Steak

How do you guys prep it? Do you guys source it too?

>pic related
>local beef (Central Valley, California)
>temping for 30 min to an hour
>salt and pepper
>sear in skillet 2-3 minutes per side.
>finish with butter, thyme, garlic

And yes they're for a lot of people.

>inb4 obese

Other urls found in this thread:

yaharibento.wordpress.com/2016/04/27/inspiring-dishes-shokugeki-no-soma-catch-your-eye-set-1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I eat it how it is in the OP.

I make bordelaise most times. It's one of the best sauces for steak. Well besides bearnaise but I never feel like making that. And the rich purple sauce goes well with roasted veggies or braised greens

Do you Make a roux as a base for your bourdelaise? I always see people divided between when and when not to use a roux

I make roux as a base for everything. Even my Alfredo sauce uses roux. I've seen some division over that, but never something like bordelaise. It should be made from Demi glace which is based off of espagnole which uses roux

> Score meat on both sides
> Make rub from brown sugar, cayenne, kosher salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder
> Keep in fridge for 30 minutes- 2 hrs
> Sear in skillet at 550-650 degrees in canola oil, 3 minutes each side.
> Finish in oven at 200 degrees with thermometer timer.

Finished product

Also used the juices and cooked it down with a bit of black pepper, and thyme.

Paired it with this:

Duckhorn Monitor Ledge Vineyard 2012 Vintage Cabernet Sauvignon. Aroma of: Oak, Dried Fig, Truffle. Tasting Notes: Pomegrante, Currant, Blackberry, with a long and savory finish

Looks pretty good

marinated for a few hours in Dale sauce
then grilled until medium

Jesus. got it down to a science there don't ya, friendo

Where in the Valley? I'm 30 min North of fresno.

little underdone for me but if it was a good cut I'm sure it would be tasty.

Pretty similar to you. When it comes to red meat I prefer it to be as barebones as possible.

I've spent days researching it, my steaks are bomb as fuck.

Visalia bb

>buy pineapple
>cut up
>put a few chunks in cheesecloth and squeeze juice out into plastic bag
>add olive oil, salt, pepper
>shake
>put steak into bag
>let sit 20-30 mins
>cook

p. good

Looks damn good desu

cooked perfect but cutting it up like that before serving fucks it up, seriously serve it whole with a steak knife

It took four replies before someone finally said this. Sure is summer in here.

Cutting a steak is what adults do for very young children.

Just pathetic.

I had a lot of people to serve and had only 5 steaks (14.99 a lb)

How do people cut their steaks? I see a lot of foodies and chefs cut their steaks like this, probably because it makes it easier to chew or whatever, but I always found cutting it into bite sized chunks to be more satisfying.

shout out to my niggas growing oranges

may kek protect you from the asian scale psyllid

Vietfag here. People in gooktown weren't traditionally given a slab of meat, so all beef is usually cut up to be shared and give the feel that it's a lot. Here's a Bo Luc Lac I made, aka shaky beef. Just marinated with salt, pepper, oil, and garlic powder. Sauce is made using rice vinegar, cooking wine, fish and soy sauce, and sugar. Served over a watercress and red leaf salad which has a light dressing made of fish sauce, sugar, water, and vinegar. Not too shabby desu

>asian
>sugar and soy sauce on fucking everything

In our foods, it's pretty much the equivalent of butter and cream to the French

Is there a babys first steak guide? I have a gas stove and some pans/skillets.

Cutting it like that literally does nothing different to the meat than cutting it any other way.

> Sear in skillet at 550-650 degrees in canola oil, 3 minutes each side.

You enjoy eating shoe leather too?

Looks good, but if your going to cut it up do something else with it. Stir some veggies and throw it in, make some rice and throw it in, make fajitas or tacos or a burrito. If still on the bone or whole bake a potato and/or grill some asparagus.

it increases the surface area, making it get cold faster and lets out the, juices drying it out
if you cut it right before you eat it it lets it retain its heat and juices and makes ot actually taste good

> temping
WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION?

en biais

Only use aged meat for a steak dinner

Salt and pepper on both sides

Slap it in a pan for 1-2 minutes each side

Perfect

Strips can be a good idea depending on what you're doing with it.

If you're serving your steak Asian-style, you're obviously going to slice it into strips.

If you're putting it into a tortilla with some cheese, again, you want strips.

This is a thread about steak, not tacos, not stir-fry. It is without question a bitch-made move to eat your steak already cut up.

>doesnt like cold steak

>not buying superior Harris beef

wait, what did you do of those strips?
that kinda looks like the meat for a japanese dish.

why kosher salt though?
also why onion and garlic powders instead of just really well minced garlic&onion?
why specifically canola oil?

