Anyone here smoked their own Anchos before...

Anyone here smoked their own Anchos before? Poblanos aren't very common here in Australia and Anchos even less so but I managed to find some Poblanos today.

Do I smoke them and then dry them afterwards? Is drying afterwards even necessary? Any suggestions on what type of smoking wood and duration? This is all new to me but I have a Weber grill and dehydrator.

Other urls found in this thread:

foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/easy-enchilada-sauce-recipe.html
foodnetwork.com/recipes/enchiladas-frescos-recipe.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bamp

Dry then smoke. What wood do you have available for smoking?

Anchos aren't smoked

This. Anchos are simply dried poblanos. Generally speaking they are not smoked.

OP, are you perhaps thinking of chipotles? A chipotle is a smoked jalapeno.

Hickory and mesquite seem to be the most prevalent.

Well I learned something today. I always assumed anchos were smoked like chipotles are to jalapenos. So you guys reckon just dry them?

>tastes like raisins
>not spicy at all

worst pepper ever

I'm sure there are other ways for you to feel the delectable burning in your rectum.

That's not bell pepper .

bell peppers at least are colorful, crunchy and refreshing (still pretty shit tier)

anchos are for when you really want to throw a bunch of raisins in your dish (never).

anchos are extremely useful if you make your own sauces, especially enchilada sauce

foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/easy-enchilada-sauce-recipe.html

i just checked like 5 enchilada sauce recipes and none of them even mentioned anchos

i guess you could throw them in then strain them out at the end? still the flavor is mild and going to be hard to taste over chili, tomato and cumin.

Why are we smoking them again? Can't you get chipotles in the can? They're jalapenos btw, but they are really used for the red sauce they're soaking in, not just the smoke.

I'd char the poblanos, peel after steaming a moment (under foil), deseed, then freeze them for later use.

>i just checked like 5 enchilada sauce recipes and none of them even mentioned anchos
>runs to Emeril Lagasse recipes to find out how to do authentic mexican
*boggle*
Try this one: foodnetwork.com/recipes/enchiladas-frescos-recipe.html

Green chili peppers can get a little weird when you dry them, in my experience.

asado de bodas
mole poblano
ancho relleno
manchamanteles
pipian rojo

Posting from Mexico here, Yes they are ust dried. People toast the dried chiles on a hot griddle or very quickly on hot coals before using for some dishes, but it is not the rule.

Quick question, not OP.

Could you describe the traditional drying process? Is it easy? Can you use it for things other than poblano?

Let them turn red/purple on the plant then pick and hang or spread them out in the sun. You can dry the green ones but they won't have the mild sweetness that they have if let to ripen first.

Thanks man, not sure why I assumed they were smoked. Too humid where I live to dry in the sun so I'll give them 24 hours or so in the dehydrator and see how they are.

Thanks, man.

Just smoke em until they're dry user.

Nothing to it...