Veeky Forums elitism thread

Veeky Forums elitism thread.

So I've noticed that many other boards have a culture of elitism where if you haven't done x, y or z, you're considered a newfag and need to git gud. /v/ and /g/ are great examples of this.

So I was thinking, this whole attitude is sorely lacking on Veeky Forums, and I was thinking I'd make an effort to bring it here.

Without further ado...

> Basic requirements to be a true Veeky Forumser:

1. Have eaten at a Michelin starred restaurant.

If you haven't done this, you clearly don't belong here. Not up for debate, everyone who really belongs here will agree with this.

2. Have tasted foie gras at least 5 times.

If you have never eaten foie gras, you don't understand food, it's just that simple.

3. Be able to roll Sushi without screwing it up.

If you can't roll a nice tight sushi roll, GTFO, you don't belong here.

4. Never eat frozen boxed foods, ever.

If you've ever eaten hungry man or something like that at ANY point in the last 5 years, please leave my board.

Alright that's my contribution, I'll leave it to the coo/cks/ to finish off the list.

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2010/12/the-physiology-of-foie-why-foie-gras-is-not-u.html
youtu.be/cGMCmbLq2qs
hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/calcium-and-milk/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

DELETE THIS

1. American shit
2. If you insist on torture in your food, you don't understand anything
3. Crafting is not cooking
4. Frozen pizza comes in a box

>If you don't shitpost at least 30 times a week about pizza you aren't qualified to browse this board

You need to be over 18 to post on this board

wow you're the biggest faggot i've seen in a while

The only way to save this thread is to talk of the wonders of go' style za'

>foie gras
>torture
GTFO, educate yourself on duck anatomy, and then come back if you're no longer an edgy faggot.
>it would hurt if done to humans so it must hurt ducks too!!
Dumbass.

If you put beans in chili and call it chili then you should be drawn and quartered.

Yep. Just like waterboarding, it would not hurt and therefore is not torture.

3/4 but I don't like Sushi.
Or any fish for that matter
But I make up for it by having eaten Foie Gras at least 50 times, right?

If you've never eaten pic related while on a flyover trip, you don't belong on my Veeky Forums.

>elitism
Christ, this is all nothing. My professor said back in college when the internet was new, for many usenet college forums, there'd be rooms where only confirmed PhDs could talk or you had to write an essay on whatever obscure topic the chat was about and have it read and approved to be able to contribute.

>none of the requirements are more than tangentially related to actual cooking
I'd say that's an accurate assessment of a typical "true Veeky Forumser".

10 random abilities one must have for being a good cook:
1. Making a sauce hollandaise the traditional way without scrambling the egg yolk or breaking the sauce when adding butter.
2. Making good veal or beef stock.
3. Knowing the difference between roasting and braising.
4. Knowing the ideal internal temperatures for beef, pork, chicken and fish without having to look them up.
5. Making a decent French omelette (almond shaped, no browning, as soft as possible).
6. Making a sugar syrup of appropriate stage (thread, soft ball, hard ball etc.) without a candy thermometer and without crystallizing it.
7. Being able to write a working recipe for 500 grams of lean, medium hydration bread dough without looking anything up.
8. Making a good ragu bolognese (ground beef in tomato soup doesn't count).
9. Filleting a whole fish.
10. Making a puff pastry sheet by hand.

How many did you get?
>0-3: average cu/ck/
>4-6: enthusiastic amateur
>7-9: culinary school student
>10: King Ja/ck/

I've never done any of those.
I am a grill master though, my smoked food has become famous across town.
I often post my barbecued food on here but everyone's too busy with 'go 'za and Jack threads.

Ducks breathe through the tongue and have no nerve endings in their throats.
>im the smartest person ever so I can't be wrong
Kill yourself, faggot

Actually no, I've done 2 and know 3.

I got it the first time, there's absolutely no stress involved because it doesn't hurt. Cool. Thanks.

> any amount of stress is torture

Please go back to tumblr

you're such a macho badass, dude

>1. Have eaten at a Michelin starred restaurant.

Only applies to white people who only eat white food, and really only French and Italian.
Michelin is completely clueless about international cuisine.

>I've noticed that many other boards
GTFO CROSSPOSTING SCUM

Oh great, just what this board needs, more elitism.

I can smell the amerifat from here.

>Michelin starred restaurant
>American shit

You're retarded. Also, foie gras isn't torture.

I do agree with your other two points. If Veeky Forums elite were to mean anything it should involve the ability to actually cook, and there's also nothing wrong with eating the occasional frozen pizza, especially if you add some fresh toppings.

Requirements to be on this board:

1. You're interested in conversing about food, drink, restaurants and cooking
2. You're a giant shit posting faggot

Which one are you OP?

I'd still eat foie gras but my problem with it is not how they are fed but how fat the birds get. The videos I've seen of the farms show the birds not being able to walk much because they are so fat, seems like a shitty life. I wouldn't want to forced into obesity.

