How do I cook one of these? I know they don't have much fat so I need to find a way to keep them moist...

How do I cook one of these? I know they don't have much fat so I need to find a way to keep them moist. What do you suggest?

>inb4 stew. I don't want rabbit stew. Fuck that

Other urls found in this thread:

allrecipes.com/recipe/19938/beer-basted-rabbit/?internalSource=rotd&referringId=16356&referringContentType=recipe hub
stcatharinesstandard.ca/2008/12/08/police-looking-for-cow-killer-in-cold-case
elkusa.com/Whitetail_venison.html
simplyrecipes.com/recipes/rabbit_in_mustard_sauce/
honest-food.net/wild-game/rabbit-hare-squirrel-recipes/
m.wikihow.com/Make-a-Rabbit-Snare
youtu.be/XWT9BFr-uLY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

allrecipes.com/recipe/19938/beer-basted-rabbit/?internalSource=rotd&referringId=16356&referringContentType=recipe hub

was pretty good.

google it faggot

>razor sharp tiny bones
>have to dissect it for hours using a microtome
>as expensive as actually good meat
>gnarly and tough except for a loin the size of a piece of dental floss
fun fact: rabbit just isn't very good, the only reason it's still eaten is that, like mead, fedora-tippers think that somehow old = good

assuming you're stuck with it, braising it is pretty much the only way out

Remove the front half of the animal, keep the haunches and everything south of the shoulder blades.
I like to simmer them in a NC BBQ sauce (chili, sugar, salt and vinegar or just look up a recipe) until the meat falls off the bones. Pick out the bones (not that painful of a procedure) and enjoy.
Makes excellent sliders with a bit of cole slaw.

I can only assume your family doesn't do much hunting.

>Eating rabbits

Might as well go to china and have some "chicken". Faggot.

I fail to see how blasting the ribcage into tiny pieces with an uzi is going to fix the "razor sharp tiny bones" problem, let alone any of the rest of that

But yes, we're more of a fishing kind of family because fish are practically designed to be eaten with only a few simple steps, unlike land animals that basically require you to go full jeffery dahmer

Spotted the veganfag

>inb4s his own posts
Grind it, stuff it into a sausage casing, freeze it, and go fuck yourself with it.

Because eating fish, chicken, pigs, cows, and so on, makes me vegan. Right.

Some of us have accepted that it's the modern era and there is no compelling reason to mangle your food with piece of hot lead, other than indulging a ridiculous fantasy of "frontier self reliance" despite the fact that everything in your elmer fudd getup having been manufactured by child slaves in the people's republic of china.

I like cheap meat.

If you live that far out in the middle of nowhere that you can blast at random animals without attracting the police or burning $80 worth of gas getting to somewhere that it's safe to do so, why not just hack off part of your neighbor's cow with your Veeky Forums-approved fibrox meme knife?

The odds of being caught are quite low:

stcatharinesstandard.ca/2008/12/08/police-looking-for-cow-killer-in-cold-case

Why are you being so hateful and ignorant?

Sorry about your mother, may she rip in peace

You started it

>>spend 80 dollars
>>get animal worth something around 500
elkusa.com/Whitetail_venison.html
seems like a good deal to me.

I can totally understand the cost/benefit calculus for larger animals like deer

I just don't see the point of obliterating 3 pound rabbit with bullet or a wad of pellets, and then spending 6 hours with a scalpel trying to (mostly) avoid lead poisoning, before you get to the part where you separate the bones and start slow-cooking the meat so it doesn't taste like fucking leather, which it does

Okay, to start out I'll say I've never cooked rabbit before... however I cook a lot of game birds and some of them can be dry as fuck... here is what I do with those to keep them moist.

1st, you need a proper roasting pan with the rack, you can get them cheap or expensive, doest matter but that rack is important. 2nd, you need roasting bags Reynolds makes them, other companies as well, what is important is that the bag has to be big enough for the pan and everything to go inside. 3rd, you need plain wooden toothpicks.

