Lab-grown meat

>lab-grown meat
How soon do you think we'll see it in fast food restaurants?

Other urls found in this thread:

fastcoexist.com/3044572/the-325000-lab-grown-hamburger-now-costs-less-than-12
oregonstate.edu/portland/oregon-state-researchers-discover-unicorn-%E2%80%94-seaweed-tastes-bacon
bigthink.com/ideafeed/answering-how-a-sausage-gets-made-will-be-more-complicated-in-2020
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

hey op gonna borrow your thread,

it's 2am here, anyone know where i can get some good enchiladas right now? if not, i can make my own, but i'd have to run to walmart and have someone suggest an approved recipe

It's gonna be quite awhile. One hamburger made out of the stuff costs thousands to produce.

Would help if you told us where you lived you massive faggot

How would that help nigga

Surely if we were going to recommend a local restaurant serving enchiladas then we'd need to at least know what city he was in

yeah, you can get some good enchiladas at florencios mexican restraunt in merced. Also their molcajete tastes pretty good

fastcoexist.com/3044572/the-325000-lab-grown-hamburger-now-costs-less-than-12

>$80 a kilo for lab grown meat
Not good enough for fast food but as soon as it's cheaper than the real thing McDonalds will be all over it.

About 5 to 10 or so years. Still too expensive to break into the iron grip dollar menu fast food chains have on the public.

It'll show up in fancier restaurants sooner.

On that note, what are everyone's thoughts about it? I've told some people and they think it's disgusting, while others think it's a revolution and the solution to sustainable food from this point on.

I think it's great. If we could create meat without having to raise the animal, we satisfy everyone. Vegans can shut up, Non-Vegans are still happy, food arguments are over and everyone can enjoy whatever they want.

It won't exactly go very far imo unless it manages to be 1:1 in quality and texture and a lot cheaper to regular meat. Minced, alright, that might even out the playing field, but there are so many artificially created "superfoods" that have just never taken off because they were something new and completely unheard of before.
oregonstate.edu/portland/oregon-state-researchers-discover-unicorn-%E2%80%94-seaweed-tastes-bacon
Fucking seaweed that tastes like bacon. But since it came out last year I heard absolutely zero, nada, zilch about it. It's fucking seaweed, you can practically raise it on dirty water. Of course the fuckwits patented the god damn plant instead of making it public domain (like a STATE university should) and now this shit is going to be an unicorn in a lab forever.

Long story short, unless this new meat-manufacture method gets free as in freedom enough so that anyone with the right gear can use it AND it manages to undercut regular meat production AND it equals out on the quality, it will keep being pushed to the sidelines.

seing own people still drop their pants if someone just insinuates that something might have GMOs in them I doubt this will be available anywhere soon

I hope they can get the taste right, apparently tastes awful. But they say they can make poo taste like bananas so ..cmon science :D

>How soon do you think we'll see it in fast food restaurants?

never
it's absurdly expensive to produce

Vegans would still be against it
Vegans do not function based on logic

bigthink.com/ideafeed/answering-how-a-sausage-gets-made-will-be-more-complicated-in-2020

It was $11.36 for a burger in october 2015, down from $250,000 in 2013.

Give it 5 years for them to be introduced to the market and 20 years for it to ovetake standard beef production in terms of sales volume.

when it costs less than 50 cent a patty

About 20 years is my best guess

>20 years for it to ovetake standard beef production in terms of sales volume.
you can't convert farmers into scientists, will take way more time than that to get a change

Its not awful just doesn't have any taste. Even with spices it tastes bland.

i have no problems with the idea whatsoever but it's gonna be a long time til they can fabricate meat with comparable texture and flavour without just blending it with real animal

Dulse seaweed tastes nothing like bacon, that's just something they tell vegan faggots to make them feel included.

No, the one they're cooking up is gene manipulated apparently. It's based off of Dulse seaweed.

Only if it's cheaper.

no, as soon as it becomes twice the price as regular meat vegans and vegetarians will start buying it which will quickly further the research and its availability until it starts fully replacing meat

My guess is at least 15 years.

Once the procedure has been perfected you only need semi skilled technicians in a clean environment.

Scientists are only needed to perfect the technique.

I see it as a feasible alternative to current mass-butchering methods, which are cruel but I tolerate because I enjoy eating meat.

But it will never be superior to farm-raised free-range eats-actual-food animals who are then slaughtered.

>But it will never be superior to farm-raised free-range eats-actual-food animals who are then slaughtered.

I think you're right on that point, but the (eventually) cheaper and substantially more environmentally friendly lab grown meat will ovetake farm raised meat.

>But it will never be superior to farm-raised free-range eats-actual-food animals who are then slaughtered.
You adorable luddite. Focused and specialized mass production always crushes manufacture by hand in every aspect, be it quality or price point. Just depends on what price point they'll be aiming for.

In yer mum's poosy

Should it be cheap for mass consumption or expensive as it's disease free/tested and guilt free for Vegetarians?
Could go either way imo.

10-15 years, probably. As soon as they get the production cost down to the price of cow-grown meat it'll have a market. Taste shouldn't be an issue, and texture is all about the grind. They'll figure it out.

