, milanesa is life.

The milanesa is the meat with breading. Not the sandwich. Kinda like a schnitzel. Its most often made with a tough meat like buttock, that is sliced and tenderized. Then you do several passes through beaten egg and spiced breading.

Milanesa al pan, or Milanesa in bread, is what OP has in his pic.

Its a sandwich and pretty much the only correct way to eat it is when its made with shitty milanesa, sliced tomato, withered lettuce that you pull out cause its fucking gross, and some mayo.

Suarez pls go

The bread is especially made for these types of sandwiches. You wouldnt be able to eat it dry. It will not disintegrate like most breads as long as you eat it within 15 minutes.

Its harder than crispy french bread. Inedible to eat on its own.

better than Milanesa desu.

Is that like a Mexican fast food chain?

The milanesa is not mexican or italian, is argentinian.

The style of the sandwich can be uniquely Mexican, though.

Alphabet City is like completely gentrified now except for Avenue D maybe. But I'm not even afraid to walk down Avenue D late at night.

Do you still live there?

>lengua tortas
Muh holmes.

well yeah I know he ratted people out to avoid a lengthy prison sentence, however it goes against the spirit of what he was doing to rat to the FBI

What's the appeal of lengua? It seems kinda flavorless and has an awkward texture to me

Getting caught goes against the spirit of what he was doing. The thing that made him the last of the greats was how naive he was. He took down the mighty and shouted it from the rooftops without realizing the days of being able to do something even remotely like that for shits and giggles were long gone.

And he was no gangster or organized criminal - when the knock on his door came he saw himself as nothing more than someone making a fool of idiots. But the feds did not see it that way. And that was a major sign that those of us in it for the lulz? Our day was long done. It's now all NSA and organized crime. The days of grey hats fucking around just for fun ended in 2008. Sabu was our last hero, But the path he ended up on was pretty much a foregone conclusion. I bear him no ill will. Anyone who knew anything knew to be out of that game by then. He didn't, nor did those who fell with him.

Tender.