I start out by preparing a stuffing, there are shit-tons of stuffing recipes and pre-made stuffings... I add about 1/8 cup of melted bacon grease and 1/2 lb browned pork sausage to whatever recipe I use to make the stuffing, why? Because the grease helps lock in the meat's natural moisture. Once the bird is stuffed, I use the toothpicks to pin raw bacon to the outside of the entire bird. Again... locking in the moisture. Then, if the body cavity is not adequate to hold the stuffing in on its own, I will wrap the bacon wrapped bird in very loose cheesecloth, just to keep it all held together. Put vegetables, more grease, and vegetable stock in bottom of pan, put bird on rack, rack in pan, pan in bag, bag in oven, and roast it until the internal temperature hits the level it needs to be. Cook the rest of the stuffing separately etc. Now when you finish roasting, the bacon wrapping and stuffing can all be tossed if you don't want to repurpose them, or are concerned that the stuffing didn't get to the right temp. But the meat... the delicious succulent meat... will be amazing... and if you are worried rabbit will be dry, I'm sure this method will make not dry rabbit.

Smear that fucker all over with softened butter, sprinkle on whatever spices you fancy, put it in a tray with some vegetables and bake for an hour at 350 F. That's what I did with this rabbit I shot last year, one of the best meals I ever ate.

Why not just stuff the rabbit inside a whole hog and roast the hog?

That could work too, but this way you can cook more than 3-4 rabbits/pig

>as expensive as actually good meat.

you need to get one or two of these and a pellet gun.

Stuff it with herbs, wrap it in bacon & roast.

I really don't know what to make with squirrel or rabbit that isn't some form of stew.

Wild poultry on the other hand....

See

I usually just grill squirrels whole

Rabbit pie is fucking fantastic

does that really exist? I thought it was just a comic device for bugs bunny.

I always wanted to try it. rabbit stew is tasty.

Make bunny burgers like on river cottage. He mixed pork in with the mince to keep them moist.

This guy knows what's up. My mum made rabbit pie a number of times growing up, tastes fucking great.

Just do like what most people do with chicken and only eat the legs and torso. no reason to scrap the ribs.

I wonder if people actually made the math and how much rabbits they need to get the investment of 2 trained dogs + a weapon permit + the usual gadgets hunter uses during a hunt session

Like most hobbyists who are in way deeper than they originally planned, some kind of tricky accounting is needed to rationalize the expense
>what do you mean you BUY coffee? all you need is a commercial roasting machine, extensive modifications to your kitchen to vent the smoke, a place to store green beans, a couple of steel burr commercial grinders, and a slayer espresso machine! you can save hundreds of dollars every year!

Battered and fried.

>How do I cook one of these?

Do it Nazi style. Hasenpfeffer

you don't need a permit to own any kind of gun in vermont. Pretty sure you don't need a permit to own a pellet gun anywhere in the states.
also, training the dogs is fun and doesn't really cost anything. beagles pretty much know what to do, you just have to reward them for tracking the rabbit. if you keep them as pets it's something fun to do with your companion animal.
a good skinning knife is less than $100, if you have land you can just clean them and hang them outside to bleed. rabbits breed so fast there isn't really a season if you own land in vermont. there technically is, but the fish and wildlife police don't really care if it's on your land.

Fried in garlic and white wine sauce, fried in tomato sauce with bell peppers, rabbit paella.

My uncle is like this:
>$15k shotgun
>$1200 hunting jacket
>$extremely expensive meat grinders and shit
>$???? land rover
>$7466 worth of special tools for making your own ammunition
>$28$92£Ggs??j9 meat dehydration devices
>¥who the fuck knows knives and shit
oh check out all this meat, it was only the cost of the permit!!
>my aunt's face -_-
Still, nothing as bad as the survivalists who legit think their assault rifles and 50000 pounds of stale beans are a good "investment", he's just an out of control foodie who discovered guns and manages to avoid the delusions that afflict the average gun owner

>>$7466 worth of special tools for making your own ammunition

wtf?

