I was surprised to learn that people outside the US don't eat PB&J's and in some cases never even heard of them...

I was surprised to learn that people outside the US don't eat PB&J's and in some cases never even heard of them. For such a simple sandwich and a staple food this is really hard for me to understand. You guys are missing out, especially if pair them with Doritos. You got the soft and sweet of the sandwich contrasted by the crunchy zest of the chips. It's the perfect combo.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vW5U4AV1kFk
youtube.com/watch?v=rdhEew8fa5g&app=desktop
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>a staple food

Peanut butter + Bread + Jelly is a simple cheap and filling meal. I don't see why you wouldn't call it a staple, in the American kitchen at least.

It's packed in like 90% of kids' lunches for school

>pair them with doritos

cut off the crust too, and enjoy a nice cold dew to create the perfect meal

Peanut butter isn't as popular in the rest of the world as it is in USA.

As a born and raised American, I've always found this combo disgustingly sweet. I'd rather have peanut butter + pickle, or potato chips, or banana

>I was surprised to learn that people outside the US don't eat PB&J's
Best get a passport my flyover friend. they were invented in Europe.

Stop

>pb&j disgusting
>p&pickle good

you need to reevaluate your life

That's why you pair them with something spicy like Doritos.

>peanut butter
>sugar
>fat
>miniscule amount of protein

>jelly
>literally just sugar

>bread
>starch
>sugar

I bet you eat them with a bag of potato chips and a can of coke too.

you can't eat them without chips

I was like you once. A non believer. I called my uncles disgusting for enjoying that unappealing shitwich. Then I made one and I took back everything.
Spicy claussen is my favorite kind to use.

peanut butter, banana slices and bacon on bread that has been fried in butter

>flesh
>blood
>bone
>sinew

faggot

That was an awful post on every level

Probably because jelly is the main constituent of trifles, it is not a suitable filling for a sandwich.

>peanut butter, banana slices and bacon on bread that has been fried in butter
Dunno about the authenticity or deliciousness of an Elvis sandwich...
but I grew up with PB banana sandwiches....but it had mayo on the banana side. AMAZING. I think the bananas need to be a touch on the green unripened side for the tanginess to work right.

I saw a thread about this years ago, and at that time a bunch of people were like WTFNOWAY about it, until a few chimed in that they had it too. I believe it's kind of like the butter on a tea sandwich, something protective about the mayo layer to the bread sogginess thing. It was just something people did in the old days. Every now and then I'll visit the past and have one. It's right up there with a cold meatloaf sandwich, sliced thick with chili sauce and a bread and butter pickle slice.

Other favorites are pimento cheese, which I make from jarred pimentos, shredding a block of aged cheddar, lots of black pepper, smidge of cream cheese as well as mayo to bind it. Might have a grate of onion in it too. Better after blending to wait for a couple of hours in the fridge. Best jam for PBJ? Strawberry if super chunky and thick. I also am partial to orange marmalade if nice and cold. Crunchy > creamy, and natural Smuckers works well for roasty flavors. I think what is most appealing about a lunch box PBJ is how it's still delicious mushed, smashed or cold from your frozen capri sun to pack it all in for the day. Goes best with milk though.

>>spicy
>>doritos

white boy detected

>eating anything spicier than doritos
Blech. Enjoy your ulcers and lack of tastebuds

>not thinking of habanero doritos as the default dorito flavor

nigger detected

Are you buying American jellies? Euro ones are definitely too sweet. They ruin it by adding real sugar and it's not a meme or I'm joking. I got the Bonne Maman brand that is from France and I could barely tolerate it. It was sickening.

So defensive about your terrible diets!

It's almost as if you don't know how to make jam.

>all fat is bad
>sugar
depends on what brand/kind of jelly you're using, but if you use peanut butter made with 100% (or mostly) peanuts it's not a bad or unhealthy snack at all. Peanut butter has mostly unsaturated fats which are actually good if taken in moderation.

They're not a common sandwich here, although my entire life I've been crazy about PB sandwiches. I only added the J to my peanut butter sandwiches when I was about 15 and didn't like it that much

nowadays it's a toss up between plain PB or PB&J. For me the most important thing is the soft white bread and the quality of the peanut butter

>miniscule amount of protein

Nuts are virtually all protein

PB and pickle is conceptually fucking vile and has no business tasting as good as it does.

I know some old timers that eat PB and onion sandwiches but that's a bridge too far.

They're mostly fat.

pb+pickle sandwich is God tier

You're mostly fat

I'm an American and PB+J is disgusting simply because the water content inevitably soaks the bread. PB+honey is a superior combination as honey saturating the bread does not cause it to become soggy, but instead dense and crunchy. It goes well with milk and carrots.

