This used to be my home board but I haven't come here in awhile so I don't know how the discussion topics really go...

This used to be my home board but I haven't come here in awhile so I don't know how the discussion topics really go anymore, forgive me in advance.

I want to know what you guys think of some day robots taking over the fast food industry as opposed to having humans doing it. Eventually we'll get to that right? I say this as a service industry worker.

My friend told me that wanting this environment would fall into a category called "techno anarchist" where all physical jobs would be preformed by robots/drones/what have you and the humans could live in a utopia at home.

There are already places where you use some kind of kiosk to order food and then someone (a person) makes it in the back and it's delivered to you.
Also in South Korea they have stores that have touch screens for items and when you leave get a basket of groceries. Obviously, there are still people moving products, but that's pretty advanced and cuts down on theft by a great deal I'm sure.

So would you guys be okay with going to places where a machine being operated by a person somewhere else, made your food after you pushed some buttons at a counter?

If anything I think the service sectors are the last to get robotized, not because you can't do it, but because there's a premium value associated with human contact. Take Japan for instance, heavily automated society, but damned if they don't hire a lot of people for their fast food places. Same with the US, there's often no point in having cashiers from a functional point of view, but they're good for business appeal.

Fast food "cooks" basically are robots already, so I don't see why it wouldn't be fine. They'd still need to hire technicians to make sure everything is running smoothly, and it wouldn't work in a real restaurant where people actually cook.

>This used to be my home board but I haven't come here in awhile so I don't know how the discussion topics really go anymore
>fast food
You haven't missed a thing.

Most of our food is already pretty much machine made. livestock is raised, slaughtered and processed in a highly automated system. Many of our crops are sown and harvested by machine. Nearly everything in the supermarket has been industrially processed. What's the big deal about automating the assembly process when it comes to fast food? It's trash anyways, and it's not like the folks working there are making a career out of it.

Eventually, almost every industry will be automated. The current model of "everyone needs to have a job" is already somewhat anachronistic and will be come moreso as we're able to automate more jobs.

>Fast food "cooks" basically are robots already
nope, they´re not. most of them are absolute idiots who wouldn´t get the most simple things right even if they tried. i know what i´m talking about, i work part time at McD

It'd definitely be a good thing. It cuts down on errors, as you won't have the cashier/waitress relaying information wrong. there would be no one to blame but the cook/ burger flipper, meaning some fucking responsibility would be taken for once.

This sounds good. I'd be willing to bet a technician would still be cheaper than actual employees, as i've known some who just travels from one job to the next, servicing 5 or 6 computer in a day.

I meant robots in the sense the the few actions they have to do to actually put the food together are so simple that they could easily be automated

its gotten a lot faster

This is true. I have allergies and constantly have to throw away fast food items because they wind up putting something on them I specifically (and politely) asked them not to.

Like, I'm not trying to be an asshole, I'll suck it up and eat something that has a condiment I don't like or whatever, but if it's gonna make me break out in hives and throw up, there's not much I can do there.

How is it this hard to just not put mayo on a sandwich?

To be fair, half of that is "'co 'za" shitposting and other unfunny, autistic bullshit.

and weed is becoming more legalized, meaning even MORE stoners attempting to comprehend your order.

Op here. Hey fuck you man. I smoke erry day and I get my orders right. Granted, I'm working a fast casual place, and I have to remember recipes properly. But if something comes in modded so to speak - we take it off the burger or salad or what have you.

As in you don't want avocado on your salad? or sandwich? We don't put it on there and if you see someone do that, you correct them and you make them make it again.

Rarely ever do we get complaints from customers. And our tips are really fucking good.

Are you talking about smoking in general, or smoking while working? I don't care if you smoke on your own time, as long as you're not stoned, staring at the receipt, trying to figure out how to take away onions from a McDouble.

Yeah? Seems that way, right? I mean, fucking ATMs instead of going into a bank... no more movie rental places. Coke machines are getting more compact. Everything is becoming smaller and more automated.

It's not like there would be zero jobs in this scenario though. You have to have someone at some point operating the machine. but if you can just let the machines run on their own, I assume you have little work to do as a person. Make the bot make the burger. Make sure the bot doesn't break down. There ya go. That's it.

>there's a premium value associated with human contact
As someone with a full time job where I constantly interact with people, I often wish that the environment in which I am in contact with people was in a VERY different setting.
As opposed to always having the same conversation with who ever walks up to the counter. Granted, sometimes you'll get a story about how the guy went on vacation or some lady will be having a hectic day where her car broke down and she wants some fries to eat while she waits on a mechanic. But usually it's just "So that's two cheesey burgers and one large fry? That'll be 25.50 Did you want order for here or to go? Can I get your name for the order?"

