Find out it's pronounced "pro-zhoot"

>find out it's pronounced "pro-zhoot"
>have been saying "pro-chute-oh" all this time

Why even live?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_jl_lU8BV08
vocaroo.com/i/s1P8CAsyUDwi
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's not pronounced either of those ways faggot. Indeed why live.

You're still wrong.

It's pronounced "Parma ham."

I call it "just put it in my mouth already"

>people who try to use native pronunciations

What the fuck happened to languages having their own words for things? Like fucking every city in europe has different names in different languages but suddenly now we are expected to all pronounce things in the way that poor people in their native lands pronounce them?

its definitely pronounced the 2nd way in english

>poor people

hehehhehehhehehhehe me likey

no, there is no "pro" maybe a "prah"

You mean pro-scute-oh?

that's just the silly way italians say things

like when they say "capicola ham" it just sounds like "gobba-goo"

hell, cajuns call shrimp "skrimps" so its a cultural thing

It's pronounced "pro-SHOOT-o".
Trust me I live in Milan.

cross link your post on pol witha link back to this one

youtube.com/watch?v=_jl_lU8BV08

the "prah" person is correct.

please explain how 'chute' is different from 'shoot'

Not the *way* they pronounce them, user. That's an accent.

It isn't, really.
It's just "pro-zhoot" that's retarded.

>It's just "pro-zhoot" that's retarded.
Is this something that anyone actually does? This thread is literally the first time I have encountered such a thing

Isn't it called "serrano ham's retarded cousin"?

>he bought into the southern italian/ italian american pronunciation meme

Strange I call penises that way

>what's the difference between a "ch" and "sh" sound?

non-native English speaker detected

vocaroo.com/i/s1P8CAsyUDwi

/thread

.... but it KEEPS GOING ON

>*popcron balls*

What are you talking about?
The term 'chute' is pronounced with a soft 'sh' sound, not a hard 'ch' sound in english

you obviously aren't american, they are pronounced the exact same way and you can't argue that.for example a hard 'ch' is 'chives' however 'chute' and 'shoot' are the exact same. so fuck off you pleb.

>doesn't know how to read/pronounce common english words
>calls other people non-native english speakers condescendingly

I like this meme.

South-east louisiana here. Nobody calls them skrimps. Stop spewing bullshit that makes us sound dumber than we already are with our population of hicks

dont see a cross link, you're a lying little shit.

> not calling hamburger warm ham bread sandwich
Its easier to use a single term coined by the people propagating the food, instead of translating it between each language and regional dialect.

>pro-zhoot
That's now dumb Southerners who immigrated to America pronounce things, because they're all illiterate, half-retarded brick-layers and criminals.

Hot Hamburg Sandwich.

until recently I pronouced ham burger as ham burjer.

It's pronounced parachute-oh

it's just the way you can try to write discerning sounds a la the transliterations at the start of wikipedia pages. different accents pronounce things different and it seeks clarity, but if you don't know, it's just more confusing

>tfw gf called it "pro-skewt-oh"
I cringed so hard...

>mewt-tsar-ay!

No reason to cringe if someone has never had to read the word out loud or heard it spoken before. Sometimes a person's entire family mispronounces a word so they just get fucked when it comes up around non-family

Now if they are someone who knows the right way, has been told how weird they sound, and then chooses to say it their way because "that's how I say it," fuck them and their slow assault against the english language

>No reason to cringe if someone has never had to read the word out loud or heard it spoken before.
She used to work in a deli.

Well then there is a reason to cringe or that's a shitty deli, either way, what a shame.

I honestly think it was a deli where no one pronounced the names of their meat correctly.

>What the fuck happened to languages having their own words for things?
WTF are you taking about? Languages constantly borrow from each other. Modern English in particular is a composite language, made from grafting a bunch of French onto Swedish and Germanic roots. Most English words are borrowed from another language. Many legal and scientific terms are Latin, and most of our culinary vocabulary is French.

Where does the expectation that foods from non-English speaking countries should have new English names made up for them come from? That sounds nuts. If I go to a French, Italian or Spanish (or even Mexican) restaurant I appreciate descriptions of the dishes next to their names, but I don't need new names made up for them. Would you reduce bouillabaisse to "seafood stew" and cassoulet to "pork and beans"? Pho and ramen become "noodle soup"? Tacos al Pastor become "Mexican gyros tacos"? That doesn't even make sense.

I understand the fear that pronouncing foreign words incorrectly can make you look like a yokel, but fuck, this is America - the vast majority of folks here mispronounces every non-English word they wrap their tounges around. And that's exactly how new words have always gotten into English. That's the way this language works.

>"muzzerelle"
>"re-goat"
>"chili and sea bass"
>"spaghett"

I am Cajun and I say skrimps so that counts
And our population is WAY dumber than that

I bet you say car-pee-cola too instead of gabbagool.

What? You've got it backwards, pronouncing foreign words correctly makes you a traitor

Just eat iberico,

Easier to pronounce better in every way

My point is that most of the words in English are "foreign". And it's difficult to have a serious conversation about food and wine without using a slew of terms borrowed from French.

I'm aware there's a stripe of American who bristles at foreign words in native pronunciation peppered into English. But in an immigrant nation where their grandchildren are very likely going to be speaking to their friends in Spanish and English how seriously such a gripe ought to be taken. It seems kind of silly.

