Anyone have a good mashed potatoes recipe that only uses

Anyone have a good mashed potatoes recipe that only uses

>potatoes
>butter
>milk
>salt

The recipe I've been using requires heavy whipping cream. And even though they always come out great, it's not convenient for me to buy heavy cream and only use it once a week for a single dish.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C0gWH2E4lWg
foodwishes.blogspot.ca/2013/11/ultimate-mashed-potatoes-not-your-every.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aligot
youtube.com/watch?v=VfDL7mi1XA0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

why the fuck do you need a recipe? it's fucking mashed potato. use a good quality potato like russet or yukon and mash the shit (but don't overmash). eyeball butter salt and pepper. it's not fucking rocket science, son

Use yukon gold potatoes, boil the chunks for 20minutes, put in as much butter and milk in as you like and mash with this, the only real potato masher.
>inb4 eggbeaters/other mashers
what the fuck ever

i use the flat bottom of a steel water bottle. not even joking

Cook potatoes, add butter, milk and salt and then smash to bits.

Boil potatoes with skin on
Put through a ricer
Add butter and milk/heavy cream

Perhaps make some garlic or herb butter to use.

Pretty simple dude, just use the milk where you've been using the cream. And try to make it about a 1:3 butter to potato ratio by weight.

Get a good potatoe masher or potato ricer would be even better.

>cut potatoes in half (this is important)
>throw taters in water and add salt
>boil until they are tender
>drain water
>add butter and milk
>start mashing and add more milk or butter if necessary
>potato ricer works best though

Also it's important to cut the potatoes in half so that they don't have that much water in them, they cook a little longer but you will get the fluffiest and creamiest mashed potatoes ever.

I need to know exactly how much butter and milk to add, so I can count the calories. This is the recipe I've been using:

> 1 1/2 lbs (680 g) Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut lengthwise into quarters
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 4 Tbsp (60 ml) heavy cream
> 2 Tbsp (30 g) butter
> 1 Tbsp milk (or more)
> Salt and Pepper

>1 Place the peeled and cut potatoes into a medium saucepan. Add cold water to the pan until the potatoes are covered by at least an inch. Add a half teaspoon of salt to the water. Turn the heat on to high, and bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat to low to maintain a simmer, and cover. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until you can easily poke through them with a fork.

>2 While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter and warm the cream. You can heat them together in a pan on the stove or in the microwave.

>3 When the potatoes are done, drain the water and place the steaming hot potatoes into a large bowl. Pour the heated cream and melted butter over the potatoes. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher. Then use a strong wooden spoon (a metal spoon might bend) to beat further. Add milk and beat until the mashed potatoes are smooth. Don't over-beat the potatoes or the mashed potatoes will end up gluey.

>Add salt and pepper to taste.

>I need to know exactly how much butter and milk to add, so I can count the calories.

all of those are ADDED TO YOUR TASTE numbskull. measure it as you add it. HOLY FUCKING SHIT. this isn't even critical thinking level

Just add like 2 more tablespoons of milk to cover the heavy cream

Using a potato ricer will really improve the texture of your mashed potatoes. Less mashing, more consistent product.

this

but also add some fresh nutmeg.

For extra richness stirr in an egg yolk

There is one thing that will improve the quality of your mash that many people skip. After you drain your potatoes, put them back into the pot, and back onto the stove, mashing them a bit and stirring. You don't need to do this for too long, maybe 20 to 30 seconds. This'll cook some of the excess water out of the potatoes. After, mash and add butter and milk as normal. Give it a try, there is an appreciable difference, they taste much richer with the same amount of butter and milk added.

butter
cream
salt
black pepper
nutmeg

>so I can count the calories

Mash potatoes, add butter.

That's it. That's all you need for mashed potatoes. Add as much or as little butter as you want

If you're counting calories, I don't know if this would help you because I don't count them, but you could mash sweet potatoes and only use some milk with no butter.

Yes, can confirm.

I just like simple mash:

Water, to boil
Potatoes, any yellow-fleshed variety, 1kg (about 2lbs US)
Butter, in chunks, 100g (about 1 stick US)
Parsley and/or dill, fresh or dry, if/as desired
Salt and pepper, to taste

Set water in a pot over high heat until it boils; meanwhile, wash (and peel or don't) the potatoes.
Put potatoes in a steamer basket and steam until cooked through.
>this can take a while, but if you cut the potatoes up into cubes, it will take considerably less time
Remove from the water and mash.
Whip in the butter and any herbs you may be using.
S&P2T

Nuffin' special.

A friend from an Orthodox Jew family (so they won't mix meat and dairy) does it basically the same way but with chicken grease taking the place of the butter. That's. Fucking. Magical. I had it for the first time at his wedding. Any of you that can get or don't mind making chicken grease really ought to try it this way, as well.
He eats cheeseburgers and shit now, but since half the people at his wedding were Orthodox, everything had to be kosher.

just put some nutmeg in there and you should be fine

>removing the potato skins

I really hope none of you do this.

Also. Maris piper are the God-tier potatoes for mash.

youtube.com/watch?v=C0gWH2E4lWg
foodwishes.blogspot.ca/2013/11/ultimate-mashed-potatoes-not-your-every.html

then don't eat fucking white potatoes?

>mashed potatoes
>heavy whipping cream

kill yourself you fucking faggot

garlic > nutmeg

My chrondo tiptoe the day is to use SOUR CREAM. Even French onion might do. Not my fav, but you may have more uses for such and the flavour is amazing

Not all of us have Muslim semen readily on hand.

Boil potatoes
Drain
Add butter
Mash vigorously.

>Non-americans criticizing US when they have recipes like this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aligot
youtube.com/watch?v=VfDL7mi1XA0

Everything is fine in moderation, user.

yogurt