That's not human contact to me. I'd rather have a deep intellectual conversation with someone who wants to have it. Not boring small talk that everyone has with each other because that's the international sign for "I'm a human, I speak words"

If anything, we'd need the human employees around for a little while, just in case the machines crash. Just like how we still have actual librarians, even though most libraries are completely automated when it comes to borrowing and returning books.

It shouldn´t be allowed for fast food places to hire people full time. If someone´s too stupid to get a real job, than that person should not be allowed to live and breed. Fast food should only be allowed in part time for people who still go to school or need to make some bucks on the side

>than
fuck, i edited the sentence too heavily. should have been then

stop smoking weed retard, you're deteriorating your brain

Ha. I agree with you. The new guy where I work smokes on his breaks and he'll roam around the restaurant sometimes, trying to chat with people who are trying to clean things/get prep done. It's fairly irritating but he never has issues with the customers.

the old dishwasher (before he got fired) would do fucking dabs in the parking lot and would often waste food because he'd get so many orders wrong. he was a really good sport about it though, and didn't throw a fit when he fucked stuff up. I wish he'd shown up to work more often, he was a nice guy.

The restaurant I work for is expanding wildly locally, so they're not hurting on money at all. Not only that but all our fried stuff is sooo cheap. We can spare to drop too many fries sometimes. Not only that but we drink more coffee than the customers. It's pretty much our coffee.

The only time we really run out of stuff is when crazy catering orders pop up out of nowhere and some lady wants to buy her son's basketball team a ton of fucking burgers.

I'm rambling but to ease your mind, I've been high at work a few times, but usually because I had taken an edible the night before (sleep like a baby) and they tend to last a little after I wake up so the first hour of my shift I'm a bit foggy, but my job is mainly to stand around and make sure the younguns don't burn themselves using the grill and they actually clean all the things I asked them to.

>stop smoking weed
but i don´t
>captcha: select all images with sandwiches
so, a burger is a sandwich it seems

I live in a city that is literally MOSTLY restaurants. The only other jobs here are like, being a doctor, which lots of people are still in school for because that takes like decades of fucking schooling - lawyering, and then you're a fucking lawyer... or like retail or being a nurse or some school degree job where you pretty much PAY to get a job. Not to mention being debt forever. But it's okay, you'll pay most of it off and still be $33,000 in debt.

You're not being very realistic.
I once signed up for a grant to go to a community college where I live. After all the stuff the grant would cover - it didn't cover tuition which was like $1,000 something a month. I live in a large city and rent is constantly sky rocketing. If I was paying a grand to go to school once a month, I would not be able to afford my rent. It's why a lot of people are homeless where I live. They can't pay their rent and now they have no where to go. Not to mention I'd have to work part time while going to school because there are only so many hours in a week. If I work part time I make less. And when I work full time, I don't really have time to go to school and when I say full time, I mean working ALL day. From 8am to 9pm. There are managers where I work that go from like 6am to midnight at one of our other locations.

Inb4 "what about you being unrealistic with your robots"
Fucking apple pay and the new samsung phone that lets you scan a cashiers keypad and pretty much scans the item and pays for the item so that you are DOING THE CASHIERS JOB FOR THEM. WE DON'T EVEN NEED CASHIERS EVERYONE CAN JUST DO THIS THEMSELVES.

then what is it if its not a sandwich?

>inb4 its a burger not a sandwich

yeah and clubs are clubs not sandwiches and you only get subs a subway they don't serve sandwiches

thats cool. I work at a small town fish fry and bbq place, and whenever i work BOH, i might come in a little high from the night before. those edibles are fucking hard to control sometimes, and i'll add the cannabis sriracha sauce i bought to all my food.

but teenage potheads shouldn't smoke and work at all, as they're already pretty useless sober.

>but teenage potheads shouldn't smoke and work at all, as they're already pretty useless sober.
Yeah, I agree with you completely.

>utopia

no rofl, all the dividends of automation will go to the wealthy. The people who used to have these jobs will starve to death or riot in the streets. The experience to the customer will be almost identical or objectively worse for some, since a lot of people seem to get fast food just to have a chance to talk to someone. By the way, you'll still get robots fucking up your order because they won't understand your fat fucking jowls saying the name of the item incorrectly and your inability or laziness to read the order screen and make sure your order is actually fucking right.

