Bought XMR at 177

>Bought XMR at 177
>Today, 310

Feeling super comfy.

With hardware wallet support coming soon, I expect another sudden rise in value. Get in now, anons.

Other urls found in this thread:

coingecko.com/en/price_charts/monero/btc
monero.stackexchange.com/questions/23/what-is-the-purpose-of-the-tail-emission
reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/7wsiws/there_is_a_scam_coin_with_our_namebranding/
reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/7vcz78/psa_monerov_is_blatantly_a_scam_made_to_enrich/
reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/7xod74/how_to_show_everybody_that_your/
reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/7y1zpd/using_monero_is_a_liberating_experience/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Oh yeah, and we're steadily gaining value against BTC, not just tracking its market positin. Check out that comfy 90-day slope:

coingecko.com/en/price_charts/monero/btc

>Get in now, anons.
you still think it's a viable buy?

Plus there is a fork in March

can you get the forked coins by holding on an exchange?

I'd say so. XMR's got a number of useful features yet to launch, like hardware wallet. These releases will bump the price.

I'm also confident that as authorities worldwide crack down on public-ledger blockchains, Monero's niche as a privacy-focused coin will continue to grow. Litecoin is used for most darknet transactions today, but it's not anonymous, and can't really be made anonymous. Monero is the privacy coin with the most cred and best (IMO) developer community at the moment, so I'd say it's positioned to take a chunk of BTC and LTC's market caps in this area.

Also, unlike ETH, the Monero GUI wallet isn't a piece of shit that crashes all the time with uncaught Javascript exceptions. Seriously, what the fuck Ethereum.

In my view, if you're holding crypto on an exchange, you're doing it wrong. The recent Coinbase fiasco demonstrates. My criticism here isn't specific to Monero, though the juxtaposition of privacy coin against a centralized exchange is striking.

The GUI wallet's great, and the mnemonic passphrases make it super easy to back your wallet up to a hard copy.

ITT: NOBODY has identified the #1 or #2 reasons XMR will MOON this year

Enlighten us then please, fellow user.

Hint for #1: recent news article that nobody yet understands
Hint for #2: How was the XMR block reward designed?

It is my last step in de-risking before transferring assets to stocks/bonds
No better asset out there with a sexier risk/benefit ratio right now
It won't 100x or 1000x, but my median prediction for eoy is $7500

For #2, I assume you're referring to the coolness that is tail emission. I hadn't thought to hard about it, but this StackExchange post seems to say why it'll keep fees reasonable (furthering darknet and other vendor adoption against BTC and LTC):

monero.stackexchange.com/questions/23/what-is-the-purpose-of-the-tail-emission

Nope
Hint #2 for reason #2:

And for #1, I'm not sure which you mean. I saw Slate adopt Monero-mining as an alternative to browser ads, and a Monero-mining CAPTCHA alternative too. Then there's all the Monero-mining botnets, which certainly demonstrate an interest in / optimism for XMR among the blackhat crowd.

ok but that doesn't answer my question...

appreciate the info though.

Monero is a top three coin. Deal with it cunts. Super comfy hold

I don't the answer to your actual question, sorry :^)

dev is fat and lazy, avoid

Ah, just found the Reddit post (and not via image search). Do you mean XMR's greater-than-BTC miner reward, which will persist until 2019 or so? I could certainly see that drawing more miners, which grows the network, which makes it more secure, which increases adoption...

XMR is going to explode this year. Quads easy.

Good guess but no
I'm gonna stop being a fag and just start posting the real answers:

#1 The real users who have a pressing need for xmr are those who quickly need to hide liquid assets. That includes basically three groups: people in despotic countries trying to leave or hide wealth, people with lots of wealth trying to covertly move it without triggering taxes and people getting divorced where there is a large wealth differential. NONE of these use cases has caught on yet...but there was a normie newspaper article recently about what a headache BTC was for divorce lawyers. What happens to high net worth demand the first time there's a front page story about a hedgie hiding his clams from a trophy wife by buying "an unknown amount" of XMR? Think about what rich people pay for lawyers to write prenups and multiply that by a thousand.

For part 2: the emission of XMR was basically chosen at a whim. Its a continuous curve so you don't notice when the reward drops off...but it drops off HARD from 2018-2020. Right now the price is being "suppressed" by a relatively high block reward which is generally sold at market prices for fiat or BTC...that is going away quickly but smoothly. One of the devs even said a long while back that this "angle" in the curve would cause price volatility. Which direction do you think a rapidly diminishing new supply rate will cause the price to be volatile?
Oh yeah, and all of this is happening in the same year XMR is getting hardware support and all the other bullish events listed above.

I'm revising my previous prediction to $10k eoy.

The lead maintainer (core team of 7, total contributors 300+) is a fat nerd. I'd rather have him writing the code than a Mr. WASSA WASSA WASSA WASSUUUUUP.

Oh yeah, China's gonna make XMR huge. Xi Jinping's been cracking down hard on capital flight (while making life worse for rich Chinese, thus encourage more capital flight...), and China's well-equipped to track public-ledger crypto transactions. Monero's perfect for those users' needs.

>It won't 100x or 1000x, but my median prediction for eoy is $7500
that's fine with me. i'm looking for just one stable coin to put ~75% of my portfolio capital into

This. It's my biggest hold because of it's technical merit. Most of the old guard of crypto is slowly defecting into Monero as they lose faith in core.

Blockchain anonymity is what makes Monero great, but as long as you are depending on a fiat-bitcoin-monero transaction involving an exchange, there is still some vulnerability there. I love Monero but until we can safely turn cash into Monero completely anonymously then I'll remain skeptical of "Monero as a Swiss bank" proposition.

It's already priced in.

You understand the value of being able to reliably break one link in a chain of transfers with respect to your concern, right?