>having friends who speak spanish
>being able to understand so much as a single word in spanish
Why do you hate America, traitor? I didn't work hard in school so I should be paid $75,000 a year for mopping floors, as long as I don't have to do any actual mopping.

not everyone is made of money

Not everyone is made of shkadole

It depends on context an audience. But most of the time you're going to sound like a pretentious douche and you open the floor for a lot of pedantic pronunciation corrections.

Do you really want someone to correct how you say "ramen"?

When i was a kid i said ray-min then my mom told me it was raw-min and i said that up until a year or so ago. Now i say ram-ins

I find it hard to ignore the history of this great nation hat happened to be written in French and Spanish, not to mention German.

>shkadole
this is the only image that comes up when typing that word into search. I agree, not everyone consumes so much alcohol theyre basically made of it

It's how italian americans pronounce escarole which is also italian american slang for money

Absolutely context matters. In a roomfull of people who speak several languages it'll sound completely normal. But dropping a French idiom in front of people who have never had passports could sound pretentious.

I live in a place where my neighbors speak Spanish, Polish, Finnish, Mandarin, Cantonese, and Yiddish so the sound of foreign words never sounds out of place. And pronouncing them with some semblance of the correct accent isn't a matter of pretentiousness, but a matter of making yourself understood.

>people who have never had passports
ugh, you make it sound like having a passport is actually something regular average people are expected to have

literally the only people near me who have a passport are either stuck up fuckwits who go to whole foods, and immigrant leeches who abuse the system and send money out of this country

I want nothing to do with those circles. obviously you're one of them.

>why even live?
to eat good food

>you're one of them.
Someone who has traveled a bunch both for work and pleasure? Someone who enjoys different cultures and cuisines? Someone who can get by in a couple languages beyond English? Yeah that's me. I'm incredibly being American doesn't mean I'm under house arrest in my own country and can't visit others. It's a big fucking world out there, and while I love my home corner of it there are plenty of other places well worth seeing.

had some at a fancy Spanish restaurant and thought it was mediocre

Damn how poor are you?

>"chili and sea bass"

terrific

Obviously poor enough to think being "regular" and "average" are virtues.

I sense a lot of butthurt jealously coming from that user.

Well here in Spain is commonplace. What a shitty global trade if it's so expensive outside this country. Once I gave this as a gift to some japanese and they thought it was valued at 100 dollars. It cost me 5€.

cocoa powder and cacao powder is a good example of this. They are used interchangeably in some places but are different things in other places

How is the pizza in Zaragoza?

I can smell your mustache wax from here

If I were a poor American living in the middle of nowhere with little chance to escape, do something interesting with my life or even get a decent bite to eat I wouldn't be butthurt, I'd be mad as hell.

>implying the upper midwest is the middle of nowhere
Maybe if you're some liberal shit for brains in New York or San Francisco
>escape
Why would I want to escape the best place to live in the world?
>do something interesting with my life
I have no interest in doing rose water enemas with gay intellectuals in downtown new york, thanks though
>get a decent bite to eat
You've obviously never had real Wisconsin cheese

So you're somewhere between butthurt and mad as hell

tony hawk's pro-ska-ter

>the upper midwest is the middle of nowhere
It's pretty fucking close.

hey, fag

The UP is the middle of fucking nowhere

But the paper plate, the plastic fork

how does that change its taste or texture?

It doesn't, it just degrades the experience. The same way drinking wine from a coffee cup or eating over the sink.

I used to have a favorite place to buy éclairs before getting on the train, I'd eat the éclair on the way home.

One day there was a sporting event or something, and the train was particularly crowded, so I had to take a seat near the toilet.

I ate the éclair while the sounds and occasional smells of toilet came billowing out of the toilet stall, and to this day I find éclairs disgusting.

And to think there are people who find it acceptable to eat on styrofoam or use plastic utensils. Their entire gastronomic experience is literally shit.

I ate an eclair off the top of the garbage one time

>motz-la-lelluh

I don't mind styrofoam and plastic utensils if I'm getting a cheap curry from the Punjabi cabbie stand or fried noodles from a cart in Chinatown, because then it's just part of the experience - you're eating street food the way the street food gods intended. But to do that at home because you don't want to have to wash up the dishes after? I hope I'm never that depressed.

what do italians call prosciutto?

>The difference between the way Americans and the French say Paris is just an accent!

Get the fuck outta here

>you're eating street food the way the street food gods intended.
Street food gods intended you to eat off the same grubby bowl as the last guy who ate at that cart, that gets wiped off by the same grubby rag, and then you get explosive diarrhea.

Styrofoam is for sheltered little girls who have only ever eaten whitewashed "street food" from bleached, pussified vendors in first world countries.

Illinois?

Gay Perry

To be fair, the Punjabi cabbie stand just stopped using styrofoam, and I don't mind one bit because some of the curry would always melt into the bowl when the nuked it in the microwave.

>"oh user, you like prossecuto, don't you"

>"mother..."

My aunt pronounces everything wrong she calls pecorino pecker-roni, she calls pinot peen-yo, she calls Siri Syria, im sure there's a ton more i just can't think of right now

Come on, he bear hiccough

I'm almost positive it's only American Italians. All the real Italians I've crossed paths with say the whole word.

I just call it a meme food.

CARMELLA