I can get that anytime, especially at B and L butchers or Glick's. I just happened to meet a farmer at the gym who had slaughtered a work cow that they fattened up for a couple of years.

Tasted amazing

Not the dude you're asking but it's not a rub if it has minced onion and garlic in it. I bet kosher salt for the consistency and canola oil for the flavor (or lack of)

Pretty much like this.
I let the steak get to room temp.
The only other thing I put on it sometimes is Worcestershire source before I cook it.

Anyone who likes it >medium needs to reevaluate their life.

does salting and letting set (drying it out) give it a crust?

>American "steak"

I'm the guy and this guy gets it... Canola oil for the lack of flavor and high smoking point, i'm interested in clarified butter and avocado oil as well because of the high smoking point but haven't had the chance to test it. Plus everyone has canola oil around.

If you use minced onion and garlic, they will burn and you will have burned chunks on your steak, which is no bueno..

>kosher salt
and for the reason that there is kosher salt, it's just a thick salt, it's hard to get a meat salty enough, but the thick grains of salt gives it a nice salty flavor right when you bite into it, you should also make sure your pepper mill isn't tight so that you can get big chunks of pepper on the steak. The salt and pepper won't burn like big chunks of onion or garlic.

Shoe leather? The outside should have a crisp crust and the inside should be tender. The contrast in textures is what makes a steak great. If 3 minutes per side creates a well-done steak, you are buying thin, bitch meat. In a 1 inch steak, 3 minutes per side is rare at that temp.

I eat mine well done, not even joking. That's just how I've always had it.

I used to be like you and many people i've known were like you. But once you get used to it, you won't go back to a well done steak.

>season steak to taste
>heat pan to taste
>cook steak to taste

Cooked to perfection, but why cut it up?
Serve whole with horseradish for dipping and a side of steamed asparagus drizzled with garlic butter, and you just BTFO earth

Is that sushi?

>local butcher
>flank, bavette, strip loin whatever.
>temper to room temp
>cast iron heated with little oil
>pat steak dry
>lightly oil steak
>salt right before dropping in pan as salt with draw out moisture for an inefficient sear
>pan nearly smoking
>sear both sides hard
>oven to finish
>rest
>slice
OPTIONAL
While searing I sometimes like to throw in knobs of butter, and spoon baste, this lets you cook from the top and bottom so that the oven step isn't necessary.

You're objectively dumb.

i do like cold steak but lukewarm steak is inferior to hot steak

Guys how do I stop my oil from popping? It hurts my skin and cleanup is a bitch

>Kosher
Found the jew.

>kosher salt is Jewish
retard.

Three minutes at those temps are probably burning everything but the salt

Anyone reverse sear it? Or is that just a meme?

>meme
get a dictionary, newfag.

Hey how do i make the best steak? I am living with my gf and she told me my steak is shit help me lol

I don't own a dictionary

Why are Americans so fucking ignorant?

Instead of buying 2 $12 steaks, buy 1 $25 steak, then make her cunt ass watch as you eat it.

Clearly.

>coat lightly in olive oil
>throw on garlic salt
>Sear it until rare in my poverty george foreman
>eat it with garlic butter

Suck my ass.

Build wall

You should sear your face in that grill

I salt it a day or two before. To clean the meat and let all the nasty stuff get wiped out. Then I just do a regular oregano garlic paste or a onion garlic and cumin paste and slather it on.

You should eat my ass with a spoon.

I actually always precut my steak. Not when I'm cooking for myself, obviously, but when I'm making dinner for me and my girlfriend, instead of cooking two separate steaks I'll buy one big steak. Once I cook it I let it rest for about 30 minutes while I prep the sauce and sides and stuff, then I'll carve it into portions. I really love eating steak this way, actually.

Absolutely, I do this for a minimum of 30 minutes at room temp on some paper towels which I change regularly, as well as flipping the steak over. I highly reccomend it.

I see all of you luv steak dish but how about try something different, steak with rice. I will suggest two dishes.

- This dish uses high quality meat and suitable heat, pastes on hot garlic rice.

- This dish was cook so steak is so soft you can cut it so easily, and one bowl of hot plume rice.

And other dishes that might catch people's eye.

yaharibento.wordpress.com/2016/04/27/inspiring-dishes-shokugeki-no-soma-catch-your-eye-set-1/

- Which dishes that will CATCH your eyes?

- Or do you have other inspiring dishes in your mind?

Warning: please don't proceed this in nighttime, or else you will be hungry.

