What's the biggest injury you have sustained while cooking?

What's the biggest injury you have sustained while cooking?

If nothing has happened to you, what's the worst injury you've seen in the kitchen?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MwCyVku1HvI
youtube.com/watch?v=KSU4g2wL9Oc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

someone once said my thanks giving turkey was dry and that fucked me up pretty bad

I was using a deep fryer naked to make country fried steak fingers and burned my dick by some splash a little so there a scar.

The steak fingers were bomb af tho.

one time when i was 12 i leaned over a pot and got bacon grease right in the eye

i was actually fine, it stung like a motherfucker for like a minute but

now as for the worst injury, my summer job when i was 17 was chopping up vegetables for this catering company, and one of my coworkers was this freshman in the same high school i was in

no one taught the poor kid how to hold a knife so he basically almost degloved himself the first day on the job

there's like a weird spiral scar around his left index finger, it moves alright and all but it is one of the first things you notice about him. he's pretty chill about it though

Took a corner off my thumb while using a mandolin.. wasn't using the plastic guard thing.

Now I never use it without the plastic guard. I also go much slower when near the end of what I'm chopping and never use it after I've been drinking.

Don't feel bad, modern turkey is so lean it's dry most of the time anyway.

not me, but my dad was at the luby's shooting in 91 if that counts.

When I was about 8 years old, my mom was cooking a huge pot of spaghetti sauce. It smelled wonderful and I needed to taste it. It had been simmering for about three hours, and I took a big scoop without cooling it, swallowing it immediately. It burnt the inside of my mouth to a crisp and seared my whole oesophagus. Had blisters everywhere ib the upper part of my digestive tract, couldn't swallow shit for a week. It hurt like hell, but I deserved it for being a glutton and stupid

Fingers in blender. Didn't lose anything, just bled a lot.

I was 8 and cutting a lime slice for my drink. I grabbed the sharpest closest knife near me, a big ol' butcher knife. Let's just leave it at after the first cut, there was a slice (1/4 an inch deep) from the middle of my pointer finger to my wrist.

also lime juice doesn't mix well with a cut

youtube.com/watch?v=MwCyVku1HvI

Nowadays the worst I'd get hurt by is the occasional oil splutter but there was one time in high school.

>grade 10 home ec
>finishing up cooking assessment
>cleaning up my dishes and utensils in the sink
>other girl is just finishing up and comes to clean up her stuff (including a pan just taken off the burner)
>I offered to help clean up seeing as I was pretty much done
>she proceeds to dump her stuff in the sink including the hot fucking pan (obviously I didn't know it was hot till it was too late)
>steam fires up in my face as soon as it hit the water not to mention how my hands were still in the water
>had a large burn mark on the top of my left hand as soon as I took it out
>of course she went red in the face with embarrassment as teacher was storming over to see who fucked up
>In the end I got an A for my work when we got our marks back the following week
>she got marked down for not understanding health and safety in the kitchen, got scolded in front of everyone

To be honest I don't know what I was expecting as she was one of those irritating girls who talk like a fucking baby all the time like saying "lellow" instead of "yellow"

Rubbed my shoulder on the edge of the handle on a super-hot pot of chili I'd been cooking for 6 hours or so.
>hmm, something's not right
>oh, my arm is pushing against burning hot metal
Made a cool little diamond-shaped mark that eventually went away.

Now, worst injury:
>washing dishes at the VFW while in high school, 16
>there is a little water spill on the floor
>wipe it up with a towel
>dumbfuck demands I mop the kitchen entryway
>uh, okay
>mop the entryway
>now instead of one spot, the ENTIRE entryway is slick
>the post commander and cook walks into the kitchen
>legs fly out
>makes a noise that sounds like a dog giving birth
>falls straight onto his back
He ended up being fine but holy fuck was he mad. And very fortunately his anger was immediately redirected once I said "Dumbfuck's the idiot that told me to mop"

those are some really dank footwear I'f I've ever seent any

How fucking young are you? That was some seriously inane high school drama. Probably also a woman.

