Never had real stroganoff before - only instant hamburger helper kind

>never had real stroganoff before - only instant hamburger helper kind

>decide to make the real thing from scratch with fresh mushrooms and white wine, real beef stock, real sour cream etc

spend a good hour making a gigantic pot

>take first bite

>it tastes exactly then fucking same as the instant box crap

fucking kill me now

Other urls found in this thread:

chowhound.com/recipes/one-pot-beef-stroganoff-with-egg-noodles-30939
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>he fell for the homemade is always better than boxed meme

It might taste similar, but at least the taste of yours is being produced by actual ingredients, not some powder. Stop bitching and eat your stroganoff.

yours was probably healthier tho'

ahahaha!

HE FELL FOR IT
LOOL

Top bloody kek senpai.

The best stroganoff is the Velveeta brand and add bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, and Zatarains.

I made some of this for dinner tonight, I enjoy it more then boxed, but Its beacuse I prefer the fresh noodle texture.

You forget THE secret ingredient

>HINT: It's not called stroganoff for no reason

In what universe does 'real' Stroganov take an hour to make? It's just floured bits of paprika-dusted beef stir-fried in butter with onions (and mushrooms, if you like) then deglazed with wine, dressed with mustard (or tomato paste) and finished with a dab of cultured dairy (such as strained soured cream, crème fraîche/panna da cucina or yogurt). It takes less than a fifth the time you suggest to whip it up.
You've clearly never even made it. Why do you lie to us?

Prepping onion and garlic 7min
Browning mushrooms and setting aside 4 min

Cooking onions and butter 4 min

Cooking beef 8min

Deglazing and reducing wine 7 min

Adding broth and bringing to simmer 3 min

Cooking pasta in broth 7min

What do you call a masturbating bull?

I don't know, what?

Beef Stroganoff!

>spend a good hour making a gigantic pot
Hrm. Wouldn't the chunks of chuck or stew meat need longer to tenderize?

I think you made hamburger helper style just with real mushrooms and nothing more. Post your recipe? Besides amazing al dente floppy large egg noodles sprinked with dill or parsley and butter, the tang of fresh sour cream added at the end of the stroganoff stew should be a pretty pronounceable tangy difference. I think you can fusion stroganoff towards paprikash heaviness with paprika or towards swedish meatball in spicing your meat with allspice, cloves and such. Also, mushrooms need maillard reaction browning for rich flavors!

stroganoff is a pretty basic flavor profile, that's why. same with brown gravy, chicken gravy, etc- the powdered versions are pretty close to homemade because its dead simple and hard to fuck up,

compare with a fresh vs paste curry for example.

the real benefit to doing it yourself is you can tweak the recipe at different stages to make changes. try it with beer instead of wine, add chickpeas or broccoli with the mushrooms, stuff like that

Thanks OP, I'd heard of this dish but never knew what it was until I googled it just now because of your thread. I'm making it tomorrow.

>Real beef stock
Ask me how I know it wasn't

chowhound.com/recipes/one-pot-beef-stroganoff-with-egg-noodles-30939

>Try with beet instead of wine
I already substituted dry vermouth because that's what I have and I don't drink wine

>literally doubling the cook time in order to inflate how long it takes
Kekkledoodledoo, user.
It takes 20 minutes to cobble it together. And you don't cook the "noodles" in the sauté: you boil the noodles in a separate pot as you're cooking everything then add them to the sauté pan to finish, thus making that seven minute cook time for the noodles entirely irrelevant.

Now lemme tell ya something else, friend: I've got a pretty bad case of a certain health condition and, as a result, I'm shakier than a Jenga tower during a game between Michael J Fox, Katherine Hepburn and Muhammad Ali after an all night espresso bender, yet I can prep onions for stroganov in about three minutes so there's no fucking way an able-bodied person is taking seven minutes to do it. None.

Well I cooked the pasta in the broth so it took another 7 minutes and I'm shitty at chopping onions.

I said it took me an hour and it did. What the fuck is your problem?

>Now lemme tell ya something else, friend: I've got a pretty bad case of a certain health condition and, as a result, I'm shakier than a Jenga tower during a game between Michael J Fox, Katherine Hepburn and Muhammad Ali after an all night espresso bender,
Very eloquently paints a picture. Sorry user about your condition, but 10/10 for eloquence.

>missing the point worse than shaq with a freethrow

Hey fuckface: if you're boiling the noodles in broth, you've got a second pot or pan besides the one you're sautéing your shit in IE those seven minutes of cook time for the noodles don't count because they're cooking at the same time as you're sautéing everything. Unless you're admitting that you're a retard who is incapable of paying attention to more than one thing at once.
Even if you're shit at chopping onions, those seven minutes for noodle-cooking get cut out because it's done simultaneously as the sauté. That brings down your number to a mere 33 minutes, just about half of that hour you originally claimed. I want to know what base system you're using where 33 (or even 40, if you've the time-management skills of a thirteen-year-old retard with ADHD and you're cooking your noodles after you've done your sauté rather than during) is equal to a base-ten 60.

>>it tastes exactly then fucking same as the instant box crap
Dude no it doesn't, come on now.

>he fell for the one pot meme

I literally made stroganoff with fucking water instead of beef stock and I even improperly cooked the beef so it was tough and It still ended up being better than the boxed shit, at least now I feel a little better about my cooking skills

Not because I sauteed first in vermouth, until it reduced completely then added stock and didn't add noodles till the stock came to a simmer. Then cooked the noodles in the pot for 7 minutes.

