Not eating $70/lb mushrooms

>not eating $70/lb mushrooms
Am I the only one that thinks this is meme tier food?

Judging by those two products, that is the meme food store.

Its my closest HEB to where I live. Although I do notice a lot of guys with beards with pipes hanging out of their pocket T's. Also their is never any open spots in the bike rack. Never really thought of it before.

>HEB
What is this? Hipsters Eating Buttholes?

You know I don't have a problem with poor people (because I'm poor myself) and I don't have a problem with people who have food preferences but really user categorizing mushrooms as a meme food is simplistic and stupid.

You can inoculate just about anywhere and it's dirt cheap. Like chill.

Texas based grocery chain that is pretty awesome actually. One of the largest privately owned companies in the US and pretty decent to work for.

This
Great produce and prices. Only place I shop for groceries. Fuck whole foods.

Howard E. Butt
Not joking.

goodjob

These nauseating bastards grow in my fucking yard and the ditches along my local streets. What makes them worth $70/lb? They're nearly flavorless, have a gross texture compared to most mushrooms, and you have to cook the fuck out of them or they give you a stomach ache. Meme tier? They're fucking garbage tier.

Were you hanging around in the green aisle? I have never seen prices that big in the produce area

>$70/lb for a fungus I can literally drive half an hour to the woods to get
I wasn't aware those little things cost so fucking much. I feel like i'm missing something here, they grow all over the fucking place around here.
Is it just the region they're selling them in?

Kinda tempted to buy some because my mushrooming ventures have always proven fruitless.

Morels grow all over the place but it would be hard to make a living harvesting them I think. Besides a lot of people are very wary of mushroom hunting. When I was a kid we had a patch of them every year in our back yard but my mother forbade anyone from eating them even though they were delicious :^)

Granddad brought home 2 pounds of free ones and grandma wouldn't let him eat them or share them with the family.

People don't trust mushrooms even more than they dont trust wild berries

>Is it just the region they're selling them in?

Yep. You can make a ton of money foraging for fungi and selling them in the right places.

It's little different from fish, really: the price jumps up considerably once you leave the dock and travel further inland. I used to live in Kemah, TX. I'd pay $4/lb for jumbo shrimp--still alive and kicking right off the boats. In Austin those same shrimp (no longer alive) would be $20/lb.

I can sort of understand that. Theres some mushrooms out there that can really fuck you up.

>Theres some mushrooms out there that can really fuck you up.

Yeah, but how on earth are you going to confuse those with a Morel? Don't get me wrong--I know there are some mushrooms which can look very similar to toxic ones. But Morels? Those don't look anything even close to toxic species.

Blame Larry "Tree" Lonik for this

I know its a thing to pick these in Indiana. I'm down in South Texas at the moment and my gf is from up in the Midwest. She was so amped when she saw them she bought the whole basket.

>tfw they scan $156.25 worth of fungi to your grocery bill.

She made some later that night. They were alright but nothing mind blowing. I just don't get $70/lb. I have a pound and a half left and no fucking idea what to do with them.

this time of year just go out into the woods and pick some morels

bread and fry

people at least in america don't eat a whole lot of variety of mushrooms. you got crimini, portobello, and then a few more exotic ones like shitaki and a few different chinese ones like oyster and wood ear, so a lot of people are only familiar with those varieties. Then you hear that a lot of wild mushrooms are poisonous and you begin to assume that if you can't find it in a supermarket the reason is that they will kill you. Besides, morels are slightly toxic unless cooked and that's enough to get some people to never try those delicious little bastards fried in a little butter

>not picking pounds of morels for free
ISHYGDDT

Actually, I can name at least 4 toxic species that are fairly easily mistaken for morels. You'd still have to be a yard to do so though.

Man those things look gross as fuck.

>Actually, I can name at least 4 toxic species

Please do! I'm always happy to learn more about this.

I'm with this guy. I tried to cook them once. Read you have to soak them in salt water to get all the maggots out. There were so many maggots.
So many

well first off there is the "false morel" which looks nothing like a morel to me and since this is mistaken for morels enough to have it in the fucking name I would be surprised if you managed to fuck up the identification of the other 3 that guy is talking about

>What makes them worth $70/lb?

Originally it was the the fact they couldn't be farm-raised. No one had a reliable method to mass-produce them, so every one you saw had been hand-picked in the wild by a hillbilly that guards his patch with a shotgun.

They finally figured out cultivation 'em like any other mushroom. They remained super expensive because memes and people dumb enough to pay for them. Same with $9/gal "organic milk."

Yep. They're often fucking crawling with beetle larva.

>expensive mushrooms make me angry

Like Verpa bohemica

>I live in South Texas
They don't grow here chief