my hawk and i caught a handful of rabbits recently

we are monitoring this thread

I don't know all the numbers, I just know some of his guns cost more than a car, and they use some obscure British ammo that he decided is "cheaper" to make his own despite having to buy a ton of special gear

like a work bench with powder scale and press probably

lots of gun enthusiasts reuse their brass bullet casings because it saves money

Rabbit Confit

>Season heavily with 3:1 ratio of salt to sugar, add on dried herbs, cracked pepper, or thin (I'm talking paperthin) garlic slices and let rest overnight.
>Rinse seasonings off
>Submerge in cooking fat in a dutch oven or similar dish. I've got a blend of lard, shmaltz, and duck fat accumulated from lots of previous cooks that I clarify and use for this, but you could get away with just olive oil or something.
>Cook in a 220 degree oven until the meat has started to draw away from the bones and they have a little give when wiggled.
>Take em out and store in the fat until ready to use

You can broil or pan sear the pieces real quick, using the infused fat to roast some potatoes on the side or to cook aromatics for a wine sauce or somesuch, or you could dip them in mustard (your choice of what kind, I tend to go for the stronger stuff), then hit them with your usual 3 step dredge and flash fry them. And I do mean FLASH fry them. Get that oil as hot as you dare, drop them in, and take them out as soon as they're nicely browned. The meat is already fully cooked, so all you're looking to do is get the crust good and crisp and warm the interior to a good eating temp.

Braising is the clear choice. You could also straight up roast it but then you'll need to regularly baste it and would be wise to lard it as well. Larding and basting would help to approximate the tenderness and flavour available from a good braise but require more effort and might not do the job if you aren't on top of your game.

Marinate it for a few days with vinegar, red wine, salt, rosemary, cloves, juniper berries, bay leaf, black peppercorns, rosemary, and thyme. Brown it with some butter and onions and then stick it in the oven for a couple of hours, depending on the size of the rabbit. You'll want to put the leftover marinade in there, because that'll be the base for your sauce/gravy. You'll mix in some sour cream at the end to thicken it up.

I'm just chiming in here for fucks sake, but the total cost for me to get a permit, take one of the several shotguns/rifles I inherited out with me and to grab one of my family pets for a nice walk in the woods near my house is $11 for a small game permit and $7.99 for a box of 25 shells. I can limit out pretty easily if walking with a friend and there dog. Honestly cleaning isn't even that bad if you are mindful of digging the shot out.

you shoot a rabbit with a shotgun? you shoot one with anything bigger than a .22?

Pls post pic of said bird.
Also the French have the best recipes for rabbit. I've made this recipe before when I was staying I France and you could pick up rabbit any supermarket: simplyrecipes.com/recipes/rabbit_in_mustard_sauce/

Tons of recipes:
honest-food.net/wild-game/rabbit-hare-squirrel-recipes/

Not that user but #6 size upland game shot is perfect for rabbit and squirrels.

Why are you americucks all talking guns? I've been catching rabbits with simple snares for decades.

m.wikihow.com/Make-a-Rabbit-Snare

Melange... means assorted mixture...

Many states do not allow taking game with snares legally. Trapping also has a lot of rules and regulations in general.

Thats gay, its not like you are leaving a dangerous trap that will snap someone's ankle, its two sticks and some string

I dont care where i live, nobody is going to stop me setting up snares around my garden

Look up a braised rabbit recipe.

there's only one way to eat a brace of coneys

It's a Dune reference.

Oh, I got the reference, may your cryskife chip and shatter...

Yummy

one of my favourite meats. really under rated. low and slow is the key

its just chicken with harder meat
the only way you are even going to enjoy it its cooked in sauce to tender it
its really not worth the effort unles you can hunt them then its free shitty chicken

Its only harder if you fuck it up

>He can't sneak close enough to shot the head
Lrn 2 hunt.

Bunnies are for cuddling you faggot

>cuddling
pervert

I've done terribly with grilling rabbit. Stringy and tough when I was done. I'd really recommend a slow cooking process like a stew or something

Aw he's so cute

OP, I legit want to try rabbit. I live in the city though and can't legally fire of a .22 to kill one of these yard-rats. Would an air powered pellet gun work for a clean kill to the head?

Yummy bunnies cuddle my tummy from the inside :3

I suggest râble de lièvre aux champignons, en papillote
use the rest of the animal for a soup
you could do a confit
you could sous-vide it with a bit of garlick, carrot and olive oil
you could do pulled rabbit sandwiches, just as you do pulled pork

because we have them and it's something fun to do with your dog if you have a scent hound, which are also pretty common in the states.

Braising is the only real option, and if it's a summer rabbit, enjoy your worms.

