Perpetual Stew

Has anyone here ever made one?

I want to but I feel uneasy about the possibility of food poisoning.

In what manner do you think you'll get food poisoning?

You don't normally use the same food for weeks or months at a time occasionally adding new ingredients. It's a foreign concept to me.

As long as it maintains a constant simmer, bacteria won't be able to form. There's nothing to worry about.

I really don't understand the point, or see how it could be in any way appealing. If you don't live in fucking Siberia and need to keep a fire going 24/7 in order not to freeze it's also a terrible waste of gas/energy.

But you can roleplay as a medieval innkeep

Apart from seemingly impractical you also inevitably get the smell of stew filled in your home. And if there's one way for one to lose appetite of some specific food is by smelling it constantly for several days.

Keeping a fire going 24/7 aside, you still need to add water every few hours if you're keeping it at a safe temperature, even below a simmer.

I've heard of some people not keeping it simmering all the time and instead just bringing it to the boil twice a day.

That would be so much more convenient but I just don't know if that is safe or not. It's been done by many people but it goes against food safety logic.

Could always recruit flatmates as wenches to keep the fire and the stew going

no

no no

no no no

no no no no no

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
no

perpetual stews are dumb. you lose flavour and texture if you cook shit too long.

Loosely related, but my half-brother said his Uncle took all the ingredients in the house and put them in a pot and simmered it. Granted he lived out in the wilderness and it was mostly canned/frozen vegetables and game meat. But he did say that there was an old jar of cheese dip, a mostly-empty bottle of ketchup, and some sprouting potatoes that went in. This guy never bought groceries until the house was truly empty.

He was skeptical to eat a bowl, but his Uncle pressured him, and he said it was amazing.

You could keep it going for generations though.

If someone lets the stew die then they have dishonored the family and must be stoned to death.

I'd like to hear the stone soup story start off like this. Like how Indiana Jones movies always begins with him at the tail end of an adventure. The story begins with a young boy picking up the stone that killed the man who ended the soup. Maybe the story ends with our new character dying the same way. It's a perpetual soup story.

The boy who threw the last stone becomes the stew king and must start a new stew that he will rule.

I love making stu!

Actually no the stew guardian

It's used in some Asian establishments as a master stock. New ingredients are thrown in every day, but the entirety of the stock is never consumed. If you're doing this at home, then there's no reason unless you want to roleplay as a medieval innkeep.

After much consideration I have come up with the following plan:

- Make a stew
- Boil it for a good while every day and whenever ingredients are added
- Store it in the fridge the rest of the time
- Keep adding and consuming for a week
- See if I become ill. If not then the stew is deemed a success.

I think it's a reasonable plan that is a lot cheaper than cooking it all the time and may just work. If not then it doesn't really matter since I'll do it when I don't have to worry about missing anything from being ill.

Thoughts? Criticisms?

I heard this story as a child and it confounded me in that; if everyone already had food to eat except for the damn beanie wearing rockfag who contributed nothing. All the other senpai would be safe and happy, yet this deceptive trickster, manipulated the good, decent and prepared townsfolk into depleting their winter stores for a glutinous charity banquet for the stonejew.

I've done it with beef stew and a slow cooker. It's doable, OP.

I had it running for like a week straight and I added shit to it every so often.

well, maybe one. YOUR A DEAD MAN.

there is no way you could expect to heat and cool a a fucking petite dish filled with god knows what and expect to avoid illness. science note: the byproducts of bacteria which can not be killed by any amount of heat are generally far more deadly than the bacteria themselves.

For a big enough stew you'll need a good couple hours before it goes from near boiling temp to fridge temperature, most of which time it's pretty good temp for bacteria growth and all that. I don't think you'll get ill, but I do think the stew will get rather nasty after a while.

that's sad and gross. what were the side effects and why...don't lie...anal leakage and poverty?

Supposedly some families in China buried their stew pots to hide them from the revolutionists, in order to preserve the generations old red stock that had built up.

Actually keeping a perpetual stew going doesn't make much sense these days unless you have a reason to stoke a 24/7 fire, but the general principle is still perfectly valid. Reserve your braising liquid and use it next time, that's all.

Unless you have a blast chiller that's a bad idea.

One of the first things they teach you in food safety class is that the time spent in the temperature danger zone is cumulative, so every time you let it sit out at a temperature where pathogens can multiply it only increases the chances of making you sick, even if you bring it back to a boil again.

If I could have a wood fire in my house I would keep it going 24/7. Unfortunately my chimney is too narrow to meet the regulations or something.

I assume by "Asian" you mean Southeast Asian. Those creatures never cease to amaze me with their barbarity. Those faggots will boil a bamboo chute wrapped in a dirty dish rag and call It a Mekong wet tamale.

Damn it.

saw some video a long time ago (forgot where/when) some asian bitch had been cooking the same shit in the same pot every day for decades without cleaning it and selling it to people.

don't really understand the point but depending on the temperatures/ingredients i guess its safe. busting off a piece of that ancient grime would surely be an unpleasant bite though.

That sucks, but CO buildup is a reasonable concern. Could you narrow the fireplace itself?

The problems aren't insurmountable. You can rapidly cool a pot by putting it in a sink full of ice water and stirring, if you reduce the liquid before hand even better.

Your main concern is spores and toxins that aren't destroyed by

>the solution to that is a (canning rated) pressure cooker

It sounds like OP wants to pretend he's a medieval inn keeper and dish out a bowl of gruel to eat with a wooden spoon whenever he gets hungry.

