JAPANESE CURRY

Just had my first attempt at making a Japanese curry with, beef, onions, potatoes, and carrots.
It was a failure.
>overcooked the potatoes, onions, and carrots
>burned some food at the bottom of the pot
>the curry sauce had bad texture (I believe it was the potatoes overcooking that caused this)
>the curry sauce was too thin, which caused me to let the meal cook way over recommendation time just trying to get the sauce thicker.
>The recipes I followed were for massive servings, I just tried to guess how much water and curry mix to add.

Japanese curry is one of my favorite dishes and I know it will be easy to prepare once I get the hang of it.

Any tips on how to perfect this dish?

Other urls found in this thread:

japanesecooking101.com/curry-and-rice-recipe/
en.rocketnews24.com/2013/04/26/take-it-from-a-native-recipe-for-delicious-japanese-curry-as-found-at-coco-ichiban/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Do it again and pay more attention, reduce times, watch it better.

Stop being a weeb

follow the box u weeb and add a fuck ton of butter
AND OIL

>weeb
I live in a studio apartment, lack an oven (technically I have one but it's inside my microwave and weird as fuck to operate), and only use burners to cook.

I'm very good at making fried rice, it's my expertise, I'm looking for easy and tasty meals to start developing my skills with.

I think curry is a logical option. Japanese curry is something i like, and it's the simplest form of curry so I thought I might as well figure out how to do it.

Curry really isn't hard, dude. Especially japanese curry.

>brown beef, remove, add onions, deglaze pan with sake, add oil
>cook onions until soft and brown, add garlic if desired at the end and sautee for a minute
>add stock/water
>add potatoes and carrots, bring to a boil, then reduce to medium, add beef
>dissolve curry blocks in a ladle/strainer, stir

May not be exactly right but you get the premise. The only stuff that should be "overcooked" are your onions. You don't want any pungency, just the sweetness. I like to add all sorts of shit to my curries. Last time I added turnips, mushrooms, and bell pepper.

Also never turn the pot on high when the meat is in there or else you will wind up with small chunks of tough beef that wouldn't even be suitable for dog food. It's a good rule of thumb with any meat dish, never ever boil meat. Medium is a safe bet for cooking it in a liquid, however.

Don't follow the box recipe. It gives you the worst tasting curry.

Heavily spice and brown your meats first and separately, if using chicken soak in curry yogurt over night. Also heavily spice and fry any of the vegetables that would benefit from a little color, things like bell peppers and onions, but don't let them go too long or they become way too soft in the curry.

Replace the water with stock.

The curry blocks are a base and should have more spices and things like a bay leaf added to it

I always cut up and add a single apple to mine around the last 10-15 minutes or so of cooking. I usually get the very spicy kind so the apple makes the dish more interesting because I never know whether each bite will be spicy or sweet since theres only one single apple in it.

If your curry is too liquid, taste it. If it is still bland, add more curry mix. If it is flavorful enough add corn starch.

If your curry is too thin, you can either reduce it over low heat, or you can add more of the roux blocks.

i just wanna say that i really like japanese curry

i normally get it as chicken katsu or beef in a rice bowl with potato and carrot and sometimes i get it with beef and udon noodles and i really like it

i could cook it though seriously and im not even a great cook or anything

YGSIU (you gotta step it up)

smdh (shaking my damn head)

>follow the box
>dont follow the box

How am I supposed to know how long to cook it if I don't follow a specific instruction.

japanesecooking101.com/curry-and-rice-recipe/

Just follow this recipe as a guide until you get the hang of it.

>japanesecooking101.com/curry-and-rice-recipe/
that's one I followed.

I didn't have as much ingredients. and the cook time for the curry seem way too long, also 1 box of curry roux seemed like a lot. I added half a box of curry roux, and 3 cups instead of 3 1/2 cups. I also only had 1 onion, 3 potatoes, and 1 and a half carrots.

I think I screwed up on the roux, by adding half a box which lead me to overcook the curry because I wanted the sauce to be thicker by reducing it.

Maybe I should of done everything by the recipe.

I feel you, when I follow recipes sometimes I feel like adding tweaks to it myself. Typically, it's best to just follow 100%. The entire box of curry roux is just what you needed to thicken it up. Trying to further reduce it would just result in massively overcooked vegetables and proteins, as it did.

As long as your first try was edible you're not a lost cause, user. Trial and error!

it was edible, massive disappointment though.
I guess I'll have to follow it exactly next time.

Also the roux wasn't spicy enough.

>I added half a box of curry roux, and 3 cups instead of 3 1/2 cups
If you're going to cut the curry amount in half you should cut the water amount in half too. I messed up and added too much water the first time I made japanese curry too though. Mainly because I followed the instructions I read online too much.

Next time you make it just add the curry roux and then add the water a little at a time to see how much it needs and then you can add more if it's still too thick. It doesn't really matter what vegetables or how many you add to it either. It obviously can make it better but it's not something to stress about since japanese curry is pretty much all about the curry mix.

>Also the roux wasn't spicy enough.
Japanese curry is more sweet than spicy usually. You should try and find a hotter mix or just add cayenne/chili flakes to it.

Perfect all the aspects you fucked up the first time. You are your own teacher. Good job user, post a pic of the final product.

What brand is the best?

This, although I'd add the carrots a few minutes before the potatoes since they take longer to soften. Also I just make my own roux instead of using curry blocks. It's not fucking hard, just make a brown roux, add garam masala, ketchup, chili peppers, worcestershire or whatever other Japanese sauces or spices you want, and add it to your curry when the potatoes are not quite done. Grate a little apple or throw some honey in.

Also I like to caramelize some onions to start, and then add some thickly-chopped onions later on so there's plenty of sweet, brown onion goodness and also some identifiable onion in the end product.

so would you guys recommend switching out the water for stock or bouillon? i am very tempted to make some beef curry tonight. i've realized i don't really cook with beef very often and i think it'd be great in curry

what the fuck you all suck.
en.rocketnews24.com/2013/04/26/take-it-from-a-native-recipe-for-delicious-japanese-curry-as-found-at-coco-ichiban/

Yes

>switching out the water for stock or bouillon? i

Yes. Always. There are very very few cooking situations when you want to cook something in plain water.

Shut up, weeb

>tried to make Japanese style curry
>make thick beef stew instead

Do they use stew beef in their curry?

HOW DO I MAKE ANIMU CURRY?
THIS IS IMPORTANT

not a weeb

I prefer Golden Curry, but that's also the only brand that I can find in my area.

Kill yourself you weebs

So, everyone, what's the over/under on this guy owning several anime girl body pillows, at least a dozen Japanese sex toys, and a mountain of imported nip candies and junk food?

>implying you have all the species needed
stew with rice/10

>Not a single body pillow
>not a single sex toy
>no nip candies
>only junk food I have is cheez-its
I don't like it because it's Japanese. I like it because Japanese Curry is good.

Kill yourself weeb

or learn 2 make thai curry

i don't enjoy it as much, and it is harder to make.
Why wouldn't I learn Japanese Curry first?

I'd prefer to make Pad krapow, or Pad See Ew before I made Thai Curry.

tfw no tsukemono

I was referring to the guy who's blatantly a closet weeb.

You, that is. Also, I know how to make Thai curry. It's nothing special. Quit slobbering all over Rama IX's dick, SEAboo. Fucking whitest post ever. Next you'll be bitching about how you can't find "authentic" Vietnamese banh mi anywhere in California. Fucking tryhard.

You seem to be lost, this is an anime website buddy.

This isn't even cooking how do you fuck this up

That's not rangiri you faggot,go make it again