Does anyone here do historic cooking? I'd like to try making stuff from antiquity to use for hiking...

does anyone here do historic cooking? I'd like to try making stuff from antiquity to use for hiking, but am not sure where to start

I'm familiar with hardtack, anyways

Other urls found in this thread:

godecookery.com/how2cook/how2cook.htm
foodtimeline.org/
oregonpioneers.com/FoodChoices.htm
foodtimeline.org/foodpioneer.html
youtube.com/watch?v=aVAChVAI_S0
youtube.com/watch?v=BaJJvqPaFeM
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2490264/?page=6
lycaeum.org/~sputnik/Ludlow/THE/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=fKNGPMefJ_A
lycaeum.org/
medievalcookery.com/recipes/
amazon.com/Pleyn-Delit-Medieval-Cookery-Modern/dp/0802076327
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This is the most neckbeardy question I've ever seen in my life
You going to bring some mead too? Maybe in a wine skin you bought off Jas Townsend?

Sorry I can't be of help, but I just want to share that I love all the moments in the LotR trilogy when they're eating. I especially like the meals you seem them cook at campfires. Towards the beginning of their journey, Sam has some eggs, bacon, and sausages it looks like. When shit gets tough, Gollum snares a rabbit and pic related happens. That scene makes me hungry, because I love rustic stews like that.

try making garum, an ancient roman condiment.

Fuck off this guy's trying to do something fun and interesting with food. I can't help you OP, but I wish you well.

Plenty of sourcing out there on the internet, especially among the ren faire people. I haven't seen a thread like this in a while here, however.

Game of Thrones got me a bit interested in feasting, as do some novels from time to time.

Im going to paste a couple favorite links that have some college educator type sources:
godecookery.com/how2cook/how2cook.htm
foodtimeline.org/
oregonpioneers.com/FoodChoices.htm

If you know your history a bit, you should have fun getting some recipes from within those sites by time period, as you glance through the first appearance of ingredient usages in the middle link. Like within this page:
foodtimeline.org/foodpioneer.html

I find the bread leavening history particularly interesting, from "irish" switch to soda to sourdough during the gold rush. There's a very traditional bread called "salt-rising" bread, which is delicious and is a fermented starter using potatoes, cornmeal, dairy or other choices. These two ladies are the only ones that seem to have a good tutorial (and there are several videos in this set). You can NOT get more traditional that this recipe!!
youtube.com/watch?v=aVAChVAI_S0

Unless you're into larping or whatever there isn't really a point if you're just going hiking. Modern food is much better and tastier.

There's literally nothing wrong with mead.

Nothing is wrong with hardtack either, but better things exist

just buy colatura

Forget to say that only 5 bakeries left in the US making salt-rising bread anymore. It's right out of the wagon train era.
10 day shelf life, found another video
youtube.com/watch?v=BaJJvqPaFeM

My grandfather (german descent from st. louis but who lived in Tennessee), used to rave about it from his memory. I learned the recipe and did the crock pot incubation phase method described in the other videos I posted. It would be perfect if one had a sous vide and wanted to get high tech making this in a professional kitchen. It'd get some chef recognition, I'm sure.

>historic cooking
>just buy the thing

do you visit /diy/ a lot too?

Sounds like you just had shit mead, bruh.

fish sauce is so horrible to make that unless you already do it it's not worth it.

Yes, no one could possibly have tasted REAL mead and not thought it was the best drink ever (I was born in the wrong decade)

I know a guy who specializes in ancient bread and hearth cooking techniques, using historical and cultural analysis to actually research how breads were made in Roman times and stuff.

The bread is shit and he's crazy as fuck. Would not recommend.

More like you've never had real mead to begin with.
You're dismissing the entire beverageover the equivalent of a skunked bottle of Heineken.

Make your own fermented alcohols. It's a bit expensive to get going but once you're up and running you'll be surprised at how cheap it is to get shitfaced on your own brew.

