Explain this

Explain this.

Other urls found in this thread:

goveganoroffyourself.wordpress.com/health/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That's it, I am now a #hillbilly

Explain what? Overpriced chicken? I have no idea why it costs that much in the photo. It might be BS. Where I live that would cost about $5. Though you'd be silly to buy the breast meat; the thigh is not only cheaper but tastier too.

>le cherrypicking meat

You can buy enough lean chicken, brown rice, potatoes, green beans and broccoli to feed yourself for a week for the price of that shit on the right.

I agree. Junk food should be heavily taxed

Chicken has gone up a little over $1 in the past 10 months, and beef has gone up almost $2.
fuck America

None of those things are healthy. Chicken has never been associated with any health benefits whatsoever.

its true. Why do you think mexicans are so fat?

Where do you live? Or is your estimate for a single meal a day?

you eat 2 pounds of chicken every day?

You can get enough chicken for 4 people with like 5-7$

Some idiot made an inaccurate graphic to justify eating garbage instead of cooking?

It can be cheaper to eat "healthy" but you really have to dig for it. Don't go to chain supermarkets. If you live in an area with a large ethnic population (asians, mexicans, indians) see if there is a market catered to them and get your produce there. On average it'll be much cheaper than Walmart.

For meat I don't buy from butchers because all of the ones in my area are incredibly jewish, so I go by this store that specializes in frozen food and buy a bag of frozen free range chicken (which even with the yuppie tag on it, is still cheaper than buying it "fresh")

I'll admit, I thought eating hot pockets and taco bell was cheaper in the long run. But one fucked up colon later, I now realize it's not only better to eat food I make myself, but much more sustainable too.

I live in Canada where the price of food is retarded and even I've never paid that much for chicken.

Also,

>being poor

>buying soda is cheaper than drinking water

What bothers me most is I'm reading that America has a HUGE load of cheese/meat that they havent been able to sell and is basically sitting in freezers waiting for people to buy. WHY is the price so high if this is the case.

This all being said, I'm Canadian so we have our own pricing problems...

Everything is expensive in Australia, user. Those products on the right are clearly Aussie, not US.

In my area (Texas, USA) that chicken would cost about $4-5 USD.

Everyone should learn to make a simple meal of rice and beans, or because I'm Southern, beans and cornbread.

I like to garnish mine with a little Chow-chow relish. Pickled peppers and raw onion on the side. And instead of cornbread, I usually deep fry some hushpuppies.

If you can't turn $13.59 into several solid meals, then you are a failure.

Literally deluded DYELs who don't even eat protein. A kilo of breasts goes for $13-16 here in Canada. That's 16 grams of protein for a dollar, on average. Italian salami and decent cheese has better protein/price ratio than chicken.

Supermarkets are a problem in that most of what they sell isn't really ingredients to make into food, it's snacks and convenience food. That's like 80% of what's for sale at a supermarket. If you didn't buy any of that stuff and just bought ingredients to cook with your bill would be pretty cheap, but you'd have to spend a lot of time cooking, and most folks are too lazy for that.

A dually by weight it's cheaper to buy meat and chicken but if you add veiges the price is at least 40% more
I mostly eat meat and chicken with rice, bread or potatoes because of this
Today a pound of onions a pound of carrots, half a pound of bell pepper and one garlic coste d me the same as a pound of meat
If I added fruit it would be twice as much and if I wasn't careful and got shit like an avocado, another Bell pepper, some frozen berries or anything like that it would be way more expensive, maybe even twice as expensive than meat

For meat I like going for organs much cheaper and better for you

It isn't, the real problem is the ignorance of people concerning nutrition and how to spend money.

I'm mexican and when i was a student i spent like the equivalent of $20-24 dollars on food for 5 days and i ate healthy and plenty. Meanwhile most of the other students i met would spent double that on shitty food and/or going to a restaurant to eat.

Also:
>Why do you think mexicans are so fat?

>Implying Amerifats are the epithome of fitness and healthy eating

>chicken

>healthy

$14.00?!
$5.00?!

The hell kind of shithole do you live in?

That much chicken would be barely $2 here in Texas, looks like about a pound, maybe another half.

Thats not a meal. It's a bunch of sides piled together. Accessories are supposed to compliment an outfit. Not be the whole outfit.

Vegan in the right, dirty meat eaters on the left
How are you going to justify your diet now? Cruelty advocates?

