Sous Vide Ribs

Pork

Cleaned up, excess fat removed and dat meme brain.

Covered with plastic wrap.
16 hours to go (at 140F).

It'll be our secret thread.

Hope thread doesn't get archived.

Bumping for ribs

Damn, you make me want to go make some slow cooker ribs now. Except I hate making sides. Just the thought of chopping cabbage for cole slaw again has put me off it.

Then make Mac and Cheese and steam some Brussels sprouts. Done.

I want so badly to see how this turns out OP. Good luck if I lose this thread and don't get to see the results. Also what's your temp?

He not only wrote it, but it's viewable in his third image you fcking idiot.

>what's the temp

How are you alive? You're so god damn stupid it's unbelievable

wow rude

Is it done?

OP confirmed dead

Died in a sous vide accident

rip in peace, op

>Sous Vide Ribs
>boiling ribs
>ever
Jesus fuck, why dont you smoke them you retard?

>16 hours

Gotta let the meat absorb all that sweet BPA!

bpa isn't leached at that temp

standard polyethelene material has no BPA

holy shit

>that quick reaction
>that samefagging
I wonder who could be behind this

the jews

SHOW US THE FUCKING RIBS OP

BPA can be leached at any temperature above freezing.

Stretch films, usually made from polyvinyl will usually include BPA though there are no legal mandates to include such information as stretch films do not have to be marketed as a food product or a food storage product. Saran wrap brand does not and has pictures of food on the packaging.. many cling films that do not have food pictures on the box are being marketed as a polyvinyl film and not as a food storage product. so it depends. most ziplock or ziplock style bags are not made from BPA.

However...that assumes that the 150 other chemicals in a plastic are all safe.... which is a fucking stupid idea. SC Johnson literally just lists the formula as SCJ Formula # 35*162 because if they literally listed all the chemicals in it no one would ever buy their products.

Think about that for a moment. Would you eat a food if the ingredient list just said "SCJ Formula # 35*162"? Why would you eat a food that has been wrapped in that and boiled for 16 hours?!?!?!?!

The US procedures for "generally regarded as safe" are some of the most relaxed guidelines in the world. Many countries in the UK will not allow our plastics to be imported there for these reasons.

Boiling food in a bag is the most retarded meme trend there has ever been. If you properly cook something in a traditional fashion with a stove and oven, you will get the exact same, if not better (safer), results.

It's almost as smart as setting up your meat to sit in a wood smoker (also known as a carcinogen) and then broiling it to get that char on it (also known as a carcinogen).

play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Fucking stupid meat heads will be fucking stupid meat heads. No surprises here really.

>known as a carcinogen
If you drink water you are ingesting them too, each time you breathe its the same. If you truly wanted to stay away from carcinogens in this era just shoot yourself, it is inescapable. You militant vegans are the most retarded people in the world.

>BPA can be leached at any temperature above freezing.
In that case we shouldn't use plastic at all, huh.
>Stretch films,
You don't use plastic film in sous-vide cooking.
>However...that assumes that the 150 other chemicals in a plastic are all safe.... which is a fucking stupid idea
As a material engineer...keep wearing your tinfoil hat
>Why would you eat a food that has been wrapped in that and boiled for 16 hours
Boiled...what?
>If you properly cook something in a traditional fashion with a stove and oven, you will get the exact same, if not better (safer), results.
You clearly have never cooked for anyone but yourself.
>play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Fucking stupid meat heads will be fucking stupid meat heads. No surprises here really.
Ah. That explains it. If it makes you feel better I just dropped $300 on a couple racks of ribeyes.

I bet you believe in chem-trails as well?

>If you drink water you are ingesting them too, each time you breathe its the same. If

Right... so we might as well add it to our food sources as well right?

Who said anything about being vegan or even vegetarian.

I eat the hell out of meat.. I just don't boil it in a cancer bag and then treat it like its the only thing thats ever been on the menu.

I hope you don't like bbq because the char and bark is filled with carcinogens too.

You're up on your soap box about this one thing, are you on your soap box about all the other things?

>Who said anything about being vegan or even vegetarian.
>Fucking stupid meat heads will be fucking stupid meat heads. No surprises here really.
So your not a vegan you just act like one?

