Who's ready to join me for a little oven jerky?

Who's ready to join me for a little oven jerky?
First time doing it, but I'm feeling pretty confident.

Posting live from the kitchen.

It's going to be a jalapeño carne asana jerky. Taking the tops right off the jalapeño, add all my seasonings and liquids to the blender until blended to hopeful perfection and marinate them for about an hour.

Wine's for me though. Been a long week.

I made some oven jerky too, Chicago style.

I'm sure it will turn out delicious.
I've made oven jerky many times, just don't overdo it

All blended up. Man this stuff have some kick. Really hoping a good deal of it stays with the meat.

Overdo how? Over cook?

Just under 2lbs of carne asada.

Opposed to buying a more choice steak and thin cutting it myself I went with the already thin cut carne asada. Should come out fine I would imagine.. I mean, I've seen carne asada jerky in stores, so why not?

carne asada isn't a cut of meat

This looks promosing, OP. Never made jerky but I want to so I'll be following closely

Yeah I'm aware it's not, and I didn't mean it the way you thought I did.

Alright, meats all sauced up. Into the fridge for the next hour. See you all then. Gonna make a burger for dinner until it's ready to go.

word, looking good, keep it up

also, more kitten pictures please

Guess I could post the burger until the marinate is done.

Simple stuff. Cook the meat, add the cheese, load it up.

Got one of these onion savers the other day on a 'fuck it' whim. Guess I get to see if it actually works.

Cut me up a little fresh romain

Extra lean?
What's wrong with good old 80/20?

All sliced up. I'll toss the stock in my compost bin for my little balcony garden which I may get a picture of. Nothing special really just some herbs and peppers that are starting to sprout.

Absolutely nothing. In fact I'd prefer the less lean meat, but I bought what was cheapest because I'm trying to save some cash.

Tomatoes were crazy cheap today, 99 cents a pound.

Tomato, check.

And we're a go for glass #2.

>not eating based romaine ribs
>2006+10

Interestingly enough I read an article the other day where it turns out people can't tell cheap wine from expensive wine in a blind taste test. They even went so far as to add a chemical to an expensive wine to make it taste bad and lifted the blind. When the tasters were told the bad tasting one was more expensive, they choose the expensive one as the better tasting every time.

I'll stick with my cheapo $4 bottles, thanks.

I've heard similar stories, reminds me of that tale of Charlie Chaplin winning third place in a Charlie Chaplin lookalike contest.

I mean there's nothing wrong with them, it's just a tougher piece of the leaf. I just don't prefer them on my burgers. Salad, no problem.. I just don't want to have a difficult time eating my burger trying to break the lead from the rib. It's going to my compost anyway, so it's not being entirely wastes.

Meat time.

Wines kicking in, that gave me a harty chuckle.

Shaping my burger; little salt and generous pepper.

Pans warming up. I'll sauté the onion first then get the meat on.

And there she goes.

Love the smell of sautéed onion.

We're about 25 minutes away from the carne asada being ready for jerking.

Burger time.

Trick is to just let the meat sit without pressing or touching it.

Número three

And about time.

Doing this in real time is difficult.

Keep going user, I'm here.

Perfect.

What oil did you use in the pan?

youre not as funny as you think you are

Only touched it once, which was to flip it.

It's burger time!

im here too user

there have been a pleasant amount of cook alongs recently

No oil, non stick.

The fat is fat, literally.

Bun time.

Holy hell you guys almost made me forget cheese

Interesting, that's a decent amount of fat. Do you intentionally do the onions dry then? There is a sizeable amount of fat in the pan, maybe you use use that fat for the onions next time.

Time to plate

Yeah I like to do my onions dry because you actually get the caramelization factor instead of it being bathed in oil which basically just boils the damn thing.

Lettuce first so the bun doesn't get soggy.

Might try that next time then.

Then burger

Lookin' good.

You didn't toast the bread?

Onion next.

Onion before tomato because the tomato is juice. It can slide around and fall out of your burger if it's on slick surfaces like cheese, tomato, then onion. Tomato always belongs on top so the surface area of the bread will cause tension keeping your tomato in place.

I might if this third glass wasn't fucking me up and I need to eat asap or I'm going to go straight to fucking sleep, wine does that to me.

I recently discovered I actually like pickles. So I'm adding pickles.
Didn't used to like them. Now I do. Crazy what time does to ones palate.

What kind of pickles are they?

Tomato

And guess what, were 4 minutes from the carne asada being ready for jerk land!

Images with trees.

Apparently they're "fill fast food chips". I really like Kroger brand shit, but putting fast food in the name of this type of pickle was stupid as shit. Kroger, what the hell were you thinking?

Top bun to finish it off.

Glass #4 and the bottle is done.

Why didn't I just buy a cheap bottle of whisky instead?

So give me like 5 minutes to eat this burger.

