I've been on a caramelized onion kick after seeing a Pinterest thread about them. I take three onions and slice them up...

I've been on a caramelized onion kick after seeing a Pinterest thread about them. I take three onions and slice them up, put them in a cast iron pan on low, and add three tablespoons of butter. To get them fully caramelized takes almost an hour, but it's time well spent. I put them on hot dogs, sandwiches, pizza, etc. Who here enjoys caramelized onions. Done pic to follow...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yt_0e72fs9M
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The finished product. I only wish I had a bigger pan...

onions are disgusting and so are you

reported

enjoy your ban

nicely done

I like them on white pizzas and burgers

You should try putting increasing the heat a bit, I love caramelized onions but an hour is crazy

Increasing the heat will "cook" the onions rather than caramelizing them. Plus, you don't have to stand over them the whole time, just give them a stir every fifteen minutes or so.

Pro tip op: if they start to stick, add a small splash of water and scrape up brown bits. You can get the onions darker this way and therefore sweeter.

My cast iron pan is pretty well seasoned=no sticking...but I get where you're coming from.

My friend, if you love caramelized onions, you have no idea what you are missing. A cast iron is a nonstick surface. You can't build up fond on a nonstick. Fond is a necessity for a pan sauce and let's face it caramelized onions are like a sauce almost.

shut up faget

>guaranteed replies

here's your final (You)

OP here. I don't disagree in theory. Perhaps I'll try them in a regular pan next time...

Love 'em. There's this mom and pop burger place that opened up near me a few years back. Their signature burger comes with cheese, bacon, and caramelized onions. You're not allowed to add toppings.

I was skeptical, but holy fuck is that a good burger. Since then, I've been making caramelized onions and putting them on all kinds of shit. They're absolutely fantastic.

Love caramelized onions OP, only wish I could make them more often given how long they take to prepare.

no u

Has anyone ever tried making caramelized onions in the oven? I tried searching google but I only found recipes for people baking them at like 400F and stirring every 15 minutes, doesn't seem different from making them in the pan...

I was thinking of baking them at like 275F for 1-2 hours but I'm not sure what temp or how long. I want to make a huge baking sheet of it but is that even possible without stirring?

What is the best way to store caramelized onions?

In your stomach.

>It actually was his final (you)

lord almighty

>tfw four onions reduces to like three bites

Just change the alkaline by adding baking soda dumbass. Makes the process faster.

You can caramelize onions in like 10 minutes. Use high heat and deglaze repeatedly as you go along. They taste exactly the same as the ones that take an hour on low heat.

youtube.com/watch?v=yt_0e72fs9M

just use brown sugar

i wonder what would happen in a crock pot... could make a shit ton then

OP's look soooo much better than that though. Not convinced with this at all.

Do you do this with or without a lid?

What?

Caramelized onion king here

>Salt, cover pan till onions are soft
>uncover, teaspoon of brown sugar

I don't know if 10 minutes of cooking is enough time for them to get soft, you don't just want the outside browned but also most of the water inside them evaporated. Also adding sugar to caramelized onions is a shortcut, and shortcuts usually make food taste worse.

If you cover a pan on medium they go soft in minutes, sugar doesn't aid taste it just helps caramelization

Make french onion soup, you have to caramelize like 4-5 lbs of the bastards

not op , but yeah there's going to be a lot of water coming out of these onions and we dont want a soggy mess.so yeah no cover.

i like raw onions more than caramelized onions

Why caramelized onions when they could be fried onions?

So this is a shitpost, just to clarify.

That is exactly how long it takes to caramelize onions

>mfw carmelized onions on a cheesesteak

B8

Cooking in russia has a french onion soup recipe, he braises them in an oven for 4 hours to get them caramelised. Seems like the best way to do a large volume. Also check out cooking with jacks version if you want to know what not to do.

thx m80, i was trying to find an oven method and his seemed to work fairly well

overdone.

Onions take 20-25 minutes to caramelize, after that, you're just doing accelerated decomposition

How do you guys deal with how astronomic your utility bills must be?

Chef John did caramelized onions in the oven too, for his "American French onion soup" recipe.

? Natural gas is cheap as fuck nig, and also I don't live in poverty.

gas is cheaper than electricity son

Caramelized onions are godly on pizza, never tried them on a hot dog though.

When you change the p.h. the caramelizing process accelerates.

Add baking soda.

This isn't all wrong, but you can see that he's got burnt onion in there. If you're careful enough, you won't get that, but it's a risk, and points to this not being "foolproof" and easy.

Also, that's a restaurant burner. You put that much water in a pan on a home burner, and it 100% won't evaporate that fast. Given how much longer it will take to evaporate, and the extra attention you need to pay to avoid bitter, burnt onion, a home cook is better served with a slower caramelization process.

>replying to something you know is bait. While trying to declare your moral superiority.

Very true, though there is diminishing returns on the speed increase, and adding too much will make the onions taste a bit mealy/dry.

I chuck sugar in my oninions and cook them in a pan, comes out pretty good

Alton does it that way. Takes a good 24 hours but you don't have to watch them at all. I make giant batches and freeze them in portions.

Feeling kind today.... do you know you can add some sugar and water and you dont need to wait for an hour?

Yeah but added sugar makes everything worse and refined sugar is not great for you. Better to just be patient for 30 mins and get something that's good.

I just panfry them with a bit of soysauce and eat them alone like that

good over rice