How come my chocolate chip cookies always come out tasting pretty bland?

How come my chocolate chip cookies always come out tasting pretty bland?

I soften the butter before I use it, I pack my brown sugar, I chill my dough before cooking, I use every ingredient exactly and yet they never taste quite right.

Does anyone have any childhood recipes or anything? These are the recipes I've tried.
allrecipes.com/recipe/10813/best-chocolate-chip-cookies/
marthastewart.com/344840/soft-and-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies
foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies-recipe.html [pic related, which looks totally different]

I just remember them tasting better when I was a kid, more chocolatey and sugary I guess. And not so rounded.

Other urls found in this thread:

browneyedbaker.com/cooks-illustrated-perfect-chocolate-chip-cookies/
seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/12/the-food-lab-best-chocolate-chip-cookie-recipe.html
browneyedbaker.com/the-famed-neiman-marcus-cookie/
foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-chewy-recipe.html
chefsteps.com/activities/chocolate-chip-cookies
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It sounds like you just grew up and developed a big boy palate.

Don't look back to your childhood nostalgia, there's a whole world of interesting food out there.

ah, I suspected this was the case
oh well

Do you use Vanilla?

I add maple syrup sometimes.

make wholemeal ones with browned butter and dark chocolate

thank me later

Use more butter, better chocolate chips, and more sugar, faggot.

sounds like you need to add some salt or use better vanilla. try chef step's recipe.

You need some white sugar.

you are probably either not using enough sugar or not adding vanilla

I have some batter in my freezer from the first recipe you listed. They always taste great when I make them, I don't even pack the brown sugar. Make sure you chill the dough before baking or they'll end up too flat like yours. I use good vanilla as well.

the recipes OP listed have all of that in them

Try this If that doesn't work then Idk what to tell you. Does the dough taste good? Maybe you overcooked them.

It helps to use plain flour and baking powder separately measured in like the martha stewart recipe, and that your butter is fresh (old butter makes cookies go flat, I dunno why), and that your dough is chilled in the freezer (2-3 hrs) or fridge (overnight) before baking. I find that chilling your dough produces better cookies.

Note that baker's chocolate is different from the commercially made "choc chips", most premade "choc chips" are extremely waxy and contain low chocolate content.

Also, add a pinch of salt if the recipe doesn't call for it - salt enhances the flavours.

This. Whole wheat has more flavor, so will brown butter. Cheap chocolate is mostly sugar and doesn't have much flavor, I'll buy an 85% dark chocolate bar and chop it up instead. Adding a pinch of instant coffee to the dough can make chocolate taste stronger. Also, add more vanilla than what the recipe calls for.

But did you make them with love?

cookies, bleh
biscuits, mmmm

This is the correct answer. Especially the browning of the butter. Follow one of these recipes instead:
browneyedbaker.com/cooks-illustrated-perfect-chocolate-chip-cookies/

seriouseatsrecipe works best for me, if i had a gf shed fuck me for making them

Forgot the other one:
seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/12/the-food-lab-best-chocolate-chip-cookie-recipe.html

chocolate chips have got glycerin added to it for the gooey texture after baking.

Add salt.

must be amurrcan

use salted butter

salt makes everything taste better to a point

this meme has got to end

Try these browneyedbaker.com/the-famed-neiman-marcus-cookie/

I omit the nuts and grated chocolate. The oat flour gives them a great body, chewiness, and more interesting taste. No need to chill dough or anything like that

>links to several recipes
>doesn't link to the original tollhouse chocolate chip cookie recipe

some people are really obsessed with doing things in life every way but the right way.

must be obsession!

Those look overcooked OP. Are you just balling doe onto the pan? Don't try to flatten them any.

foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-chewy-recipe.html
This is my favorite recipe.

they come out perfect every time. I never use another recipe.

Also the peanut butter tip is really good.

chefsteps.com/activities/chocolate-chip-cookies

Use real vanilla extract, not imitation vanilla.
Try sea salt, and a pinch more than the recipe calls for.
If you use nuts, toast them in the oven until they smell good first.

I've read that imitation vanilla is better for cooking because it stands up to heat better, but real vanilla is better if it's not being cooked. Not sure if it's true though.

that sounds like some imitation vanilla propaganda to me.

vanillin is better for things that get really hot like cookies, vanilla is better for things that don't get too hot like cakes and unbaked things.

yeah, nah. this is horseshit

If your chocolate chips are made of real chocolate - i.e. a combination of cacao butter and cacao solids, it should melt in your mouth and give you the gooeyness.

don't be a retard dude.

the argument is just that imitation vanilla is cheaper and thus the frugal cook will use it where real vanilla might lose its advantages of complexity over the fake stuff.

gooey as in the shiny melty goodness when you break a warm cookie in half