8 oz New York Strip

>8 oz New York Strip
>seasoned with sea salt and freshly ground pepper
>53 minutes @ 130° sous vide
>seared 30 seconds each side on pan with 1 tbsp butter while simultaneously using a creme brulee torch on the other side

I'm never going to a steak house again.

Sorry if this question is dumb but 8 oz means weight, right? And not height?

oz is a measurement of weight. fluid oz is a measurement of volume. height is a measurement of dimension, which is 1/3 the measurement of volume (height x length x width)

Right, .5 lbs.

Yum, what'd you have with it?

Yukon Gold mashed potatoes, made with heavy whipping cream, butter, and whole milk.

Some people say Yukon Golds aren't good for mashed potatoes, but they taste good to me.

Hay, would using a normal torch from home depot fuck that shit up?

All that work and you still got a shit sear.

This

You're heat wasn't high enough for the sear maybe?

Looks perfect inside tho. How'd you sous vide it? Like one of those sticks or just a thermometer and stove top?

People use heavy duty torches for sous vide all the time. As long as you don't burn it too long, it will work just fine.

You want a thin layer of crisp on the outside, and the inside to be tender. It's better to use thicker cuts of steak to achieve this.

>You're heat wasn't high enough for the sear maybe?
Probably. Or maybe I should do more than 30 seconds on each side. It was crispier than the last one I made, though.

>How'd you sous vide it? Like one of those sticks or just a thermometer and stove top?
I got one of those electronic stick ones that you attach to a generic pot.

What does a good sear look like?

> He fell for the sous vide meme
user don't you know that a grill will provide a better flavor and texture? Only cucks worry more about done-ness that flavor.

The benefit of sous vide is that it's easy and almost impossible to screw up.

grilling steaks
>go find grill
>clean up animal droppings
>discover you're out of propane/charcoal/wood
>drive to the store
>light up grill, arranging heat in complex 3D cydic shape that the Internet swears by
>season steak
>put on the grill
>awkwardly wait to turn steak while your best friend is inside hitting on your wife
>cook steak too long
>medium well
>$10 and hours of your life down the drain

sous vide steak
>season steak
>bag it
>throw in water
>relax for an hour
>take it out and sear it on the pan with some butter
>enjoy delicious, restaurant quality steak cooked to perfection

Lol user, user, the first ten thing (most of everything you said) was so sad. If you were my friend and i knew you personally i would grab you by the butt and make you man up. Don't worry about what the interwebs say because experience will tell you (yes you may mess it up once or twice). Don't worry about that friend of yours because if he can take your lady to bed in the ten minutes it takes to cook a decent steak then you all weren't meant to be together.
The moral of the story is that it's really pretty easy to cook steak, it's an American tradition. Maybe it's being lost on the later generation but it is really is simple. Try marinating your steak in a soy sauce / mustard (and Sriracha if te gusta) marinade. Perhaps you just haven't seasoned it properly.

>53 minutes @ 130° sous vide
Not only did you fall for a meme, but you're also spending over 3 times the time and effort of regular steak cooking

Well done m8, well done

>go find grill
>clean up animal droppings
>discover you're out of propane/charcoal/wood
>drive to the store
>light up grill, arranging heat in complex 3D cydic shape that the Internet swears by
>season steak
>put on the grill
>awkwardly wait to turn steak while your best friend is inside hitting on your wife
>cook steak too long
>medium well
>$10 and hours of your life down the drain

you sound weak and pathetic

Dude that's something you do on the weekend. You can Sous Vide after work while playing some video games. Here was Wednesday for me:

>Got home from work
>Started Sous Vide
>Put steak in the water with Butter and Salt
>Took dog for a walk
>Came back and watched TV
>Ate a delicious steak that took no effort but some waiting

Would it have even been better Smoked, of course but then turns it into a several hour affair.

>home cook
>sous vise
>adding fat to cook steak
>going out of your way to unevenly cook a steak with a torch while its already on heat
>being this much of a try hard faggot

It's too hard to sear the sides if you use a pan alone. The whole point of sous vide is that you want a quick sear, so that the outside is crispy, but the inside is completely tender.

You probably have never properly preheated a pan if you think that. I bet you even flick water into it to make sure it's hot.

If you don't use a torch, you literally have to tip the steak on its sides so they come in contact with the pan.

Remember, with sous vide you're not cooking it on the pan; you're SEARING it.

how fat are you

that is the dumbest fucking thing i've ever read

I'm going to assume he's from some weird country and take it easy on him.

And yes, of course user. It's means it's approximately eight ounces high.

>53 minutes to cook a steak
>5
>3
>minutes

>FIFTY
>THREE
>MINUTES

>after all that time wasted, he cuts into his steak too soon anyways and it leaks all over his plate

LOL

You've lost the plot kid

Who is this semen demon?

It could be even thicker though.

I can cook a good steak on the stove in fucking five minutes. A grill is easy as fuck too if I wanna go that route. Also, why the fuck would you smoke a steak?

I sear a steak all the time on a skillet. Why the fuck are you so dumb that you can't use a pan?

You can absolutely make a great steak in 5 minutes. But to make a perfect steak, you sous vide or freeze fry.

Who the fuck cares? You aren't a French chef who takes it up the butt (ok maybe you are that last part). I bet you're one of those asshats that hand brushes all his mushrooms with a special mushroom brush aren't you?

I dunno, 8oz gets me pretty high

Stfu, I don't hand brush shit. I ass brush it, your sphincter can provide much more control and a stronger grip than any hand when brushing mushrooms.

Yeah I bet you do alot of ass brushing after your boyfriend shits all over the mushrooms. Better get it all off or you'll probably get pinworms.

My bf would never shit on a mushroom, the feces must be body temperature to perfectly coat. He inserts each mushrooms into his pleasure cavern individually. Stop talking about food if you don't even know this basic information.

Why are you perfectly coating the mushrooms if you're just gonna ass-brush it off before cooking?

You probably aren't searing the sides properly. Enjoy your foodborne illnesses.

You need perfect doo doo butter absorption.

damn, i was with you until you made this shitty post

That is way too overdone for me. Looks almost medium well.

Sous vide coloring isn't the same as grill coloring.

Medium rare and rare both look pinker.

DUDE

Damn u buy all that shit for a steak but u can't buy better plates?

Who is this cum conundrum?

Who is this sperm worm??

Who is this seminal sentinel?!

I gotta know, who is this stiffy stimulator?

Where'd you find this wiener cleaner?