>hurr durr i am terrified of cancer

life gives you cancer nigga. you can minimise your risk but it will always be there. why should we avoid plastics that aren't regarded as dangerous? what other shit should we avoid just because we don't understand chemistry as well as the people manufacturing them?

why avoid avoidable plastic? And sous vide is just a stupid fad to trick more people into cooking stuff in plastic bags.

50 years ago 1 out of 3 people got cancer in their life times.

Today, 2/3 people get cancer in their lifetime.

Something changed... and a couple of those things are environmental and you can't do anything about it.

Some of them are product BPA related and you can choose not to use those products.. and most people have, and most people don't use that shit because its hard to sell your product if you do... so the market has created a reason for the manufacturer to stop using a material they used for DECADES.

But now they list their materials as licensed and trademarked ingredients so you don't even know whats in it.

The UK forces manufacturers to prove that a material is safe before using it. The US just has to pass the bar of "generally recognized as safe." This is such a low bar that it should be criminal that the law was ever allowed to be written that way - and it has to do with the manufacturing industry and lobbies being in the politicians pockets.

Boiling food in plastic bags is something you can decide not to do.

It's your choice.

It seems like a very simple choice given the delicious alternatives of pan searing and finishing in an oven... or smoking... or low and slow crocking.. or pretty much any other method which, when done correctly, also produces perfectly cooked food.

but hey.. if you wanna be hella meme.. thats up to you. yolo right?

>The UK forces manufacturers to prove that a material is safe before using it.
Well if the UK does something it must be good, I better throw my door open for hundreds of thousands of illiterate and violent muslims and offer my daughter up to them as well. After all, if the UK does it it must be a good idea!

Tell us more about how you know more about plastics than the European Union, Cletus!

>trusting the European Union
>Cletus
How does it feel being a useful idiot?

Not so bad... It can be annoying at times when you try to educate an unthinking proletariat (lead a horse to water) but they won't even do you the favor of considering taking a drink.

But hey.. some people deserve everything they get. Even cancer...

And you deserve to be raped by a muslim, which will likely happen if you actually use terms like "unthinking proletariat" unironically. The EU is a joke and if you knew anything about the history of its inception you would know it was first put forth by dyed in the wool nazis as an overarching control method for Europe.

>The UK forces manufacturers to prove that a material is safe before using it.

yes, and people in the UK, including myself, use sous vide all the time. in BPA free plastics.

you obviously don't really understand the advantages of sous vide and think it's a 'cheat' like many other dunderheads on here, but don't conflate that with your own paranoid bullshit.

I bet you believe in chem-trails as well?

>verifiable historical facts about Nazi plans about a European Union are conspiracy theories now!
The modern mans grasp on historical events never ceases to amaze me.

You use plastics which were approved for use in the European Union...

Not plastics which were made and marketed in the US...

There is a huge difference.

And fine.. even if it's not a cheat.. and even if it won't give you cancer (both of those things are true though) it's still wasteful and slow.. and still produces nothing better than the original methods (when done correctly).

Sous vide is seen as this new hipster thing.. but large manufacturing processes have been controlling heat and temperature dynamics in similar ways for decades to produce things like chef boyardee and chicken in a can... oddly enough you chowder heads haven't made the connection....

its not good food... its food that has been boiled (or simmered) in a bag..

only shit heads eat food like that.

>You use plastics which were approved for use in the European Union...

yes. i don't see why you don't realise this invalidates your whole diatribe about the US. it doesn't apply here.

>it's still wasteful and slow.

energy wasteful? not necessarily.

>and still produces nothing better than the original methods

i'm not going to get into an argument about whether it's 'superior' because that's very complicated and subjectivity plays a part. but it is inarguably more consistent and in the particular case for a restaurant makes a huuuuge difference to scalability.

>Sous vide is seen as this new hipster thing

don't give me that shit. i don't see it that way and if you don't see it that way either why bring it up?

> but large manufacturing processes have been controlling heat and temperature dynamics in similar ways for decades to produce things like chef boyardee and chicken in a can

no shit, they take steps to cook their product the same way every time, that isn't a fucking bad thing. you're just trying to associate the METHOD with the LOW QUALITY PRODUCT it's used for. the method itself is not low quality. it's actually extremely effective. the end goal, of putting pasta in a sterilised and sealed environment for long term storage, is what leads to shitty food, in addition to low cost ingredients.

i also find it funny that you've started shitting out ellipses everywhere. that's the mark of a true crazy about to blow his top.

