Has anyone tried making those horrific 50s recipes posted here?

Has anyone tried making those horrific 50s recipes posted here?

Other urls found in this thread:

midcenturymenu.com/2014/05/mid-century-guest-test-saturday-shrimp-mold-or-ptsd-on-a-platter/
vintagerecipecards.com/2014/07/14/tuna-and-pear-pizza/
midcenturymenu.com/2012/02/liver-pate-en-masque-a-retro-gelatin-dare/
denbrunamaten.se/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Literally every single thing about this image makes me want to bash a pregnant woman's face in with a hammer, cut out her spawn, and feed it to a colony of flesh-eating cockroaches.

That one isn't horrific.

That is.

I'm unsure about this.

If my wife in the 40's would make this i'd beat the fuck out of her

What's your issue with grapes?

I'd chow that down in a heartbeat.

I am currently vomiting on my grandmother thanks to this 'recipe.'

Fuck you Cambells Soup!

I love grapes. That's why I fucking hate that they're being used as a bed to garnish a turkey in some horrifying attempt at "fancy" presentation.

No, just no...
There is no way that anyone ever thought this was a god idea.

This is just old school trolling, that has to be it.

That genuinely looks good. Would devour. Would be even better if they were non-sweet plantains.

So, you would eat the grapes?

Im from a culture where the carb staples are rice and bananas and let me tell you, satanspawn, i would not touch that shit with a yardstick

You should probably look into euthanasia.

I like Hawaiian Pizza I'd probably like this

"Lime Cheese Salad"

Besides everything else wrong with this... It doesn't tell you how to make the seafood salad. 0/10.

That's an odd request, but I'd be happy to euthanize you.

Not when they've had a turkey with a ridiculous tuxedo crust lying atop them.

Is this even real? Jesus damn, the olives? Tuna and waffles though. Man, everything here. And dinner for the whole family. Shit.

Yo nigga we heard you like pears.

We also heard you like Miracle Whip.

So we brought two great flavors together at least by taking half a canned pear, and dropping a huge fucking load of miracle whip on it.

Then you shove it into your face hole and enjoy.

ruining pears by adding dressing... just thinking about the taste makes me gag

It makes me gag 9 times

I would eat this. Kinda tempted to actually try...

gelatinized potato salad

no

My wife does this whenever I buy pears. I don't buy pears too much anymore.

>someone made the shrimp mould
midcenturymenu.com/2014/05/mid-century-guest-test-saturday-shrimp-mold-or-ptsd-on-a-platter/

"good old-fasioned boiled dressing"
Those were dark times

ITT: Myopic children with very little life experience (and seemingly zero understanding of history or culinary context) masturbate each other by despising foods from another time, all the while missing the irony of being prudish and close-minded while assuming themselves worldly and knowledgeable about food.

The gelatin is only in the glaze. Otherwise the potato salad is just chilled.

wow dude ur so cool and smart

>_Only_ Miracle Whip can make pears taste so good!

I dispute this claim.

Solution: buy pears, but do not by Miracle Whip.

What's wrong with that, exactly? Are you grossed out by the word "suet"? It's just beef dumplings in sauce.

I made that warm dr pepper with lemon before. It was not ... bad I guess?

This is what food still looks like in the midwest. If you think it's anything less than the best food in the universe, you're anti-American yurop poor and you'll stop at nothing short of the total destruction of America and all Americans (at least we're not the south).

>implying we didn't grow up with some of these foods and despise them for being terrible ideas in hindsight, and even worse in execution

Flippity Floo, here's your (You)

He's just shitposting.

I don't know about this recipe but steak puddings made with suet are a British Classic.

Like which one of these things did you grow up with?

This was a simple time... Honestly I feel like stuff like this would be the norm for good home cooks. Grapes as a garnish

Holy shit.

A lot of the gross af foods were born out of necessity... You know all the wars and bad shit going down. Many people were poor

looks awful and i'm british

This is adorable

>Myopic children with very little life experience

Because we don't like mayo mixed w/ gelatin and poured on everything....

here is your obligatory (You) you want so bad

I think it to do with apperance of the pies, in the recipes
>perhaps all these recipes were heavenly and they merely just sucked at presenting them

>looks awful and i'm british
And I'm 20 foot tall.

>He thinks a Steak & Kidney pudding looks awful
>Claims to be British

Sure thing Hank. Why not prove how British you are by misusing the word "wanker", that'll sure fool everyone.

The gelatin-based stuff came from back when instant gelatin showed up.

Suddenly you didn't have to be rich or boil bones all day to experience that fancy aspic cuisine.

You mean to tell me no one tried making these white people cuisines? What a shocker.