I'll take a few pictures of my balcony garden before the sun is completely gone.

Then I'll continue with this oven jerky.

>not using a grill
but seriously good thread op

I had a grill but actually tossed it to make room for my balcony garden. It's tough shit not owning a house, but I make do with this dinky little apartment.

Money shot.

Alright, balcony garden time so we can get back to this jerky.

Bibb lettuce just sprouted.

So did my Swiss chard

Still waiting on my tender green beans, they're about one week away.

This burger so tasty.

Here's my beer herb garden.
Thyme doing extremely well.
Basil just sprouted its first true leaves.
Oregano is taking fucking forever.
So is my Rosemary, but whatever it'll come in when it comes in.

Roma tomatoes doing fantastic, going to transplant them to an upside down hanging planter in another two or so weeks.

The green thing has chili peppers my coworker gave me seeds for. No clue what kind they are, but the peppers have amazing flavor and are hot as hell. I can make use of them in several dishes.

>no plate
Must be nice living a bachelor life. Looks good though, congrats.

Here's my cilantro and Italian parsley starting to sprout.

My cayenne peppers also sprouted today too. Still waiting on my red bell pepper, jalapeño and habanero. This fucking weather has been killing me; cold and not sunny so they're not germinating as fast as if like them to

You know you're drunk when you just mind tell your body to take you somewhere and chill in your mind.

west cost op?

Brother you don't even know. I just turned down a chick the other week because I'm focusing on myself right now. I don't need that in my life, things are amazing right now for me. A woman would only ruin what I have going.

Last picture before we get going on this jerky. Some kind of cactus, brussel sprouts with thyme on either side, chives and mint.

Let's jerky this night up.

Yeah boy, living the good life in San Diego

Give me a minute to leak and we'll get this jerky started

Really digging the garden, almost makes me want to start one for myself. How's the upkeep?

RIP

thought I had my thread trip on guess not, drinking, who cares. Let's jerky.

That's not my trip.
I'll fix t later.
Drinking.
Jerky time.

Eat some raw

Upkeep is very minimal.
I water every 2-3 days, that's it.

It's still early though, things are still growing. Later on I may need to look at bigger pots.

Wow o just barely had enough rack space for this.

175 F for 3.5 hours guys

I'll take questions now until we wait.

May actually run across the street too and get some more drinks. This is a good buzz. I want to keep it going.

Cook something else while you wait please.

*friction but you're all sauced up so I'll let it slide.
This time.

I'm also posting from my phone, it may have been auto correct.

Man I ain't got nothing else to cook but this thing, and I was planning to save it for tomorrow night!

I guess I can show you guys the booze isle at my local Rite Aid, and you can help me pick out what I should drink for the rest of the night...

Alright I'm heading over

You guys got to be on the ball with what you want me to drink tonight, because I don't want to stand in the fucking isle looking at my phone like a fucking dope or some shit.

Seriously, refresh this shit like your life depended on it or I'm just going to buy another bottle of wine and come home.

I'm serious.

I vote chocolate wine.

Shitty elevator

Oh man you guys totally coming with me

Let's head out

Captcha images with cars, how appropriate. Though I do own a truck...

What a nice night for a drive

Ugh traffic

Do you have a preference? (Vodka, whiskey, etc.,)

Someone left their beer on the ground

Who the fuck does that??

Interactive shitposting

I'm a rum man myself, but I'll still drink whisky. I've started on wine so I wouldn't be opposed to making it a wine night.

Recycle it.

Tbh, feels really comfy in here.

This isn't shit posting. This is a journey into the life of a home chef.

Also, we're here.

>Modelo
>In San Diego

I'll give you one guess
>pic semi-related

First section of the isle.
Let's make the fast.
Second section coming up.

And that's the end of the hard liquor isle.

I'll move onto the wine isle if something isn't chosen in the next minute.

I just saw one of my apartment neighbors in here. Super awkward. The guy is an aging hippy and grows opium openly next to his apartment. Still a cool guy I guess, gave me some fishing rod stands so can't be all bad.

The wine.

Let's hurry this up.
Only 2.5 hours until the jerky is done.

Where are you OP?
Are you being harassed by security who is concerned with the grand level of autism you are displaying by taking pictures outside and inside of Rite Aid?

I don't know enough about hard liquor to help sorry.

drink a whole bottle of fireball

Midnight Moon is the only acceptable answer
Wild Turkey 101 is 2nd

Get a Cabernet sauvignon, goes well with what you are cooking.

So you're driving after a bottle of wine?
Not cool bro, not cool.

Lol no I've done that and it wasn't fun

Alright fuck it were going with rum. This is getting awkward.

You gotta get the Midnight Moon, OP
Step outside your comfort zone, and live a little

Where is it I didn't see it???

found it

Oh man feel like I'm going to get wasted tonight

Next to the Wild Turkey 101