How do you eat one of these things?

How do you eat one of these things?

You peel the leaves off then eat the center

eat the soft parts and swallow the stringy stuff that you find inside in one big gulp

I thought so too but the center is all this fibrous hair-looking stuff.

that's the best part

You scrape of the meat at the end of each leaf with your teeth, and when the leaves get too small you pull the whole top off. Then use a knife to cut out the stringy part all in one piece, leaving you with the heart, which is all good meat.

As someone who lives in a major artichoke growing area, I'll give you the easiest way to enjoy them.
>use kitchen shears to snip the tips off the outside leaves
>if it has a sizeable stem, DO NOT cut it off, just peel it. The stem is just as tender inside as the heart.
>wash it well under running water
>make a steamer for it (steamer basket over a pot of water with a tight fitting lid, and add a cut up lemon to the steaming water, and some garlic if you like)
>steam the artichokes until you can easily pierce into the heart from the bottom with a sharp knife. It takes awhile, don't be impatient.
>Meanwhile, clarify some butter and add some lemon zest to it.
>Place steamed artichokes on a platter, have a bowl ready for the trash
>Once cool enough to handle, peel the leaves, dip in butter, and scrape the meat on the leaves off with your teeth
>Once you get down to the heart, you have to pull the sharp little leaves off, and then scrape out the "choke" (a grapefruit spoon is PERFECT for this)
>Then you're left with the heart and stem, which you should liberally dip in the leftover lemon butter, sprinkle with a little salt, and enjoy the tender, lemony, final reward of your endeavor.

There's lots of other great ways to prepare them as well, but this is simple and good for newbs.

Pull off leaves and dip meaty part in melted butta. Heart is good and also sometimes the stem.

I boiled, then baked it, scooping the choke out in between and then filled the center with a mixture of cream cheese, mushrooms, and thyme, and drizzled the outside leaves with olive oil and lemon juice.

where is the heart?! is it under the choke? I can't find it.

Yup, under the choke.

Post a pic. It's the pointy thing under leaves. You probably gutted it.

I think I probably did. the recipe I followed wasn't as specific as you guys were. fml

>where is the heart?!

The heart is basically the only part you eat, as the outer leaves grow out of it and have good stuff at their base.

I just buy them in jars from Costco.

Fuck that dude fresh artichokes taste so much better than the canned and jarred ones

What. The. Fuck.

Dude, you murdered your artichokes.

with mayo. lots and lots of mayo

Dip the leaves in mayonnaise and eat them.

1. Cook in salted water for like half an hour
2. Let cool a bit
3. Prepare a little bowl with lemon juice and a splash of oil
4. Take a leaf and dip the bottom on the lemon juice, then scrape off the meaty part with your teeth
5. Do the same with the rest of the leaves
6. Once you're out of leaves, remove the white hairs in the middle
7. Dip the whole heart in the lemon and eat it all at once
8. Experience the strongest culinary orgasm of your life

>dip in butter
>dip in mayo

Fucking disgusting

My go-to artichoke dipping sauce is mayo mixed with red wine vinegar and a little Tabasco.