I wasn't there for it, but a buddy of mine set his fucking hand on fire while cooking fries. He can't cook for shit and left a big pan full of oil unattended. It caught fire, and his first reaction, for whatever reason was to pick the pan up, to throw it in the sink, I guess.

Wound up splashing the flaming oil onto his hand and burned the fuck out of it.

Had to spend months getting skin grafts and shit. Now his hand looks like a fucking ghoul hand from Fallout. Looks pretty fucking gnarly.

Sliced my left thumb, nail and all.

A good half centimeter.
Blood everywhere, girlfriend freaking out yelling at me not to touch it.
I used the time she rushed to the next door supermarket, to buy of of those giant sized bandages, to cut a part of my nail (attached to the finger part) so i could see what was going on, more yelling ensued.

It hurt like a bitch.

How was he holding the knife?

I was cutting an avocado in half and the knife slipped and went towards my wrist. I still have a scar from it even if this was back when I was in middleschool.

Fucking emo

A few, not too horrific.

>roast beef with au jus
>pouring au jus into bowl
>dumbfuck sibling bumps into me
>pour it up my whole arm

The other one happened when I was like, eight.

>camping
>smores time fuck yes
>mom disinfecting skewers in fire after hotdogs
>this doesnt look hot
>put it to the back of my hand

I'm 23 now and still have a scar on my index finger.

I knew people would accuse me of that, I swear it wasn't like that. :c

I'm usually cooking and preparing pretty slowly so I don't hurt myself aside from burns or oil splatter. Grated some cheese a while ago and grated some of my thumb. I heal pretty fast so it was nothing a band-aid couldn't fix.

The house I grew up in was always a deathtrap, but the kitchen was hands down one of the most dangerous places to be. Most of the accidents took place merely while washing or putting away dishes, but a few less interesting, though thoroughly painful events occurred during cooking. Miserable organization, combined with constant overcrowding and general uncleanliness didn't help, but I've come to the conclusion that my family's "common sense" genes were selectively bred out.
For example, one afternoon, I was having a distracting conversation with my mother while sawing through a bagel. You can guess what happened next. That left a small scar on my left index finger.
My brother always seemed to be good at hurting himself. Apart from slicing his hand open with a knife, he also burned a significant portion of his body with a bowl of baked beans. The sudden shock of burning his hands as he lifted the bowl out of the microwave somehow compelled him to jettison the beans all over his torso, and he had to go to the hospital, if I remember correctly. I had a similar incident with chicken nuggets that ended with my favorite plate being broken and a ton of big blisters on my right hand.

pretty fucked up burns on my left hand and wrist. It wasn't actually all that bad, I think the nerves got burned away pretty quickly so only the ones surrounding the wounds actually reacted. I was able to walk to the hospital myself no problem.

I also cut my right index finger almost clean through trying to open a packet of meat. Fuck being left handed sometimes.

I haven't worked in a kitchen for years and you'll see why in a second.

>18 years old
>Sous chef at restaurant
>Lunch rush
>Going to get more potatoes for potatoes gratiné
>Slip on some liquid that was on the floor
>Try to catch my fall by grabbing onto the oven
>I grab the fucking pot of super hot oil
>It falls over
>Burn half of my body
>End up suing the restaurant because they didn't want to help pay my hospital bills
>Looked like fucking pic related for a long time.
>We even have the same fucking first name.
>Have one fuck huge scar that starts on my right cheek and goes down the right side of my body.

Video related I guess.

youtube.com/watch?v=KSU4g2wL9Oc

Niiiiiiiice.

How bad was the pain? I'm and I was actually curious about this when it happened to my hand, it didn't actually feel that awful. Nasty, yeah, but manageable. Was it the same for you or memorably shit?

It was shit, it was worse when the gauze had to be removed.

It's definitely a 10 out of 10 on my pain scale, infinitely worse than the time I broke my collarbone.

