You gotta press it down like this, seal all the juices in

>you gotta press it down like this, seal all the juices in

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions
youtube.com/watch?v=1WqZ5AlRneI
aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/09/the-burger-lab-smashed-burgers-vs-smashing-burgers.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

depends on what consistency you want on your patties

both flattening and not flattening make for great, though different, experiences.

Troll thread

Everyone know pressing down pushed the juices out. Make them thinner raw than you want.

It wasn't intended to be a troll thread. The le green meme indicated that he was quoting someone. So the OP is making fun of people who think that you should press down your patties.

*le green meme arrow

It was meant to attract pressers and start an argument methinks.

>seal all the juices in
Dam right.
Do you even Veeky Forums ?

What?? People inciting arguments on Veeky Forums?

Preposterous!

Oh, I see you master the Chicago style patty. You only need to add more tomato sauce on it to keep the moisture.

anybody ever use a tortilla press to make really thin patties that are like 8-10 inches in diameter raw then shrink down to 4-5 inches cooked? season the top side when you first put it in the pan then flip it when that side starts to look cooked. makes a good thin well-done burger if you like that sort of thing. maybe use 2 or 3 patties with cheese in between.

brilliant!

it would be nothing but crispy burger. holy shit.

>anybody ever use a tortilla press to make really thin patties that are like 8-10 inches in diameter raw then shrink down to 4-5 inches cooked?
No, but I do smash a ball of hamburger meat between two china plates to do that. Then I smash them in the pan onto a thin layer of onions, to do my "fake Krystal" burger night.

In general, if you do this, pressed hamburger is not ideal. It's better to lightly do it in your cold palms, a bit looser in the middle, minimal working, just pass it back and forth to hold it together, and get those sides pressed. A coarser ground meat mixture makes the better burger too as does a higher fat content. Experiment both ways sometimes see if you agree. The only advantage to a ridiculously flat surface is great browning flavor, but you only need that on the first side anyway.

>work at steak and shake
>start with meat puck
>smash that bitch flat as fuck
>scrape off the griddle and flip

Pretty good burgers imo

If you do it in the first few seconds of the meat hitting the heat, the juices will be absorbed back in to the patty. You can get a more even sear while retaining juice.

>mf when my mom always mashed down burgers mid cook

doing this while it's still RARE is perfectly acceptable in order to form a good crust. you however don't want to do this on a pattie that is almost cooked

my dad did this.
horrible dry burgers were my childhood

have none of you chucklefucks ever been to Smashburger? unbelievable how many people are memeing about juices and shit. ditch the flyover lifestyle sometime and stop by

>seal all the juices in
good luck with that

Smashburger doesn't wait until it's cooking. It's smashed almost immediately.

when I grill I just set a timer for I think it was 8 minutes a side. Never mess with it except flipping. Turn out great.

Your mommy and daddy aren't the problem.
that's actually when it is cooking, stupid.

put dent in middle so doesn't become ball. :P This is the limits of my limited cooking knowledge.

I thought pressing them was supposed to help with the heat transfer? Have I been lied to?

dry burgers are terrible

>I thought pressing them was supposed to help with the heat transfer? Have I been lied to?

It improves heat transfer by some tiny little percent that doesn't matter.

On the other hand, it also fucks with the texture of the patty and squishes out the tasty juices.

The latter is far more significant than the former.

Le searing meme
>Searing meat does not "seal in" moisture, and in fact may actually cause meat to lose moisture in comparison to an equivalent amount of cooking without searing. Generally, the value in searing meat is that it creates a brown crust with a rich flavor via the Maillard reaction

From: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions

I use one of these, much simpler.
youtube.com/watch?v=1WqZ5AlRneI

John Taffer says you're making a rookie mistake

Oh man, my friend and I love binge-watching Bar Rescue and yelling jokes about Taffer's wife at the tv.

aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/09/the-burger-lab-smashed-burgers-vs-smashing-burgers.html

get educated

>taffer's wife
What does this mean, I don't watch the show but I want into the know

a wife is a female that you're married to

It's more an in-joke with us than it is with the show. He just has his wife come on there sometimes and we insult her is all.

Or in Taffer's case, a bleached baboon you've adopted.

wait, is this thread implying that you're /not/ supposed to push down on the patties? i always do that.

It doesn't really matter. They'll weep "YOU'RE LOSING PRECIOUS JUICE" but I don't think they've ever asked themselves how much juice they expect to lose from just pressing on the everchristing thing.

It's not just the juice, it's the texture of the patty.

Pressing them with the spatula has no benefits, only negatives.

Fucking GROSS!! Are you using a plastic spat u spastic fat piece of. Metal spats all goddamn day, and night. No more garbage taste or melted tools

I do it to kinda burn the bottom of it, because I like when it's brown/black and crusty and tough
could car eless about the juices actually, I'm not eating meat for juice. i'm eating meat for meat. i drink juice for juice, but i'd never do that, because juice is way too sugary