Any current or former hospitality fags on Veeky Forums?

Any current or former hospitality fags on Veeky Forums?
also, Ask a failed chef anything

Why did you give up on being a Chef?

Do you know the secret 11 herbs and spices recipe? I really need it

Doing some work on some servers now that I've swtiched careers. Feels good not coming home reeking of chopped garlic and an aching back every night.

Just started learning it, currently one year into my apprenticeship and i love it for the most part. The hours are fucked and the boss can be a real dick sometimes, but on the other side, I can imagine few jobs that would allow as much fun like 50% of the time. Pretty sure I won't stay in the business though, because one year in I already have health issues, but I'll use it to pay for university later and its to fun to quit right now.
Dont get me wrong, sometimes I fucking hate it, but its just a question of weather you can enjoy this kind of thing.

so what do you do with the buttermilk/egg mixture?

I think it's for marinading or dunking the chicken pieces before flouring them

Why would anyone become a chef
I just cant see it, even if you like cooking, if you are working at a restaurant are you not restricted in what you make, and don't you end up making the same thing over and over again? Wouldn't it become horribly repetitive? The pay and the hours also seem total dogshit.

People don't become chefs because they "like" cooking. They do it because its the only thing that gives them fulfillment in life. It drives them to wake up in the morning. It is their calling.

Think of it like this...why would anyone become a priest? Can't have sex or have kids(iirc), have to listen to peoples complaints and suffering and dedicate every moment to god. And yet we have many because it brings those people a sense of purpose and happiness. Same idea for the chef.

Nah, it's because I'm a functional alcoholic who needs a social structure that's ok with me spending my days playing with fire and knives.

that's a fucking retarded stereotype and you know it

Granted a totally true one but they all come with the passion and desire to cook

Not OP, but that is absolutely untrue. The people who work in kitchens are there because they have few skills and need the money, failed in another profession, and/or in my case, grew up working in a family restaurant and don't know (are afraid to try ) anything else. Maybe half of the people I graduated with from JWU 15 years ago are still in the industry.

marinate up to like 5 hours

How much in school debt are you in?

I am hospitality, it's like the fucking worst job for a robot.

All the girls are dating server guys, one is even dating a trans ftm.

I don't understand why anyone would care what a failed chef has to say.

People who fail have some of the best stories.

Chicken, grease, salt

Why did you fail

Currently studying hospitality and working as a baker. I actually like it, but if I hadn't chosen hospitality, I probably would have chosen bio or another natural science.

I worked in a Japanese kitchen for 2 months. I was the only cook there, and it was very difficult work. That's after some years in fast food (Taco Bell). I liked the job, but I also hated it. My boss told me the first two months would be very hard, and it would get easier from there, but I actually quit for another reason than it being too hard (opted to go to school instead).

We had no AC, and so the kitchen would get probably around 100 degrees or more, and I'd be frantically trying to make 8 different things with some concurrent prep going over there, and then my boss would poke his head back to yell at me about one little thing out of place. Nice guy, but definitely a hard-ass too. He ran a good business, and I liked the experience, but I don't think I'll be going back into the industry until maybe I'm an old fart trying to start my own place.

>one is even dating a trans ftm
That's super cool for girls to do, since they don't have to deal much with misogyny and basically get all the benefits of dating a man and a woman (except for penis).