If you could only use either rice, pasta or potato in your cooking for the rest of your life...

If you could only use either rice, pasta or potato in your cooking for the rest of your life, which one would you choose?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eVCaT6FvI_8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Probably rice. Its so comfy

Potato is most nutritious
Potato master race

Potato

Potato obviously

rice > potato >>> pasta

Did you omit flour on purpose?

Without flour being an option, I'm going to choose rice because of its longevity, and the fact that a life without gumbo would be a life not worth living.

Yep.

Boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew

potatoes for dat versatility

Potato hands down. I eat 2 or 3 potatoes a day as is. It's like a damn drug.

Potatoes for potato flour.

I was going to say rice until user mentioned potato flour.

Plus gnocchi is delicious, but I'm not sure if that is infringing on the rules because of the addition of flour/:

I find rice to be way more versatile.

Also, non-white rice is usually low GI and high in fiber.

youtube.com/watch?v=eVCaT6FvI_8

>all these faggots picking rice
Rice literally adds no flavour, its purpose is to bulk up a meal. Potatoes actually have flavour, that's why there are even meals centred about the potato (baked potatoes). Anything that you can have with rice can be had with mashed potato or chips.

I don't know, man. I think plain steamed rice is fucking delicious if cooked correctly. I could definitely see myself eating a bowl of white steamed rice, plain, more than a plain steamed potato.

Rice

What would potato gnocchi be classified as, potato or pasta?

Plain maybe. But with a little seasoning potatoes go well above rice, and are far more versatile.

>there are even meals centred about the potato (baked potatoes)

If baked potatoes is your best example of a meal centered around the potato, and you don't think the same can be said about rice, it sounds like you've only ever had plain boil in a bag rice.

I've heard of a baked potato topped with butter and sour cream. Never heard of rice topped with nothing but butter and sour cream, because it would be tasteless.

Rice tastes fucking awesome when you get good rice and cook it properly. Not all rice is that flavorless uncle ben's crap.

If your only argument is making baseless assumptions (I've never tasted either Uncle Ben's or boil in the bag rice in my life), it means you lose. Was fun discussing it with you, don't feel bad about losing, you were arguing for a point that could never win.

>never heard of rice topped with nothing but butter and sour cream

Well that would be a little weird. But rice simply topped with just one or two things is massively common. It sounds like you're just talking out of your ass.

>baseless assumptions

Actually, it was an example. Just about any brand you might find at the average market is just as flavorless.

Try getting something like Carolina Gold from Anson Mills. That shit doesn't need anything to make it taste amazing. I am sure the specialty rice shops you see in Asia are no different.

The carolina gold was an eye-opener for me. I bought some on a whim after seeing it on Mind of a Chef. It blew my mind that rice can actually taste of something without fucking around adding things to it. It just turns out that the vast majority of our rice is bred for volume, not for flavor.

Okay, let me spell it out for you since you're too much of a dumbass to understand it implicitly.

You can top a baked potato with things that only enhance the flavour (butter, sour cream). If you're adding something to rice, you always have to add a source of flavour (curry, chilli, etc.)

>you always have to add a source of flavour

but that's not true.

Disproof by counterexample, I'm waiting.

You're a fucking idiot.

rice and potato are more versatile might go for the rice because it goes with more different meals around the world

Sour cream doesn't "enhance the flavor" of potatoes. It's adding a source of flavor just the same as curry or chili.

Also it's flavor. Spell it right.

Here we have a classic example of a left-winger. When forced to confront the fact that he's wrong, he lashes out emotionally.

>Disproof by counterexample, I'm waiting.

You know that people all over the world often times just eat a bowl of plain rice, right? You don't need to add anything to it, you can just eat it as is.

Now I agree that most commercial rice is pretty bland on its own, but there are plenty of types which are very flavorful with nothing else added, like the aforementioned Carolina Gold.

Sour cream is a flavour enhancer. You add it to things like soup or baked potatoes to make it more creamy, hence enhancing the flavour. It's not actually a source of flavour in these contexts.

Curry is the same.

Everything you've been saying has already been addressed in the thread, yet you keep pushing your point in more and more nonsensical and ignorant ways. Why would anyone want to keep engaging with that?

>It's not actually a source of flavour in these contexts.