Why do these always look like they're in the twilight zone between a photograph & a drawing?

>"the hubs"

looks disgusting. carrots, green beans and broccolis boiled in water.
typical british food

>carrots
>green beans
>broccolis

Oh the horror! Vegetables!

>boiled in water.

Those look steamed to me.

No you're right, best stick to your tendies user.

>vintagerecipecards.com/2014/07/14/tuna-and-pear-pizza/

I'm seriously considering making this the next time I'm invited for a meal

midcenturymenu.com/2012/02/liver-pate-en-masque-a-retro-gelatin-dare/

>tuna and pear pizza
>it's actually anchovies and prunes

I'm okay with this.

> anchovies and prunes

That's what it looked like to me.

I would try it.

Did people actually like this shit back then? I know that a lot of cuisine in the mid-20th century was a very gaudy attempt at looking refined and/or French but come on now.

I read it as "Tuna and beer" and that seemed better, somehow.

This is actually very good, add a tiny bit of cheese on top and you have something very special.
I am not even joking.

My grandmother used to make this for me in my youth.

Minis the boiled part..

denbrunamaten.se/

This family cooks and reviews old recipes. It's in Swedish, but I think the pictures speak for themselves.

But it's got a cute lil bowtie

This recipes are wild, I wonder how different people's tastebuds were...or were they just cramming "exotic" stuff into everything

Someone answer this question. I'm thirty, and mayo gelatin salads were already a discredited meme when I was a kid. Do we have any 40somethings here?

>Tom let’s me do this
>Tom let us me do this
That whole blog is really annoying to read.

>Fruit Producers Council
If I was in a band, and also if I was an orchard, I would name myself this.

50 year Britbong here.

I do recall my mother watching Fanny Craddock doing this sort of stuff but I can't recall eating much.

Oh please . . .you see it's British food and you just have to find a feeble excuse to slate it, Why?

> Potato salad
> FRESH TO THE LAST SLICE
> Salad
> Slice

Wasn't there a series of articles on Cracked a while ago that did exactly that?

>Americans will never stop obsessing over us

I made this once

A combination of obsession and Veeky Forumss overall poor moderation allowing it to run rampant.

Oh, shut up and face the fact that the 20th Century was truly an awful time for food in America because people abandoned traditional cooking for "modern" bullshit invented in some industrial test kitchen to sell more prepared mayo, canned soup, gelatin, frozen vegetables and various "mixes". The entire focus was doing as little actual cooking as possible by relying on prefab ingredients.

The results are some pretty grim shit. Pic related..

To be fair, cheese and pineapple hedgehogs are pretty standard for parties.

>what dustbowl
>what depression
>what world war
>veterans' widows could've cooked fresh homemade meals every day if they'd just slow-cooked their bootstraps

Yes, Ladybird books were made for kids but when I was young, we never used orange it was usually Pineapple or Apple.

Infact Cheddar and Apple are a very good combination and to go one step further try stilton with grapes . . .it's godly.

>shitting on green bean casserole

get the fuck out of here

Like I said, the 20th Century was brutal for food in America. The dustbowl, the depression and WWII were part of it. The rise of industrialized food production, the supermarket, women in the workforce and modern advertising were huge factors as well.

But the results were a whole lot of really awful, degraded foods being normalized as part of our cuisine.

It's trash, just like pic related. And that's the tragedy of 20th Century American cuisine. This kind of garbage not only became normal, but became part of people's family traditions. Which is just plain sad.

but you're just posting the good things that came out of it

like some kind of bait post

oh wait

>the good things
Here (you) go

>(you)

is this some new meme

Agreed. people don't value the aesthetic of party food anymore, or any food at all for that matter.

I say this because since comfort food is alright, but sometimes the requirement is to spruce things up a bit and show off your skill, not to make a brown buffet that caters directly to guests appetite. It's an aged practise but I can see the point of it, and it is good.

I would make the case that the 20th Century degraded our tastes so badly that we actually feel fondness toward a whole bunch of foodgore tier dishes.

how is this any different than a normal hot dog except with a pastry shell instead of a bread roll

I've never been a candied yams person, and while I like green bean casserole it isn't precious to me. But bashing pigs in a blanket is TOO FUCKING FAR.

Rhett and Link did these, I think.

Why do americans put marshmallow on sweet potato? I suppose it's fine as a dessert, but do you honestly eat that as a savoury side?

Clever

It's really interesting to see what half a century of cooking change looks like.

>a simple combination of bread and sausage aka carbs and fat/protein
>food gore
It's b a s i c but it's not foodgore.

It's a matter of how degraded the starting ingredients are.