Anybody ever make a pb&j shake? Like I'll actually make a full sandwich just because its fun, put it in the blender with a glass of milk. I call it an Opie Taylor.

I'm Australian and I had peanut butter and jam sandwiches for lunch every day as a kid. Our jam is a little different to your jelly though, still shitloads of sugar tho.

Since we're getting into all these details

The best pb and j is best without jelly, OR jam, the best is preserves

Jam is mostly seen as something for breakfast or for using in desserts because it's so sweet.

PB&J feels a bit like having a slice of cake for lunch. There's nothing wrong with cake per se, but it's something you'd only have in small portions of at all at that time of day.

Wtf lol I can't even right now

This person knows what's up.

Kinda off topic but what is the difference between jam, jelly and preserves. It all seems the same to me.

I live in soUtheast Asia. My father is hainan Chinese, he is the one who taught me about the wonderful peanut butter and jam combo.

It is appreciated outside of the US , just not in such high numbers.

I think jelly is like gelatine jello... And jam is spread made from fruit and sugar. The definitions can vary depending on country.

Jelly, jam and preserves are all made from fruit mixed with sugar and pectin. The difference between them comes in the form that the fruit takes.

In jelly, the fruit comes in the form of fruit juice.
In jam, the fruit comes in the form of fruit pulp or crushed fruit (and is less stiff than jelly as a result).
In preserves, the fruit comes in the form of chunks in a syrup or a jam.

I like shitty pb&j's and fancy ones as well. Make one with good bread, the crunchy natural peanut butter with nothing added to it, and some good fruit spread with no sugar added like apricot or raspberry.

>America

I can practically see the fat through the post

I like the >implication that sandwiches have previously not been "go anywhere"

use natural peanut butter, it doesn't have sugar added

I tried peanut butter and jelly but didn't really think it was anything special.

Peanut butter and honey or peanut butter and nuttela are better combinations in my opinion.

I'm Australian if it matters.

I live in the US, and always considered a PB+J a kid's meal. The only adults I know who eat them are lazy people who don't cook and/or poor. I don't think I've eaten one since I was about 12.

It sounds like something you'd make for a child if you had literally nothing else to feed them. Adults in the US actually eat this?

Not usually but the millenials are so broke from drowning in student loan debt and medical bills that it's often the other half of their diet, ramen being the primary half.

I tried some "peanut butter" while living in Japan. It was, literally, butter with peanuts in it.

I had my family send me a case of Laura Scudders and I ended up selling half of it at a profit to my Japanese coworkers.

>something you'd make for a child

Exactly.

>>Adults in the US actually eat this?
Not normally. But perhaps as a quick snack or maybe if someone is feeling nostalgic?

My negro....

It is a kid's meal, but you'd be surprised how many adults eat kid's food. It's kind of understandable if you have fussy kids and jjust end up eating whatever you end up feeding them. But there are many adults out there who are not parents, yet still eat like children.

I don't get americas fascination for P&J sandwhiches? It sounds fucking disgusting. Peanutbutter in general tastes like shit, it's like putting a spoonful of salt into your mouth + it's not exactly healthy to eat any larger amounts of.

>It sounds fucking disgusting.
It is, but poor Americans will eat all manner of disgusting shit as long as the fat/salt/sugar balance is right.

This is the dumbest thing I've read all day.

I don't get Japans obsession with animal torture, it's generally unpleasant to me....probably because I didn't grow up in Japan, right?

OP specifically is asking why other countries haven't heard or like the idea of it the sandwhich and you say my reasons dumb just because you disagree.
Ok

There is no American "fascination" with the sandwich, it's just something that's eaten commonly. Why do the British put mayo on fries? It's a disgusting concept to most people in the US, BECAUSE THEY JUST DO

People enjoy eating things they are used to, nearly everything on earth is an acquired taste aside from, ironically, something you named which is salt, which is scientifically proven to taste "good" like sugar and fats

shouldn't you be posting a full english breakfast in some other thread?

pb&j is child's food

>People enjoy eating things they are used to
This is true, but many of the foods people have gotten used to during the 20th Century in America are disgusting. Being on the cutting edge of industrialized food production and convenience food marketing resulted in a lot of disgusting shit becoming completely normal in 20th Century America. Stuff like:
canned pasta/sweet pasta sauces
PB+J sandwiches
instant mac & cheese
chicken nuggets
Hamburger Helper
frozen pizza
bottles of salad dressings
soda
snack foods
TV dinners
fast food
various "hot dish" casseroles
candied yams baked with marshmallows
chip dip made from sour cream and onion soup mix
salads dripping with mayo
salad molds made from Jell-o
cheese steaks / French dip / Italian beef sandwiches
chili dogs

The 20th Century was pretty brutal for American food.

pic related

What's wrong with PB&J
What's wrong with bottles of salad dressing? How else would you keep it and easily dispense it? In like a bucket with a fucking ladle?