What would be great is if a robot would take the customer complaints, since you're pretty much acting robotic every time a customer calls. (Oh, we messed up 30 cents worth of food on your order? I'm so sorry, customer acting like I just murdered your dog and shit on your child's face. Come on down and we'll remake your order for you for free, no questions asked, or give you a refund. I'm sorry we messed up your shit tier food you ordered because you don't want to cook for your family for once in your miserable life. You want the refund over the phone? I'm sorry, sir, we can't do that... You want to speak to my manager? Alright, ma'am, they're just going to tell you what I just told you. Have a nice day and I'm so sorry I killed your dog.)

I'm never working fast food again after I get out. Let automation take over. These are shit tier jobs and it's a shit tier industry staffed by shit tier people, serving shit tier people. American demand for fast food is disgusting.

Well, eventually there will be almost zero jobs. Some factories are already almost entirely automated, that's only going to become more common. We're working on self-driving cars, that technology will likely eventually be applied to agriculture, as well as a ton of other fields. AI is becoming more and more advanced, almost at an exponential rate.

We will eventually get to a point where there are very few jobs left that need humans to do them. It'll be interesting what happens then, because we can't just have 90% of the population not making money, because then all the companies that make things go bankrupt too because no one can buy what they produce.

We are headed for a massive paradigm shift within the next few hundred years.

There won't be a "wealthy" if 90% of people don't have jobs. How can you make money if no one can buy what you produce?

>I'm never working fast food again after I get out
me too, man

I agree with every word.

Also, this has to be the best thread on Veeky Forums this month.

>The people who used to have these jobs will starve to death or riot in the streets.
No, I've seen what happens to people who riot in the streets. They tend to cause their own ends. What did rioting against the cops do two years ago? Fucking nothing. Cops still do what they do and they still riot in the streets from time to time.

Also who said you'd be speaking to a robot? You push buttons, you touch a touch screen. Have you used technology recently? It's nothing to be afraid of man.

Your second paragraph is in agreement with me and all the more reason to not have humans interacting because I've had minimum wage service jobs where people were getting ready to cry cause I put a tomato on their sandwich after I misheard them say they wanted tomatoes and all of a sudden they didn't. I had some asshole bring a sandwich back to me, because I cut it diagonally instead of straight down the middle because quote "it fell apart and I couldn't eat it, it was messy, you gotta make it again."
I'd love to never have that experience again - and for other people to not endure that shit day after miserable day.

Shit, what if we could get rid of those fucking factories in China some day?

And why does everyone think the poor people will be the ones to go down the drain and the rich will just benefit from this. Who would you even being paying at that point? Who are we gonna pay to have robots working? The point is to get somewhere that we don't have to do anything and robots just do it for us. Pretty soon there wouldn't be a need for money.

People could focus more on how to preserve resources instead of it getting shadowed by elections and silly politicking shit.

The only people who are gonna get left behind are the ones who are deathly afraid of technology. People who still use fucking flip phones in 2016. People who still pay like $40 a month for crappy cable TV.
Everyone else will adapt.

you almost had a point, if it wasn't for the fact that you're blaming everyone but yourself for mistakes made on peoples order. It is a shit-tier industry, and i do often order fast food if i'm lazy or too busy to cook. But i'm paying your company to make my food. The least you can do is not fuck it up. a few mistakes are expected, but they are your mistakes, not ours.

theres a jack-in-the-box drive thru near me that fucks up my order 9 times out of 10. now when i order, i will refuse to move my car to their designated parking space for drive thru orders. I will wait right there in line, and check every burger to make sure it is made right. if it's not (and it's usually not) i will make the manager come out personally to fix it.

I've seen the place go through more employees than i'd care to count. whether it's because of complaints or they just quit out of frustration is unknown to me.

Why not just not go to that jack in the box then?
I once went to a Wendy's and asked for no sauce on my burger and forgot to check and when I got home there was only meat patty in the box with some veggies.
I'm sure my order just got mixed up with someone else's but I just didn't go there anymore.

Unionization will happen and either exert so much force that they will keep their jobs or these people will be bought out of their jobs with a yearly stipend which will serve to keep these companies recycling their own money back into themselves. Either way the whole system will come crashing down and there will be a deep economic depression, that will give way to a fundamental shift in government policy and business practice.

>I'd rather have a deep intellectual conversation with someone
kek fuck off back to Veeky Forums you fedora

>flag
>fedora
hmmmm.... also can you still be a fedora if you're a 28 year old woman?

>Either way the whole system will come crashing down and there will be a deep economic depression, that will give way to a fundamental shift in government policy and business practice.
Nice. This is exactly what I want to hear.