I've had the major commercial brands as well as some basement mead my neckbeard friend made me try

There were definitely differences

Modern beverages definitely are better

The vikings are gone. It's time to move on

>More like you've never had real mead to begin with.
Oh c'mon. Mead is most delicately described as an acquired taste for a select few. It has a few diehard fans who elevate the historical value so highly in their minds that they ignore the real palate-ability of the recipe for food pairing and/or every other reason under the sun for sipping those spirits vs something else. There are many beverages that aren't much made anymore for the fact it isn't the best thing in the world.

If it was so all that, it'd be the the honey whiskey of the era of beverage marketing of the moment, but it's simply not. So stop being offended. Glad you enjoy it, and you're keeping old traditions alive, but I'm personally not offended by "mead is crap" comments by others anymore than I'm not offended by comments that Southern Comfort contains flavors that were added to hide the taste of horrible tasting moonshine during a time it was hard to get brandy imports. Got it. So what if people like it? Doesn't bother me either way. Mmm honey. Mmm spices. But, give me a Benedictine as an after dinner sipper vs mead, that's just me. If I'm walking around a ren faire probably not getting mead either, even as a free sample, if the weather is hot it'll be cider, if it's cold would reach for a dark beer, which goes with my pretzel or scotch egg better.

>I've had modern commercial beers as well as a kit beer my friend made me try

Like bruh you're being retarded, it's not even about vikings.

>I've had the major commercial brands
None of them are that good desu. Most of them are marketed to hipsters or as gimmicky wines.

I didn't really like mead either until I had a wonderful sparkling semi-sweet mead from a regional meadery.

Idk why you fags are insulting mead, Tej is a wonderful drink and I imagine without gesho it'd be just as lovely.
Roman recipes seem horrible and Egyptian food is depressing from what I've made or eaten.

I'm so grateful for spices and recipes that don't rely so heavily on vinegar or wine

I've always wondered about how food was cooked/stored/eaten while on the move in the 17-1800's.

I'd look on google books for a pre-1930 book on outdoors shit

A cool old method from 1843 of extracting thc and making it into effective edible medicine

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2490264/?page=6

This whole book is about a scientist first taking these "grains" and noting his experiences

lycaeum.org/~sputnik/Ludlow/THE/index.html

youtube.com/watch?v=fKNGPMefJ_A
all the cooking videos on this channel are pretty ineresting

>lycaeum.org/
fuck off back to your orphanage mate

he was a new age hippie before the brief period of time it was cool to be a new age hippie

Three words op

>Jas Fucking Townsend

Check out their youtube, enjoy the comfy 17-18th century cooking.l

>If it was so all that, it'd be the the honey whiskey of the era of beverage marketing of the moment

I'm a historical cook. If you're looking to start, here's something to get you going: medievalcookery.com/recipes/

Make Pemmican..goes well with your hardtack,

A lot of historic food tasted like shit though.

Abundant amount of spices were pretty much used to disguise the taste of badly cooked dishes.

Also, meals were pretty unhealthy for rich people in ancient times in the long run compared to the diets of peasants.

They suffered from Gout pretty badly.

This mainly applies to landlocked regions however.

For nations that lived near the sea in ancient times, they barely suffered gout and their cooking was much more delicious and healthier in general compared to landlocked nations.

Also, salt was cheaper to acquire so no one was lacking precious sodium.

This was an era in humanity when soldiers' wages would actually be paid in salt for certain nations.

That shows you how precious spices used to be.

>A lot of historic food tasted like shit though.
No more than now.

>Abundant amount of spices were pretty much used to disguise the taste of badly cooked dishes.
Wrong.
Spices were a sign of wealth. The poor with average/low quality food couldn't afford them, the rich with good quality food wanted them smothered, until 16-17th century when it slowly became cheaper.

Food has not really changed radically throughout history barring the obvious, like the introduction of potato, tomato, when the mediterranian learnt they could boil dough instead of frying it...

However, taste wise it was all fairly good. The Roman empire had hyper decadent dishes that they made illegal under fear it would make people lazy hedonists.

amazon.com/Pleyn-Delit-Medieval-Cookery-Modern/dp/0802076327

came here to post this