It's just a bit too expensive to be worth it still, except for maybe a few fart-sniffing startups in California or something willing to pay $25/lb for burger just to virtue signal to other faggots on Facebook.

Being able to grow a hamburger on Mars will make the colonies feel more like home.

I concur. Money talks, and I think I can stand to use lab grown mince in my cottage pie if it comes at half the cost and treat porterhouses and shortribs as occasional luxeries.

I don't give a shit until I can get lab grown filet mignon and not ground shit.

Maybe when they can emulate a variety of tastes and textures beyond ''processed meat pattie/hamburger''.

I quite enjoy biting into a nice tender leg of lamb or the crispy skin of a duck leg.

I'd say within our lifetimes we will see it being offered alongside actual meat in grocery stores and restaurants and such

You will still have people who'll refuse to eat something "lab-grown" and "unnatural". Vegans will find something new to bitch about. Ranchers/Meat industry will try their damnedest to de-legitimize or somehow dismantle lab grown meat.

I don't know, there is going to be a slough of problems on all levels, and I don't think it will ever replace meat fully. But I only see positives here. We can reclaim land used for herding/animal raising and build housing or solar panel fields or whatever the fuck in all that space. We won't have to needlessly kill animals anymore. We will have a way to provide good nutrition to poor/needy everywhere for much cheaper. We will have access to fresher, more healthier meat that doesn't have to travel from Oklahoma.

Idk, its the future but its going to take a long time

>If we could create meat without having to raise the animal, we satisfy everyone.

What about people who actually enjoy the cooking process as well. People who can from the catch, kill, skin, debone, etc etc then prepare a tasty meat meal from it?

So were LED tv's a few years ago, you retard. It's almost as if the price of new technology falls as time goes on and the production process is optimized.

We can switch to hunting vegans. They'll never shut up, no matter what.

>raise cow in lab
>wa la lab-grown meat

As soon as it's cheaper than farm raised meat.

There can be both dumbass

I see the situation in which there is the premium higher-priced natural meat and the lab grown meat with a lower price.

eating an actual cow then becoming something special

>Ranchers/Meat industry will try their damnedest to de-legitimize or somehow dismantle lab grown meat.
I'm not sure about that. Perhaps feedlot farmers and the companies and lobby groups that support them because their high density, low quality of life, lower quality product will be squeezed from above and below by cruelty free lab meat with the occasional treat being a quality cut of animal meat. Or maybe not, because their product is actual animal meat and could be marketed as better quality? Ordinary farmers will definitely benefit from an additional quality rung being placed well below them.

I often wonder why they don't just genetically engineer a breed of cow that exists with only a brainstem... No ethical concerns then.

But you can't call yourself a vegan or vegetarian if you eat meat.

Cuilinarily it would qualify as meat and thus not vegan, but if we're talking Star Trek-style replicated meat, then ethically it would not be contrary to veganism (that is, a chunk of artificially grown muscle tissue is not sentient).

You forget that veganism claims causes other than ethics.

the latest lab meat technology takes a ton of cow fetuses to grow so dont get your hopes up about saving any animals

Why do you think it isn't already in fast food?

>wa la

Americans.jpg

it's a meme you melt

No, the Vegan Society defines veganism purely on the basis of ethics. There's also Plant Based Diet which is culinarily the same, but is about health specifically rather than ethics.

>ethics
When Maddox-tier edgelords say this they usually mean "save the sea kittens" stuff

In reality there are excellent arguments for reducing mass-scale meat farming, which have no consideration for the animal's "rights" and which look strictly at what's good for humans.

Now scream PETA at me, since fuck reason and logic

damnit i miss this show.

the logic is I want steak and chicken wings and I don't care if it fucks up the environment cause why should I, peta fag

you are factually wrong, and there are tons of food options that completely disagree with you, including fish.

When you die of a simple bacterial infection that could have been cured but for $0.99/lb meat from walmart, you'll care

Do your parents let you out of the house this late or are you gonna be naughty and sneak out? Tell us, we really want to know.

It'll take one bozo to set this industry off in the near future like Hillary to slap a tax on cows through my climate change nonsense. The tech isn't there yet, but clowns like Al Gore were seriously pushing insect protein as a replacement to meat, so you probably better learn to like the taste of this stuff once it hits super markets.

the US has very restrictive laws for this specific reason bud
this is why people want to live here and not in some shit third-world country where you can get salmonella like nobody's business
in fact of 300 million people food-related complications kill only, I would bet, less than 100 people a year

And those 100 or so are mostly elderly on their way out anyways.