What's wrong with philly cheese steak/french dip/ Italian beef?. If you've ever had a properly made sandwich you'd know they taste good.

What your whole post comes down too is that convenience food is pretty shitty

>it's a "I need to validate myself by accusing other people of being children because of the kind of foods they eat" thread
God, between this and all the "meme food" posts, when did Veeky Forums become such a terrible board? I'm better off browsing /b/, at least there's decent port there.

How about peanut butter with some processed American cheese. Now that shit is god-tier.

I'm 45 years old and I'll still eat a PB&J once or twice a month. Protein and carbs. Good to go. And if I'm riding my bicycle further than 50 miles, I bring one along as well.

>What your whole post comes down too is that convenience food is pretty shitty
Yep. That's my point. And that level of degraded taste became the norm for most people during the 20th Century. People got used to the taste of garbage like bottled salad dressing to the point where they simply forgot they could do much better making it themselves for a few minutes' worth of effort. People got used to the taste of greasy, heavily salted sandwiches made from cheap beef on poor quality bread, so that became normal for them instead of comedic level overkill. Same is true of fast food.

Like I said the 20th Century was pretty brutal for food in the US.

I don't know if I'd say Philly cheese steaks are the norm. Also it must not have worked on me then cause when I'm able to control my own diet (fuck my parents btw) I eat mostly rice and beans bean chili eggs bacon peanut butter some fruit.

Also again what is wrong with bottled salad dressing? How do you keep salad dressing in your house? Is it stored in a golden tabernacle?

I guaran-fucking-tee you've eaten chicken nuggets or McDonald's within the past week. Stop trolling, kid.

The J in PB&J stands for jelly, not jam.

Haven't eaten at McD's since 1998, when they had the Small Soldiers $1 triple cheeseburger promo, and I ate three. I said never again, and haven't been back since.

Food doesn't discriminate by age. I'm in my 30s and I make these regularly because I'm vegetarian and most places I go have no option for that, so these are an easy back-up meal if I'm out of the house.

I've never had peanut butter taste salty at all.

>I'm vegetarian and most places I go have no option for that
The tide is turning. I'm not even full time veg, but practically everywhere in NYC you can find veg options. Hopefully that will be the case before long in your neck of the woods.

I don't keep salad dressing in my house. I make it when I'm having salad.

Is there much difference besides the texture? It's still like half sugar.

>american cuisine

No you don't. You keep a large bottle of ranch in the door of your refrigerator. I'm sure you use it to dip your Domino's pizza in as well.

ranch + pizza is so fucking good.

ranch + fries is so fucking good.

im not even fat, fight me faggot.

I don't like peanut butter. The taste doesn't appeal to me. It's sticky and makes my throat itch (no, i'm not allergic). Crunchy PB is good for the texture I guess, but it's overall a low tier food. I can't be the only one.

youtube.com/watch?v=vW5U4AV1kFk

I pity the Euros who never grew up with ranch and were taught by their society to hate it just because it's not upper class food.

I pity the Americans who were raised on such bad cooking that dipping it in ranch is an improvement.

>euros put mayonnaise on fries
>don't understand ranch is objectively superior

I don't even care if this post was hours ago, this is absolutely correct. Especially if you get them homemade from your grandmother who lives on a little farm in the middle of Iowa.

I'm American and I don't get the appeal of Ranch, especially the way people slather things in it. Just kinda gross.

I want to punch you in the head.

Something fatty had to take the place of ketchup eventually.

I have never even had peanut butter and I am american.

>why don't you do the dew, dude

>Why do the British put mayo on fries? It's a disgusting concept to most people in the US, BECAUSE THEY JUST DO
the better question would be: why do so many americans hate mayo? because that yet again another weird thing about the us

I'm right there with you. I'm an advocate of most things considered American but I just can't get on board with the ranch obsession.

we dont hate mayo, its just not seen as a dip here like ketchup, though i do like to dip my fires in mayo sometimes

I think its really funny that Euro's just go EWW American food is soooooo gross just by looking at it. Like shitting on ranch you've probably never had it but hear a meme on the internet that its bad and for fat Americans. I'm not saying that its the best condiment every but your not somehow a high class patrician for disliking it on principle

your no better than the caricatures you make Americans out to be

Americans love mayo, but many are afraid that room temperature mayo will kill them, so it's not as heavily used as a table condiment the way ketchup, mustard and increasingly ranch and BBQ sauce are. It's still on many of our sandwiches, and part of the dressing of many, many salads we make.

because ranch is objectively superior to mayo

>but hear a meme on the internet
Lord help this poor millennial.

because many americans are filled with mayonaise and it disgusts the rest of us.
youtube.com/watch?v=rdhEew8fa5g&app=desktop