Unionization will keep people employed for a time. It won't last. Sooner or later, technology will take over. They'd be fighting against the tide, the more technology progresses, the less reason companies would have to keep them around.

I think eventually we'll get to a point where either currency will become obsolete, or we'll just start paying people a salary for being citizens or something.

The only question then becomes how very wealthy people adapt. A lot of rich people make money not because they need more money (if you're a billionaire, you can already afford pretty much whatever you want, there isn't much more you could buy with 2 billion that you couldn't buying with 1 billion), but because they want to "win". They see life as a game and the way to win is to get the high score (ie. biggest numbers next to their name). How are people like that going to react when currency is no longer a measure of one's "success"?

That doesn't make sense to me. There is nothing wrong with the menu, and nothing wrong with the company as a whole. It is the people there that constantly fuck up. I could, in theory, go to another jack-in-the-box a couple miles away, or i could demand the one nearby to give me the food that i paid for.

for the record, i'm not talking about "putting cheese or ketchup on my burger when i said not to", i'm talking about missing food items. And when i carpool with my coworkers, i'll be damned if only half of us are going to eat because of some shit-tier service.

The service industry will survive, it will just evolve. Automation will make fast food infinitely better, and those high school kids who want a first job will have plenty of other opportunities. Experienced (or at least good) Service industry workers will always be needed on cruises and in non-fast restaurants because people value human interaction and good customer service in these industries.

All of this automation means that
A) more factory and industrial jobs will be created
B) more technical jobs will be created
C) more energy jobs will be created (it will take a ton of energy just to manufacture an automated McD's, just like making a Tesla produces more carbon footprint than a gasoline engine makes in its lifetime)
D ) Less people will be earning minimum wage, meaning the average income will increase
E) If American companies jump on the automation trend and lead in quality, then we will have a new export, raising our GDP.

D) High school kids might have to do the work that illegal immigrants are happily doing, and high school kids might suddenly not be huge pansies when it comes to work.

You're correct, it's more of a power struggle than the actual need for more money. The rich would be in control of the financing and manufacture of this technology, which still enables them to own it.

You would have a select few that would be at the "switch", so to speak. I imagine it would be similar to animal farm.

Yeah but these illegal immigrants have a job because they're paid less than minimum wage under the table. That's the very essence of the illegal immigrant argument, and you missed it.

that's false. Most illegals around here make at least 10 dollars an hour cash, which works out to more than minimum. Some will technically work for less, but that's because they charge to do yard maintenance, which means they're not charging per hour, but for the entire job itself.

there are also illegals who work in actual offices and whatnot who mke normal wages, but can't collect income tax or other social security benefits, while still getting taxed from each paycheck.

either way, finances should be at the back burner of the illegal immigration debate, as it's not actually hurting anyone else. the jobs taken by immigrants are in high demand. i've actually worked maintenance and construction with a lot of them.

I thought I gave you a pretty good matching example. Sorry.
I still go to Wendy's just not that one. It's easier for me. Also their menu sucks so I rarely go there.

There's a Jack In the Box that wouldn't give me a bag but I've gone back and they had bags after the fact.
When I worked at Safeway I constantly dealt with the most upset of all customers and about 100 of Kate+8 haircut ladies that all wanted to speak to my manage because we didn't have the kind of cheese she wanted even after I explained that I did in fact check in the back walk in and there wasn't any.
That wasn't my fucking fault it was the manager's so yeah, ask to speak to the manager but remember you're putting someone's job in jeopardy and if you think I didn't get yelled at for that, you're wrong.

I guess I have a bit of sympathy for the workers because I used to be one.

i have sympathy too. i worked at subway and put up with some retarded shit, but getting a job was easy for me, so i always dealt with those customers accordingly, regardless of me getting fired or not.

my main argument is that machines would cut out the middleman between the customer and the cook. now there is one less person to blame for inaccuracy. maybe those drive thru microphones are fucking impossible to hear through and that's whats causing all the confusion..

>maybe those drive thru microphones are fucking impossible to hear through and that's whats causing all the confusion
My old coworker used to work at a Taco Bell and said those fucking headsets were the worst part of the job.

Honestly then why do so many places put such a high value on making their employees stand for many hours and other such things if people don't care about the human aspect

I got out, happiest time of my life let me tell you. Used to work in a target doing that food service kiosk thing. It was basically a little fast food place all on its own. Did coffee, chicken, cookies, little pizzas, etc. It was hell let me tell you. Now I have a cushy office job. I can't tell you how great it is to be treated like a human being.