What did you make, or are planning to make, for the holiday weekend? What are you drinking?

What did you make, or are planning to make, for the holiday weekend? What are you drinking?

The plan was to make lobster rolls, but the lobster was off, so I made the next most festive filling: egg salad.

Washed it down with a Raison D'Extra, followed by a Saison Du BUFF, and finally an Ommegang Hennepin.

Starting the day with pancakes, bacon, fresh fruit, mimosas, and coffee.

My dad is cooking smoked pork shoulder in the smoker and doing baked beans and some other typical barbecue sides. My mom's making dessert and I volunteered to make an appetizer. I have no Idea what to make. I'd say I'm a pretty good cook (I can make anything from Gnocchi to Chili to creme Brulee) but I always have the hardest time figuring out what I wanna make. Anyone got any ideas?

MOFUCKIN BRATWURST

Make a bunch of deviled eggs with 2-3 different kinds of filling. Everybody loves deviled eggs.

I'm gonna put that pic on ratemypoo.com, OP.

Maybe more of a side but a nice contrast would be a chilled corn salad. I forget exactly what I use to use but

Corn
Red or Kidney beans (optional)
Avocado
Onion
Red wine vinegar
Salt
Pepper
Cilantro
Other spices/peppers if heat is desired like chipotle, jalapeno etc

mix all in bowl, cover and chill

easy and its always popular.

forgot lime juice

Dinner tonight was all grilled.

>teriyaki chicken skewers
>bacon wrapped turkey medallions
>portabella muchroom caps
>onions
>peppers
>corn on the cob
>sweet potatoes

How's that saison du buff? Saw it in the store today and will prolly get it next time I'm in.

It was really good. More citrus than herbal, though you could tell the herbs were there and pick them out; just really well balanced. Would recommend.

The Raison d'Extra was aged around two years and was pretty amazing. Probably wasn't the best choice to begin the night with, as it was sort of like brandy, mixed with a little maple syrup, with a distinct raisin flavor. More of an after dinner sipping drink, but I like to taste the best while I have a clean palate and a clear head.

The Hennepin I'd had before, and was a bit disappointing.

I know the Saison du Buff is a collaboration between the three different breweries, but I didn't realize each brewery made a batch on their own, so I don't know which one I had and don't want to dig through the recycling to find the bottle.

Made brown miso and butter pasta topped with parmesan, shallots and kilbasa and cheese stuffed onion rings with marinara dipping sauce.

How did you stuff the onion rings?

The only thing I can think of would be to cut the cheese into strips and wrap it around the onions, presumably freeze them to set, and then batter and fry. Shit, now I'm going to have to try that. You could even add some caramelized onions and use Gruyere and make French onion (soup) rings.

>portabella
Retard.

Its actually not that complicated. When you slice the onions, you take 2 onion rings from alternating layers and slide a piece of cheese between them. Then you bread them and just throw them in hot oil. Voila, cheese stuffed onion rings.

That makes sense. Thanks for the idea. Going to experiment like crazy with this.

>bread them

I could have sworn those looked battered, which is how I like to do them.

literally none of those ingredients complement one another aside from pasta and parmesan

Me and my fiance were thinking the same thing. Next time we are going to try a proper beer batter. Also, not going to make them again with the miso spaghetti, its way too much savory together. Good dishes on there own though, just need different appetizer/entre combo.

The entire meal was a bit of a cluster fuck, but the pasta/miso/kilbasa/parm worked incredibly well together as an entre.

>entre
Retard.

no offense f.a.m. but honestly it reminds me of those people who combine fast food products and think it's creative

The missus says thanks for your shite opinion now bugger off. I would say yes, it is a weird sounding combination, but it worked really well. Very savory, but if paired with something light and sour or maybe bitter it would work quite well. As it is, i would definitely make it again, maybe with a less spicy meat.

It's Stone's if you bought it recently and it wasn't very old.