>worse than broken collarbone

Pretty fucking bad then. At least you got a good war story out of it, I suppose.

i worked in an ice cream parlour for a couple of months and had to clean the waffle maker at the end of every shift, which on a bad day would take 30mins-1hour

i worked with this portuguese guy who had no concept of safety and one day asked me to help him move the waffle machine whilst it was still on, it rotated and the inside pressed on my arm so i had a nice grid shaped burn/scar on my inner right forearm for a few months

I injured myself in my kitchen at home but it wasn't cooking.
>tape measure was sticking so I opened it up
>poking around trying to find out why the thing wouldn't pull out.
>metal coil jumps out and unwinds into a hot mess as i'm holding it.
>slahes my fingers to fuck with the edge of the metal

other than that i've only had minor burns and cuts.

it was a combo of holding the knife bad and also not clawgripping the food right

so his index was exposed and he didn't have any blade control, i think he was sort of bringing it up and down with his wrist a little?

it starts like, right above the second knuckle. the scar I mean.

Knife to the gut. I was bending over the dishwasher and my sister placed the largest blade point-up. I tripped slightly and spent the next week in hospital.

Still have a 3inch wide scar below my navel.

I shit anyone out in my house for leaving big knives pointing up in the dishwasher, we have a tiled floor and the dishwasher is next to the sink so the floor regularly gets wet and becomes slippy.

This may seem really stupid, but trust me, its definitely up there for the worst experiences of my life in terms of constant pain. My asshat of a boss made me spend ~2 hours scrubbing the "black stuff" (caked on carbon that does not come off steel pots) off of a small metal pot using a steel wool. She didn't have gloves, so I had to use my bare hands. I didn't notice until after, because my hands were submerged in water, but I actually removed almost my whole epidermis on every single one of my fingers on my right hand because of the steel wool constantly eroding the sodden skin on my hands. I remember my hand being raw for a couple weeks, and touching anything was comparable to the feeling of someone slowly scarping your hand with sandpaper. Fuck that lady.

>housemate cooking something
>preheats oven, gets distracted
>45 minutes
>gas on, flame off
>'kitchen smells funny, that's weird'
>opens door
>'oh, flame's out! easy fix tho'
>presses igniter

BOOM

>more like byebrows

Is cutting bread cooking?
Because slipped of a Bread that I thought had soft crust but didn't with a knife and cut my finger.

Is a mandolin sharp?

>being enough of a little bitch to agree to do that when not even provided with basic equipment

you deserved that and far worse

>byebrows

Sauteed bumperino

Sliced through tendons and nerves on my palm permanently damaging the hand. Was drunk as fuck, no idea how I did it don't ask.

lmao. yes.

they are pretty dangerous if you do what that guy did, not using the guard.

how'd you do it?

how'd you do it?

I fell into a pot of boiling oi while basting some moosel, camping out and my m8 gave me push putting me off balance and i fell into the pot.ahaha it was pretty funny joke until my skin started melting. The only good part about it is the burns left 1/3 of my body untouched. The most visible 1/3, i will never see a naked woman hahahah thx dave you crazy bastard

You can kill people with a mandolin

Hey fuck you. Freaks and geeks is the best TV show ever.

Jesus Christ I DEMAND PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE.

I sustained my first kitchen injury when i was 4. It was my birthday and i was sitting on my dad's lap while he held a knife, ready to cut my cake. Apparantely i caught my arm on the tip of the knife and i was cut pretty badly. That or my dad purposly cut my cheeky cunt self for reaching for some cake when it wasnt time

I was prepping a salad while watching anime when I cut my thumb off to the bone. I blame the lack of an English dub forcing me to look at subtitles while cooking.

working as an apprentice butcher
back into the meat grinder
got a little behind in my work

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

Not really a kitchen story, but when I worked at a coffee shop, a gallon of coffee for pickup burst in me (shitty, flimsy cardboard containers with a thin plastic bag inside). I had to and take off my pants/shirts to prevent worse burning. I have a pretty wicked burn scar, whatever you call it on my chest and thighs. Wasn't particularly traumatic, but man the company I worked for fought like motherfuckers to prevent me from getting workers comp for the 10 days I had to take off to let the burns heal.

