Bout to take a big ole bite of this classic Cajun style 'gyo 'za

Bout to take a big ole bite of this classic Cajun style 'gyo 'za

That is Creole, Cajuns have nothing to do with the cuisine. the recipes and flavors of Louisiana are based on the recipes made by Black and mixed race free or enslaved chefs, cooks, and hawkers who adopted French/Spanish/"German" dishes to the ingredients and tastes of the subtropics.

The only reason why it's called Cajun is because of CODOFIL, if you actually eat Arcadian food it's not alike at all.

autism

filled to the 'rim with 'cha, just like granpere jean used to make!

>having knowledge is bad
>spewing memes is good

looks like we got a 'ot'ead ovah heah

looks like Mommy burned the tendies again

cuck

Rate my 'go 'za, guys.

could use some 'sage and grated 'san, maybe a little 'lic

just like my 'andpappy used to make

9.5/10, counter top marble selection is weak.

What do ya'll think 'bout my 'bo?

I taught myself how to make it when i was 12 and a half. (6 months ago)

Amen brotha

Me and my mom made a big pot of chicken soup. My grandmother taught me how to make chicken soup when I was 8 years old.

This meme needs to end.

There are differences between Cajun and Creole cuisine, although they're primarily in terms of typical ingredients.

But have French roots colored by their surroundings; although it's likely true that Acadian folks adapted rural creole cuisine to their own tastes, it's disparate now.

Looks pretty good actually.
Recipe?

>being this butthurt in the year of our lord, two thousand and sixteen

Are you the chicken soup chef?

That is obviously a turkey. Are you the blind man?

Cultural appropriation strikes again. Next you're going to tell us how black people invented the printing press and aquaducts, too, right?

"Cajun" is literally rural Creole cuisine without the refinement of NOLA/Biloxi/Mobile that Creole communities of every race prepared.

The entire Cajun identity is recent, back in my grandmother's day and even my parents day to call someone a Cajun was an insult, it was worse than calling someone white trash. The descendants of Cajuns assimilated into Creole communities White, black, brown, yellow and red creole communities.

It's sad but CODOFIL was a tourism related and it disrupted Creole communities with terrible effects, it racialized identity in a way that didn't necessarily exist before and erased the works of many kinds of creoles.

Creole identity is linked to the lands of Louisane/Lwizyàn
Creole was and now is not racial, only after American occupation and Jim Crow was it racialized.

This isn't a matter of cultural appropriation, Acadian refugees acculturated within the many kinds of Creole communities.

The issue is erasure of Creoleness in Louisiana.

Should you be on /pol/ or somewhere? This is a food board, not a "muh heritage" board.

Reported

What does your long winded response have to do with the glory of chicago style pizza?

Not superior Latino 'go 'za con pickles

Oh come on! My 'bo isn't that bad is it?

Cajun as a term for Acadian people not being a slur is relatively recent; Acadian as an identity is older - and it's an identity that was persecuted with slurs like Cajun.

It's true that the lines between rural creole and Cajun are real thin though; culturally speaking, there's a lot of crossover in food and music.

I mean, I can tell the difference between Cajun and Lala you know? But there's obvious crossover in genre.

If someone claimed Japanese food was Chinese on this board people would flip
A separate Arcadian identity died out long ago, Beyonce for example comes from a Arcadian refugee leader. They had assimilated into many sorts of Creole communities and what they did was considered Creole until recently.

Looking at it another way "Cajun" is a new title that erased the cultural legacy of Creole Louisiana Identity that impeded in a number of issues that have a caused unneeded tension.

you are taking this post way too seriously

Again, man. The differences are minor but there.

As my buddy said after Beyonce went claiming a lineage "what's she put in her gumbo"

Moreover, I've got a sweet disease that's not found in Creole communities but is found in people descended from Acadians.

I mean, if you really wanted to split hairs, Cajun as a term best refers to post expulsion Acadians who adapted some rural Louisiana creole customs.

But I've talked to enough self identified Cajuns and rural creole folk that can delineate between the two - and I know enough Creole chefs who scoff at the notion that they're preparing Cajun food, citing ingredient and prep differences.

>Beyonce for example comes from a Arcadian refugee leader.

Sure, sure she does. There's always some culturally important person that pops up in famous people's past, isn't there? How CONVENIENT.

>Cajun as a term best refers to post expulsion Acadians who adapted some rural Louisiana creole customs.

This.
Plus, pop culture and the media made "cajun" popular. I'm old enough to have traveled extensively in Louisiana back in the 1980s, and the only places we saw anything referred to as Cajun was waaaaaay down in the bayous, basically where the swamp trash lived. In every city or major town, even from the country stores we stopped at, everything was CREOLE.

Cajun folks essentially are swamp trash; they're French Louisiana hillbillies.

Only we ain't got no Hills. Except Monkey, and that ain't even a hill.

