I just got a new job in a kitchen at a fancy place and I think its about time I got my own good knife...

I just got a new job in a kitchen at a fancy place and I think its about time I got my own good knife. I dont know much about knives so could anyone point me to a good one?

Im a Pantry Chef so I dont cut meat much mostly just refilling my salad station and whatnot.

Other urls found in this thread:

japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn-stainless-kasumi-240mm-wa-gyuto/
amazon.com/Wusthof-Classic-Nakiri-Vegetable-Hollow/dp/B002NXNFZO?ie=UTF8&keywords=nakiri&qid=1465291723&ref_=sr_1_cc_7&s=aps&sr=1-7-catcorr
amazon.com/Wusthof-Classic-Hollow-Ground-Nakiri/dp/B003R3XQIU?ie=UTF8&keywords=nakiri&qid=1465291723&ref_=sr_1_2&s=kitchen&sr=1-2
cookingforengineers.com/article/129/Chefs-Knives-Rated
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Tojiro DP until you can afford something better.

Get some random damascus so you can fit in with the other idiots.

CCK Cleaver if you want to learn skills.

Goko 240mm gyuto if you want a legit knife. Value for price is superb.

Gesshin Ginga if you don't like heavy knives.

Beyond 250 USD it's personal preference.

Marie can chop onions with a butter knife and you can learn to do the same, Wannabe Masterchief Cuck

japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn-stainless-kasumi-240mm-wa-gyuto/

This knife. There is nothing better for you right now.

>Get some random damascus so you can fit in with the other idiots.

This shit frustrates me so much.

fan of german steel here, so:

amazon.com/Wusthof-Classic-Nakiri-Vegetable-Hollow/dp/B002NXNFZO?ie=UTF8&keywords=nakiri&qid=1465291723&ref_=sr_1_cc_7&s=aps&sr=1-7-catcorr

amazon.com/Wusthof-Classic-Hollow-Ground-Nakiri/dp/B003R3XQIU?ie=UTF8&keywords=nakiri&qid=1465291723&ref_=sr_1_2&s=kitchen&sr=1-2

This looks pretty solid to me OP.

For reference, when a small maker adds kasumi to the name of the knife, it denotes more care than usual was put into its making, the quality of the materials is higher, and generally represents one of their best works.

Honkasumi or Hongasumi denote their best works and best quality materials.

While a Honyaki is a masterwork knife, forged from one piece of steel. Not terribly efficient to make, and extremely difficult, however when finished is the highest level of kitchen tool you can buy. They are usually one-off or custom orders, and are very rare and very expensive. I don't recommend using one in a commercial kitchen unless you own the place.

Exactly.
The Japanese would never use their own words out of context because honor.
If a Japanese knife maker says it's "homeysucko", you can take it for granite that it is for sure legit, senpai.

>unless you own the place.
...wut?

Did some japanese blacksmith rape your wife or something? Any legitimate maker in the world will use terms to denote higher quality products. Get your head out of your ass

These look good and the price is reasonable. I've never been a fan of the granton edge though. These knives are good workhorses if you don't prep many proteins. But they can do some protein work in a pinch. The lack of a tip can be limiting. However, in the past I've used the heel as a tip when possible(IE removing stems)

>Any legitimate maker in the world will use terms to denote higher quality products.
That's kind of what he just said. What did you read?

Basically, they're over 1000$ starting, and not something you want to walk off your station or be abused by a random line cook. If you're the chef or owner of the restaurant it's unlikely your tools will be touched without your permission. You don't need to be, but some cooks take liberties with other peoples tools.

Op dont buy a fucking 200 dollar knife to start with.

I've worked for two different James Beard winning chefs, and even though some >le cordon bleu dickbags scoff, I always get knives at local pawn shops. You're bound to find an ex-cooks knives he sold to afford his habit whatever it be. It's more about maintenance and regular sharpening when you're talking about professional use.

Live a little.
Let him destroy a new toy so he can experience the joys of losing a few hours of your life trying to restore an edge.

You want to bring your own knife in to your kitchen job?

