Why do americans like mac and cheese so much? It tastes like canteen food

Why do americans like mac and cheese so much? It tastes like canteen food

Other urls found in this thread:

foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I made mac and cheese for my spanish friends and they liked it so much they made me cook it for them again. It was the first time I had ever made it and I thought it was ok but nothing to write home about.

I would make it with alfredo sauce sometimes, slice some ham into it, corn, scalups and pepper. Comes out pretty rad.

because it is delicious!
had it last Friday night with food cod from the local Coney Island
so cheesy!

inb4: mfw if somebody says "comfort food"

Pure fat and carbs. the ultimate combination.

Compared to American canteen food its a delicacy.

Blue box can eat a dick.

If you make it properly, that is with actual cheese and some additional flavorings, it's really good

but blue box isn't very good, it's just easy

lol what the fuck

>Why do americans like mac and cheese so much? It tastes like canteen food

You have just answered your own question OP.

>It tastes like canteen food

>mfw

Oh my god, we had the exact same over cooked cheese stick things in our high school. I can't believe this is a nationwide thing.

Yep, have it in florida too and that is the meal everyone was excited for.

Is the concept of comfort food not a thing in yurop?

Yeah but when they make comfort food they bang out a cassoulet or a billion different sausages

Then there are brits who melt cheese onto toast

do americans really carry mac and cheese around in these?

Yes and thermos full of gravy.

>Why do americans like mac and cheese so much? It tastes like canteen food
There's a weird plasticky slimeyness from some boxed brands with velveeta-ish cheese sauce packets. It can also be the same soft texture issue when made stovetop.

But a mac n cheese made in a casserole with crusty tops and edges and al dente noodles and really luscious deeply flavorful cheeses can be a marriage of divine porportions, salty, aged and funky, cheese, soft and crispy, and with anything else added, a nice meal too, from lobster to butternut squash, to slices of roasted tomato to hunks of homecooked salty ham.

Why do people like it so much from the box? Fond memories of childhood and some family gatherings. Some people have this as a pantry staple in places like the Caribbean or out in the country, and it became part of weekly dinners, or maybe even brought out as the de facto holiday side dish with the expensive cheese on top. As a child, during the "government cheese" era in school cafeterias (canteens to you guys), the lunch ladies went to town with about an inch of that processed cheese food on top, or sliced thickly in oven-grilled cheese. I can't stand fake cheese myself, but for the kiddos of all nationalities at my school? They liked it. Of course my lunch ladies were black and Southern and added ham hocks to the green beans and butter to the corn kernels (which all kids ate) and made homemade cornbread and rolls daily, but that was just my luck to grow up with people who could cook with whatever crap was given to them in a budget. Our popsicles were frozen orange juice squeezed up, or frozen bananas dipped in chocolate, not the food color crap/fructose corn syrup. My high school had a Ruby Tuesdays restaurant style salad bar with homemade pitas or stir fry bar manned by caring parents who volunteered. Kids today are eating warmed over frozen foods prepared elsewhere in schools.

>he doesn't carry canteens full of Mac n' Cheese, a thermos of gravy and a camelback full of bacon grease

>macaroni
>noodle

I've always hated this shit. I cringe whenever I see it or macaroni """salad""" at a Holiday dinner.
Got nothing against macaroni, it's just always the pasta shape of plebs. It really shines in goulash though.

noodle is synonymous with pasta over here

Really?

European law in several countries now requires someone to say how delicious donner kebab is and how it is greater than any indiginous foods.

I am white and I have sinned *whips self* I am white and I have sinned *whips self* Oh please destroy my culture *whips self* We must be eliminated so that the peaceful noble dark skinned races can flourish and regain their magic powers *whips self* *takes poison*
Kebab is delicious.... *final words before dying in a pool of urine and kebab wrappers*

yeah. my dad's favorite food is "buttered noodles" It's a short wide slightly twisted egg pasta covered in, you guessed it, butter

Although I bet the younger more cosmopolitan crowd probably uses "noodle" to refer more to asian pastas like ramen and udon

>tfw the flying spaghetti monster touches you with his noodly appendage

Europeans are weird

>canteen food
Americans don't know that "canteen" is the rest of the world's word for "cafeteria".

Last time I was in Europe I had a kebab in Spain and it was dope. I feel like you ought to try the local food even if it is of foreign origin because that's what actual people eat. Different countries do things differently

I mean if you came to America and only ate burgers and bbq ribs you would be missing out on a lot of Americanized ethnic food, which is what a lot of us eat day to day. If you left without going to a chinese buffet your experience would fall short

I made Mac and cheese for dinner last night. Fuck you.

I smell a /pol/cat, can you?

>his country is so big and influential he doesn't need to learn others' words for things
It somehow feels patriotic being ignorant

Canteen is used by the military and old people in the US

>inb4 butthurt yuros

"canteen" is military

America hasn't been occupied by marauding or conquering amies, so why should we know this?

>Why do americans like mac and cheese so much?

Because they don't realise it's a British dish.

If they did, they would hate it and spam the thread with memes about British food.

Except the British use real cheese and not 'processed cheese product'!

Cuz that shits good and it's a comfort food.

>European law in several countries now requires someone to say how delicious donner kebab is and how it is greater than any indiginous foods.
ROFL.

Turkish run kebab places all over europe (and canada) are the inferior version of delicious greek gyros, but well, it's from climates where sugary condensed dairy which is canned and combined with ketchup keeps better than giving out freshly grated cucumber and garlic filled fresh greek yogurt sauce. If you've never had a rotating spit of pork/beef blended greek gyro meat because arabs on restricted diets feed you inferior crap with inferior toppings, that's too bad for you. But, though I like some dishes out of the region, donner kebap or whatever you like to call it is NOT it. Give me Lebanese or Isreali versions of pita and skewered meats any day. I'll take a falafel or kibbe or lamb beef or chicken schwarma over the dog food texture of overseasoned, overground whatever it is on the donner. It's like the frozen salisbury steak version of filet mignon. You're just too used to it to know the differences.

I'd fuck Caitlyn Jenner's ass puss so hard.

The fuck?

Because it's a common staple over here and many people grew up eating it, thus it has nostalgic value.

Whether it sucks or not is entirely dependent on who is making it. It could be anywhere from prison-tier shit made with fake powdered cheese to fucking amazing made with proper cheese.

Speaking of mac and cheese:
What's a good recipe for it?
I have never tasted it before, and would like to try it out.
Also, do you just eat it by itself?

foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe.html

use more mustard and hot sauce and ur good to go

This

Take some shredded cheese, put it on top with some breadcrumbs, and toss it in the oven for like 10 minutes and it's godlike.

Oh fugg, this looks good. I even got everything except the cheese.

I never really understood their infatuation with it either. I ate it as a kid because I had no palate but I find it insane grown fucking adults enjoy this shit.

mac and cheese is an american thing? its literally pasta and cheese, such a simple combination that you'd think it'd be common wherever pasta is eaten

Don't forget, when a Murrican recipe calls for cheese you need to substitute in a bright orange block of quasi-dairy byproduct.

well assuming you are european you're going to need a cheese with a decently low melting point, probably a combo, because this recipe is designed for american supermarket cheese which is pretty easily melted. Fontina and cheddar together would probably work

Have you ever eaten it? Either you've never eaten it or you make crappy mac and cheese.

>yuro
>not understanding why anyone would like anything with heaping amounts of cheese

british or americuck guilt