no
no
no

yes

yes

Ask me again later

are you a meme?

Yeah it is.

I'm sure it's a good steak but it's just so unnecessary. it's like having 15 billion dollars in the bank but you decide to kill a guy for an extra million. it's already fucking awesome, I don't want to spend 2 hours on it.

It's actually NOT a meme the best cooks on master chef use it all the time.
It is however very complicated to do properly and too advanced for the average cu/ck/

I treat it like a slow cooker
Pulled pork cooked for 72 hours is fucking amazing but I've tried a burger in there & was disappointed
It's nice as a set it & forget it kind of application

mince meat in a plastic bag cooked in water, the fuck did you expect?

You mean boil in the bag?

I had never even heard of this shit until fairly recently. Now I'm reading that some of the """finest restaurants""" with the best chefs use this method to cook steaks and other things.

Is this why sometimes when I eat a steak at a place like Ruth's Chris I keep thinking of the scene in The Fly when Gina Davis bites into the steak and says, "that tastes funny, it tastes...artificial"?

Outlook no so good

Holy fuck, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

While enjoyed my steak at Ruth's Chris, I remember thinking that it seemed...sterile somehow.

I couldn't help but think that I've enjoyed skirt steak fajitas off a crusty charcoal grill way more than that.

Either way, I racked up a ~$200 bill on my own between the old fashioneds and the Macallen. Not on my dollar, of course.

My mother bought one and we cooked some steaks using it, they were the best steaks I've ever had. Home cooked and restaurant served.
I'd assume close to all the internal juices were preserved making is to tender and juicy. It came with a torch to sear after they were cooked, that took a few minutes and was kinda of annoying but I think that method helped preserve the juices (aside from pan searing afterwards, haven't tried that yet)

Also, does anyone have any experience with other meats besides beef? How'd it turn out and? Any tips?

I use it to make pork for my ramen a la momofuku recipe

but that's it
also faggot sear your meat in a pan after it's done in the sous vide you fucking cock sucking butt miner

You mean bain marie?

I've done chuck roast, rump roast, brisket, ribs, hamburger, pork shoulder, pork chops, pork loin, chicken, salmon, sword fish

>spend 2 hours
It's idle time though

It's a pretty good option for terrible cooks, if you think about it. Anyone worth their salt can make a steak in a cast iron without the need of it. Pintrest chef Susan will need help.

No. The best ribs I've ever had were cooked in a sous vide bath and then finished briefly over a grill.

Ruth's Chris is basically an expensive Applebees for self-important middle managers and prole rubes like you guys. You should feel terrible for going there and expecting good steaks.

Takes all the fun and learning out of cooking. I'll pass.

There's actually a lot more truth to this than you would think.

>sous vide
Is a way to store perfectly cooked meat for a long time (compared to freshly making everything) (still a shorter time than refrigerating/freezing it).

It enables them to build a buffer of perfectly cooked meat to handle dinner rush, etc.

It also ensures consistency.

Learn to cook meat properly so you don't have to resort to boiling shit in bags. Enjoy your petroleum byproducts being marinated into your meat, ill take the carcinogens from burnt meat over a grill tyvm.

this is so stupid..

it's vital in the kitchen i work in. you can do so much with it; great for confit and cooking things with fat, great for many things involving eggs, fruit consommes, tougher cuts of meat that need to be cooked for long periods of time to render fat, etc.

It has all kinds of awesome applications, you're just a dumbfuck.

>muh purity of cooking

pls leave

>Is sous vide a meme?
Most things are memes by definition.
Do you have learning difficulties?

Nobody cares what happens at the place you wash dishes at.

I don't want to wait hours for a steak for fuck sake, man

i'm the sous chef, gayboi.

the immersion circulator ensures consistency and is a godsend for prepping. plus you can do cool shit with it like cook egg yolks to a jam like consistency or poach them inside their shell.

at the last place i was at it was based as fuck to be able to pre-poach 100 eggs for brunch service then just crack them into a pot of boiling water to heat them up.

but hey, i guess you know better than the best chefs in the business since literally everybody is using it because it's so incredibly useful.

>boil in the bag dinner
>give it a French name to pretend it's a sophisticated way of cooking
>when in reality it is just boil in the bag dinner

>sous vide
>boil
retard.

>>give it a French name to pretend it's a sophisticated way of cooking
b-but... French invented it! ( like most of the culinary terms...)

Kind of this.

Ruths Chris has locations shore to shore, and as a chain consistency is one of the most important aspects. This guy kinda sounded assholey while saying it, but go to a non chain upscale place if you want really good food. It'll likely be more locally grown product, as opposed to one Midwestern supplier shipping the same product frozen to each coast.

>i'm the sous chef
So you will obviously defend it.

It's a cooking tool, there's really nothing wrong with using something new.

was this actually in metal gear?