2 million infections and 23,000 deaths every year

That's for the united states

>it's against the law
In Europe, sure

Not in the US

Only if they can synthesize fat with the characteristic tastes of each animal.

the REAL question is, how long will it be until this is applied to ALL animals? right now there are tons of animals like snake, armadillo, and weird shit liek that, that people avoid cuz they're weird or gross. but now if it's lab-grown, you know it won't have leprosy or whatever, so we can expand our dietary horizons without fear of getting the monkey-clap. as well as endangered species that it's just illegal to eat. with this technology, all it would take is a little biopsy.
BONUS ROUND: lab-grown human meat. i wont be happy until i can eat kim kardashian's ass literally. trader joe's will have the celebrity selection of the week. specialty outfits will offer the opportunity to eat yourself, eat your friends, eat your wife and kids. pic just slightly related

forgot my pic

There is so much variety within a species (diet, age, exercise, breed, cut of meat), lab grown armadillo is unlikely to taste anything like wild. Arguably, it's not the same meat at all, since as a consumer you're evaluating the meat by taste, not by genetic sequencing.

Also you are very edgy, how do your teachers handle all that edge.

There's also tons of options that entirely agree with me, such as any industrial mass manufacture of machines in the world. The sheer GDP of every car factory in the world backs my argument, because hand manufacture sucks all of the dicks. Of course this also applies to foodstuffs.

If you've ever had a coke you'll realise that cost wins over taste.

All the raw ingredients that went into making "coke" in its original form lost out to artificial flavours and added sugar.

Similarly even if the people attempting to make lab grown meat cannot reproduce it identically they willl add fat and flavourings to produce a facsimile that outprices proper meat.

>farming will never replace hunted animals
>intensive farming will never replace properly farmed animals
>lab grown meat will never replace intensive farmed animals

People choose based on the time and cost implications and have done throughout all civilised history, you only need create a near enough replacement and offer massive reductions in price for it to take off.

The environmental and humane factors are simply two other massive bonuses.

i just wanna eat myself. it's not right that others should have to suffer for my gain

I would eat a copy of my dick

I think this is an exciting frontier with a lot of promise.

Many cu/ck/s scoff or disregard to overpopulation and sustainability, but it's quickly growing to be a very real issue that needs to be addressed.

Artificial meats and insect proteins have the opportunity to feed and improve the diets of billions.

Are we talking about the beverage or the drug

I would prefer this shit to the glue and sand beef paste they have now.

Not to mention that that lab grown meat uses about 1% of the land, energy and water use that traditional farming uses.

Also has a massive reduction in greenhouse gas releases, methane particularly.

if they could get complete, functioning organs out of it, i imagine the rate of alcoholism and chainsmoking would skyrocket.
>"think of your health" is no longer a valid argument

>Good evening
>Welcome to SoylentButchers, sir. How may I help you?
>I'll have a pound of long pork sausages, one Allison Brie tit, and a half-pound of redhead pubis

>Be multimillionaire
>Drink, eat, fuck and abuse the shit out of my body, without limits, for years
>Body starts to deteriorate
>Call doc, get shipped to clinic
>Get pumped full of morphine
>Nearly all my organs are replaced by shiny, brand new ones
>Body is cleansed of diseases, poisons and fat
>thankstechnology.thxsound
>Wake up, recover, rinse and repeat

I have to get me a few million dollars in the chance this becomes real in my lifetime.

It's funny how so many people's idea of the good live is just to be gluttonous.

Fedora status:
[ ] not tipped
[ ] tipped
[x] FUCKING TIPPED
[x] Tipposaurus rex
[x] The Good, the Bad, and the Euphoric
[x] Adolf Tippler
[x] Tic-Tac-Tipped
[x] Schindler’s Fedora
[x] Euphoric Milk Hotel
[x] Raiders of the Lost Fedora
[x] Tipped Story 3
[x] Euphoric Genesis: Evangelion
[x] Monty Python and the Euphoric Fedora
[x] No Country for Tipped Fedoras
[x] Unreal Tippment
[x] Pokemon Tipped and Silver
[x] Tipped Fortress 2
[x] Euphoria and Prejudice
[x] The Elder Tips: Oblivion
[x] Dwayne “The Fedora” Johnson
[x] Tipping a waiter in 2013
[x] Guitar Atheist 4: Euphoric Tour
[x] Richard Fedorakins
[x] Levitipicus
[x] Legend of Zelda: The Fedora of Time
[x] Using Fedora over Gentoo

Faggot.

Genetic defects/diseases and accidents notwithstanding, what would be the point of an expensive organ overhaul if I were to live a healthy, moderated life?

>Aw yeah, I have functional eternal youth within my reach through wonderful technological advance
>Better eat only steamed chicken breast and vegs with unseasoned brown rice and filtered water

Yes, I would have gluttonous moments, the same way I'd occasionally rent a whole Amsterdam whorehouse for a week and spend seven days having my cock sucked at every waking moment. Or slowly kill a barrel of scotch by myself over a month in a rented mansion on the Scottish Highlands while watching brit comedy shows, and so forth.

>what would be the point of an expensive organ overhaul if I were to live a healthy, moderated life?
This says a lot about your current lifestyle and mentality.

Is the only reason why you aren't pursuing this sort of life due to health reasons? That seems a little absurd - your ideal life is a hedonistic one but you are afraid to pursue it because you want to live a longer moderate life.

Spooked

I did a school project on this one time. They grow the muscle via stem cells, but they didn't grow any fat. It was lean, clearly, but apparently it still tasted good.