>get the steak room temp
>pack both sides densely with salt
>let sit 30min per 1/2" of thickness
>wash the steak
>pat it dry
>charcoal grill, cook about 6-8min each side, only flipping a few times
>let sit 5-10min 9nce taken off
>serve

Just s&p
I'll use more or less butter depending on how good the steak is

>salt it
>then wash the fucking salt off

why? I'll bet you even salt it again after it's done.

>salt generously both sides
>on drying rack in a CLEAN fridge, if your fridge is funky the steak'll pick up that funk
>12-24 hours
>crack black pepper over both sides
>put in oven on rack above a shallow pan to pick up drippings
>medium for ribeyes to make sure all that delicious marbling is cooked and melty, medium rare for strip
>sear
>rest
>maybe make a pan sauce, usually not
>enjoy standing up in my kitchen, eating with just a knife and my hands. Pants optional

wa la

Because the salt pulls moisture out from the outermost layer of the meat. That, in turn, helps get a better sear when you go to cook the steak.

Need help, didn't read.

>be me
> live with in-laws
>"steak for dinner! Can you cook?"
> "fuck yeah! I'm good as hell at steak"
> look for steak in fridge, can't find it
> start sweating as I open the freezer
> USDA Choice New York Steaks frozen fucking solid

What do?

I believe it's considered best practice to let the meat come close to room temp before cooking it?

Frozen is pretty far from that. It also helps to marinate the meat beforehand too? Hard to get any marinade to soak through the meat when it's frozen.

That said, if it's all you got and everyone's hungry, I'll warn them the steaks are gonna be tough and you'll need to get the ketchup out.

See that pic you posted, OP? Already too done.
>Veeky Forums

can you show us yokels a real steak then, pardner?

Absolutely WRONGGGGGGGGGGGG.

Salt is for taste and taste only.

You should either salt directly before cooking your steak, or >1 hour before so that the water has enough time to absorb back into the steak after osmosis forces it out.

If you salt it and let it sit for a few minutes, it'll dehydrate your steak and immediately evaporate when you put it on the grill.

How clueless can a 'cooking' board be about cooking?

>salt will evaporate
jelly of your grill, just what is it powered by anyway? a megawatt-class laser?

>implying I meant that the salt will evaporate, and not liquid from the steak
>implying you even know what a 'megawatt class laser' even is

I actually work with lasers that put out far more than megawatts of peak power that can actually vaporize solid salts, bet you weren't expect that, were you?

You shouldn't be cooking steak

>Heavily salt and pepper each side
>Put in ziplock bag
>Put 2 TB of Butter, 1 TB of minced garlic in bag
>Sous vide at 128 for 1 hour
>Pan sear in cast iron w/ peanut oil on highest possible setting for 1 minute per side

>Absolutely WRONGGGGGGGGGGGG.

Does osmosis not exist in your magical dreamworld or are you too ignorant to know how it works?

>>it'll dehydrate your steak
Not the whole steak, but the outer layer. And that's the point. We WANT the outside layer to contain less moisture therefore it gets a stronger malliard reaction.

Take cold steak
Heavily salt and pepper steak
Sear in hot cast iron pan for a couple minutes
Pack in vacuum bag with thyme
Cook sous vide at 129F for 1hr
Take out, dry steak, discard thyme leaf
Sear in cast iron pan
Finish with browned butter and thyme

Or sometimes I'll cook sous vide with a coffee butter, deep fry to sear it, then heavily salt it and coat it in more coffee butter.

>let meat sit outside till reaches room temperature (an hour or so)
>rub it with canola oil, sprinkle with garlic salt and ground black pepper on all sides
>a little oil in cast iron skillet on med-med-high, let pan get smoking hot
>throw steak on there
>2 min per side
>from there on flip once per minute till desired doneness (usually a little undercooked in anticipation of later step)
>when about a minute away, throw a few pats of butter into skillet and baste steak
>put steak pan-side up on plate, pour remaining juices/butter over it
>cover with foil for 5 min
>wa la

Seared AND reverse seared? That's a bold move. Post pics.

>Let reach room temp
>Broil for 4 minutes on each side
>Rest 10 minutes

10/10 steak every time

frozen still works,
sear hot and just finish low and slow in the oven.

I betcha two buck chuck is better.

>All these people salting there steak long before cooking

I do very similar but i always use meat from a local butcher cut thick, 1.5-2 inches. with that i need to finish in the oven after searing, for about 5 minutes to get a medium rare temp. I usually let rest for 5 minutes with compound butter on top.

Alternatively, i do charcoal grilled super hot, blast it 4 mins per side

If you watch it carefully, you can defrost in the microwave on medium low setting. It wont damage your steak unless you let it actually cook in the microwave.