>it's vital in the kitchen i work in
Good for you. I don't need it or care for it. Maybe for someone in a restaurant it's useful, but no reasonable homechef really needs it, hence why it's a meme to many.

Yes, MGS2. Not the pepe definition though...
A meme is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture".

oh.. yeah, it's pretty useless for home applications unless cooking was a bigtime hobby.

what does this even mean?

no, they're just shitty steaks. sous vide doesn't magically make your food taste of plastic.

he was clearly remarking on the 'sous' part of 'sous chef', probably facetiously

>Is sous vide a meme?

It is.

You are cooking food in plastic bags.

You are literally on the same tier as Taco bell. Their meat comes as a slurry in plastic bags that they place into hot water that hardens so they can chop it up into "ground beef".

>>i'm the sous chef, gayboi.

>"chef" thinking hes hot shit for cooking food, the same job teenagers do for min wage

>some fag on the internet posting on a forum that's specifically about cooking making fun of somebody who cooks

that is one of the dumber things i've seen posted here.. besides, your argument about t-bell being """""literally"""" on the same level as sous vide cooking makes no sense.

heating up something that's been cooked and then frozen isn't even close to being the same thing as cooking something in water.

do you realize how inefficient using hot air to cook something is compared to using hot water?

using the same cooking process as taco bell does not mean you are on the same tier as taco bell. Fäviken uses a plancha and lots of pickles, doesn't mean they're on the same tier as mcdonalds.

There is only one definition of memes, what is the pepe definition ?

>Fäviken uses a plancha and lots of pickles, doesn't mean they're on the same tier as mcdonalds.

Actually it does.

What he probably meant is that meme there is being used in the "genes of a culture" sense and not in the "overused internet joke" sense.

2. An image, video, piece of text, etc., typically humorous in nature, that is copied and spread rapidly by Internet users, often with slight variations. Also with modifying word, as Internet meme, etc.

I work 80 hour weeks and sous vide allows me to have dinner just a sear away when I get home, has helped me lose weight since i'm not picking up fast food on my way home from work and instead will enjoy a nice roast or steak and a salad.

aren't master chef competitors rank amateurs?

You are literally on the same tier as Taco bell. Their meat comes as a slurry in plastic bags that they place into hot water that hardens so they can chop it up into "ground beef".
You are literally wrong about Taco Bell. What the fuck meat hardens when you heat it up? And chopped into ground beef? Don't be retarded. It's just frozen ground beef heated in water.

Sous vide is literally a genius plot made by jews
>smart people starting to have their doubts about BPA
>more and more studies reveal that it is problematic if your food constantly touches plastic
>"ooh loook goyim! cook your food for hours in plastic bags is the new trend! only smart and sophisticated people do that!"

I'd love to know their endgame but one thing is for sure sous vide is cancerous.

Nah it just helps refine cooking a bit by cooking ingredients in a uniform fashion

Not necessary but helps refine cooking

>Jews
Retard.

Oy vey goyim, this anti-semitism is completely uncalled for! Sous vide is good for you, just ask Dr. Shekelberg MD

It's from Metal Gear Rising you dingus. Monsoon says it.

no bpa leeching under 190F

hmm, let's see
> fish
uniformly horrible and mushy, don't even bother to try it
> poultry
duck breast, pan seared on the skin side to finish, oh my
> pork
made the most amazing cubanos I have ever eaten in my life
> rabbit
very nice and tender, but I didn't put enough butter in, came out less flavorful than it should have
> sheep
don't bother. tagine or crockpot or anything like that is ten times better for the same effort.
> lamb chops
so not worth the bother. for such thin cuts pan-searing is all that's needed
> octopus
THE solution. get a sv setup and you will never have to eat rubbery octopus, ever again.

generally speaking, SV is GOAT when it comes to lean meats, useful for other types of protein (except fish, fuck fish) and borders on the counterproductive for vegetables (although there's something to be said for the texture of stuff that's poached at 80 C instead of outright boiled)

>boil
it's pretty far below 212 typically, right?

>jews
the cause of and answer to all of lifes problems.

you need to use a firm fish and it needs to be for only like 10-12 minutes in order to cook it to medium rare.

we did white sturgeon in duck fat with thyme, salt and pepper for 12 minutes at like 160 i believe.. it was amazing.

good for you.. i stand corrected. for most people it isn't worth it, but for meal prep it makes a lot of sense.

in a way, we both use it for the same application. to have food ready to go in an instant when you need it to be.

Ifyouonlyknewhowbadthingsreallyare.jpg

anyone arguing that sous vide is indispensable for the home cook is a dingus, but it is fucking sweeeeeeet and there's a whole category of stuff you just cannot do by any other method, at home or professionally.

anyone with a small oven who wants to do a big roast with all the trimmings can get a lot out of sous vide.