The fuck are you even talking about.

>and in the particular case for a restaurant makes a huuuuge difference to scalability.

same wth low quality factory food

>. the method itself is not low quality.

the method turns out food that has been boiled in a bag. it's a low quality product.

now.. if you want to pan sear somthing afterwards thats great. but it's not sous vide then. then its pan seared and you could have just done that from the beginning.

take a canned chicken and sear it though.. and its still a boiled chicken thats been seared.

face it you sous vide method is shit

i like that you've started shitting out personal attacks.. its the true sign that someone can't handle the ellipses of truth........

>same wth low quality factory food

not disputing that, but correlation is not causation, apply reason.

>the method turns out food that has been boiled in a bag

so firstly, it's not boiling. no boiling occurs anywhere in the process. secondly, even if it were at a boiling temperature, the ingredient is not exposed to the water. water is a heat source in sous vide cooking. it doesn't actually touch the ingredient.

>it's a low quality product.

why is it a low quality product?

>now.. if you want to pan sear somthing afterwards thats great. but it's not sous vide then. then its pan seared and you could have just done that from the beginning.

you couldn't necessarily have just done that from the beginning. pan searing is an ineffective method for cooking something evenly. it's very effective for browning the surface, but not for cooking it all the way through. sous vide is about focussing on reaching a specific temperature in the ingredient for any given length of time. i hope you can see that there are a variety of contexts where one or the other or a combination of the two will be appropriate.

>take a canned chicken and sear it though.. and its still a boiled chicken thats been seared.

canned chickens are effectively pressure cooked so they're rather different to a chicken that is cooked sous vide. but yeah, i would definitely advocate improving a canned chicken by searing or deep frying it.

>food that has been boiled in a bag
Are you just too dumb to adjust to new, superior cooking methods?

Is this because you're mad sous-vide costs $300? You realize you can easily replicate the sous-vide method with a pot on the stove, right?

Jesus the amount of cancer ITT

Get a coke and a tin foil hat and shut the fuck up. This thread is clearly for sous vide enthusiasts and not a debate on the value of said activity.

you uh.. know that Seal-a-meal and food saver plastics, widely used for vacuum sealing in sous vide is BPA free right? Also you know Souse vide isn't boiling right? And you know a legit sous vide set up doesn't include any plastic wrap right? I guess you obviously didn't.

so... where dem ribs at?

Oops.
Expected the thread to just drop off board.
They came off yesterday afternoon and went into the refrigerator.
Cut them into riblettes earlier and fried them at 365F for 3 or 4 minutes and tossed in some asiany sauce. Peanuts and green onion.
Pretty good.

Just let the wrong people be wrong, IMHO. We know it's not boiling, or even simmering water.
SC Johnson has said that their FREEZER Ziploc (not the regular ones) are safe at high temps. I mean, they could be lying, I guess, but that could make for one hell of a lawsuit so I doubt they'd risk it.
Regardless, I've (probably you've too) put a lot of poison in my body already. Factory fumes, car exhaust, paint, alcohol, chem trails, etc.

Yet smoked ribs will always be better.

I'm glad you're alive OP, and those look pretty amazing

I'm smoking some St. Louis ribs tomorrow. Weber Smokey Mountain. White Oak on lump Mesquite. Might take pics and add here if the thread is still up.
Better?
I don't know, I sometimes really just don't want smoke flavor. Smoked pork ribs are really fucking good, though.

I prayed for your safety op and the good lord has answered. May you be blessed and prosperous on this sacred day

thx!

>sous-vide costs $300?
Hey hey hey, now... Let's not get all hyperbolic here. They're $200.
>easily replicate the sous-vide method with a pot on the stove
I wouldn't call it "easy". A dedicated machine makes it easy. The first time I did it I used a stovetop just to see if it was worth it. I used the lowest setting on a gas flame and had to add 10 ice cubes every 15 minutes or so to regulate 125F (or something close to that temp). Not hard, but I did have to monitor it.
Obviously I'm not really arguing with you, just making some chat for the lurkers. And I don't feel like replying to the tard.

>Is this because you're mad sous-vide costs $300?

i have millions of dollars, the cost of things usually doesn't bother me. I do hate to see people wasting their own hard earned money when there are cheaper (and better) alternatives.

