Why are 'biscuits' so popular in America? Aren't they just scones?

Why are 'biscuits' so popular in America? Aren't they just scones?

No
they are flakier and softer

they look like they would taste like babby rusks.

a scone is a biscuit that you fucked up and overcooked so that its super dry and crumbly

They don't.

>go to Great England to visit cousin
>takes me a pubic house
>order biscuits and gravy
>get this
>wtf?!?!

kek

Do they actually have scones in America? Or are they called biscuits?

That's cookies and milk, retard. Nobody would call it biscuits and gravy

We have them, but they aren't very popular. I only see them at certain bakeries and hotel breakfasts. Biscuits and bagels are much more popular, although I'm not sure how apt of a comparison those are to scones.

I'm not so sure.
This is the same country that says "sarnie" and "butty" instead of sandwich.

Americans call a fried cheese sandwich "grilled cheese"

That at least makes sense in context: the grilled cheese was popularised in a kitchen with a broiler unit, and at a place and time where those broiler units were called grills.

Not a broiler unit. A flat-top, also known as a "plancha grill".

"Scone" means more than what Starbucks tries to sell at you. There are scones identical to American biscuits. Both are equally delicious. Well... I must admit that I prefer American biscuits over scones due to the lack of bicarb in more recipes. I dislike the faintly metallic, faintly bitter flavour left by bicarb in scones v the yeasty taste of good Southern biscuits.

And at literally every Starbucks

Americans call all pasta "macaroni" and beef mince "hamburgers". They call seasoned pork mince "sausage"

Brits call dried fruit "minced meat" so you're basically just shouting gibberish at this point.

In Australia we just call em Toasties lol

Brits call this biscuits and gravy.

i don't understand your post. scones are popular here. if you understand why scones are popular here, and biscuits are just scones, isn't that your answer?

everything makes sense in context you dingus. the problem is no one acknowledges context when they're being a cunt.

TIL

No Brit has ever called dried fruit "minced meat".

>

this seems to be turning into a pissing context

no we don't, we call a mixture of dried fruit, spices, booze and beef kidney fat mincemeat.

"Mincemeat" is just minced meat with that drunken slur of yours, and it's still a mixture of dried fruit that contains neither mince nor meat.

Americans call yellow plastic "cheese"
>It melts!

>"Mincemeat" is just minced meat with that drunken slur of yours

it's a contraction. and i wasn't correcting you on the actual term. it's called mincemeat because it's minced and (usually) contains meat. historically it had lean meat in, now it's usually just fat.

This must be an old people thing. I've never heard anybody use the term for anything other than minced meat.

What's in a mince pie, user?

Minced meat, dried fruit and spices.

As an Australian who recently moved to another country that makes 'biscuits' I was at first disgusted and apprehensive. I tried one and the differences are there. Scones are, well scones. Biscuits are the same as scones on the outside, but they are much more doughy, moist and soft on the inside. I still prefer scones, because they are made on butter, it seems biscuits are generally made on lard or some solidified form of fat to make them so... moist. They are very heavy to eat.

Veeky Forums - Shallow & Pedantic

you can buy it in jars you bellend. it's one of the biggest christmas traditions we have. you cannot walk through a british town during christmas without encountering mincemeat

more like Veeky Forums - the border between /pol/ and /int/

As a Brit who isn't fond of scones, biscuits sound delicious. I don't like the crumbly, airy nature of scones. But then I also prefer soft, chewy pastry to flaky pastry so what do I know.

american biscuits are made like you'd make pie crust but with more liquid and leavening added to create a blob of dough rather than a sheet.

It actually tradionally contains suet, which is meat.

Although they look similar British Scones are more of a cake and American 'biscuits' are more 'bread-like'.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I just couldn't image a scone being served with fucking gravy.

The only place I really see them are at Starbucks, but they're not very good as far as actual scones go.

Full of salt and fat and starch, that's why. Same reason french fries are so popular too. You're programmed to seek out food like that, because it's full of energy.