I'm 30 not 13 and I literally DO have ADHD. I take methylphenidate for it every day, so fuck you.

This means you're inexperienced and very possibly shit at cooking thus rendering your opinion on homemade stroganoff irrelevant.

Kill yourself familia.

What the FUCK is a hamburger helper LMAO.

>Americans are so fat and stupid they need help for eating hamburgers.

At least Google what it is before you make yourself sound stupid.

Baited hard son

:>D

40 minutes cook and prep time can easily turn into 60 min when you factor in all the little fiddly crap.

Pulling stuff out of cupboards, measuring crap, opening jars or pickles.

Unless you're prepping every ingredient ahead of time and measuring it out into a little bowl, ready to go in the pot... then you're spending time doing that crap.

And even if you *do* do all that stuff up front, the extra time is seldom factored into the 'time required' estimate in a recipe.

Is an extra 20 min a lot? Sure, but not unheard of for a novice cook.

>if you're boiling the noodles in broth, you've got a second pot or pan besides the one you're sautéing your shit in

You're asumming he had a separate pot of broth. Maybe he had cold leftover stock from the fridge that went into same pot.

>7693833
Nobody likes you, not even mum.

If it tasted the same, then you REALLY fucked up. Home made stroganoff should taste nothing like the Hamburger Helper kind. I like HH once in a while myself, but real stroganoff is several echelons above.

I'm assuming he's a person of at least average intellect and ability. Clearly, both assumptions generously overestimated him.

>opening cupboards and packages takes 20 minutes
Again, I shake more than a pair of twerking asscheeks and it certainly wouldn't take me anywhere near 20 minutes to open bottles, cartons/cans and pots/cups/tubs of
>white wine, real beef stock, real sour cream

It takes more than an hour just to make stock, even if you're using a pressure cooker which I guarantee you don't own

>making real beef stock

That stuff is shite. Like most store-bought "stock" it lacks the gelatin found in the proper stuff. Expensive too.

>I'm assuming he's a person of at least average intellect and ability.
So you're coming into a thread where a novice cook makes a simple dish and is disappointed in the results, and your first instinct is to sperg out at him and throw insults because he's an novice?

Better not cook anything then. Might trigger the great chef wizard of the internet.

Well.. it does say 'real stock' on the package. It's probably what OP used.

>Original post literally reads 'real beef stock'

>It's probably what OP used.

I doubt it. When people say "real beef stock" they mean they made it at home, not some kind of brand name.

>this beef stroganoff recipe literally calls for ground beef

NO WONDER IT TASTES LIKE HAMBURGER HELPER

stroganoff is NOT made with ground meat, you retard

I bet you like fresh noodle texture.

>ADHD
>Parkinson's

>Multiple anons on Veeky Forums have debilitating neurological disorders.

Is cooking a common hobby for disable people?

>>this beef stroganoff recipe literally calls for ground beef
I suspected this all along.
Oh well, OP, lesson learned.

Well at least there's no powdered crap in it.

A 'healthier' version I guess?

>gets caught in his bullshit
>samefags to his own defense
Will you never learn, OP? You said it took an hour, then explained it really only took you forty minutes, then had it pointed out that a disabled guy can make it in half that time, which puts your whole thread premise into suspicion (if saying that homemade anything tastes at all like the instant/boxed version wasn't an immediate tip off). I call shenanigans.
Ya obviously never cooked any sort of stroganov, real or otherwise so why lie to strangers on the internet to say that you have? Is your life that devoid of things to do that this is your only entertainment?

If I am same-fagging the OP, then mods please publicly ban me right now.

I ain't OP, I'm just an user that thinks your superior attitude is founded on bullshit.

And if you think cook time + prep time = total time you're crazy. You know damn well we spend more time in the kitchen than that.

Fuck man. Just washing dishes as you use them takes time. Stuffing rinds in the garburator takes time. Plating takes times. Setting a table takes time. Reading a recipe off a tablet takes time.

If you reach any further, you could tickle Mao Ze Dong's ass.

That's a good lookin za

No matter how I make it it's grey... Food shouldn't be grey.

I have cyclothymia and have been thinking about learning to cook more seriously, so maybe.

I love it when people finally figure out that many of the canned and boxed versions of food actually taste exactly like the dish they are supposed to be.

Chef Boyardee tastes the way it does because the people that made Chef Boyardee took several trips to the country sides of Italy and brought back italian cooks and had them help them make a canned spaghetti dish that tasted the exact same as true italian dishes.

do you want some carbs with your carbs?

i never understood the pasta on pizza meme

That is because you used beef you dumb faggot
You are supposed to use venison or other game meat you have and it is tasty as fuck

>cooking pasta
>Ever having stroganoff with fucking pasta

Ok, this is bait. 9/10. You really had me going until you posted this

>Prepping onion and garlic 7min

Fucking hell how slow do you chop

Notice how he also said "real sour cream". I guarantee it was pre-made stuff from the grocery store.

>white wine
You know it;s traditionally Brandy, make a big difference in taste, also try smoked garlic and avoid beef stock. then it wont taste like powdered crap.

Look shake and bake why dont you shut the fuck up.

>shake and bake