>The hell kind of shithole do you live in?

Texas. Standard price at my local supermarkets (HEB and Kroger) for chicken breast is about $3/lb. I estimated that at about 1.5 lbs, so $5 is about right. Of course you can get it for less than that on sale, etc, but not at standard prices--at least not in my area.

Is shit really this expensive in the US? I checked, and the 'standard' Polish price for chicken breast (15PLN for a kg) translates to about $1.65/lb...
And that's the 'standard' price, most people buy it when it's like, 20% off or whatever (which is often)

Well of course it's pointless to ignore the cost of living and all that. But my impression is that price of chicken part are valued very differently depending on country.

Here in Sweden chicken breast are like the equivalent of 10 euro a kg (like 6$ per pound or something), which is like two or even three times as much as what chicken thigh and wings cost. When I was in Japan it was reversed, with breast being far cheaper than thigh (like twice the price difference).

7683542 here. I rarely buy chicken breast because for most recipes I prefer the dark meat. I nearly always buy whole chickens or the leg meat. I may be misremembering the price of breast, but AFIK it's about $2.50-3 per pound.

Whole supermarket chickens are about $1/lb. Drumsticks and legs are about the same. Wings are about $2-3/lb. Free-range chickens from the Asian market are $12.50 each, whole. Weight about 4lbs.

Again, those are normal prices rather than sale.

i guess it's a good thing it's food and not clothes then, huh?

it's not ""cuisine,"" Caligula. it's sustenance

This.

Meat is not only murder, it is unhealthy, stupidly expensive, and straight up retarded.

Our ancestors had no choice in protein, but these days there are a million other ways to get the needed daily nutrient intake.

>it's murder
i dont' care
>it's unhealthy
i'm very healthy, and i eat meat
>stupidly expensive
i'm not stupidly poor, so i can easily afford it
>straight up retarded
yes, that's why no one feels bad about killing "straight up retarded" animals and eating me.

>2 large chicken breasts: $6
>2 16 oz bags of rice: $2.50
>1 16 oz bag of black beans $1.50
>1 16 oz bag of pinto beans $1
>2 cloves of garlic $1
>3 potatoes $1
>1 large pepper, or 3 jalapenos $1
>oil $marginal

>$14

you need to apply yourself, son.

Factor in the medical costs and fatass appliances/accessories you'll need and that chicken breast is pretty cheap compared to the junk food.

Meat and booze are by far hands down the most expensive routine purchases at a grocery store. Beef and seafood can be outrageous. Snacks, while I am not defending buying cookies, are relatively cheap in comparison when you consider portion sizes.

>Beef and seafood can be outrageous.
Yeah seafood is expensive and so is some cuts of beef, but saying all meat is expensive because of it is like saying vegetables are expensive because avocados are. Whole chicken, liver, minced meat, stew meat can all be gotten for relatively cheap.

Chicken hearts specifically are the best bang for the buck, but besides poultry and some cuts of pork, the cost of meat is still the most expensive part of shopping.

Here's the difference: Get a good quality avocado. We'll say 3 bucks for a pound. Get a good quality cut of any animal. I agree there are ways to cheapen the impact of the cost of meats, but they are still by far the most expensive part of grocery shopping.

Chicken is $2/lbs here. So that's roughly $4.50/kg. The fuck you live, London?

If you were vegan you could have gotten 14 lbs of beans and rice with that money.

>Implying you need to be vegan to make rice and beans a staple

>Implying I care.

Veganism is cheaper and healthier. Even that chicken isn't healthy. It's loaded with carcinogens and feces and arsenic. Fucking gross.

>$14
For 3 meals. That's less than $5 a meal. Still a bit high, but acceptable.

You can eat an exact vegan diet even if you're not a vegan, see the point of not being vegan?

Take your bullshit somewhere else, no one here cares outside of trolls looking to fan flames.

>Whole chicken
A raw whole chicken is ~$20 here, while in the same store, I can buy a cooked one for $10.

you can eat ~11 oz of rice and ~11 oz of beans in a single sitting?

That's awful. I'm glad I don't live wherever you live.

Whole chickens here are normally about $1/lb, but they go on sale several times a year for as low as 50-75 cents/lb so I tend to wait for a sale and buy a couple to stick in the freezer.

The cooked rotisserie chickens are usually $5/each.