Was trying to cut a Tootsie Roll in half with a steak knife as a kid.

The knife slipped and I cut my finger.

>burst in me
Stop using your asshole as a handbag

Sounds like Starbucks. How serious was it? Did you go to the hospital?

When I was a kid we had this mixer similar to pic related that had a handle on the top, and for some reason the tilting part could easily detach from the lower part. Anyway one time I picked it up by the handle without supporting the lower half and it just slid off and landed on my big toe. It swelled for a month or so and eventually my entire toenail came off.

Sliced off a bit of my fingertip with a potato peeler once. Scar's still there.

>>Slip on some liquid that was on the floor
Confirmed for inappropriate footwear.

>for a month or so and eventually my entire toenail came off.
>my entire toenail came off.
I physically flinched from reading that.
That's fucking gross, user.

Hope you never get an ingrown toenail, they literally grab your toenail with a clamp and rip it off at the base

Yeah I've heard it's pretty bad.

>tfw my life has been pretty injury-free
>worst cooking injury was getting surprised by bacon grease when I was little and watched my dad cook
I have nothing of meaning to contribute to this thread

Mobile brah.

Not Starbucks, but a small local chain. I was in a good deal of pain and insisted that I should go to the hospital, but the GM said that I was fine (stupid I know but I was 19 and worried about getting fired, because I needed the money and I didn't know my rights etc). It wasn't until I talked to my dad that night that I went and my folks, suffice to say were livid. They had me quit immediately and there was a small civil suit.

>ovendoor was broken
>you pretty much needed to pull on a small screw hanging out to open it
>preheat oven
>open it
>the moment I want to put in my gratin the door snaps back
>hits the back of my hand
>skin stuck to the hot as fuck ovendoor

Does it count if I burned my arm while getting coffee at work?

I once stuck my thumb in a wok of hot oil. It ballooned up and hurt like a bitch. Then the skin fell off and left me with this gross raw thumb. Good thing it was my right, and I'm left handed.

I also sliced my thumb open on a piece of rye bread. Same thumb. Yes, a piece of bread.

>I also sliced my thumb open on a piece of rye bread. Same thumb. Yes, a piece of bread.
How do you cut yourself on bread

Happy doggo

Including your feet in the picture to show your fucking shoes is one of the most cancerous things I've ever seen in my life. People are such raging faggots now.

I cut my finger once while slicing a watermelon, it wasn't very bad though.

Worst injury I've ever seen in the kitchen was this girl who had just been hired on trying to open a package of cheese with a freshly-sharpened kitchen knife by pulling the blade toward her. She cuts through the packaging and the blade comes up and hits her in the eye, knocking it right out of the socket.

When I was a dishwasher at a BBQ restaraunt one of the cooks told me the baking sheets she just gave me were just out of the oven and hot as fuck. I forgot they were hot and my forearm brushed up against one and I had myself a little first degree burn. Ran it under cold water and went back to work, and it lwft a small scar for a year then went away.

Slipped while carrying a pot of boiling water and pasta that I was about to drain and now have a large pink scar across my stomach.

Holy shit, user. What happened to her?

I was a little grill, playing on this red plastic bike (basically a toy, not a real big). Figured out how to drive it backwards, right into a larger grill. Burned me something awful. Good thing there was a portable pool in the garden, which my grandmother immediately dunked me in. Still burned about a third of my back pretty badly.
I've never really fucked up while making food myself. Probably partially because that incident left me shit-scared of heat, and I'm a pretty cowardly person by nature.

I never understood how people developed fear of fire this way. I got pretty badly burned with a blowtorch when I was a kid, and to this day I can remember the pain as vividly as when it happened. But I just ain't afraid of fire. If I weren't such a klutz I'd take it as a sign that I should cook professionally.

