Kosher salt

>kosher salt

What other culinary memes did you fall for?

Other urls found in this thread:

biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus 7:26-27
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashrut#Costs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

craft beer

Carbon steel, and sheet trays, and mise en place, and sharpening/honing knives, and seasoning/tasting as you cook...

Basically everything they do in a professional kitchen is a meme and makes absolutely no sense and has never been proven to be of any worth.

>Carbon steel
I bought a carbon steel wok about 3 or 4 years ago because i was interested in making chineese food needless to say i don't have it anymore.

Care to elaborate?

I'm guessing you barely used it, didn't otherwise take care of it, and didn't have a proper heat source for wok cookery in the first place.

Seriously though, what'd you do? Throw it in the trash when it started rusting?

>be Wok-user
>purchase carbon steel wok
>start to cook with it
>get bored and immediately throw it in the garbage
>mfw

Mmm! Tastes like goiter.

Food trucks

Overpriced food that's not really any better than a standard brick and mortar location.

Trying to do what restaurants do in your home is stupid. You're going to eat whatever is you made so seasoning and tasting is irrelevant, you can get away with the basics. The equipment is far from ideal to use at home. Large, hard to handle, ugly, and usually cheaply made as most equipment is deemed replaceable.

Professional level knives and maintenance is overkill for home use. The majority of people will not have the skills to use them effectively and are basically pissing their money away for something only top tier pros can use well. I've seen so many beginners with high carbon steel knives, they tend to cut themselves more often than not and have super irregular cuts.

Kosher salt is good for texture and control when hand seasoning, and the crystals stick better to the surface of dishes you working with (like veggies and meats). Table salt is better in baking and making seasoned liquids like sauces or soups where the finer structure aids in dissolving.

>keeping knives sharp is a meme
Fuck off, buttbaby cancer.

Not very good at picking up on sarcasm, are we?

How is salt a meme?

You people are fucking retarded.

>You're going to eat whatever is you made so seasoning and tasting is irrelevant
Are you seriously arguing that you shouldn't try to make food you intend to eat taste as good as possible? I bet you also don't wash your clothes because 'you'll wear them anyway'. Were you dropped on your head as a child?

>salt
>a meme

McFucking kill yourself.

>Taking shit about Morton
I will find you and I will kill you

So-called "kosher salt" is just coarsely ground, as opposed to regular, finely granulated salt. There's actually nothing kosher about it. It's just a way to stamp that kosher symbol on the packaging and charge more money.

Kosher salt is not called “Kosher” because the salt itself is specifically certified as kosher. Rather, Kosher salt got its name because this larger grained version of salt was used in the process of koshering meat, specifically to remove surface blood from meat (hence “Koshering salt” was shortened in some regions, like most of the United States, to “Kosher salt”). Smaller grained salts, like table salt, would have a tendency to absorb more into the meat itself, which isn’t what they’re going for here. By using larger grained salt, it absorbs the blood and then can be more thoroughly washed off after, removing the surface blood without making the meat overly salty.

Huh, good to know.

Nonstick pans

>Kosher salt got its name because this larger grained version of salt was used in the process of koshering meat, specifically to remove surface blood from meat (hence “Koshering salt” was shortened in some regions, like most of the United States, to “Kosher salt”)

What do the red liquids in meats have to do with kosher-ness?

A: Nothing

Glad brand plastic products in the US are kosher-certified. What does that tell you?

>Every food I personally dislike is now a meme

This.

>Cooking in steel

The worst may may ever. It's get way too hot and everything burns and sticks. Fucking cast iron all the way, nigs.

>Picking up on sarcasm
>Via an electronic message board that shows no emotion or tone of voice

>Double Hopped
>TRIPLE Hopped
>QUADRUPLE HOPPED
>HOPS HOPPED UP YOUR HOPHOLE AND HOPPING YOU TO FUCKING DEATH AND YOU'LL LIKE IT

I want this meme to die. Focus on making a decent lager first.

Plenty of brewers can make a decent lager. It's not exactly difficult, but it's also not very interesting.

>and seasoning/tasting as you cook...
what the fuck is your damage? this is important for getting consistencies and flavors right, and is also just enjoyable. part of the fun of cooking is getting to nibble on things while you work.
overpriced? where the fuck do you live? most places they are cheaper, and the mobility means that some tasty things can show up in convenient locations. i do concede that food trucks that are "a thing" at events, etc, are typically overpriced. but the appeal there is to bring them in if a venue doesn't have dedicated or sufficient kitchen space, staff, variety, etc.
fugg off back to /pol/
100% agree. a good IPA with some citrus to it is pleasant enough, but the IPA meme is just obscene. it's mostly the emphasis on it, and the snooty pricks asserting that hopping something into oblivion lends a great flavor.

Dude, just stop.

Kashrut law dictates the surface blood to be not kosher. That's why.

Also Kosher salt has no iodine which gives it a slightly different taste. The fact anti-caking agents aren't typically used or used less for Kosher salt also gives it a different taste.

Sea salt also has a different taste as well due to the different salts present; potassium, magnesium and calcium. I remember sea salt having something along the lines of a 400% greater concentration of calcium and significantly higher mag as well.

biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus 7:26-27

It's actually pretty important in Jewish butchery.

>How is kosher salt kosher?
Besides being used by butchers to make kosher meat products, it's approved by a rabbi in its processes. Morton is certified by Orthodox Union, for instance.

>Plastic bags are kosher. Case closed.
That's because you're not allowed to have interaction between kosher and non-kosher items lest they taint each-other. This was a big issue because packages that were produced with say tallow based lubricants, or animal derived oils can inherently make things non-kosher. In modern times, it's less prevalent than in the early 20th century when grease was commonly used in machinery derived from animals, but it's still a hold over.

>Yes, you can put your sandwich in a glad plastic bag without it becoming non kosher.

>What do the red liquids in meats have to do with kosher-ness?
But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat. (Gen. 9.4)
It shall be a perpetual statute for your generations throughout all your dwellings, that ye eat neither fat nor blood. (Lev. 3-17)
But I do agree that companies take full advantage of their consumers as best they can.

>What do the red liquids in meats have to do with kosher-ness?
'But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.' (Gen. 9.4)
'It shall be a perpetual statute for your generations throughout all your dwellings, that ye eat neither fat nor blood.' (Lev. 3-17)

But I do agree that companies take full advantage of their consumers as best they can.

The OP and yourself are implying. Half these idiots don't even know what seasoning is.