Shapeshift.io -- which enables quick, cheap, and easy conversion between XMR and other more fiat-convertible coins -- is Swiss, so there's that :)

are you talking about the linear inflation rate fater 18.3 million is reached? isn't that a good thing to keep the economy going

No user

My answer is here:

Given the relatively sparse public updates from the dev team on this matter, I'm doubtful of your claim.

Fucking delete this thread.

XMR & ETH are my main coins, don't shill it on this degenerate board.

I do, from a legal standpoint, but is that enough to stop someone hiding assets from facing punitive damages anyway? We don't really know these things yet. What happens to the husband who knows he's about to get divorced who buys 1 million dollars worth of Bitcoin on Coinbase and then his bank gets subpoenaed for the details of his account in the divorce proceedings? What difference does it make if he exchanged that BTC for XMR on shapeshift if a trial lawyer can prove he controlled the private keys for 1 million dollars worth of bitcoin at a point in time in the recent past?

See above. The problem isn't on Monero's end.

ty

I actually mean this in a respectful manner but I don't think you are familiar with how these sorts of things work in high NW circles.

The assets are known about prior to the relationship. The obfuscation points are well defined. The only issue is that there is no liquid, untraceable, secure middle asset that doesn't have public reporting requirements or a public blockchain that they are familiar with.

The divorce question is interesting. I could see the advent of crypto driving changes in law -- for example, the creation of a window that overlaps with divorce proceedings during which large assets cannot be sold, like a stock trading blackout window.

(Or maybe this already exists! IANAL, and I've never divorced anyone :))

I want to sell what little ETC I have (~$430) when its airdrop happens and move it into XMR

Hopefully ETC pumps again before the airdrop so I have more money to work with

I just want to make it, I don't know much about what I'm doing

You're the one who brought up divorce cases involving couples with disparate assets. I don't know why anyone (usually a woman) would agree to a settlement out of court using Monero (if this is what you're talking about) when she has the legal right to take the man to court and get half of his assets in no-fault divorce proceedings. You're going to need to clarify your earlier statement.

Thx just bought 1

user, if you don't have an extra $430 to spend on cryptocurrency, I'd strongly urge you to reconsider whether this type of risky investment is right for you. I'm bullish on XMR, but if I lost it all tomorrow (and maybe not from a price drop -- exchanges get hacked, computer crash, backups fail to restore), I'd be OK. Don't end up another pink Wojak calling the suicide hotline :(

anyone know of an alternative to monero that is faster with lower transaction fees? all of the other privacy coins seem to be garbage in comparison to this one

o-okay

do I just quit then

just go all in on LINK (seriosuly), wait 3-6 months, then see how that works out

>Being this new.

Monero forks every 6 months. You dont get a forked coin.

He's actually talking about some shitcoin fork, MoneroV.

There is none.

Well, I don't know your financial situation, but I'd say be sure you always have enough for food and shelter. I've read some pretty sad threads by folks who've been ruined and evicted due to a (temporary) dip and poor financial planning.

Bulletproofs?
Mimblewimble side chain?
Implementation of LN and atomic swaps?
Release of the Monero standards?
Ledger support?
Coral reef?

Oh, fuck all the off-brand shitcoins. Stay far away. Security implications for your actual Monero wallet if you inadvertently expose your private key. Monero devs have warned about this sort of stuff.

the reward has already dropped off substantially. monero was almost premine status, look how steep the curve was in the beginning.

the only thing that holds me back from being a huge xmr weeb is the fact that its slow - not just talking about the transfers, i'm talking about restoring wallets and scanning the blockchain.

it is also extremely difficult to make a light wallet for it (especially while keeping privacy). it takes a lot of computing resources to host light wallets

And because I'm not some hype man, here's some of the actual thread(s) I was thinking of in relation to "XMR Gold" MoneroV:

reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/7wsiws/there_is_a_scam_coin_with_our_namebranding/

reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/7vcz78/psa_monerov_is_blatantly_a_scam_made_to_enrich/

reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/7xod74/how_to_show_everybody_that_your/

XMR Gold and* MoneroV, that is.

Yeah, I read a bit about the technical challenges of a hardware wallet for XMR. I'm not too concerned. My day job is embedded software development, and I can tell you that smartphones have made highly capable SoCs (of the type required to run even a Linux-class hardware wallet) extremely affordable.

i'm okay on my finances and have $2000 in savings
i'm just a dumb university kid gambling a bit

>My day job is embedded software development
i'm doing embedded systems design right now, graduating soon, what is a good company to get in to

Hardware wallet is never coming bro. Keep dreaming. The devs are full of shit.

To expand on my comment: imagine the cheapest unlocked Android smartphone you can buy. We're taling sub-$100, sold mostly in India, no-name Android phone. Now remove from its BOM cost the WiFi radio, cellular radio, GPU, high-resolution display, camera, audio circuitry, and most of the battery. There's your wallet.

Now sell it at cost, or even subsidize it if you want to increase adoption and thus the value of your current XMR holding. I'm guessing $30-40. The prototype wallet that already exists is $20, by the way.

Lab126 / Amazon has good teams, and Amazon's slowly fixing the reasons for their high employee turnover. Google also has a big embedded group now, in addition to Android and Chromecast. I hear Apple isn't bad, if you can find a good team. Plenty of hardware startups these days, too.

?

Req needs to move before monero bullet proofs get implemented

Uplifting story from earlier about a guy from South America, now living in the US, using Monero to split bills with friends and send money to family in the southern hemisphere:

reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/7y1zpd/using_monero_is_a_liberating_experience/

Of note: his mother, who only knows knows "basic English," has an easy time using the wallet app on Android. Passing the girlfriend-or-mother usability test is key for any product seeking wide adoption.