I've seen the Alinea balloon posted a lot, accompanied by disdain and derision. My question is why...

I've seen the Alinea balloon posted a lot, accompanied by disdain and derision. My question is why? To me it looks creative, it looks fun, and I genuinely can't understand why the ordinary person wouldn't see it in the same way.
youtu.be/cGMCmbLq2qs

Other urls found in this thread:

alinearestaurant.com/site/cuisine/
independent.co.uk/news/science/why-the-world-is-running-out-of-helium-2059357.html
youtube.com/watch?v=2Oo8QzDHimQ
bigbangneverhappened.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nice try, Grant.

Whats the pricetag? Or is this a course restaurant?

This pisses me off so much

>Alinea
>in Chicago

Of fucking course it would be in Chicago

If you could sell something that's worth 5 dollars for more than 5 dollars, wouldn't you?

>implying helium, apple, and sugar costs $5
the profit margins on that must be insane

helium is a limited resource you fucknut

So fucking what? This much helium costs you like 30 cent.

Brain cells would appear to be a limited resource in your case.

user that's not the point
I don't want to have to spell it out for you
(I don't literally mean spell it out btw)

that server is awkward af

>Helium is a limited resource
So is oxygen.
Stop breathing please.

Coursed. alinearestaurant.com/site/cuisine/
I think it's about $275 a head

Why?

helium shouldn't be in food, helium shouldn't be breathed in any way, the funny voice thing has caused many accidents because people think they are breathing but they brain simply run out of oxygen.

I worked in the florist department at Safeway before and used to inhale those little balons all te tim witf no il afects.

Plants produce oxygen. The big bang produced helium.

>Plants produce oxygen.
And CO2.

You may want to read up on the subject, professor.

did you take high school biology? Plants produce CO2

Would you go back to a restaurant for their dessert balloon more than once? I feel like taste has a much longer lasting impression. I went back to this french restaurant in my city a least 30+ times for the same few dishes and it's a place I'll never forget. Whereas the balloon is too gimmicky, if it was sold from some street vendor for $2, no one would care. But seeing as it is just one course of a dinner, it's not as offensive, the rest of the meal better be good. Because of these gimmicky dishes they serve I'd rather go to other restaurants first.

Sure they do, but they fix more than they produce.

The point, though, is that they produce oxygen, which makes it a renewable resource, not limited as you said.

Helium, on the other hand, is in limited supply, particularly on Earth.

>You may want to read up on the subject, professor.
You may want to hit those books too, plants respire O2 during the day and CO2 at night.

you just implied that they don't
im not the other guy btw

>You may want to read up on the subject, professor.
Finishing my PhD in plant pathology... try me brah.

They produce CO2 all the time, but also fix it via photosynthesis during the day. Overall they fix more than they produce.

Who said anything about CO2? What does that have to do with the subject at hand?

>""""""fix"""""" it
>implying CO2 is """"""broken""""""
what are you on about m8

Goza, amirite?

Kek

Veeky Forums threads are a fucking travesty

it's really hard to notice if you spend too much time here, you become blind to it

I just spent a week off Veeky Forums and on my first evening back it's depressing how much time I waste here

>I just spent a week off Veeky Forums and on my first evening back it's depressing how much time I waste here
My gf had a baby in December and I was really busy prior to that. I didn't visit Veeky Forums for months and nothing was lost.

I started visiting again a couple weeks ago and it is just garbage. I know summer quality is always worse, but it's pretty sad and sobering to consider the hours wasted on Veeky Forums.

I feel bad for all the people under 20 who have literally wasted their youth on Veeky Forums, especially the /pol/ crowd. I am happy I wasn't on Veeky Forums or interested in this kind of "social outlet" until later on in life... it's sad to think that there are many people in dorms spending all their leisure hours here instead of socializing, getting laid, enjoying their youth, etc. They are just getting prematurely bitter and wasting away the best years of little responsibility and maximum energy.

