Is there any point of trying to mine monero/eth or shitcoins on a gaming laptop?

is there any point of trying to mine monero/eth or shitcoins on a gaming laptop?

am i going to waste all profits on electricity, overheat the system or just get shitty returns?

use the power outlet in mcdonalds you fucking nincompoop

Laptop processors are generally more efficient power wise. Same with the GPUs

For non-ASIC-resistant coins, it makes no sense. You cannot compete with 1) low-cost power in Asian countries combined with 2) ASIC miners, which are orders of magnitude more power-efficient than your laptop.

It used to make sense to mine Monero with commodity CPUs, as Monero's mining algorithm is designed to be ASIC-resistant. With botnets mining it now, however, normies can't compete. Botnet miners don't care about power costs, since they're stealing it from the victims.

Smaller coins which use Monero-like mining algorithms still make sense, though. I've heard good things about Sumokoin.

Ok cool. That sucks. I was tempted as I have a source of free electricity.

Do you think it might be worth investing in POS coins or getting the next gen of ASIC miners instead of gpu mining?

>a source of free electricity

Ah, well that changes the equation somewhat. If your university is paying for it, I'd mine Monero. Still easier to complete with CPU botnets than Bitcoin ASIC miners.

Monero does make sense.

>Live in an apartment where electricity was included in year long lease.
>Set up 4 mining rigs
Did I waste $5000 or is this smart?

That’s smart. You will make your money back at least in 12 months

Man I wish I'd started in uni.

This is abroad so it's a bit of a gamble but the power is free and all totally legit. I'm only worried cos it's hot as fuck there and I don't want to have to live there to maintain it, would have to leave someone else to watch over it.

better hope they don't have a good lawyer
and that your apartment's circuit can actually support all 4 rigs

Your landlord will be suing you in 1 month

I don't see how a lawyer could get the landlord out of a stupid contract.

real contracts aren't computer code and are subject to whatever the legal system thinks of it

I don't think it's worth fucking the battery but if you don't care go for it, they're already tuned for lower TDP

Right. And if the contract says "free power," is says "free power." This isn't rocket science.

Of course, don't expect that clause to remain in the lease upon renewal if you abuse the privilege. Common sense would seem to apply here.

Wrong. Mining is industry\business. Not seen as personal power usage. court will favor landlord!

also same if he had hosted web servers for commercial usage. power is not personal use

Unless you have a botnet then I wouldn’t bother.

Mining as an enterprise is not profitable unless you’re like in Serbia or something.

I have the lease agreement. It says nothing about electricity beyond it being included in the rent.

Do you think he'll notice if I just run one? I've been running all 4 the last couple days because I picked up some rigs during the crash.

Can you afford a lawyer? Because your landlord can. Electricity included in the rent is for personal use not to setup a business and run it out of your apartment. They will notice when the power bills start coming in the thousands of dollars and take you to court where you will lose.

NIGGA IF YOU GOT FREE POWER YOU BETTER BE MINING THE SHIT OUT THAT LAPTOP UNTIL IT DIES

How is the landlord gonna prove he used electricity for business purposes?

you've seem to have really thought this through