To be fair, there's usually some culturally important person that pops up in non-famous people's pasts as well. Many surnames, for instance, are in fact patronyms, very often indicating a notable ancestor.

The lineage is so fucking diluted, it makes absolutely no cultural or historical difference and gives no one anything to spout off about. It's all pomp, no substance.

Actually informative as shit, go shitpost elsewhere newfag

>let's not talk about food on a food and cooking board

Please go

Smells of samefag

Nope, I just finished watching Belle.
Cajun is still an insult in Creole communities for its historic implications not because they aren't a similar people.

The washing away of Creolité (creoleness) from assimilated people who themselves are not only descended from Arcadian refugees has created a false narrative of Louisiana culture and history.

Go to the bayous in the most rural parishes of Louisiana as I have and eat the foods of Creole families of any color then eat the foods of so called Cajun families (who are literally related to one another) and it will be the same save of course for touches of "secret" techniques and ingredients that generally both sides utilize.
Joseph Broussard is her maternal patriarch.
In the 1950's none would call themselves Cajun. It's like if half of the Appalachians stored calling themselves ethnically American (which according to the census they overwhelmingly do) and decided they are now HillBillies and claim they come from Melungeons who have assimilated some time ago.

You are severely misinformed. My wife's son is Cajun and the dish pictured above was made using his family's recipe

Nigga I said that, the differences between the two are minor but extant.

And yeah, there's a good bit of cross pollination. But you're off your goddamn rocker if you can't fathom a difference between a heritage going from a mark of derision to a mark of pride, whatever the surrounding circumstances.

>wife's son
>cajun
>mfw a male alligator is called a bull
ya gotta prep the bull gator

How much cream do you put in your coffee?

If it were just a matter of reclaiming a term I'd be for it but it's become more than that into an ethnicity that has in many ways completely consumed Creole cuisine, culture and identity.
?

>wiping Beyonce's ass this much

seriously, just stop, you're pathetic.

She's a Creole with many "Cajun" ancestors, most creoles have Arcadian ancestry away from the cities and every "Cajun" has non-Arcadian roots not even mentioning many Acadians weren't even French, a significant portion were Basque.

What is called Cajun is truly just rural Creole.

WE

Creole is not a race. Creole does not mean genetic blackness.

Nothing like a classic Sam Adams to wash down a zesty 'o 'a

WUZ

COOKZ

CREAMLETS GTFO

'Leans 'za?

Are any of you niggers actually from louisiana? Anywhere above alexandria doesn't count.

Why would you be proud of that?

Do Cajuns eat this?

Baton Rouge here, the weather fucking sucks.

For being born and raised in new orleans, a city world renowned for its food? Yes, more than whatever flyover cow town or hipster west coast shithole you come from.

It's gonna be ball sticking hot until mid december.

Classic Chicago! Cut me a slice!

Just put the family sized salisbury steaks in the microwave

Lake Charles here, grandparents lived a traditional Cajun life in Acadiana, and Cajun French was their first language. Both are now dead, but they passed down a lot of traditions.

I may be shooting myself in the foot here, but I'm from St. Martinville. Tired of telling people I'm from "Lafayette area". Living in BR atm though. Been here my whole life. It sucks and I can't find a job to save my life. I still don't wanna leave though...

My black grandparents speak some kind of French too....they're borderline senile now though, don't know if they still bother speaking it. Kind of sad that the last French-speaking generations are dying out.

It's not Cajun French.

>‘Cajun.’ ‘Creole.’ ‘French.’ What’s in a name?

>Why ‘Louisiana Regional French’

>It is because of this strong link between ethnic labels and language labels that we prefer to use the ethnically neutral term ‘Louisiana Regional French’ to refer to the variety—or group of varieties—that is often called ‘Cajun French’ in writings about French in Louisiana. As an ethnic label, ‘Cajun’ is usually used only in reference to whites. Yet, as we have seen, Louisiana Regional French is also spoken by many African Americans and Creoles of color, as well as by some Native Americans, who do not consider themselves Cajuns. It seems inappropriate to use such an ethnically specific label to refer to a speech variety that is widely spoken by people who do not identify themselves as members of that ethnic group. Indeed, some non-Cajun speakers of Louisiana Regional French vehemently object to their speech being labeled as Cajun.

>A legitimate argument could be made that, for similar reasons, the label ‘Louisiana Creole’ should also be replaced with a neutral alternative. After all, the term ‘Creole’ is also closely associated with an ethnic group that does not encompass all of those who actually speak that variety. While this is true, we choose to retain the label for two reasons. First, it usefully underlines this variety’s many similarities to the other French-based creole languages of the world that are commonly referred to by that label (e.g., Haitian Creole, Martinican Creole, Mauritian Creole, etc.). Second, while it is true that the term ‘Creole’ as an ethnic label in Louisiana today most often refers to people of African descent or of mixed race, it has historically been used—and in some part of Louisiana still is—to refer to white people, as well.