I really feel I need to leave, or just dial it back to the few corners with tolerable levels of shitposting. Shitposters have picked up on lax moderation on Veeky Forums and have gone wild, even relatively quiet generals I frequent have been awash lately with retards that think 4han is just about being an obnoxious retard.

It's not lax moderation

I used to mostly not shitpost, but more and more I get bans for absolutely nothing and all my posts vanish

Since there's no reason to make an effort to post intelligently, I shitpost a lot more now, since I won't really mind if a bunch of shitposts disappear

>t. Omaha

What's the matter Achatz? Cat got your tongue?

science, what have you done!

call me crazy, but i don't think inhaling helium destroys helium; you exhale it, and what little bit is absorbed by the body is eventually expelled.

"fix" as in "fixed" as in "not moving" as in "they put carbon in solid chemicals instead of gases in the air"

Pretty sure it was just a joke m80

nothin' like a 'go style 'loon

just like mama used to make

Frankly I'm upset that the janny took away my (you)

Underrated post

the gods have sent the BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAST

Fuck off

I went there for an employee of the year thing I won this year. My company has really low standards, I basically got it cause I show up every day and don't fucking steal shit.

Anyway, it was all expenses paid and I got to eat and chat with the COO of the company, the balloon was by far the least interesting part of the meal. It tasted like dried apple, that is to say, it tasted plain, not good though. It was mostly just a filler as they set up the mat and decorated the table with that chocolate sauce. I'll admit I was pretty shocked when they pretty much just dropped that fucking chocolate shell on the table like a chocolate orange, shards went all over.

All in all it was good but I wouldn't spend $250 or whatever it was on it, it was mostly just an experience type thing. It was a great novelty but the food was honestly nothing out of this realm for the prices they commanded.

The scup was excellent and the potato soup was good too, although i'm not a fan of truffle.

I'm not saying I could do any better, but considering i've mostly ignored the whole 'gastronomy' scene for a good while, I was pleasantly surprised with the experience.

My boss was enthralled the entire time, I'd imagine he spends like 5,000 dollars a day on food though so I think the finely crafted items were wasted on him.

>implying experienced staff, local tax duties, gas, and leccy are cheap.

Oh, user.

A lot of high-end restaurants actually have razor-thin profit margins, if at all. Noma (often named "the best restaurant in the world") in Copenhagen barely ever broke even, and was actually subsidized by grants from the Danish tourism authorities for a time, since people were coming to Denmark just to eat there, which was good for the wider Copenhagen economy.

I think they also got some cash for opening a business in a part of town that had been quite run-down for years.

>Paying $50 to pretend to suck off a baloon in public

women

>The Big Bang produced Helium
wrong, stars produce it from hydrogen

every element up to iron (26) was produced by fusion in stars

helium is the second most abundant element in the universe. it is not a limited resource.

retard

>tfw Chicago
>tfw always been meaning to try out some of these meme restaurants, but always end up getting Italian beef or something if I want take out

Who else knows this feel

Flyovers mad as fuck that somebody somewhere isn't eating the same chain garbage & greasy spoon shitshack food that they're used to.

What does it matter if someone wants to go to a place where you can eat a balloon for $300? Applebees is still open down the street for you.

You're defending sucking off a balloon dude

Deciding between dropping $200 on a whim at Alinea without a reservation and picking up some Portillo's is never a decision I've found myself grappling with.

You're getting angry at the thought of people paying to suck off a balloon.

FFS, not sure if retarded or just pretending ITT...

independent.co.uk/news/science/why-the-world-is-running-out-of-helium-2059357.html

>helium is the second most abundant element in the universe.

But not on Earth. the only way to get helium is to extract it from the earth as a byproduct of natural gas. Once it's in the atmosphere, it's too dissolute to make re-extraction practical.

It's a (should be) criminal waste of helium for dumb garbage.

>virtually every grocery store has balloons pre-filled with helium, which often just go to waste, but making it part of a Michelin star meal is "dumb garbage".