>Be me in year 7 (seventh grade) doing 'food tech'- basically home ec
>Opening ringpull tin of tomatoes
>Slip and cut my thumb open, blood everywhere
> 4 stitches, and it's permanently damaged.

Tfw my friend had to clean up my blood

A knife hit her in the eye, knocking it right out of the socket.

BURN OMG SO BURN LMAO

I had a very bad time with a mandolin once.

Oh, god, you poor soul.

I was cutting a lemon once and nicked the tip of my finger, and I came to tears. That fucker stung like hell. Can't imagine lemon/lime juice in a cut that big tho. Ouch.

>Used to work as a waiter in a country club
>Guy from Haiti worked there
>Used to walk around cleaning the dining area whistling and singing to himself in Haitian Creole
>Day after the Haiti earthquake
>He comes into work
>Clearly in tears
>walks around the dining room screeching and shaking the tables whilst mumbling
>nobody knows what to do
>eventually he lays down under a huge 12 seat table
>shakes it and pulls it from beneath until it falls over
>lands on his head, he gets a concussion
>never see him again

>8 years old at a bowling alley on a field trip
>"It sure is cold in here"
>Order a hot chocolate from the concession stand
>Dude empties a packet of instant Swiss Miss into a small mug of water
>Microwaves mug for 5 minutes
>Shit's at rolling boil when he serves it to me
>Sit down at a table and wait for my turn to bowl
>My turn to bowl
>Stand up, knock entire mug of down my thigh
>2nd degree burns
>16 years later and there's still a 6-inch scar

Rekt.

Grease burn on my hand while trying to deep fry some chicken, its not too bad tho

I dunno, some people are build to take risk, some are build to avoid it. I am just by nature excessively cowardly. Got stung by a bee once, have been absurdly afraid of them ever since.

Stupid old me decided to try to use an immersion blender to make pastry dough (didn't have a proper food processor at the time), and when the butter and sugar inevitably got all gummed up, I didn't unplug the fucker before I started scraping it out.

30 stitches, and I had to have tendon reattachment surgery.

my wife poured hot water in a glass pot and it exploded. she got 2nd degree burns on her belly and thigh. I have a gore pick of the first time she took the bandages off but this is a blue board.

a friend made steaks and got hot oil in his eye while he was wearing his contacts. it melted in his eye and he needed a retina transplant. it's still not clear if he will lose his eye eventually.

another one was grilling with his family. his 3y/o son fell into the firepit and got nearly lethal burns. his body looks like melted skin 2 years later.

what a mess, it looks like you're wearing an effeminate ring with some kinda web pattern

It was pretty bad. I swear though, getting all of those stitches out seemed to hurt more than the actual incident itself did.

stitching is generally a more painful business than the incident it's addressing. it's not there to treat the pain.

Goddammit cut your nails.

Carefully

No. I just hadn't taken into consideration the fact that after so many weeks, the skin/tissue heals around the stitches, so the process pulling each one out would be quite agonizing.

Last one for me, got a wicked burn using a convection steamer at work. The thing was on the fritz and after I shut it off and was reaching in to pull out my perf pan of vegetables, it randomly decided to jet hot steam at my arm.

This is what it looked like the morning after. By the end of the day, the whole area that's red in this pic had filled with yellow fluid. It looked like someone had melted Turkish delight and injected it into most of my forearm.

FUCK

what's so fuck about that, if you burn yourself on steam it'll sometimes set under your skin, just pop in and squeeze out the water and youll be fine

Lancing that thing mush have been so satisfying.

Fuck off

It's fuck the fact that he let it grow so big before lancing it

Not as much as I would have hoped. I was sort of scared that it would just explode everywhere, but it was more of a slow drip. And then it would partially refill periodically, and just slosh around in the wrinkly skin bag that was left behind.

I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get a wicked scar to show for it. But my co-workers gave me a thing of silver sulfadiazine, so it healed well.