Is it even fucking possible to make good fish and chips at home?

is it even fucking possible to make good fish and chips at home?

i'd buy them at vendors but it seems so unhealthy when they wrap them in old newspapers. the ink could be poisonous and i don't feel like getting poisoned.

>is it even fucking possible to make good fish and chips at home?

Yep. Beer batter is easy as fuck and then you just need a nice thick piece of your favourite fish. Cod, Haddock, Flathead and whiting all good choices imo.

You have full control of the batter to fish ratio too so you can get a lovely crisp batter that complements the thick, juicy fish instead of the 75% batter, 25% fish half the fish and chip stores lump you with now.

Chips are easy to make well at home.

pro tip: the ink's not poisonous

how do I make a lighter batter?
I use white flour and water let it sit for an hour in the fridge then add some baking soda.
corn starch maybe? or do i use an egg wash ?

even if it was what fucking difference does it make

we're bombarded with carcinogens everywhere we go, you should be much more worried about the fumes at the gas station or exposure to the sun than eating off newspaper.

what are you trying to live forever or something

>Fridge

I cover it and let it sit to room temperature.

Also, add beer.

it's not? why don't you go and lick some newspapers right fucking now if it's not poisonous, you fucking mong?

Pretty sure it's made with vegetable based dye

i was completly shock when my dad made some for fish tacos, he not a chef but there crispy and juicy like fish n chips. Made me crave tartar sauce t b h
so yes

It's made out of soy which has estrogen that will make you grow tits and poison your mind so that you begin acting and thinking like a woman. Sounds pretty dangerous to me but it would explain all the cuckoldry going on in the United Khaliphate.

>soy which has estrogen
fuck i drink soy milk all the time , where are my tits?

Dont forget to add malt vinegar to your beer batter.

is it bad if I can't tell if this trolling or a genuine post anymore?

So in theory if I kept a cute nubile boy in my basement and force fed him a diet of mainly soy sauce he'd eventually grow a nice pair of breasticles?

I feel this way about a lot of posts I read.

I just realized how the whole "soy gives you boobs" thing falls apart.

Do asian chicks naturally have big boobs?

There you go

>Soybeans contain isoflavones called genistein and daidzein, which are one source of phytoestrogens in the human diet. Because most naturally occurring phytoestrogens act as selective estrogen receptor modulators, or SERMs

>Men

Because of the phytoestrogen content, some studies have suggested that soybean ingestion may influence testosterone levels in men. It has been hypothesized that soy foods and enterolactone may increase the development of prostate cancer although no significant associations were observed for the soy isoflavones.[165] Furthermore, soy consumption has been shown to have effect on the levels and quality of sperm.[166] A 2009 meta-analysis of the research on the association between soy consumption and prostate cancer risk in men concluded that "consumption of soy foods is associated with a reduction in prostate cancer risk in men."[167]

>Brain
>Though there is some evidence that estrogen can help protect and repair the brain after injury in rats,[168] there is also evidence that phytoestrogens may be harmful for the recovery of rats in other situations[169] that have sustained brain injury.

Similarly, epidemiological evidence of humans eating soya products is currently divided: a study of Japanese men between 1965 and 1999 demonstrated a positive correlation between brain atrophy and consumption of tofu meals.[170]

A 2001 literature review noted that disturbing data on soy's effect on the cognitive function of the elderly existed.[171] In 2008, an epidemiological study of 719 Indonesian elderly individuals found that tofu intake was associated with worse memory

I'm trying to remember this right now (I'm tired and can't find the papers), but I recall someone about how the gut microbiome affects the uptake of various soy isoflavones. Basically, some of the benefits of soy aren't seen in Western populations versus Asian populations and the idea is because our gut microbiomes are quite different.

Yes.
It gives men boobs you stupid cunt, or rather raises their estrogen levels which gives them breasts apart from other negative side-effects.
This is why Asian "men" make the best ladyboy twink faggot boipussy neoteny fags on the planet after the nordic blondes.

>estrogen doesn't affect women

cool story, bro

I live in a grotty little corner of Northern England and have been all over the coast up here, and I haven't seen a chip shop use newspaper at all since the mid 90s. Even then it was as an outer layer, purely for insulation. The food only came into contact with a bag made of food grade greaseproof paper that was closed and then wrapped in the newspaper.

Where the fuck do you live OP where, in 2016, they actually wrap food in direct contact with newspaper? Because that is unsanitary as fuck. If you're telling the truth I can only assume this is a lone, renegade chip shop that has somehow slipped through the health inspection net.

Who gives a fuck about women? They already have it naturally running throughout them that's why they're all fucked up to begin with. Back to your cuckshed faggot.

I will, because I'm not a germaphobe afraid of dying from some newspaper.

Nut up buttercup, it won't kill you

wouldn't like the excess of estrogen in the woman's diet cause her body to naturally start producing testosterone?

I don't know shit about anything aside from smash bros, but maybe thats why their boobs stay smallish

>wrap them in old newspapers
I have never seen this in my lifetime. Come across some packed in novelty greaseproof with newsprint on it

>why don't you go and lick some newspapers right fucking now if it's not poisonous, you fucking mong?
If you honestly believe you can tragically die from licking paper you are super sheltered

Bitta corn starch, bitta paprika for colour. Rice flour instead often helps

Nobody fucking wraps them in newspapers. That's fucking stupid.

I made it at home once with just a regular pot and and a cooking thermometer. Googled the recipe for the batter and found one from Jamie Oliver's website or something. I made them into bite sized pieces though since the diameter of the pot wouldn't have been able to fit the whole fish. Made the chips myself too and it turned out pretty fucking good actually, at least for a first try.

I guess you would use a fry daddy, right? Can't get any decent tartar sauce in the stores. And our fish camp shut down, which was delicious.

The best fish and chips I've ever had I made at home using grandma's deep fryer.

Rice flour is your best bet. Be sure to rid of any excess.

Pic related is not rice flour, but ale, yeast and ap flour = thick, crunchy batter.

What a fail.

Why would you try this bate on an Americsn dominated site. They don't know how it's wrapped these days.

You're a fucking moron, holy shit.

I'm wary of special deep fryer gadgets. They're loaded with "safety" features that only someone who has no business being in the kitchen at all would need, and the oil doesn't bounce back to your target temp quickly enough. I'd say to use a cast iron dutch oven or somesuch with a thermometer and keep a close eye on the temp and a steady hand.

I have no idea if its traditional, but I always coat my fish with cornstarch before I give it the batter dip. It seems to help the batter stick to the fish and develop a nice sturdy craggy crust.