Those are wasteful, as well. Don't need yet more ways to waste a non-renewable medical and scientific resource.

they should give the helium to me desu

I'm surprised that they're legally allowed to advertise it as edible. Inhaling helium can be dangerous.

natural gas usage will continue to increase in coming years as other fuel sources are exhausted and it is highly unlikely that helium shortage will ever become an issue. if it were ever to become relevant the price increase of helium would make it unviable for "dumb wasteful uses" to even occur

hopefully/probably/eventually people will one day be able to sustain fusion reactions to power the world at which point helium will be practically worthless

>non-renewable
We are well on our way to creating helium.

Pretentious white people shit.........................next

He's actually right, helium is so light it can escape from earth's gravitational pull. So eventually we'll run out. Unless we keep doing nuclear tests or something, the breakdown of uranium helps produce it.

Next is their 2nd restaurant

Yeah better to be black and kill your own kind, neglect your children, and be in prison.

I unironically love the "everything from Chicago is tomato sauce" meme. Thanks for making me smile user.

its called "culture" and you left off the part about playing basketball, selling drugs and taking out high interest loans

Chemist here.

Hydrogen and helium were both created during the big bang. Peep this image, son.

You guys arguing is getting in the way of me fapping to the thought of people sucking off a balloon.

>the big bang happened

"The Big Bang theory was contradicted by observations and that another approach, plasma cosmology, which hypothesized a universe without begin or end, far better explained what we know of the cosmos."

Who are you quoting?

You know Illinois is a flyover state, right?

>The Big Bang theory was contradicted by observations
source on this

Forget it, Jake.

It's Summer Town...

youtube.com/watch?v=2Oo8QzDHimQ

Honestly, I just wanted to see if he'd post the source
Which is from a 25 year old pop-sci book, directly ripped from a 20 year old website

It's still not the leading theory for a reason
But please, feel free to pretend that you're better than anyone for calling out a summerfag
even though Veeky Forums is one of the least likely boards to even experience the summer phenomena
Which, again, has been debunked by moot several times

mic drop

I got 47% in year 12 biology and even I know you're retarded

I want your job
Is it a small company?

Nope, over 300. I was there last November before they closed for renovation.

I hardly ate the balloon/air. It got all over my face.

Someone got left behind in the education system...

I made a post saying we should delete this board the other day and it was up for like 6 hours. There are literally no mods on here from like 12-10am US time. You probably just posted at an unlucky time.

My reservation wait was about 4 months

It's not about breathing it in fucknut, helium floats to the very tippy top of our atmosphere and is light enough that it constantly escapes into space, all of the helium we have is either synthesized from hydrogen or mined out of the earth, when we run out of helium in the earth it's going to become a very rare resource until we get asteroid mining worked out.

I regularly buy dollar store helium balloons to use them to huff.

It's fun shit talking in tf2 without a voice modifier

A lot of the helium in the US comes from the midwest

So really, this IS flyover cuisine

so what you're telling me is Noma owners were making out like gangbusters WHILE not paying taxes WHILE getting subsidies?
cool.

What is the cost of labour and overhead

Or we crack nuclear fusion and helium literally becomes a by-product.

Although that plan does rely on solving nuclear fusion for Q>1, so I admit it's a bit of a reach.

yes i would definitely make a definitive judgement about the origin of the universe based on this website:

bigbangneverhappened.org/

>I genuinely can't understand why the ordinary person wouldn't see it in the same way.

The ordinary person often can't justify spending $300 for a tasting menu, much less one that includes things that are only food by the loosest definition.

the other problem is the world's yearly production of energy would only fuse enough hydrogen for, like, one decent-sized party
you could go with breeding it out of a Lithium blanket perhaps via tritium decay? to recover energy from the neutrons?
still not very much helium at all...

>Veeky Forums: Nuclear Energy Solutions and Cooking

Explain the CMB and entropy

Finally! A board that caters to my interests!