Do you toast your sugar? It's the latest meme ingredient

Do you toast your sugar? It's the latest meme ingredient.

seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/05/dry-toasted-sugar-granulated-caramel-recipe.html

Other urls found in this thread:

playingwithfireandwater.com/files/carrot-cake.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=cppOojKBNko
youtube.com/watch?v=E3HehLKqxsY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I only eat gluten free sugar non GMO vegan sugar.

That sugar is crap if it isnt activated first.

I toast my free-range organic salt until it develops a rustic nutty flavor, this will be a meme in 2-3 months, you heard it here first.

i made this recipe about 6 years ago that involved caramelising and then regrinding the sugar

playingwithfireandwater.com/files/carrot-cake.pdf

it was cool

>It's the latest meme ingredient.

I hadn't heard of it before reading about it on SE though.

I think something needs to actually be popular before it's a meme.

The SE recipe avoids melting the sugar, but "caramelizes" it still in its solid form.

which apparently makes a difference flavor wise.

yes i've heard harold mcgee talk about low temp caramelisation of sugar before. but i bet it does change the crystal structure to some extent.

Serious Eats is my least favorite cooking website.

Also, remember the Chow channel on YouTube? The people who brought us such classics as the Dorito's consomme and the "you're doing it all wrong" show?

youtube.com/watch?v=cppOojKBNko

youtube.com/watch?v=E3HehLKqxsY

I hate Serious Eats even more than Chow, and that's saying a lot. Both are cancer, but while Chow is operable, if you get the Serious Eats cancer, you dead.

what's wrong with seriouseats

Don't forgot, it has to be farm to table.

no, it always falls out of the bottom of my toaster where all the crumbs go

Obviously you turn the toaster on its side.

>not having a dedicated toaster for your sugar

What's it feel like to be such a flyover?

That seems like it would be good in spiced desserts like gingersnaps, certain pound cakes, cinnamon rolls/muffins, etc. It's analogous to browning your butter when making a cookie batter and then chilling the dough, in lieu of the tradition creaming method.

Still:
>A mere hour of toasting will dramatically tame the sugar's sweetness
ISN'T SWEETNESS KIND OF THE POINT OF SUGAR?

>Doritos consomme

I visit this board like once every six months. It never fails to disgust and horrify me.

What the fuck happened America. You were the leaders of the free world.

>I think something needs to actually be popular before it's a meme.
Idiot.

I'm gonna try it in some simple short bread and see if it makes for an improvement.

>Dorito Consomme
I remember when that video was posted and then all the comments on all the videos after said that the "recipe was all right but could use a southwestern kick." This was probably my only introduction to destructive meme magic. Chow memed itself into the ground.

If by any chance this thread is still around afterwards, post your results/impressions.

I wonder if Chinese dry-fried salt and pepper is next for someone to "discover".

This pretty much. Apparently anytime someone does something that's been around for a while but makes it known to the public it's now a "meme".

Don't forget that anything disliked by the poster is also considered a meme on this board.

Oh yeah, that too.

Been in the oven for two hours, it's just starting to go. That's a sample of the plain sugar on the spatula.

So.. You're using toffee as a sweetener.

is that supposed to tell me something useful

Lold

Glorious non-flyover master race reporting

what temp

Supposedly 300˚F, but my oven is unreliable as fuck. I left it for another couple of hours but it didn't do anything interesting, so I suspect it was actually a lot lower than that.

Smelled nice though.

>The GMO sugar is somehow different than organic sugar meme

Oh my god I'm totally going to do this and pretend I'm walter white making an amphetamine based drug and then I'll eat it all and it will be delicious.

The caramelization temperature of sugar is 320 so...

>When we make caramel standing at the stove, we use high heat to liquefy and then brown the sugar in a few minutes, and the liquefying temperature can be upwards of 380°F/190°C. But Professor Schmidt's group found that when they ramped up the heat slowly, over the course of an hour, so that significant chemical breakdown takes place before the solid structure gives way, the sugar liquefied at 290°F/145°C.

>I made the caramelized sugars in these photos by putting crystals and cubes in my gas oven at around 250°F/125°C, shielding them with foil above and below to avoid temperature extremes from the cycling heating element, and leaving them there overnight and longer. In the large sugar crystals, which I got in a Chinese market, it's clear that breakdown and caramelization is fastest in the center. That may be because the center is where impurities get concentrated as the crystals are made, and the impurities then kickstart the breakdown process.

I didn't read the article I just looked at the pictures

That face looks like it's about to unhinge and eat you whole like a python.

Well I've got a jar full of slightly blonde sugar now.

It's interesting, it does have a hint of caramel, but I didn't take it as far as the stuff in the article.

I bought some to make cookies a while back and used the leftover in my coffee, it tastes the same as regular sugar, only reason to roast it is for the colour really

How to make a cheap sandwich that poor people eat the propper way
>buy expensive ingredients
>use right proportions
>add nutella and bacon
>cook it
Geee I wonder why nobody ever thought of that