>you uh.. know that Seal-a-meal and food saver plastics, widely used for vacuum sealing in sous vide is BPA free right? Also you know Souse vide isn't boiling right? And you know a legit sous vide set up doesn't include any plastic wrap right? I guess you obviously didn't.

i knew people would say all of these things and more when i made my earlier posts. Some are correct some aren't. not all plastic bags are bpa free.. and bpa free still doesn't exactly mean that its safe. all plastic film materials have to include plastic softners which is a wide range of chemicals that can cause cancer - and the companies don't have to tell you what their bags are made of... and most won't.

sous vide cooking at 212 degrees is in fact boiling in a bag.. and could be even lower temperatures if pressure is reduced. you can sous vide at any temp between freezing and boiling, and if you introduce pressure you can go to a wider range than that. just because some/most recipes call for lower temps doesn't mean that sous vide is categorically NOT boiling in a bag. in fact in restaurants where time is important boiling for an exact amount of time is more common than lower temperatures for longer amounts of time. these same chefs used to cook meats in ovens at 325 and get amazing results... why would they lower their temp below the fastest possible option if they were getting perfect results earlier with 325???

i still think you people are fucking retarded for adopting commercial poison food preparation in your own homes when the home method has been preferable to the factory method at all points in time since the invention of those factory methods.

This is for autistic people who can't handle tiny variation in results.

let's see your smoke ring

oh wait- it doesn't exist because you used your meme cooking without smoke to make a smoked food.

>meme cooking without smoke to make a smoked food.
Illiteracy, the post.

Okay.

It'll be late tomorrow night probably.
Not hard to get a ring. Like I said, Mesquite lump with smoke from White Oak.
Any amateur can do it. Not sure what you're on about "meme cooking without smoke to make smoked food".

>Not hard to get a ring.
I'm kind of torn about a couple things, if there's a smoker around. I've left the membrane on during a smoke and still saw a pink ring from the underside. I wonder a little how important it is to remove.
Obviously, it's chewy shit and should be removed, but it pulls off really easy after a cook.
I'm also torn about brining. I salted the ribs I'm gonna cook tomorrow and wrapped in plastic.

>i have millions of dollars,
pretty much what everyone expected, sir.
>sous vide cooking at 212 degrees is in fact boiling in a bag
Yes sir, as you say. Great point. You couldn't be more right, sir. That is precisely how sous vide is done. Boiling. Can't argue with it. It's truth, duh.
No reason to keep posting here, chef. You've pretty much made it clear that you are scientifically correct.
Godspeed.

People live on average 10 years more and cancer is more likely the older you get. Clearly, BPAs are to blame.

It will reduce smoke penetration of that side, although this is only a small amount. The real problem is that it doesnt allow for any rub penetration and very little salt penetration as well. Personally I dont brine my ribs, I do however dry brine them starting the day before then put my rub on the morning of the smoke, just make sure the rub has no salt.

>pretty much what everyone expected, sir.

I am a pretty normal guy.. fairly predictable most of the time. You got me...

>That is precisely how sous vide is done.

Indeed it is. Glad we can agree on that.

pic rel, I had some sous vide tea earlier today.. it was glorious.

50 years ago people died from ancillary effects of cancer, we just didn't know that was the case, now that we know we can diagnose and say that it is definitively cancer. Same goes for birth diseases. The two time periods are vastly different in the medical knowledge we have to go on, so your argument is as invalid as climate deniers. Enjoy your antiquated science.

>I do however dry brine them starting the day before
are you me?
That's actually what I did.

Not entirely sold on the lump charcoal,
Briquettes seem to heat more evenly.
But that's what I had.

Oak.
I kinda lost time after this.
I mean I was just too busy to take pics.

was the baby backs,
The St. Louis, I just didn't photo when they went on, but this is them after some time. Mustard sauce. Not a great pic.

Another not so good pic.
You can see the pink in it, but didn't have a solid ring like, I was having problems with the temp of the smoker. It was ~200F and I couldn't get it to rise. The smoke flavor was there.

The baby backs.

The funny is that I was making these for people who ate MAYBE three racks total. Smoked six Saint Lotus and six Babby Backs. 20 ppl. Got some leftovers.
Used mustardque sauce on the St Louis and ketchupque on the babby butts.