Many kitchens require it. And the ones that don't have the shittiest knives they can get away with due to employees being retards

If you want something you can beat the hell out of and not feel bad, buy a dexter. otherwise i'd recommend a morakniv. i bought one last year thinking i'd have an expensive beater and so far it's better than all that german stuff people go nuts for

>nice things are a scam, I use a survival knife in the kitchen and I can cook circles around five-star micheline chef's like rachel ray and alton brown, why would anyone waste money on overpriced memes?

... you know they make chef knives right?

>over $1000 starting

untrue. The guy who made Hiromoto Knives sold some Honyaki for about $200...it depends on the maker

I imagine the steel is nice but the handles look shit from an ergonomics perspective. I've handled them in a store out of curiosity but never done actual work. What's it like working with for a day?

It's actually not that bad. The drawback isn't the handle; it isn't the worst but it isn't the best. it's how thin that bolster is. Unless you already have a callus on your finger, it's gonna dig in for awhile.

It's a great knife though. If you can find them i'd suggest buying one. It's still freaky to think about how light it is and it be as strong and sturdy as it is

Is this an 'impressive' knife or just eye candy?

Works fine for me.

Cutco blades are god tier. Much better than all the japanese shit that gets worshipped around here because unlike the japanese shit, the cutco blade will still be sharp 5 years later and not rusted 3 days from now.

if you want the best of both worlds get yourself a 2000/5000/10,000 set of japanese wet stones and learn how to use them.

rebevel that thing to a 17.623 degree angle. you'll literally have a knife that not a single japanese blade can touch.

personally i don't get what's so great about them. i tried one once. the blade was alright but that handle is awkward as hell

Here OP
cookingforengineers.com/article/129/Chefs-Knives-Rated
tl;dr get a Victronox Fibrox chef knife or a spend more and get a Global G2 Chefs knife

That article is a bit dated, the general ideas are still valid but the market has changed and the price/performance info is way off base, particularly the recommendation for victorinox which is not a particularly good deal anymore

inb4 a dozen neophytes try to justify their purchases, yes I get it you're mad that you paid $35+ for a $15 knife

Isn't the blade near the bolster just as thin on the really light Japanese chef's knives?

>victorinox which is not a particularly good deal anymore

Americas Test Kitchen still recommends it as their best budget knife and it still regularly outperforms other high quality knives in their extensive tests. if you look ad the price increases of any of the other knives in that test you would see they have gone up by a fair bit as well. Not as great a percentage increase as the victorinox for sure but still enough to keep victorinox firmly as the budget winner.

My new knife. Masamoto 240mm Stainless Gyuto. It's fantastic! I got a 1000 grit stone the other day, any tips on sharpening?

ATK advice should only be slavishly followed if you're a clueless young adult living independently for the first time ever and are afraid of exercising any actual judgment

You can find fibrox at any bed bath and beyond, and yeah, compared to the other cheap knives they have, it's the best

That doesn't make it some gold standard that everyone on a budget should buy

Global, in my opinion, is the best knife on the market - especially great for you because you aren't doing a lot of meat cutting

I have a fucking huge dexter chinese cleaver I got in the bargain bin at a restaurant supply like 6 years ago and it's still tanking anything I throw at it

>Im a Pantry Chef

You're a fucking cook, and hardly even a cook, considering you dont, you know, cook.

Seriously this. Lost a really nice knife that I put many hours on the fucking edge and some nigger at school stole it, fucking ghetto culinary school so shit

>garde manger

don't drop a couple hundred on a knife

>That doesn't make it some gold standard that everyone on a budget should buy

uh, but... by the definition of gold standard and budget... that would actually make victorinox the best.

and yeah... uh.. >ATK advice should only be slavishly followed if you're a clueless young adult

right.. cause no other members of society would benefit from a professional unbaised organization doing rigorous testing in a field they know a lot about and publishing their results...

dexter russel is a great alternative to victorinox. if you own anything other than these brands you paid too much. you might have a better knife - but exactly how sharp do you need a knife to be you autistic faggots?

pantry fries shit bro

totally a cook

But that's the point. Dexter is basically the same knife for half the price

Also, did you actually just imply that better knives are sharper? Are you judging knives by out of the box sharpness? Really? I think maybe you should refrain from offering opinions on knives from now on...