Relatively easy to make, relatively quick to bake, the kind of bread you can make in the morning when you're not quite fully awake. Lard (or shortening), cut it with flour, dump in buttermilk and baking soda, mix until just combined, roll out, cut into circles and bake. If you use self-rising flour the salt and baking soda are already there, you just dump in the buttermilk.

Depends on what part of Murica you're in. Up North and out West, they usually just butter some toasted bread, and that's your bread side for breakfast. Frankly speaking toasting some regular bread is easier to do, if you ask me.

But down south, that's biscuit territory. And they are good to eat for breakfast. Not terribly good for you, but they are mmm mmm good. Get some gravy (bechamel sauce) made from the bacon drippings, and you too can become an Amerifat in no time at all.

anyone who wants to try a good british savoury scone should go to the flock-in in the lake district and get a herdwick lamb stew which comes with one, it's fucking elite.

Is comparing a scone to a biscuit like comparing a ring donut to a bagel?

no

scones and biscuits are very similar

No, scones are different. Scones are sweeter and often incorporate fruit, while biscuits are savory and use lots of butter or lard. Scones are so drier and more crumbly while biscuits are moist and fluffy. Biscuits are eaten as a breakfast food with gravy, eggs, coffee, and/or sausage/bacon while scones are more suited to tea, both the beverage and the meal.

>Full of salt and fat and starch, that's why. Same reason french fries are so popular too. You're programmed to seek out food like that, because it's full of energy.

oh my GOD shut UP

S'cones are whole different thing in the U.S. and they are right tasty!

you make a me laugh aloud

Get the aluminum free stuff, no metallic flavor

This is utter bullshit.

This.

They taste good
-american

Scones are sweet and crunchy, biscuits are soft and buttery

to bad those titties aren't gonna save her from pocket kings

This is the same country that invented the sandwich....

right on ya mate lets go to the pub and have some feesh n cheeps

what fucking accent is that supposed to be

it sounds like gap toothed islander to me?

i know right lets flush that dirty island

>I dislike the faintly metallic, faintly bitter flavour left by bicarb in scones

I have eaten scones many times and although they tasted quite nice initially, they have all had a weird aftertaste that I really disliked. Never knew what it was, but I think this could be a good shout.

It's only 01:22 and I've already learned something new today. Thanks user.

it seems like you get these with fried chicken, how am i supposed to eat these?

You pull some fried chicken apart, pull apart a biscuit, drizzle some honey on the biscuit, put the chicken on the biscuit, and fucking eat the fuck out of it.

What the fuck America

Never had scones but biscuits and gravy (homemade gravy not from a mix) is the bees knees.

this is my favourite scon... biscuit recipe

300g (2 cups) self-rising flour, sifted
55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
125ml (1/2 cup) cream
125ml (1/2 cup) lemonade
40ml (2 tablespoons) milk
Jam and whipped cream, to serve

Preheat the oven to 220C(428F). Lightly grease a baking tray.
Place the flour, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the cream and lemonade and mix to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured workbench and knead lightly until combined. Press the dough with your hands to a thickness of about 2cm(3/4"). Use a 6cm (2 1/3") round cutter to cut out 8 scones, place on baking tray and brush the tops with some milk. Re-roll scraps to make a few extra scones. Bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned. Serve warm with your favourite jam... or gravy

LOL

I'm American, but I love scones. TY, saved.

Let me go find my southern grandmother's tried and true biscuit recipe, and I'll post it for your consideration.

I'm from QLD Australia
traditional scones are hard, these are soft soft soft

Awesome, can't wait to try them.

Here's my grandmother's biscuit recipe. These are also sometimes called Angel Biscuits.
(Sorry for the Imperial measurements)

2 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 butter or lard
1 tablespoon warm water
1 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
1 cup buttermilk

Sift dry ingredients together. Cut butter or lard into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Dissolve yeast in warm water, and wait for it to proof (get foamy). Then stir yeast into buttermilk. Combine dry ingredients and liquid ingredients to make a dough. Roll or pat to 1/2 inch thickness on a floured board. Cut into 2 inch biscuits and bake on greased baking sheet until golden, about 10 minutes at 450F.