Regardless there are much larger issues in the livestock industry. I never understood why liberals get so bent out of shape about foie gras instead of other livestock raising practices. I guess it's because foie gras is rich people food and an unnecessary luxury whereas inhumanely raised chickens are food for the masses.

>seems like a shitty life

It's *only* the last week or so that they're fattened up.

>Veeky Forums - Food & Cooking
I'd imagine being able to cook would be something.

Veeky Forums great becasue a lack of elitism. people always post for advise and get it in spades.

I suppose there are thoes cringe threads but the content of thoes are rightfully ridiculed.

Do you have a source on that? I thought they had to be fat much longer than that for the liver to actually retain fat.

You're not just trolling, but with clear and sober intent, intentionally trying to make this board worse than it has been recently. I don't believe there's anyway I can report you fast enough. Please leave.

seriouseats.com/2010/12/the-physiology-of-foie-why-foie-gras-is-not-u.html

Never mind I just found this, 25 days or about a quarter of the duck's life is spent during the gavage (at least at this farm). Honestly I'd rather just buy a duck raised in open air from a local farm and roast it instead of buying one of these foie gras ducks raised in a large shed.

I think Veeky Forums is getting a lot worse. Granted I'm not really a regular but the level of threads I see that are just blatant shitposting/(you)fishing is ridiculous.

Maybe this board needs flags or IDs before it gets worse.

/thread

>Veeky Forums
>rules
top kek

>> Basic requirements to be a true Veeky Forumser:

1. Have eaten 'go style 'za at least 5 times.
2. Eat 'talian 'sta at least once a week.
3. Call soda "pop"

Reply to this post and remove all doubt you are fag.

Let it go son

Kinda agree we need more elitism. There are only junkfood threads now, instead of people who are actually enthusiastic about food.

Those shit threads are made by flyovers, not the true Veeky Forums community. Elitism won't help the problem, it would just cause more bitching. Hide the threads and focus on the good content.

I feel like the junk food threads spawned as a counter to elitism. Outside of Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums it's becoming less cool to be a food snob.

Requirements:

>can make an anglaise
>can work with sugar / spun sugar etc.
>can make at least 3 dishes not from your country
>can cook a perfect medium rare steak
>can perfectly poach eggs
>can make a vegetarian meal that a standard omnivore would love
>knows how to sharpen a knife on a whetstone and steel
>competent chopstick user

For fucks sake and it's not even June yet

I've suggested that we need flags several times, never got a response.

Being a food snob stopped being cool around the time the level of pretentiousness rose to the point you could get called uncultured unironically if you found moss and rocks to not be food.

>he doesn't like rock and moss entrees
>not getting an extra dessert balloon to-go for later

youtu.be/cGMCmbLq2qs

What would flags do other than make it so that ever other reply starts with, "stupid [person from X country]"?

It's not like it's that difficult to differentiate Americans from Brits from Australians from people who's first language isn't English.

5. Known how to make Chicago style pizza

>stopping shitposting
>adding flags
pick fucking one

>there are actually people who think flags reduce shitposting

That's as racist as saying musicologists are clueless about traditional/world musics because they are white.

As if being part of the most literate and dominant cultural tradition in the world would compromise your ability to judge other cultures. There is a reason food critics, musicologists, archaeologists etc across the globe all use western practice. The "science" mind that started with the greeks is almost an evolutionary shift, or at least some retards mistook for the beginnings of self-consciousness itself.

>"""ironic""" shitposting

Why don't you just go back to posting BigMacs you dumb fuck.

Instead of pedantic requirements which are difficult to emphasize on such a casual board, I think suggest indisputable principles.

>food is both a science and an art/entertainment
>on the science side, the authorities are the medical school consensus. we should value healthy eating.
>on the art side, the authorities are the classic cuisines, the most influential being haute. instead of "start with the greeks", Veeky Forums must "start with the french"

Beyond that I think everyone's idiosyncratic beliefs make precepts difficult. But denying the 2 I suggested is quite degenerate. In that you either deny scientific authority or aesthetic-technical authority. The latter is more common because philosophy is more difficult to understand than empirical demonstration.

>I've noticed that many other boards have a culture of elitism

On a Thai Bicycle Club image site? What is OP smoking?!?!?

>2. Have tasted foie gras at least 5 times.
>If you have never eaten foie gras, you don't understand food, it's just that simple.

foi gras is eaten on 'toast' and served pre-made. Jam tier food

Can confirm. Went to Hudson valley foie gras and watched ducks get throat fucked. They stood on line and fought over who gets it next. They loved it.

Because I know who the woman in your photo is, I was pretty sure before reading a word this was a troll thread.

And what's particularly troll-y is the list since it's what a plebe would think an elite list would look like.

>2. If you insist on torture in your food, you don't understand anything

Go back to rd, faggot.

>3/4 but I don't like Sushi.
>Or any fish for that matter
HAHAHAHAHAH. Fuck off. foreverplebe.