Sure it is. Taste sour cream by itself. It has a flavor, right? When you add sour cream to a dish you are adding that flavor to it.

You're not even trying anymore.

Good rebuttal. I accept your apology.

Fun times.

Taste salt by itself. It has a flavour, right? When you add salt to a dish you are adding that flavour to it.

For another example, consider basil in a tomato sauce. Basil has a flavour, but the source of flavour is the tomato, with the basil just enhancing it.

No one eats curry by itself. It's an enhancer.

>Taste salt by itself. It has a flavour, right? When you add salt to a dish you are adding that flavour to it.

I'm glad we agree.

>> Basil has a flavour, but the source of flavour is the tomato

They both have a flavor. The basil doesn't alter the tomato's flavor, it adds its own. Tomato sauce with basil doesn't have one flavor, it has several: the tomato, the basil, and the other herbs and seasonings used in the sauce.

People eat curry with rice. Rice has no flavour, it's used to bulk out a meal. Hence the curry is the flavour source.

Semen

The white people's choice and thus the superior option:

Potatoes.

If you're white and prefer rice to potatoes, you are a weeaboo.

>Rice has no flavour

>Rice has no flavour

It does when you get good rice.

When you eat curry with rice, what do you taste: the rice or the curry? Don't bullshit me, you don't even taste the rice. The rice is not the flavour, it's used to bulk out the meal and reduce the intensity of the curry by diluting it with the flavourless rice.

I taste both.

Rice has flavor. I'm sorry if you've only ever eaten white long grain Kroger brand rice. Also

*flavor.

I can't work out whether you're genuinely dumb enough to think I'm spelling "flavour" wrong or whether you think you're funny. Either way, you're not worth replying to anymore.

Exactly, rice with nothing but salt is just as good as a baked potato that requires sour cream, butter, and BACON BITS.

Rice, no contest.

I bet I don't do potatoes once a month. I might do pasta once every two weeks, and I do rice 2-3 times weekly.

#unpopular opinion
Pasta imo.
Think of all the lasagnas and noodle dishes. Id miss them too much
Also rice pasta can be turned into rice flour
Soba noodles into buckwheat flour
Potatoes are overrated anyway

Rice is clearly the superior choice.

>experts say you can store it indefinitely under the right conditions
>under the conditions found in most homes, it can store for several years before turning rancid
>is easier to measure a serving given its consistent size and volume
>assuming you know the weight for a given volume, you could create improvised weights
>requires very little energy and water to cook
>is already the staple of choice in most of the world; must be doing something right
>extremely durable; won't bruise or snap/break like potatoes and pasta during shipping and handling
>uncooked rice can be used as a desiccant of sorts
>in terms of weight to energy ratios, rice (591 calories) narrowly comes second to pasta (597 calories) in most calories per pound. potatoes comes in last (347 calories)
>compacts down into a container with practically no wasted space (compare to the wasted space of storing macaroni noodles in the same container, for example)
>rice cookers can be programmed to cook rice at a given time and keep it warm for several hours

pasta by a mile. is this even debatable?

>Full of inorganic arsenic
>Will give you cancer
>Should not be eaten more than twice a week

potato but rice is a close second

>implying I could go a week without a spanish omelette

potato or GTFO

>tastes worse than the other 2

We're not talking about an apocalypse so I don't care about your nerd shit.

Potatoes for life.

Rice, without a doubt. I'd miss the fuck out of potatoes though.

>stating facts is 'nerd shit'
You OK, bro?

Yes. I don't need to know the square root of a potato to know it tastes good.

Rice.

To each their own. When eaten plain, I think rice tastes the best out of the three.

A greed

> macaroni noodles
Jesus christ

What brands of rice are you guys eating that is so flavorful? Rice no matter the variety i find, has the same clean, plain taste.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever asked for steamed rice when ordering Chinese-American takeout?

Basmati and Jasmine rice are wonderful though.
White rice has the lowest amount.

Rice

I could make bread'n shiet with it

Potato. Most versatile.

pasta
I like potato and rice
but I loooove pasta

Potato. You can do so much with a potato it's amazing.

i don't ever eat potatoes so rice

Yep. Same deal. The exception is sushi rice but they use a seasoned vinegar on that so that doesn't really count imo.

flour not on the list means you can still use flour no matter what, as long as you're not making pasta out of it.