This would be sous vide if you placed the tea bags in a ziploc bag with some water, and then put that plastic bag in a "bath" for X amount of time. Then you could say something about how you used a low temp to extract the best flavor from the tea bag.
I guess what I'm saying is, put more effort into your trolls. Veeky Forums is easy sauce. You could do better.

I find it easier to use a large volume of water in a stock pot and keep the lid on so the heat doesn't escape. Every 15 minutes add a splash of hot water from the kettle to bring it up a little or turn on the heat. More effective than having the heat on the entire time

Sure.
And maybe using a thermo cooler (heater in this case) would be more efficient too.
I'd probably give that opposite method a try, but I bought so ...
And when doing something for 16 hours...
Totally fine for steaks and fish though.

no..if you think about it this is the best way to sous vide tea.. you avoid all the plastic chemicals and you need to flavor the water anyway.

i'm sure it's sous vide.. this method was taught to me by a french chef.. he called it "short cut sous vide tea." so.. it has to be sous vide.

Things have changed, but you can't account for the full rise in cancer with the differences you've brought up. People are getting cancer at younger and younger ages and the identification of certain types of cancer hasn't changed... both age and easily detectable cancers have increased.

The science is in agreement that our world has more carcinogens in it than ever before.

Why boil your food in a cancer bag if you can cook it more efficiently and cleanly in a different way that produces better results?

in ziplock bags it doesn't breakdown enough to leech bpa until about 190F

You know there's much worse stuff coming out of mistreated/old pans that you're consuming every day? Everytime you go to a restaurant, there's a good chance particles of feces and mold have landed on your food before it gets to your table. There's also the possibility that the food is improperly prepared, or at worst, has already gone bad.

Despite this, you choose to complain about sous-vide cooking, typing paragraphs that no one's going to read. NEWS FLASH: NO ONE FUCKING CARES. So will you please stop posting in literally every fucking thread that has to do with meat or sous-vide?

People like you don't deserve the free time to be shitposting like this every day. Someday your parents will stop supporting you, and you'll be at McDonalds making fries instead of shitposting about BPA on Veeky Forums

This is the saltiest I've ever seen someone who isn't able to afford a sous-vide machine. Keep educating yourself on the "carginogens" of the world, I'm sure it'll help when you're working at the clinic. Oh wait nvm you work at McDonalds xD

>Why boil your food in a cancer bag if you can cook it more efficiently and cleanly in a different way that produces better results?
You clearly don't know how to cook and have never cooked for someone other than yourself. Stop acting like you know stuff, you don't.

99% sure this is bait but cancer is only getting more prevalent NOW because people were dying for other reasons before the cancer got to them. people nowadays are so much better off than before, so while cancer death rates may be rising, the death rates for so many other diseases went wayyy down. When's the last time you heard of someone dying from polio?

also we didn't have the technology to identify cancer until recently so you really can't make any comparisons to different times. cancer numbers increased the same way crime incident reports have increased: there aren't actually more cases than before, just more people reporting and getting diagnosed (good thing)

so basically you're retarded and should stop thinking big corporations are out to get you. Hate to break it to you but you're not a special snowflake that anyone cares about, and your BPA knowledge is wikipedia level at best.

t. materials engineer

>sous vide cooking at 212 degrees is in fact boiling in a bag.
I've been using my sous vide setup for years now. Never once have I used it at a temperature even close to 212 degrees. In fact I've never seen a sous vide recipe that calls for such a high temp.
> just because some/most recipes call for lower temps doesn't mean that sous vide is categorically NOT boiling in a bag.
>categorically
kek. You're so desperate to use the pejorative "boiling" every chance you get that you resort to shit like that as justification. Feel free to keep using it if it makes you feel like you're making a stronger point, however all you're doing is destroying any credibility your arguments may have and making yourself sound ignorant.
> why would they lower their temp below the fastest possible option if they were getting perfect results earlier with 325???
Because they weren't perfect results every time. Consistency is the best part about cooking sous vide.
>commercial poison food preparation
[citation needed]
>This is for autistic people who can't handle tiny variation in results.
There are actually some incredible things you can do with sous vide that are simply impossible via other methods. 72 hour short ribs are the first thing that come to mind simply because they are so damn decadent, but there are many others.