Not OP, but I've dispatched them when they get into the garden with my .22 1000fps air rifle You've got to make a clean head shot though, there isn't enough kinetic energy transfer to put them down with a shot though the shoulders/heart, the pellet just passes through them and they pathetically flop around until you break their neck. It's kind of gruesome desu.

As points out, yes shotguns are traditional for all small game hunting especially when using dogs. Hell they even put a picture on the box. It's the same reason they put a picture of your mom's face doing an impression of a glazed donut on the "giant coon loads" box. It is what they are meant for.

youtu.be/XWT9BFr-uLY

this sure looks difficult.

He conveniently ignored the big ass hole in the side, no doubt with significant amounts of lead

It's funny to see people freak out over aluminum pans but no one gives a shit about lead

It's basically impossible with small game to eat the meat without either significant lead intake, or throwing out a lot of meat

But unfortunately until it becomes ok to buy and use steel ammo, rednecks will keep giving themselves brain damage on exchange for "free" food

The rest of us will eat animals killed without spray-injecting a bunch of toxic heavy metals into the flesh at hypersonic speeds, inb4 I'm a pussy for actually thinking this is an issue

Just shoot the cunts in the head with a pellet rifle.

>It's basically impossible with small game to eat the meat without either significant lead intake, or throwing out a lot of meat

>Not knowing how to make a wire chocker

Chocker is probably not the right word, but I don't know how you call them in English. Either way, it's easy as fuck to make.

While it is an issue, the whole point of shooting the little fucker is that you cease circulation immediately. The dust is cleared during the shot and the body doesn't have time to break down and metabolize the lead so yes, ultimately your a worried faggot. Also: were the Fuck are you that steel is hard to find? My only gripe is my field gun is old and I don't want to thrash it shooting steel. If tungsten weren't Fuck off expensive I'd be happy to shoot it,simply because I'd prefer one shot for waterfowl and game but such is life.

>everything old is bad!!!!!
>we are the best cause we live in the present!!!

Your no better than the fedora tippers ya faggot

I believe we murkans call it a snare

Your speculation has been shown to be false - blood tests of game eating people show higher blood concentrations of lead compared to non-game-eating people

Guess who had the highest levels? That's right, people who eat small game in particular. Although even with deer, 60% of tested samples had lead particles visible under MRI

nice citation of sources bruh,

It's easy to google it, unless you have the google-fu of a 90 year old grandma you'll have no trouble

I mean if someone told me I eating lead I'd probably care enough to spend 30 seconds checking on the claim

Of course, I'm not eating lead - you are

So instead of re-googling, I'll just point out how funny it is that you'd rather argue with me than check up on that stuff

Name people of the past that were better than us.

so then you have no credible study to cite despite the fact that you used exact numbers, well guess what? anyone can pull numbers out of their ass, and I don't have the time or the inclination to google everything someone claims when they can't be assed to provide a source for their claims

newton for one

>meat
>beer
>garlic

Thanks for the informative useful recipe. You are such a great help!

Your body, not mine. Like I said - I found this stuff in seconds. But hey, your e-peen is more important than your health, so just scream "citation needed" again, and tell yourself that it's going to be fine.

I wonder, were you born dumb, or are we witnessing the signs of lead exposure right here in this thread?

>I can't prove my point so I'll impugn his intelligence
ok kid whatevs

Also: your die hard scientifically unassailable studies fail to miss that lead dust is a big part of handling ammunition. Not necessarily from the meat itself.

There's a Russian recipe for chicken (I forget the name) that might work well: you pierce the meat and I bet cloves of garlic -loads of it, maybe paired with a sauce made of whole grain Dijon, thickened with sour cream, perhaps some Rosemary made from the drippings from the method this user suggested (like roasting a turkey essentially). That's just off the top of the head. Also, the other anons are correct about using the hind quarters, etc.

* put it in the holes
>writing is hard

Also ditch the bag, wrap the little sh*t in cheese cloth and baste it with butter

separate the loin and legs then sous-vide for a few hours and then deep fry southern style. Very nice.

Google "Stifado" and make it in a slow-cooker. It's red-wine, tomato and shallot stew that was originally made to be cooked with rabbit so you're good.