I like you.

I think it's just the chimney size that matters and it's really old so it doesn't meet the regulations

>busting off a piece of that ancient grime would surely be an unpleasant bite though
nah nigga that's where the flavors at, like licking cheetos dust

>boiling kills possible bugs
>goes against food safety logic
Don't mix grocery store regulations with common sense.

My mom used to make those.
Turning one braised dish into our main dish for like a month.
Throw in anything in excess reserve or leftover from last meal.
It's good with rice or noodle.
I would not eat that thing by itself.

I'm gonna do this with my slow cooker, should I keep it on warm or low?

Agreed. I hate the phrase so much when it's applied to things like tomatoes and brands of hot sauce, but perpetual soup would be an actual meme food.

Hey OP, just so you know, food safety regulations (and in following, physics) requires that you cool your pot of soup via an ice bath, preferably after putting it into wide flat containers, before putting it in your refrigerator. This is because hot soup will remain in the "danger zone" in the fridge long enough to grow pathogens AND the temperature of your soup will easily heat your entire refrigerator to an unsafe temperature.

Maybe "eternal soup" is just a silly idea.

I like you

>uses an ice bath to cool sauces/soups
>not using an ice wand

noob get the fuck out of my kitchen

Friend that's how we did it at Taco Bell

The highest temperature since you don't want to leave lukewarm stew out in the open for weeks at a time.

And he makes the stew with the person who was stoned

I read somewhere you can bring it to a simmer for 20-30 minutes a day and it would be safe to eat.

Heating cooling and heating again is extremely dangerous! That's one of the worst things you can do

The only reason to keep a food source around perpetually is to keep a strain or mix of bacteria in it alive, like sour dough or other bread starters, drinks like kombucha, and so on. Because before industrialization, finding replacement bacteria was a pain in the ass. Nowadays commonly used bacteria can be purchased at stores, like baker's/brewer's yeast, so it's not that big a deal, unless you've got a unique or hard-to-replace culture.

But a stew? There's just no fucking reason, not now, not a thousand years ago. And if you're cooling it to bacterial-growth temperatures, and periodically heating it to kill bacteria, you're still fucked, because a lot of bacteria excrete heat-stable toxins while they're alive.

>chute
Wa la!

You fucker. You're making me want to play medieval innkeep now.

>There's just no fucking reason, not now, not a thousand years ago

Balsamic vinegar would like a word.

lolwhat

It's like you haven't even researched perpetual stews you plebian.

Do an experiment, fill it with water and see if "warm" keeps it above the danger zone.

Okay so plan mk2:

- Make a stew
- Boil it for a good while every day and whenever ingredients are added
- After boiling it quickly cool it with ice water and put it in the firdge
- Store it in the fridge most of the time
- Keep adding and consuming for a week while recording observations about the stew and whether it seems off in appearance or smell or anything
- See if I become ill. If not then the stew is deemed a success and further trials can begin.

You guys keep telling me I'll die but I've seen stew based foods last longer than a week and that's without regular sterilisation .

There's a ramen place in Kurume that has supposedly kept their stock simmering for the last sixty years.

This guy gets it.

If I won a large lottery I would open a large tavern/inn and live there. Also the serving girls would wear skimpy wench uniforms. I'd tend bar dressed as a pirate.

Need a good name for the place.

The Ol' Stew and Chew

>at least one person replied to this seriously
Fuck yeah

Went on a trip out west with 80 other teenagers and 4 adults like 5-6 years ago. When we got to the Grand Canyon, someone made stew for dinner and put in all the leftovers from the last few days. There was a normal beef stew base, but there were also peppermints, apples, and Walmart brand pop tarts that made it in.

>ctrl+f cabbage
>no results
A single food thing in the world that benefits from reheating.

i just canned 16 pints of stew today

made the stock yesterday with bones i've been saving in the freezer

perhaps something like that is suitable, op?

Damn that chicago style pizza looks great

> Make stu eat some put in fridge
>Cook ingredients that you want to add to stu and then put in fridge
> when new ingredients are cold add them to the original stu then reheat only the serving that you wish to eat

Mayhaps

Chuck's suck & fuck.

Thank you, Veeky Forums, for giving me a reason to keep living.

Something to strive for.

I had some an african (nigerian specifically) roommate in college who did that. Bad idea. You will have the worst shits for days, sure, after a while you're more used to those shits but fuck that.
Also from a more scientific standpoint it's bad as well. Yes boiling it will kill the bacteria but they will grow, it wont get rid of the microbial toxins that are left even after bacteria are dead.

Ye olde assburger tavern

Man what the Hell is it with alle the paranoia? Do you all wipe your homes with antiseptics once a week? A bit of Bacterial buildup wont kill you, or even make you remotely sick unless you take Immune suppressants.
Food Safety standards are that high to keep people from cutting corners for Profit or out of laziness - also , once you serve large numbers of people, the risk of someone actually getting sick increases exponentially, never mind the possibility of it hurtinng your business.
However, if you only feed your own household or yourself, I just cant see the harm of not going completely overboard and pissing your pants at the thought of even a single bacterium forming in your food. Nevermind that you can taste things for a reason - if it tastes bad, it is most likely bad. That simple. Maybe just trust the abilities that have kept your forebears alive for aeons instead of being anal about some arbitrary regulations.

Tits N' Grits

Everything was ok OP

What that other guy said. Boiling might not get rid of all the toxins.

>the person who was stoned
A boy named Stu

Perpetual Stew.