This would not be a bad list, though it's fairly French-centric. I have a similar list, what I imagine would be required to show up on a serious cooking competition and dominate it (Top Chef, Masterchef AU). Missing would be making a variety of pasta shapes, more bone work, and baking. I'm a 10, though I've never cooked fish with temperature in mind.

Most ignorant post on this thread. However, partially correct, you won't find too many non-whites who aren't also plebes, though anyone of any race can, with determination, rise out of the groundling seating.

Unsure about women, though.

>not being able to walk much because they are so fat, seems like a shitty life

Are you describing what I see when I walk past a welfare office in Manhattan a few times a week to get to my garage?

That's pretty good.

No one cares.

>They stood on line and fought over who gets it next.
sluts...

>are you describing what I see when I walk past a welfare office

Physically? yes, but those fat assholes had a choice in the matter. I would not want to be force fed into immobility.

Also
>look at me with my garage in manhattan

>it's real
Hilarious that people pay money for that.

2,3, and 8, and 5 is aight. Usually get a bit of browning on the egg though. I can google 4 so I've never felt the need to memorize that.

I'm not a big sweets/baking person so 6,7,10 are all off the table.

Yep, this board definitely need more cancer.

>Also
>>look at me with my garage in manhattan

The day before I figured out what garage to park in, some asshole keyed the trunk. Repair was ~$1800, but insurance covered all but $100. Garage parking is a requirement when you have a car that ghetto trash envies.

You can never have enough cancer.

At the very least it would reduce self-loathing hipsters from shitting up threads with false flagging

>autistic mass replying
>tripfag

All you're missing is le rare twitter goblin image and you'd have the shitposting trifecta

Anti America posting isn't actually made by Americans 99% of the time, and flags wont do shit about flyover posting.

If you've never enjoyed a piping hot 'cago 'za with one of your wife's children, you aren't a true cu/ck/.

If a giant bottle of 'cha isn't in your kitchen at all times, likewise, you don't belong here.

This is laughable and cringe worthy.Obviously written by someone who neither understands Veeky Forums in general nor the purpose of some boards elitism.

You want to filter out the shitters and normalfags with elitism? Require reading a book, not spending money to stuff your face. Veeky Forums is about ideas, not personalities or even experiences (though the Veeky Forums faggots who want to do Reddit AMAs and Twitter-tier cooking with shit don't understand that), and how "elite" you are begins and ends with what you know and the ideas you're able to conribute.

Unfortunately, most on Veeky Forums either know nothing, or the ones that know a little suffer from severe cases of Dunning-Kruger.

I don't understand how people could look at and not think "that looks fun, that's really inventive" etc. Why be so po-faced?

Kek

Foodie

>flyovers are worse than people stirring up nationalist arguments in every thread
>pulling numbers out of your ass

Ok

>reading comprehension

you fuckin foodies are so obnoxious

one thing I've noticed in my long, long career in various areas of the food industry, is that you pretentious foodies are usually the worst fuckin' cooks ever.

don't mind me though, I'm busy creating recipes that more than 1% of the population will enjoy.

WARNING!!!!!! Carry on reading! Or you will die, even if you only looked at the word warning!
Once there was a little girl called Clarissa, she was ten-years-old and she lived in a mental hospital, because she killed her mom and her dad. She got so bad she went to kill all the staff in the hospital so the More-government decided that best idea was to get rid of her so they set up a special room to kill her, as humane as possible but it went wrong the machine they were using went wrong. And she sat there in agony for hours until she died.
Now every week on the day of her death she returns to the person that reads this letter, on a monday night at 12:00a.m. She creeps into your room and kills you slowly, by cutting you and watching you bleed to death.
Now send this to ten other pictures on this one site, and she will haunt someone else who doesn't. This isn't fake. apparently, if u copy and paste this to ten comments in the next ten minutes u will have the best day of ur life tomorrow. u will either get kissed or asked out, if u break this chain u will see a little dead girl in your room tonight. in 53 mins someone will say i love you or im sorry

Where are you from and how are you not a flyover? Link your Wikipedia page faggot and let's decide...

You're literally retarded

Fuck you, normal people only like normal things. Different things are for special snowflake hipster assholes who think they're better than everyone else.

kys

There's nothing elitist about /g/.

>see thread
>see 72 replies

not gonna bother reading but literally every single one of you please KYS

This thread is terrible. Veeky Forums is already the snottiest board around. Everyone here is apparently the smartest goddamn person under the sun and doesn't hesitate to let everyone else know it.

>1. Hollandaise
You know your cooking is outdated when the first thing you think of is a dairy sauce
hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/calcium-and-milk/
Fat ja/ck/

All or just most? I'm only 5/8 for your list ;(

No, Veeky Forums is the snottiest, and it's what keeps them alive.

your ability to adhere to the context of this thread is remarkable, though i think you should try getting saltier