Shit that's expensive. I can get a whole, raw chicken for about $7 and a cooked one for about $6.

Washington state here, 1 hour north of Seattle.

Miscalculation on my part due to looking at the potatoes and just dividing without actually thinking. It just further reinforced my point though...Which note that I think about this more is probably the point the poster was trying to make.

I need sleep apparently.

Calm down. None of it's bullshit.
goveganoroffyourself.wordpress.com/health/

>That link

Lol, no.

>Plants
>Not loaded with carcinogens, feces, and arsenic
top jej

Food prices vary from place to place. Wow, who would have thought.

How fat are you? Serious question. Not that guy, but lemme break it down:

>2 large chicken breasts
What's large?
One whole, bone-in, skin on chicken breast with the breast bone still intact weighs roughly 2¼lbs, give or take, so two would be ~4½lbs, I guess. Whole breast is about 64% lean meat, 9% skin and fat and 27% bone and cartilage, so that'd yield around 2.86lbs, which is around 12 servings of meat.
Also provides around 6oz of cooking grease (the skin and fat) and can cook up into about 2-3 cups of stock (the bones and cartilage).
Split breast (same as a whole breast, just split in half, left and right breasts, obviously) are on sale in my area at Save-a-lot stores for 99¢/lb, so it'd be even cheaper for me at the moment than he'd suggested.

>2 16 oz bags of rice
1lb of rice yields 6 servings or so. That's 12 servings of boiled rice there. However, ⅓lb of rice cooks up into 4 servings of rice porridge, so 10 servings of boiled rice and 4 servings of rice porridge. You can stretch it even further: a full pound of rice will cook up 12 servings of porridge, leaving you with six servings of boiled rice from the remaining pound. That nearly covers the 21 breakfasts, lunches and dinners in a week.

>1 16 oz bag of black beans
8 servings.

>1 16 oz bag of pinto beans
Another 8 servings.

>3 potatoes
3 servings.

There's more than enough there for a week's lunches and dinners. Not interesting meals, mind you, but meals all the same.

Do it. The fate of the world is depending on you.

Safeway just had whole fryer chickens at under a dollar at safeway. Gonna be eating roast chicken for a while lmao.

[spoiler]how do i make a good stock and what do i do when i have it?[/spoiler]

>lmao

Yeah, but who pays standard price? Bone-in breast is currently on sale for $.88/lb(approx $.79 with senior discount, you get even more savings if you use shit like checkout51, etc.) at krogers.

You and I both know anything expensive as in OP's pic is going to be some free-range organic shit.

This is a shitty troll thread btw, I feel bad for replying.

>He never thought that chicken costs more in Canada because the Canadian dollar is abysmal
>"You must be a lanklet if you don't eat chicken at my retarded regional prices!"

You are dangerously stupid

Everett please go.

>how do i make a good stock and what do i do when i have it?

butcher your chicken and remove the thighs/legs/breasts and then use the remaining carcass boil with mirepoix and continually skim the top. You can freeze that shit forever and then add it to anything where you would normally add water. Really good in mashed potatoes instead of milk or in combination with a little cream.

If you truly are eating to sustain yourself, and are monetarily limited you would not give a single fuck as to whether or not you are eating things that are considered "sides"

>how do i make a good stock and what do i do when i have it?

Stick the bones in a stock pot, roast them first to brown them if you want some more flavor (optional), add aromatic vegetables (carrots, celery, onion, parsnips, etc.), add other aromatics like garlic, ginger, spices like peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, star anise, allspice, coriander, etc. depending on what kind of flavor profile you're looking for. Cover with water, bring to a boil, reduce to barely simmering, cover and let it go for a while. Check every hour or two, skim off any scum that rises to the top, give it a stir, cover it again. I usually simmer stock for 6-8 hours. Strain it, cool it off and put it in the fridge over night. Remove the congealed fat from the top when it's cold. You now have stock.

Use stock in recipes that call for it, or use it to make some soup or whatever. You can also portion it out and freeze it for use later.

Cook a chicken.
Save all the parts you don't eat.
Throw that shit in a pot with a couple of bay leaves or w/e.
Boil the fuck out of it.
Stock.

Yeah and I fed a group of six people a home cooked dinner for $20. If it was for just me I could have had dinner for a week for $20, and I wasn't even trying to be cost efficient with it.

