I'm going to my Grandma's 90th birthday party next week...

I'm going to my Grandma's 90th birthday party next week. There's around 100 people going and each family is supposed to bring a dish. I'm not an amazing cook. Probably just mediocre. But I need an idea/recipe of something to make. It doesn't have to be enough for everyone, just whoever wants to try it. My Grandma is polish/German, so anything inspired by their dishes would be a big plus. It doesn't have to be a main course, it can be an appetizer/snack, dessert or whatever. Just something not too hard to make. They usually have sauerkraut/kielbasa and some kind of pasta for the kids that are picky. I'm just looking for some suggestions.

I don't have a good picture.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Qf_W7As6xbk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I tend to bring pasta or lentil salad to gatherings and potluck. Or dessert if you can bake?

Take little smokies put on tooth pick with pineapple dip in bbq sauce than broil in oven

Simple and fucking delicous

Most of my family are Americans and will bring something similar. I should've said that too. Lentil/potato/macaroni salad is probably already going to be there.

Baking is my strong suit though(not amazing but I can do it pretty well).

Lil smokies were actually my plan b if I couldn't find something. I just wanted to put a bit more effort in if possible.

So bring cookies, or cupcakes, or a nylons of mousse (chocolate, maple, cheese cake) that you can pipe in disposable party glasses

Be a champ and make a cocktail in bulk

Bring a bucket of KFC. Be the hero your family deserves.

Buttered parsnips and buttered carrots. Quick. Easy. Delicious. No one expects it. Probably won't be the life of the party or anything, but it's not a bad choice. Just peel and cut your veg, boil to a few minutes under desired doneness, drain and put into a container with butter, salt and parsley and/or dill. Also ground caraway, if that's your twist.
Lid the container, shake about to mix and set aside to cook by residual heat.

You can either let it finish up by residual heat on the ride over there or cook ahead of time and reheat it once you arrive.

Or bake some bread.

My aunt that's hosting the party does cookies and brownies. If it's a dessert that's made I'd like it to be more complex than those.

My grandma frowns on her grandchildren drinking like that outright or I would. I plan on making jello shots for the kids that just hit 21 and putting them in a cooler though.

Nobody ever complains when you bring bottles of booze instead of a dish.

Watermelon salad? Refreshing and usually unexpected.

Cheesecake verrines look fancy but are easy to make.

This

This, or a pre-packaged vegetable tray.

Eat all the radishes before you get there

My family is big and there's only one literal black sheep. No thanks.

That sounds good but my rich aunt always does store bought vegetables/trays

Dude just bring beer. Fuck food.

Bring something non alcoholic? Hibiscus infusion has been popular with my folks. Or some variation on lemonade.

I'm not rad - I'm radish.

Beesting cake is a traditional sort of dessert in Germany, so it might be a plus considering your heritage- twist pastries can also be made in bulk, albeit very simple.

An old fashioned roast or savory, home made bread/rolls could compliment a lot of the others dishes that might be present. Honey baked ham maybe? Versatile, and people seem to love it.

If all else fails, throw some pies or slow cooker meals into the mix. I might post a few ideas for recipes, too

>Beesting cake
I've been stung by bees before. It sucks. That name would make me avoid eating it.

Not everyone is an autistic loser

Kielbasa and peppers and onions are easy.

make her a German chocolate cake

Stuffed cabbage and Borscht

Not OP, but I'm making something like borscht for tonight's dinner: céklaleves. Grated beetroot, thinly sliced onion, mushroom stock, mushrooms, herbs (dill and/or parsley) and either lemon juice, vinegar or strained sour cream (I like it with vinegar), often served with boiled or pickled eggs.
It's simple and delicious. Would you like me to document the process?

Not OP but I would.

I have never known a gathering to turn away deviled eggs.

Pick up one or two 'flats' of eggs and start boiling them up, go to town.

Spicy pickle relish and hot mustard.
Crumbled crispy bacon and grated chedder.
Chopped dills and very finely diced onion&celery.

The world is the mollusc of your choice when it comes to additions and options above and beyond a basic recipe.

K. Lemme see if I can find my camera. I don't wanna use my phone to do it right now because it's charging.

>deviled eggs
Those are my weakness. My knees buckle when I encounter good deviled eggs. That's the quickest way to my heart. I would dump my petite, blond, beautiful girlfriend for some ugly fat chick if she could make great deviled eggs.

Yeah, yeah, we've all heard these excuses before.

beesting cake is not a dessert tho but its still a gr8 cake and everyone would prolly love it because its simple and tasty

Is that a common excuse here? I often say "yeah, not using my phone because charging" here and use my camera instead, actually posting pics. Here's a carrot soup prepared in much the same way (swapping out the beetroot for carrot, omitting the mushrooms and mushroom stock and adding caraway and veg stock), taken with my camera. There are also potato balls in it, which are delicious.

Jello cake man
they'll eat it up

use the google, my noogle!

if I mad you some deviled eggs, could I borrow your gf?

nothing too dirty, just a bj and some light anal

I'd loan you a loafer and some lube.

make some Spätzle
its just a german noodle basically
its not that hard and you're family will probably appreciate it
you can put a lot of different stuff on top of it as well

All done cooking. Currently enjoying my soup. I took pictures. I'll post them when I'm finished eating. Should that be ITT or should I start a new thread that will invariably go ignored?

Start a new thread, I say.

i can't get over the fact that those look like tonsil stones

Ask them what they need. Last time I went to a potluck like this there were about 20 different appetizers, 10 different salads, 10 different deserts and only a few proper entres which ran out in minutes. It's especially bad if there's a high percentage of young people.

This. Easy, effortless, and people will love you for it. My uncle would always do this at potlucks because even if they provides drinks, I guarantee it's not enough.

I did. As predicted, it's gone largely ignored.

>watermelon and cheese

OP, I've got a decent spinach casserole recipe if you still haven't decided.

There's also Sauerbraten (marinated beef) that'd give you some room to meddle with the recipe a bit, while remaining pretty simple.

Your Grandma sucks. My Grandma chugs bottles of wine when she's in pain and she's cool. She fought in wars and served the Army.

Sounds like an alcoholic cunt desu

Sauerbraten

She's not alcoholic. She grew up poor in the Philipines and made it in America by pure hard work and went to raise 6 kids in California and New York. She's almost 90 and she works like an Ox because it's all she knows.

>what should I bring to the party
>no mention of party cheese salad

youtube.com/watch?v=Qf_W7As6xbk

One job, Veeky Forums. One job.

None of that has anything to do with her alcoholism.

Sachertorte!

>Spinach casserole
Not OP but gimme please? I love spinach and am always for looking for new recipes.

Make potato onion and farmer cheese peirogis. Mash taters, sauté onions, mix. Add farmers cheese.
Dough.flour salt egg. Roll. Use cup to cut out peirogi shape, add stuffing, fold over. Boil. Refrigerate, bring over. Reboil for a min or two or pan fry to serve.

weed brownies

>not PCP

It's like you don't even want to have fun. Pay homage to Titanic bro.

>there's only one literal black sheep.
Unless your family is communist everyone would love fried chicken you racist nigga.

I had this for a sunday lunch once with a hangover as a starter since the usual place was close, holy fuck it was so so good, any fruit tends to work well with cheese since it cuts through it, this just also makes it nice & juicy & great

this man knows whats up