We always ate these either with meals, sometimes with bacon gravy, and sometimes for breakfast with butter and honey.

*1/2 cup butter or lard *
(sorry)

oh so its like a scone recipe but you cut in the butter like a croissant?

>oh so its like a scone recipe but you cut in the butter like a croissant?
buttermilk flavor is the key difference, really

Here's another one that's in my grandmother's recipe files. This is where things get Amerifat squirrely, though. I only remember her or my mom making these a few times, but I remember them being tasty as fuck.

Kentucky Fried Biscuits:

4 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
2/3 cup warm water
4 cups buttermilk or whole milk
1/2 cup butter or lard
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
7 to 9 cups flour (however much the dough will take)
Oil or Lard for frying

Dissolve yeast in warm water and let proof. Scald milk. Add butter or lard, sugar, and salt. Stir to dissolve and melt butter or lard. Cool to lukewarm. Combine milk and yeast in large bowl. Stir in flour to make a moderately stiff dough. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. Knead lightly on a floured board. Roll or pat dough to 1/2 inch thickness and cut with a 2 inch cutter. (Don't let the biscuits rise too high before frying). Fry in deep fat, slightly hotter than 350F until golden brown (about 1 minute).

I remember eating these with homemade preserves and green tomato jam.

Yeah, sort of. The main difference is less sugar, yeast, and buttermilk.

Buttermilk is used in Scotland, Northern Ireland and the north of England to make scones moreso than in the south, where cream is preferred.
IIRC, most of the WASPs of the American South are descended of people from the north of England while the WASPs of the American north are more descended of people from the south of England. And the Welsh, if you want to call them WASPs.

No one eats bisquits any more senpai. Maybe during breakfast sometimes. And if they are scones why would that mean fewer people should eat them?

You might be believable if you could actually spell "Biscuits", but since you can't, and you spell like a box of pancake mix, your opinion is officially disqualified.

This is objectively wrong. Lots of people eat biscuits frequently.

I'm sorry senpai i turned off my spell check, that shit slows me down. Biscuits. Happy now?

Okay maybe the no one was hyperbole. People don't eat biscuits very frequently in California where I live. At least not enough that i would call them "so popular."

I do sometimes

TOO LATE FUCKER

Dude, I live in California, people eat biscuits ALL THE FUCKING TIME. Every restaurant I've ever been to that offers breakfast or brunch has biscuits on their menu (and usually a biscuit and gravy option as well). Maybe you just live in a shitty place.

Everytime I eat fast-food, [spoiler]I mainly just go to places that serve all day breakfast like Bojangle's[/spoiler] I only eat biscuits. Mainly chicken biscuits. Literally the only good thing about living in the south is having access to Bojangle's god-tier chicken biscuit and fries.

Why are 'burgers' so popular in America? Aren't they just sandwiches?

>Why are 'burgers' so popular...

they're fucking good m8.

> sometime
> "so popular"

I usually get a bacon biscuit, coffee, and bo-rounds every time I do breakfast their. It's absolutely critical to that meal that you drink the coffee black. Bojangles coffee is surprisingly good, and the bitter flavor balances well with the grease.

Doe

Yes, doners serve buscuits. Just say, "but user, i live in cali and diners here serve biscuits." No shit.

Right on. I lived in tennessee for a coupke years and biscuits were much more plentiful. Same when i lived in houston.

This is what this thread should have been. Still cancer but a step in the right direction.

You can buy aluminum free baking powder that won't give you the metallic aftertaste.

When I worked mornings I'd always take my lunch at 9 at go to the bakery for biscuits and gravy. It's a pretty common breakfast food.

What kind of gravy did they use?

Real gravy isn't opaque white you fat yank retards

There are different kinds of gravy.

No, Gravy is brown
Always

gravy is just a fat-sauce.

Not just diners, fool. Even the whole "locavore", "farm to table", "5 course tasting menu" places serve biscuits. You're just a mediocre piece of shit. Sorry you don't get out more.

How much would you like to bet that Britshits actually eat this. Considering what I've seen before, I'm guessing it's a resounding YES.