Also how much freaking meat do you need to eat? I have it a couple times a week, so it isn't really that much of an expense.

On what fucking planet do chicken breasts cost that much.

Also, cooked correctly, they will be alot more filling then that stuff.

I have nothing against junk food but dam this post is stupid.

Also, throw in $2 worth of pasta and $3 worth of Alfredo ingredients and you just made 4 or five meals on $18. (Even though we both know chicken don't cost that much)

What do you mean by "cooked correctly"? I don't see how it's going to be more filling depending on how you cook it.

he means that the magically cheap chicken is more filling when.. you know.. you cook it a certain way.

>eating chicken breasts when hearts, gizzards, and feet are practically free.

honestly the most Ive seen meat cuts (decent size and cut go for is like 13) Also its for like a family sized portion. You can feed yourself for like 25 in a week. That includes one or two meat items, beans, rice ,some veggies oats for breakfast.

I'm in Texas and boneless, skinless chicken breast is 1.99 a pound at Kroger if you have the plus card.

Ground turkey at HEB was on sale for less than that.

Oh thank my blind eyes!

oooorrrrrrr

where the fuck do you live that supermarkets don't have actual ingredients for sale?

kinda want to know so i never go there, because nowhere i've ever been to is like that

>mfw i buy chicken breasts and thighs for $2/lb (4.50/kg) and probably lift more than you.

also protein powder is a lot cheaper here, too. sry brah, you're never gonna make it in your shitty, third world country

Just face it guys, eating healthy is just too expensive for most people.

>bragging about how cheap his whey protein is
>literally a meme marketed byproduct that has exploded in price that was considered throwaway trash a few decades ago

>gotta stretch my $29 budget for the week
>buy $5 worth of limes and $2 worth of cilantro

how in the fuck is that $29?

cilanto - $1
scallions - $1
limes - $2
jalapeno - 50 cents
like im not even continuing this. where the fuck did she buy all that where it was close to 30?

whole foods, duh. you know, where the poor people on food assistance shop

The fuck? I'm being generous and I total up about $20 there. With food stamps that shit's way cheaper. How the fuck does that come out to $30?

What you can even make with that? The world's saddest burrito?

She probably tipped the cashier 40%.
A nice picture for your social media persona.

>>Why do you think mexicans are so fat?

I think alot of the meat they buy is really low quality shit. That and all of the fried foods. I have banged several fat mexican women and every one had a horribly stinky pussy. Their systems be out of whack yo.

Prices were still way higher when our dollar was worth more than yours a few years back.

SEVEN

FUCKING

LIMES

Scurvy is rampant among the poor.

>13.59

What fucking shithole do you live in? Boneless, skinless chicken breast in New York City is fucking 2 dollars.

Supermarkets have actual ingredients for sale, but that's not most of what they sell. Most of what they sell is ready to eat crap like breakfast cereal, terrible bread, snack foods, canned soup/stews, frozen heat and eat meals, soda, deli meats and cheeses and various prepared foods (hummus, salsa, dips and the like). There are only two or three aisles with actual ingredients that you could use when you're cooking. The rest of what they sell is ways to avoid cooking or cooking shortcuts. The focus is not on cooking. So shopping there takes your focus away from cooking. The jar of pasta sauce starts to seem like a normal thing, as does the bottle of salad dressing, salad in a bag and the frozen pizza or rotisserie chicken. "Normal" becomes not really cooking.

Pretty much everything green and leafy in that picture has vitamin C in it. There is no reason to have THAT many limes.

I like having a lean protein like chicken every day because it's cheap and filling. I typically only eat one full meal a day because I work a terrible job with no labor unions.

SNAP isn't supposed to form your entire grocery budget.

Gotta have your gin and tonics

>None of it's bullshit.
>goveganoroffyourself

The biggest majority of people are not calorie starved.
So the calorie argument that "unhealthy" food is cheaper is a non-argument.

Beans, rice, potatoes, normal meat is ultimately more nutrient dense than overly processed food.
People often have vitamin deficiencies, not caloric deficiencies and "healthy" food is a lot cheaper on a vitamin basis.

Unless that is some stupid Whole Foods shit, please tell me where someone would find that much chicken breast to cost around the same as that much junk?

You can't because it's fucking fake as shit. Even for organic chicken.

I'm sick of posts like this. Why doesn't anybody just find a cure for autism? It's no fun diagnosing it anymore.